Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #3

I wonder if the quick identification was his wallet still in his pocket, other personal possessions still on him, etc.

It’s possible, but I would presume much of the wallet’s contents would be waterlogged after two weeks, although plastic like a driver’s license should be legible.

I hate saying it, but a body in the water for two weeks is typically unrecognizable. I would guess his unusual height was the most overt clue. The water wouldn’t change that, if he was in one piece (sorry to have to say this).

I said awhile ago that I also feel terrible for Officer Young. I really do. From the video there was absolutely nothing tangible to indicate that Riley was headed for trouble, but I imagine the officer will beat himself up with the “if only” thoughts.

In NYC, cops do not normally say “how ya doin’” when they pass by. They are too too busy, there are way too many people walking by, and it’s not Southern culture here, of course. I thought it was remarkable that the officer on the way to a car burglary even bothered to greet Riley in the first place.

JMO

Agreed - I don’t agree with blaming the establishment for over-serving an individual unless it was blatant over-serving (I.e. multiple alcoholic beverages to an individual who is clearly very intoxicated). It’s difficult to always identify when someone is too drunk. Some people don’t act as intoxicated as they really are. I know in Riley’s case he was falling down drunk, but he may not have been that way when he was served the one drink at that bar. Once it became apparent he was too intoxicated, they served him water as they should. MOO.
He's young and dumb like most this age think they are invincible. They go out or away with plans to get wasted because somehow that's a good time. I'm not knocking him nor do I mean to sound harsh. I'm a mom with bad experiences from my own kids. They aren't bad people, just make poor choices. We need to change the idea that alcohol is fun. We need to change the party experience, happy hour, 1/2 price drinks, party buses and spring break vacation ideas to things that don't involve alcohol, especially Excessive alcohol.
Rest in Peace Riley, prayers for his family and friends.

Last edited:
Not sure whether anyone has highlighted this in news accounts:

"Given Strain's height and weight, police were expecting his body to surface between 14 and 20 days if it was in the Cumberland River.

"This is the 14th day so we were really expecting anytime soon to find him," Drake said.

...around the homeless camp where the debit card was found was brushier and more treed. She might not have realized how far north he got when she said that.

Just wanted to say thank you, @GatorFL, for this. As one who questioned sliding/tumbling down that section of the riverbank, this gave me all the explanation I needed, in a kind, respectful way. Much appreciated. (I'm not sure I was the "she" being discussed, but I did have that question myself; NOT if someone could accidentally fall into a river, but how it might have occurred in that particular spot with that particular terrain.)

Goodbye, Riley. Stay close to your parents, if you can, so they'll feel your strength when they need it most.

healthy mock tails anyone? feel bad for his parents. only consolation is that if you go out in your prime, you miss the gradual deterioration and possible indignities of old age

Mayor suggests barriers for Nashville’s entertainment district after Riley Strain’s body recovered from river

“I could certainly imagine there being barriers that made it harder to get from the sidewalk into the areas of growth that are right there along the riverbank.”

IMG_8851.jpeg

I am so sad that this was the outcome, but felt in my heart that this would be the ONLY outcome. The embankments are very steep in that area and it's very easy to get lost in Nashville. My prayers are with his family. Please hug your babies every chance you get. :-(

When I learned there was a river where he was last seen it was obvious what had happened to this poor bloke.

Shame on his friends for not leaving with him when he was thrown out.
So so sad. I feel terrible for his family and especially his mom. :(

I also read that the bar only served him one drink and then 2 waters. Has anyone (media)interviewed his friends?

What was the conduct that got him kicked out of the bar? He seems(ed) :( so non-aggressive.

But I also read that when he was kicked out one of his friends started leaving with him. Then the bar refused to let the friend go with him. ????? Did anyone else read that? Seems impossible but …

Moo

So so sad. I feel terrible for his family and especially his mom. :(

I also read that the bar only served him one drink and then 2 waters. Has anyone (media)interviewed his friends?

What was the conduct that got him kicked out of the bar? He seems(ed) :( so non-aggressive.

But I also read that when he was kicked out one of his friends started leaving with him. Then the bar refused to let the friend go with him. ????? Did anyone else read that? Seems impossible but …

Moo
Yes, as I understand it, one of the friends left his tab to another and ran out after him but by the time he made it to the street, Riley was gone.

So the video of him passing the police officer has him walking upright and not slurring his words, even though he spoke very few. You would think that if he was really in trouble he could had asked for directions back to hotel as he was an out of towner. Obviously they were not there to track him down, and even referred to him as “Sir.”

Unless there was some nefarious plot to get him to that bridge to throw him in, you really can’t point the finger at anybody here. I mean, how many times a night do big cities, especially big tourist towns like Nashville, have other inebriated people kicked out of establishments and/or encounter police officers? And the vast, vast majority of them don’t end up drowning the same night.

Sad for his family, but this event is really an anomaly.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvfire1018
Back