Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may be because I follow true crime but I personally would rather intervene and than risk someone going off alone, too drunk, and then becoming a victim of crime like an SA.

IMO it’s obvious that all of us on WS follow true crime, that’s why we are here!

Of course I agree, we all would wish we could prevent a tragedy. However, this is all in hindsight.

Since Riley is missing, we have a microscope on his actions. Again, it’s after the fact and when he has been isolated from the crowd.

Yet, AT the bar, which going by what people and MSM are saying, could’ve been 10 or 20 people deep, he was just one more bar patron. Only conspicuous due to his height, nothing more.

I imagine the bartender would primarily check IDs for age, and thereafter be swamped by patrons calling for drinks. I sincerely doubt Riley was the only intoxicated customer surrounding the bar, and even his own friend said there was some kind of precipitating incident (the “good deed” issue).

The bar served him one drink and then two waters. Something had to take place for the bartender or bouncer to tell him to leave. IMO it was perceptive of the bar staff to notice him in the crowd and after he’d only had one alcoholic drink there.

IMO this is seconded by the next bar deciding he wasn’t worth the trouble and refusing him entry.

If we could all predict what would happen next, I believe we would ALL intervene. It seems drunk people wind up in bodies of water all too frequently. Perhaps the bartender or bouncer could not glance at him and think “oh, he’s the one, better tail him home.”

JMO and I know we disagree.

I wonder about Riley's mental health at the time? I wonder if they went to Nashville for the same Frat trip last year?? Everyone says how lost he was but maybe he wasn't lost at all...
After learning here about a second “Tempo” near downtown Nashville, it seems likely Riley was heading to Your Tempo—a music manufacturing company—just blocks from where he vanished. Perhaps he got his Tempo by Hilton and Your Tempo confused as he set out navigating by his phone… this may be why others describe him as “walking with intent”, “not looking lost or distressed” when he spoke to the cop with the body cam. It’s likely Riley thought he was “almost there”, back to his Hotel, but he was headed straight towards the other Tempo building along the river…. MOO

FWIW, reading account after account on a Nashville locals discussion forum saying they now avoid this area of Nashville after been drugged once, (sometimes twice), at the downtown Broadway bars. It seems to happen early in the evening hours when the second drink is served.

It appears two of the worst offenders are Luke Bryan’s and Kid Rock’s honkeytonks. According to locals, this has been going on for years with the Nashville Mayor’s office and LE fully aware.
JMO

A few 2023 news articles linked below with peoples accounts of being drugged at these Nashville establishments.

Nashville police told News 4 in that city that Walsh is the fifth man since April to report having been drugged and “rolled,” or robbed, after talking with women at downtown bars.‘

Wilbraham man 5th to get roofied and ‘rolled’ in Nashville, police say

‘Two tourists in Music City said they were drugged and robbed. The men say they were targeted by two women in a bar’

Two tourists in Music City say they were drugged and robbed

‘it seems that folks with nefarious intentions also see the city as an opportunity to drug and sexually assault those looking for a good time. She adds in her video that she was “told by the doctor Luke Bryan’s bar is the most #1 bar they’ve had girls my age come in roofied.”

'I seriously thought I was dying': Woman says she was 'roofied' at Luke Bryan's bar

Last edited:
JMO, but I feel strongly that he tried to type (or maybe even more likely speak), "good lots", because the text he was responding to asked him 2 questions, "how are you?" and "are you having fun?"

So he answered 2 questions:

"how are you?" with "good"

"having fun?" with "lots", typoing "lops".

(Or if speak-to-texting, "lots" wrongly sent as "lops".)
Semantics, but usually if it’s voice to text it says “sent with Siri,” if it was an iPhone. IIRC it looked like an iPhone message exchange but I don’t remember for sure, so I could be wrong.

Semantics, but usually if it’s voice to text it says “sent with Siri,” if it was an iPhone. IIRC it looked like an iPhone message exchange but I don’t remember for sure, so I could be wrong.
I don’t think this is always correct. It says that if you’re having Siri send the text. If you’re voice texting by pressing the mic button on the reply, it’s doesn’t. So depends on how the voice text was generated.

There's a tremendous amount of construction all over downtown Nashville. Riley passed by some of it. As far as i know, all of it is active so people have been there working since Riley disappeared, but these are large spaces.

Yes, a person could fall into who knows what... The areas are huge.

If it wasn't known from video that he was near the river, i would think these places would be more likely just because they are streets. It could be on the map still that you should be able to use them. I guess, in a way, you could. They have not disappeared the street, you could decide to cut through. I am not saying that you should, just that it is physically possible. It would look more inviting than the Cumberland River.

After learning here about a second “Tempo” near downtown Nashville, it seems likely Riley was heading to Your Tempo—a music manufacturing company—just blocks from where he vanished. Perhaps he got his Tempo by Hilton and Your Tempo confused as he set out navigating by his phone… this may be why others describe him as “walking with intent”, “not looking lost or distressed” when he spoke to the cop with the body cam. It’s likely Riley thought he was “almost there”, back to his Hotel, but he was headed straight towards the other Tempo building along the river…. MOO
That’s a tragic twist of fate.

There's a tremendous amount of construction all over downtown Nashville. Riley passed by some of it. As far as i know, all of it is active so people have been there working since Riley disappeared, but these are large spaces.

Yes, a person could fall into who knows what... The areas are huge.

If it wasn't known from video that he was near the river, i would think these places would be more likely just because they are streets. It could be on the map still that you should be able to use them. I guess, in a way, you could. They have not disappeared the street, you could decide to cut through. I am not saying that you should, just that it is physically possible. It would look more inviting than the Cumberland River.
It’s been a few months since I’ve been down there but from my recollection the major construction sites are pretty well fenced off. Again, I think there would be video evidence if he got into a construction site.

I
Whatever it was specifically, he was so intoxicated that the next bar he went to wouldn’t allow him in. Bars can kick people out for any reason at all, provided it isn’t discriminatory. I’ve seen people thrown out for a lot less than what likely happened here. It sounded to me like even that family friend understood the bar’s reasoning.

Riley was able to pull it together when he encountered that police officer. You see that behavior with alcohol but I wouldn’t expect it with some sort of roofie.

That’s besides the fact that there’s no point drugging some guy in the presence of his friends, when you have no reasonable expectation you’re going to be able to get to him alone.

He wasn’t followed. He wasn’t robbed. It’s such an unnecessary incredible reach when you have a scenario that happens all the time. People get drunk and drown.
Agree…and to instill liability onto bar personnel, you’re looking at a whole new set of potential lawsuits, IMO. Guess you’re dammed if you do and damned if you don’t!

I

Agree…and to instill liability onto bar personnel, you’re looking at a whole new set of potential lawsuits, IMO. Guess you’re dammed if you do and damned if you don’t!
It all would certainly make me not want to be a bartender or server in an establishment like that. It's one thing to monitor, say, 10 tables in a nice sit-down restaurant and on occasion one person may seem out of sorts, but video I've seen inside that bar and similar ones looks more like what I would call a club. While there are bars inside, there are hundreds of people standing, holding drinks, dancing, enjoying themselves. How could any staff member ever really keep track of where the drinks are going?

Whatever it was specifically, he was so intoxicated that the next bar he went to wouldn’t allow him in. Bars can kick people out for any reason at all, provided it isn’t discriminatory. I’ve seen people thrown out for a lot less than what likely happened here. It sounded to me like even that family friend understood the bar’s reasoning.

Riley was able to pull it together when he encountered that police officer. You see that behavior with alcohol but I wouldn’t expect it with some sort of roofie.

That’s besides the fact that there’s no point drugging some guy in the presence of his friends, when you have no reasonable expectation you’re going to be able to get to him alone.

He wasn’t followed. He wasn’t robbed. It’s such an unnecessary incredible reach when you have a scenario that happens all the time. People get drunk and drown.
Agreed! I have kept up with this since the beginning but I don’t remember seeing a statement with the reason RS was denied entry to the other bar. The reason he was asked to leave Luke’s 32 Bridge was vague, due to conduct standards or something like that. We haven’t heard much or anything really from his buddies but I get the impression that they didn’t think he was that intoxicated. IMO

It’s been a few months since I’ve been down there but from my recollection the major construction sites are pretty well fenced off. Again, I think there would be video evidence if he got into a construction site.
I don't think he necessarily did go into one.

I'm just saying they might make things more confusing.

There's video of him near the river and that is past the construction anyway.

I

I think the footage of him being denied a drink and then denied entry will actually help the bars with any potential litigation. That’s one of the interesting things about this case-all the security footage.

I think the footage of him being denied a drink and then denied entry will actually help the bars with any potential litigation. That’s one of the interesting things about this case-all the security footage.
That's for sure! Can you imagine if there was *none* at all, from anywhere? They'd be looking for him near the bar, would have zero idea, possibly, of where he'd walked to, etc. More of a nightmare in a different way, than it is, when you think about it.

I think I need to clarify that I wasn’t stating that the bar IS liable. I was sharing that bars CAN be liable per the Law that I linked. Regardless of opinion, this is the law we are taught when we receive our certification to serve alcohol.

Luke Bryan’s was quick to put out a CYA statement stating they followed this law by selling Riley one drink, cutting him off when they saw he was too drunk, only giving him water and then eventually asking him to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti