IN - Shanda Sharer, 12, Madison, 11 January 1992

believe09,

Desiderata is beautiful isn't it? I'm so glad seeing that verse from it brought you warm memories. Your grandparents sound like they were wonderful people.

I hope you have a very special day, wrapped in warmth and care :blowkiss:

You as well-someone be sure and post any updates on what happens today...

:blowkiss:

On a side not, the Desiderata was posted in my grandparents house on a huge board that they had hung in their kitchen. I read it and quoted it thousands of time, as did my siblings and cousins. My grandparents were special, loving, accepting people so thank you for bringing back some very warm memories.

I love The Desiderata too!!!

Here are two links with an update-the judge will not rule until sometime next year-I think that is intolerable! Melissa was shown up by her attorney from 1992 for being a liar...such a surprise!
"Melinda Loveless was just 16-years-old at the time, today she is 32.

She walked into court Thursday morning hoping a judge would overturn that sentence and set her free. Her attorney argued Loveless was coerced into accepting a plea agreement in order to avoid the death penalty. However, Loveless' 1992 attorney testified today that he did not force the plea agreement on his client and his client seemed to understand exactly what she was signing.

Loveless' defense attorney also argued his client was not competent to sign the plea agreement because she was a minor at the time."

http://www.wishtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7460302&nav=menu35_2

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071206/NEWS02/71206025

Here are two links with an update-the judge will not rule until sometime next year-I think that is intolerable! Melissa was shown up by her attorney from 1992 for being a liar...such a surprise!
"Melinda Loveless was just 16-years-old at the time, today she is 32.

She walked into court Thursday morning hoping a judge would overturn that sentence and set her free. Her attorney argued Loveless was coerced into accepting a plea agreement in order to avoid the death penalty. However, Loveless' 1992 attorney testified today that he did not force the plea agreement on his client and his client seemed to understand exactly what she was signing.

Loveless' defense attorney also argued his client was not competent to sign the plea agreement because she was a minor at the time."

http://www.wishtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7460302&nav=menu35_2

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071206/NEWS02/71206025

Thanks for that update. Are you saying it's intolerable for Shanda's family to wait until next year for an answer? Of course, if next year were in January - that wouldn't be too bad.

Thanks for that update. Are you saying it's intolerable for Shanda's family to wait until next year for an answer? Of course, if next year were in January - that wouldn't be too bad.

Yes, I think it is intolerable-what is he going on vacation? It makes me think that she may either be getting out or getting a new trial...why not just pull the trigger on it and say, "Sorry devil's spawn-you are staying where you are...see ya in 5 years."

Yes, I think it is intolerable-what is he going on vacation? It makes me think that she may either be getting out or getting a new trial...why not just pull the trigger on it and say, "Sorry devil's spawn-you are staying where you are...see ya in 5 years."

Well, I don't know the legal or oral arguments that Loveless's attorney made to the Court, but it would be unheard of that a decision of this magnitude would be handed down immediately. The Court really has to weigh the facts and research the law - and a person's life hangs in the balance, so none of that is taken lightly.

I am sure Shanda's family was warned that there would probably be a bit of a wait.

I am sure you are right, but to me the decision should not be a big one-tha answer is "No, you were lucky not to get the DP, so be happy you can still breathe fresh air rather than your own flesh burning." Just venting a little, southcity...

I am sure you are right, but to me the decision should not be a big one-tha answer is "No, you were lucky not to get the DP, so be happy you can still breathe fresh air rather than your own flesh burning." Just venting a little, southcity...

I hear you, sister! Truly I do. Even if the Judge is thinking exactly what you are, the Court still has to make it look good, right?

From a legal standpoint, I'm just curious as to what arguments were made on Loveless's behalf. Although I am a believer in people being able to change for the better, I would not be crushed if Ms. Loveless did the rest of her changing behind bars.

I hear you, sister! Truly I do. Even if the Judge is thinking exactly what you are, the Court still has to make it look good, right?

From a legal standpoint, I'm just curious as to what arguments were made on Loveless's behalf. Although I am a believer in people being able to change for the better, I would not be crushed if Ms. Loveless did the rest of her changing behind bars.

You are the kind of "kind" I aspire too :blowkiss:

I believe actually the argument is interesting-That Melinda was a minor when she signed her plea deal so she was not in a position to make the decision.

Thank you believe09 and southcitymom for posting updates!! I was away all day ( took my Dad to the Dr. & Mom grocery shopping) Kept thinking about this all day .... wondering what the judge would say.

Jacque will have to hold on to her strength a little longer. I wish the judge would have given a new date. 'Early next year' could be January, like southcitymom said.:confused: It's hard to tell.

believe09, I never thought about that until you stated it 'be happy you can still breath fresh air instead of your own flesh burning' Such a true statement.

Thanks again for the update. Couldn't wait to get back home from Mom and Dad's to find out.

The key difference is that you didn't murder-I admire your growth and the journey you have taken, southcity. All teens lie, cheat and steal-some worse than other depending on how they have been raised. Some teen's experiment with drugs out of desperation, depression and a need to escape. But with all of that self confessed "weakness", south city, you did not torture a 12 year old to death over a period of 8-10 hours. I believe teens are impulsive and they have immature brains-but this activity falls outside of that biochemical excuse. And who those women are today is immaterial-what is the appropriate punishment for the crime? There are plenty of ways for them to do good deeds within the prison walls if they want to make restitution to society-help other women who will be leaving because of lesser crimes.

No disrespect
:clap: :clap: Well said, believe!

I am not the same person I was 20 years ago either, but even when I was young and rebellious and doing stupid things, I could never have harmed anyone physically, let alone torture and burn them alive. It's just not in my heart or being/core. It's not even a possibility. I would imagine that people who are able to commit such evil acts don't have the same "core" that those of us who "do no harm" do. I don't think that just goes away any more than it would just occur in someone like me. It's WHO YOU ARE. Doing dumb things as a teen may be normal, but this was no spur-of-the-moment accident or moment of immaturity - this took hours and they got enjoyment from another person's suffering. That's not humane or acceptable, no matter what your age, IMO.

I don't believe these women should have had their sentences reduced. My prayers to Shanda's mom and family.

I am also upset that the state paid for her to get a college education. I haven't committed any heinous crime and my state isn't offering me free schooling - why does a convicted murderer receive benefits that us law-abiding citizens don't?? I don't understand that.

There will never be justice for shanda. Not with the other 2 out already and i am sure the other 2 will follow soon.

I noticed that crimelibrary's feature on Shanda Sharer has been updated. The headline for the story is "Shanda Sharer - The brutal murder of a 12-year-old girl, and a bizarre tale of lesbianism and domination."

I have noticed that most of the articles and books on Shanda's murder really play up the "lesbianism" (is that even a word?) aspect. This sickens and enrages me to no end. To associate words like "lesbianism" and "domination" with the horrifying murder of a 12 year old CHILD is practically pandering to pedophilia, in my opinion.

What do y'all think? This is the first thread I have ever started, btw :)

I don't really understand your outrage.

The entire situation revolved around lesbian relationships and the victim as well as the killers are all under age. I see no pedophilia here and the dominance issue seems fair too.

It is sad and appauling no matter what the relationships, though.

I read the book about the case. And also don't understand your outrage. The whole thing happened around the jealousy stemming from lesbian relationships. :confused:

Is it really fair to connect a 12 year old's death to her "lesbianism"? (I'm sorry, I really can't type that word without putting quotes around it). Why focus on that aspect? At best it's sensationalism, at worst it is purposely playing into the sickest of people's fascinations.

Thank you for the link, ISPTRAX.

I think that unhealthy jealousy and rivalry often exists between adolescent girls regardless of sexual orientation. And I don't think it's right to identify a child with a sexual label, gay or straight or whatever.

Is it really fair to connect a 12 year old's death to her "lesbianism"? (I'm sorry, I really can't type that word without putting quotes around it). Why focus on that aspect? At best it's sensationalism, at worst it is purposely playing into the sickest of people's fascinations.
What sick fascinations?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elaguileno81
Back