Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #181

Status
Not open for further replies.
04/15/2024Order Issued
Ex parte communication from James Beverton and Savas Gunn ordered copied and sent to counsel of record and the Clerk of Carroll Circuit Court.
Judicial Officer:
Gull, Frances -SJ
Noticed:
McLeland, Nicholas Charles
Noticed:
Baldwin, Andrew Joseph
Noticed:
Rozzi, Bradley Anthony
Noticed:
Luttrull, James David JR
Noticed:
Diener, Stacey Lynn
Order Signed:
04/15/2024

Snipped for focus, emphasis mine:

6. However, when the Liggett and Mullin amped up the intensity of
their questioning, (even positioning their bodies closer to Rick), Rick
said the following: “It’s over. I was perfectly fine. I was cooperating.
I was going to give you my phone and then, you know, when you
started reading all these documents – that’s at the – here’s my thing
is. I feel like you guys think I done this. So, I’m done. You do what
you need to do. It’s your job. I understand that, but you better <edit for language>
leave my reputation out if it. So you do what you need to do, and then,
like I said, when you do find this guy, I’ll expect the apology.” Rick
then described how police were trying to ruin his reputation by
accusing him of the murders in public, even groping him as they
patted him down in the street. Rick was expressing that the mere act
of mentioning his name as a possible killer or patting him down on a
public street as if he were a criminal would ruin his reputation and
was greatly upsetting.

This was before he was questioned with his wife. He told them he was done. More than once. That should have been the end of it right there. No more questions without a lawyer present. In quotes; not a defense interpretation of the facts. Actual quotes. Disaster.
Right after this it says he got up and walked out.

Liggett and Mullin did read Rick Allen his Miranda rights before
they began their interrogation, and additionally Rick Allen was
aware that he had freedom of movement as he (Rick) ultimately stood
up and walked out of the interrogation room.
8. However, at the end of the interview (that turned into an aggressive
interrogation) Rick made it clear that he no longer wanted to talk to
law enforcement.

Right after this it says he got up and walked out.

Liggett and Mullin did read Rick Allen his Miranda rights before
they began their interrogation, and additionally Rick Allen was
aware that he had freedom of movement as he (Rick) ultimately stood
up and walked out of the interrogation room.
8. However, at the end of the interview (that turned into an aggressive
interrogation) Rick made it clear that he no longer wanted to talk to
law enforcement.
I'm not following you. How does that matter?

Yet another piece of reasonable doubt with the partial interview being recorded. LE isn’t going themselves many favors with these missteps. I wouldn’t be shocked to see a hung jury.

04/15/2024Order Issued
Ex parte communication from James Beverton and Savas Gunn ordered copied and sent to counsel of record and the Clerk of Carroll Circuit Court.
Judicial Officer:
Gull, Frances -SJ
Noticed:
McLeland, Nicholas Charles
Noticed:
Baldwin, Andrew Joseph
Noticed:
Rozzi, Bradley Anthony
Noticed:
Luttrull, James David JR
Noticed:
Diener, Stacey Lynn
Order Signed:
04/15/2024
Do we have any idea what this might be about? More letters to Judge Gull?

Snipped for focus, emphasis mine:

6. However, when the Liggett and Mullin amped up the intensity of
their questioning, (even positioning their bodies closer to Rick), Rick
said the following: “It’s over. I was perfectly fine. I was cooperating.
I was going to give you my phone and then, you know, when you
started reading all these documents – that’s at the – here’s my thing
is. I feel like you guys think I done this. So, I’m done. You do what
you need to do. It’s your job. I understand that, but you better <edit for language>
leave my reputation out if it. So you do what you need to do, and then,
like I said, when you do find this guy, I’ll expect the apology.” Rick
then described how police were trying to ruin his reputation by
accusing him of the murders in public, even groping him as they
patted him down in the street. Rick was expressing that the mere act
of mentioning his name as a possible killer or patting him down on a
public street as if he were a criminal would ruin his reputation and
was greatly upsetting.

This was before he was questioned with his wife. He told them he was done. More than once. That should have been the end of it right there. No more questions without a lawyer present. In quotes; not a defense interpretation of the facts. Actual quotes. Disaster.
Regarding what you stated here, that has been my understanding; but, then in the Kline case, he said he wanted an atty a number of times but they just kept right on questioning him. I assumed I just misunderstood rules.
"This was before he was questioned with his wife. He told them he was done. More than once. That should have been the end of it right there. No more questions without a lawyer present. In quotes; not a defense interpretation of the facts. Actual quotes. Disaster."

I'm not following you. How does that matter?
was replying to the bolded part of your statement I snipped below. Simply saying after that he did walk out. It's the 2nd interview that's more of an "issue".

Regarding what you stated here, that has been my understanding; but, then in the Kline case, he said he wanted an atty a number of times but they just kept right on questioning him. I assumed I just misunderstood rules.
Davis v. U.S. (512 U.S. 453 (1994): Davis v. United States, 512 U.S. 452 (1994).

Once a suspect invokes a right to counsel, questioning should immediately stop until an attorney is present.

Here is more on post arrest silence, which is different than here. I don't know the facts of Kline, but maybe differences in pre and post arrest questioning?

was replying to the bolded part of your statement I snipped below. Simply saying after that he did walk out. It's the 2nd interview that's more of an "issue".

They are both an issue. Once he has invoked a right to counsel, they cannot question him until he has spoken with an attorney. That day, next day, next week. Must speak with an attorney.

Regarding the question of whether police violated his Miranda rights, I guess the prosecution argument would be that he didn't clearly invoke his right to an attorney. That's a really iffy argument. It seems he clearly was done with pre arrest questioning. IMO

ETA: thanks for clarifying @vinayd

Last edited:
Did he ever ask for attorney that we know of? Or did he just leave?
No he just left. Warrant went out hours after and they removed the veh. The next time he comes in to "pickup" the veh another line of questioning begins and he is arrested.

- Would they already have back some results from the search warrant? Why was this not mentioned in the interrogation? Or was it?

Regarding the question of whether police violated his Miranda rights, I guess the prosecution argument would be that he didn't clearly invoke his right to an attorney. That's a really iffy argument. It seems he clearly was done with pre arrest questioning.
I have to wonder if he had the opportunity to invoke his Miranda rights if he wasn't even informed of them.

Oh right....he shot them in the back. I forgot.

No he didn’t.

That’s what RA spewed in his so called psychotic state where actual items used in the crime revealed his propensity for ruminations further perverting the case with his willingness to admit that he could envision himself murdering the girls with the alternative method of killing he had at his disposal.

All imo

No he just left. Warrant went out hours after and they removed the veh. The next time he comes in to "pickup" the veh another line of questioning begins and he is arrested.

- Would they already have back some results from the search warrant? Why was this not mentioned in the interrogation? Or was it?

Since we haven't read or heard the whole thing, maybe it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imaguppynotashark