April 08, 2024 Solar Eclipse

why stock up on groceries and have a full gas tank?
Because of the drain of resources on our very small town by thousands of extra people I suppose. And also due to extreme traffic congestion. I’m hoping they’re exaggerating. But I’m staying home anyway, lol.
Oh, I read to stock up in groceries somewhere else.

This is what they posted on the city’s website:

We expect thousands, if not tens of thousands, of visitors​

What to expect:​

•Influx of travelers from all over the world​

•Hotels, restaurants, and businesses will be crowded​

•Large Crowds​

•Increased traffic in days leading to event​

•EXTREME congestion and traffic after eclipse ends.​

•Mass exodus of tens of thousands of travelers at once, could cause several hour delays for travel.​

Things to consider for April 8th:​

•Fill up gas tanks prior to the weekend​

•Allow for lots of extra travel time.​

•Be kind! This is a rare, one day event.​

•Get eclipse glasses EARLY. They are required to view this historic celestial event.​

Learn more here

I'm in northern Maine and in the path of totality. Anyone else concerned that NASA is launching 3 rockets into the eclipse on April 8? (Yes, they really are - Google it). I find it odd that several states are calling out their National Guard to be on hand in the event of "HAZMAT" needs :)

I'm in the direct path and so excited to see it. I have heard and read the reason this is being suggested is because many of the incoming visitors will put a pretty heavy strain on the local grocery stores and gas stations.
Niagara region is anticipating over a million incoming travelers to view, so they've already declared it a state of emergency there. Out of an abundance of caution, they're saying. Solar eclipse: State of emergency declared in Niagara Region | Globalnews.ca

My hope is, they were over-reacting and everyone will behave and it'll all be fine. :cool:
Arkansas is preparing too. Officials say the eclipse “has the potential to be the largest tourism event in the state’s history.” Wowzer!

Arkansas is preparing too. Officials say the eclipse “has the potential to be the largest tourism event in the state’s history.” Wowzer!
I know, wowzer for sure. It's actually pretty cool. As long as everyone behaves, I mean. :D

I'm also in California, so will only see a 50 % eclipse. My daughter though is going to Quebec where she has friends, and a group of them will be on top of Mt Orford.

I studied in Montreal.....and way back then there was a complete solar eclipse. I'll never forget, because we had no clue it was going to happen, since we were deep in intensive studies. Everything went dark, in the middle of the day. Very bizarre and scary when you don't know why.

We're just outside of totality in Ohio, and almost all schools are dismissing early on that day. You can imagine the local Facebook talk groups complaints about that...but really, the eclipse is going to happen right around their normal dismissal time, the school staff members couldn't possibly make sure all of the kids avoid looking at the eclipse on their walk out to the bus zone!

We've gotten the gas and groceries advice, too.

I'm in the direct path and so excited to see it. I have heard and read the reason this is being suggested is because many of the incoming visitors will put a pretty heavy strain on the local grocery stores and gas stations.
Niagara region is anticipating over a million incoming travelers to view, so they've already declared it a state of emergency there. Out of an abundance of caution, they're saying. Solar eclipse: State of emergency declared in Niagara Region | Globalnews.ca

My hope is, they were over-reacting and everyone will behave and it'll all be fine. :cool:

wow it didn't even occur to me!

Because of the drain of resources on our very small town by thousands of extra people I suppose. And also due to extreme traffic congestion. I’m hoping they’re exaggerating. But I’m staying home anyway, lol.

•Large Crowds​

•Mass exodus of tens of thousands of travelers at once, could cause several hour delays for travel.​

•Get eclipse glasses EARLY. They are required to view this historic celestial event.​

Learn more here

crazy! and now I'm glad to be staying home too!

Many of the National Guard troops are going to be deployed to very sparsely populated areas, mainly for traffic control. I could also understand critical access hospitals being prepared for events, the most likely being van or RV wrecks with multiple casualties - as in an astronomy club that rented the vehicle. As an eclipse veteran myself (2017), most people who travel for this are going to bring everything they need with them, and pack it all out afterwards or at least dispose of their trash properly.

Where I see it will depend on the weather. I'm hoping for western Indiana.

•Large Crowds​

Learn more here
I don’t know how that font got so huge. :eek: I thought I reduced it, tried more than once. I posted it and walked away and now just saw how big it still is!

Note that this photo (pasted below) does not show a TOTAL solar eclipse but an annular eclipse, in which the moon never totally covers the sun. There's a "ring of fire" around the moon and it's not safe to look at it without eye protection. There was an annular eclipse last October that crossed the US from Oregon to Texas that some of you may have seen.

1712160055305.png

We have seen two total eclipses, one in Mexico where we traveled with a group that included our son and some friends, and the other in South Carolina in 2017. We live in NC and drove to see that one, ended up watching from a gas station at a rural crossroads with a handful of other people. Viewing a total eclipse is an awe-inspiring event! Once the moon totally covers the sun, you can remove your eye protection for a short time (length of totality varies by where you are in the path) and look directly at the eclipsed sun--and marvel at the sun's stunning corona that becomes visible.

I hope many of you get to see it safely using eclipse glasses. I'm afraid cloudy skies will prevent viewing for a lot of the path. Our son lives in Vermont on the edge of the path and hopes to see the eclipse, but the odds of sunny skies on April 8 are not high. I wish we could see it but we are too far from the path. If it's sunny here, we can go out with our eclipse glasses and see a partial eclipse, which is interesting but nothing like totality!

If you haven't already checked out this site, it's worth doing:

I thought I would start a thread for this in case anyone would like to discuss it.

Thank you @neesaki for this thread! I finally got around to reading it, and I do envy you and others posting here who are in or near the path of totality--wish I was. Here in central NC we will see only a partial eclipse (assuming the weather cooperates).

If you get to see the eclipse, pay attention to how birds and animals react during totality. During the 2017 total eclipse, we were in SC and horses in the field nearby went to the barn when it started getting dark!

Tonight "Great American Eclipse" will premiere on PBS at 8 p.m., and you can also watch the episode on your computer on this site:
Explore the spectacular cosmic phenomenon of a total solar eclipse.

We will record this show as we do all NOVA episodes. Our grandson who's in Australia for a year is planning to call us tonight during the time the show airs, so we will probably watch it after the call.

There will also be a livestream of the eclipse on April 8 that we can watch:
On April 8, 2024, millions of Americans will witness the rare event of a solar eclipse that will cross the continental United States. Join NOVA for a live stream prior to the eclipse where we will be joined by NASA scientists at the Kerrville Eclipse Festival in Texas!

Learn how to watch an eclipse safely, discover what eclipses can reveal to scientists about the secrets of the Sun, and hear from the eclipse festival attendees.

Yes, we're in the path of totality. NE Ohio is getting ready for all the visitors. Our neighborhood is having an event at our park. Assume the kids will all be home from school. I have a supply of glasses and will get my DSLR camera ready.

I'm going to use a remote to take photos, but there are special instructions if you plan to take photos. You have to be careful because it will damage your camera w/o using the protective solar filters.

Yes, we're in the path of totality. NE Ohio is getting ready for all the visitors. Our neighborhood is having an event at our park. Assume the kids will all be home from school. I have a supply of glasses and will get my DSLR camera ready.

I'm going to use a remote to take photos, but there are special instructions if you plan to take photos. You have to be careful because it will damage your camera w/o using the protective solar filters.

Great! I look forward to seeing your photos. We used protective solar filters on our binoculars and our SLR camera at the eclipse we saw in Mexico in 1991. Now we just have our phones, which aren't great for photographing an eclipse.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frisca
Back