April 08, 2024 Solar Eclipse

neesaki

Reaction score
I thought I would start a thread for this in case anyone would like to discuss it.

I am going to be on a return flight from London and (fingers crossed) will intercept it over Canada! My two kids in Indiana are right in the path and part of the viewing events at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
I’m in the path in Texas. They say our small town will be flooded with visitors, and to stock up on groceries and have a full gas tank. I did that today, and plan to stay off the road starting at least by Friday. I will watch it from my own back yard. I saw an eclipse years ago and didn’t think it was anything special. I don’t even remember which one or the year, except that I was pretty young. Yes, I’m old now, lol.

I just checked the weather for the 8th, and it’s showing clouds and rain. How will anyone see the eclipse with clouds? Anyone know how that works?

I'm in northern Maine and in the path of totality. Anyone else concerned that NASA is launching 3 rockets into the eclipse on April 8? (Yes, they really are - Google it). I find it odd that several states are calling out their National Guard to be on hand in the event of "HAZMAT" needs :)

Last edited:
My area will only see about 97% of totality but I am stoked anyway. I recall being a kid in elementary and our class (heck our whole school) made those DIY viewers and went and stood on the playground to watch an eclipse. It was cool!

My area will only see about 97% of totality but I am stoked anyway. I recall being a kid in elementary and our class (heck our whole school) made those DIY viewers and went and stood on the playground to watch an eclipse. It was cool!

Others of us old people have slides in our family slide shows of standing around with Mom-made pin-hole box cameras over our heads in the driveway -- early to mid-60's.

Maybe some nat'l unifying over the astronomical event?

We can hope....

Predicted to be darker than 2017 here in Ozarkistan.

Mr. Laughing will (barring weather) get on a motorcycle & head for a totality location.

I put eclipse glasses in the Easter baskets.

RBBM

What a great way to celebrate Easter!

Others of us old people have slides in our family slide shows of standing around with Mom-made pin-hole box cameras over our heads in the driveway -- early to mid-60's.

We can hope....

RBBM

Saw someone doing just that at the 2017 eclipse.

JMVHO

Last edited:
Up here in Washington state we’ll see barely a cookie bite. Luckily I’m so freaking old I’ve had the opportunity to witness a few past eclipses.:p

Many astronomy clubs will be hosting viewings using solar scopes that have special filters to protect your eyes while giving you a spectacular glimpse, so check your local papers!

Last edited:
If only!

Sadly, even this seems to be yet another contributing factor in the tearing apart of our social fabric. :( I live in the path of totality. The local news has been posting about the event ad nauseum and the locals have been fighting with each other over the whole thing.

well I ordered glasses and was looking forward to it - south of my city is 99% and there's a town about 40 minutes away that is supposed to be the best viewing for totality

however, now my husband has to work and he has convinced me not to risk it since I only have one good eye

so I'll be looking at pictures online lol

I’m in the path in Texas. They say our small town will be flooded with visitors, and to stock up on groceries and have a full gas tank. I did that today, and plan to stay off the road starting at least by Friday. I will watch it from my own back yard. I saw an eclipse years ago and didn’t think it was anything special. I don’t even remember which one or the year, except that I was pretty young. Yes, I’m old now, lol.

I just checked the weather for the 8th, and it’s showing clouds and rain. How will anyone see the eclipse with clouds? Anyone know how that works?

why stock up on groceries and have a full gas tank?

why stock up on groceries and have a full gas tank?
I'm in the direct path and so excited to see it. I have heard and read the reason this is being suggested is because many of the incoming visitors will put a pretty heavy strain on the local grocery stores and gas stations.
Niagara region is anticipating over a million incoming travelers to view, so they've already declared it a state of emergency there. Out of an abundance of caution, they're saying. Solar eclipse: State of emergency declared in Niagara Region | Globalnews.ca

My hope is, they were over-reacting and everyone will behave and it'll all be fine. :cool:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happyhen
Back