Rape And Molestation Charges Filed

This article is from the San Francisco Chronicle, one of the most liberal newspapers in the country. SF is about 50mi away from Tracy, yet eons away. I live in Tracy. Most of the folks here who have chosen to voice their opinion believe, although it is odd, that MH killed Sandra.

Remember, there is always the sentiment... he was so quiet... such a good neighbor. We hear that after many a mass murder has occurred. What is bothering people so much is that they cannot fit this into a tight little box that could never affect their world. It is a defense mechanism....

Similar to..... had a friend get lymphoma. Bad diagnosis, but pretty treatable. During treatment, a friend of hers kept trying to say "why" she got it... she used to smoke, she used pesticides, etc. She was trying to find some reason that excluded her from a possible fate as my friend. It is just human nature...

I don't think she's a molester, I don't think she's a pedophile. I also doubt she was molested as a child. I think she is psychotic. I think she raged on this child, and tried to inflict pain in the worst way possible. I don't think this was related to sex, but rage.

I find this scary, that people won't believe the facts, and that LE has done a great job in finding the right perp. What scares me is that if the jury is of a stubborn mindset that refuses to believe a woman can do this, justice will not be served. Some of the comments were very good.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/04/18/state/n114107D97.DTL&feed=rss.bayarea

Public skeptical that woman killed, raped girl

By MARCUS WOHLSEN and JULIANA BARBASSA, Associated Press Writers
Saturday, April 18, 2009

minus.gif
plus.gif

(04-18) 11:41 PDT Tracy, Calif. (AP) --
Callers have inundated the phone lines of Tracy police, saying it can't be. Veteran homicide and sex-crime researchers say they cannot recall a case quite like it. Even the investigators themselves looked at the evidence and initially said "no way."

Images

View Larger Images

Video

View Larger Size

A woman was accused not only of killing someone else's child, but of raping her
Law enforcement officials and other experts say the allegations against Melissa Huckaby in the slaying of 8-year-old Sandra Cantu are remarkably rare over decades of U.S. police work.
Huckaby was charged Tuesday with murdering her daughter's playmate, with the added special circumstances of rape with a foreign object, lewd or lascivious conduct with a child under 14 and murder in the course of a kidnapping. The 28-year-old divorced mother is due back in court Friday, when she is expected to enter a plea.
Sandra's body was found on April 6 — 10 days after she went missing. It was stuffed in a suitcase that was pulled from an irrigation pond near Tracy, a small town where San Francisco's suburbs meet California's farm belt.
Tracy police Sgt. Tony Sheneman said dozens of callers a day have insisted that Huckaby could not have acted alone, that no mother would rape another's child, that the scenario was too improbable to be true. The case is so striking that police initially shared the public's reaction.
The investigators themselves, when first confronted with the evidence that pointed to Huckaby, were inclined to look for another suspect.
"When investigators were first looking at this they went 'Huh, no way... Who did she work with?'" Sheneman said. "We got that info and said 'there's no way, that doesn't happen.'"
"After this case, I'll never say never again," Sheneman said, adding that police remain confident that Huckaby acted alone.
Department of Justice data on U.S. homicides dating back more than 30 years highlight the unusual nature of this crime, said James Fox, a criminologist at Northeastern University.
Of the more than 600,000 cases recorded — more than 90 percent of U.S. homicides since 1976 — only one comes close to the alleged circumstances of Sandra's killing, said Fox. The data did not include names and some other details; the Associated Press was unable to locate the case.
Researchers say the Huckaby case does not match the typical profile of sex crimes by females.
Women represent only 1 percent of all adult arrests for forcible rape and 6 percent of all adult arrests for other sex offenses, according to a Department of Justice report.
When they do commit sex crimes, women often are acting as accomplices to men, and their victims tend to be teenagers, said David Finkelhor, director of the University of New Hampshire Crimes against Children Research Center.
"It's very, very rare for women to molest children, and when they molest children it's very unusual for them to molest a child of this age," Finkelhor said. "It's unusual for women to kill children who are not their own."
Police have declined to publicly state where and how Sandra was killed, but they have said they do not have a motive.
"I find it really hard to speculate on the motivation," Finkelhor said.
Court documents and interviews with family members show Huckaby had a rocky personal life. She went through a divorce and bankruptcy and fought depression as she tried to hold down a job and raise a child.
In 2002, she won a restraining order against a boyfriend who had an extensive criminal record and a restraining order from a previous marriage, according to San Joaquin County court records.
She married John Huckaby in 2003, separated a year later and divorced in 2005. In divorce papers, Melissa Huckaby accused John Huckaby of child abduction, domestic violence and alcohol abuse — allegations he denied in an interview with ABC's "Good Morning America" on Friday.
Records show she was arrested in November and charged with burglary and petty theft from a store. The judge suspended the case and appointed a doctor to assess Huckaby's mental health. She was found competent to stand trial. In a deal with prosecutors, she pleaded no contest in January to the petty theft charge and the burglary charge was dropped.
Huckaby's attorneys could use the sheer statistical improbability of the murder case to cast doubt on the allegations, regardless of the evidence, legal experts said.
"Instinctively it doesn't feel like a good fit," said William Portanova, a Sacramento defense lawyer and a former state and federal prosecutor.
"It's an extraordinarily rare circumstance to have an adult female commit a sexual assault and murder on a female child alone," Portanova said. "So right off the bat, any attorney is going to be looking to disprove that theory."
___
Associated Press Writer Evelyn Nieves contributed to this report.

Print

What facts do we have because LE saying it, doesn't make it fact. MH saying it doesn't make it fact, so what facts do we really have?

She wasn't arrested until she volunteered to go down and talk with LE for hours.
Did they have enough evidence before she went down there? Then why wasn't she arrested before that?

She says it was her suitcase. Was it? I hope they can prove it.

She attempted suicide, it is said by razor blades, but we don't really know. Le hasn't said that. The family hasn't said that. Can we really believe it if she said it?

She confessed to writing a note with some words on it, suitcase, water, the name of a street, can't remember what else. This note was not found on her person, or in her home. It was found at the MHP entrance area. I hope they have some dna, handwriting analysis to back up her word.

I don't know what else they have. It's mostly her words.

Lots of people confess to crimes they don't commit.
Lots of women take the punishment if they think they're in love.
She is said to have very poor self esteem. This would be perfect for a perp to use.

So I hope they have more than what we have heard so far.

They do have a dead body.
They have the place she was found.
They have her on video going in the direction of MH's home.
I hope Sandra was able to tell them more.
I hope they have real physical evidence tying her to the crimes for which she is accused.
moo

ETA; They do have a witness that saw a certain truck, and a man where they found Sandra.
They do have a man leaving a note "from Sandra."
This man is a member of the same church as MH.
This man from my perspective is possibly an accessory after the fact, and obstruction of justice if he knew where she was, and he put the note at the memorial for his friend. But I'm of the opinion he is involved more than after the fact. That is moo.

Most of what we have heard is from reporters, and the media. Can they really be believed to have their facts straight?

This article is from the San Francisco Chronicle, one of the most liberal newspapers in the country. SF is about 50mi away from Tracy, yet eons away. I live in Tracy. Most of the folks here who have chosen to voice their opinion believe, although it is odd, that MH killed Sandra.

Respectively, this was on AP, as well as other sites, it's just being carried by the Chronicle site. That said, my guess is that this story was probably written to keep the story in the news around the country, as the media investigates every angle of it that they can think of investigating.

What facts do we have because LE saying it, doesn't make it fact. MH saying it doesn't make it fact, so what facts do we really have?

She wasn't arrested until she volunteered to go down and talk with LE for hours.
Did they have enough evidence before she went down there? Then why wasn't she arrested before that?

She attempted suicide, it is said by razor blades, but we don't really know. Le hasn't said that. The family hasn't said that. Can we really believe it if she said it?

She confessed to writing a note with some words on it, suitcase, water, the name of a street, can't remember what else. I hope they have some dna, handwriting analysis to back up her word.

She is said to have very poor self esteem. This would be prefect for a perp to use.

moo
WE have nothing... but LE had enough to arrest her and the DA had enough to file the charges. Sheneman said this:
The case is so striking that police initially shared the public's reaction.

The investigators themselves, when first confronted with the evidence that pointed to Huckaby, were inclined to look for another suspect.

"When investigators were first looking at this they went 'Huh, no way... Who did she work with?'" Sheneman said. "We got that info and said 'there's no way, that doesn't happen.'"

"After this case, I'll never say never again," Sheneman said, adding that police remain confident that Huckaby acted alone.

http://www.tracypress.com/pages/ful...=&widget=push&instance=home_news_bullets&open=&

I was just reading back thru Sheneman's quote above... and echo him!

"After this case, I'll never say never again" ~

I don't think she's a molester, I don't think she's a pedophile. I also doubt she was molested as a child. I think she is psychotic. I think she raged on this child, and tried to inflict pain in the worst way possible. I don't think this was related to sex, but rage.

IIRC, LE said the body was not traumatised when first talked about it after they found her, which is why the molestation charge was a surprise. Some peeps speculated that she had been hit by MH's car, but no trauma means she wasn't hit. They have yet to tell us the cod.

I tend to trust LE that she acted alone. Nothing in this crazy world we live in
really surprises me any more. With that said , it also would not surprise me if something else comes up and they make another arrest. EVIL COMES IN MANY SHAPES AND SIZES.

IIRC, LE said the body was not traumatised when first talked about it after they found her, which is why the molestation charge was a surprise. Some peeps speculated that she had been hit by MH's car, but no trauma means she wasn't hit. They have yet to tell us the cod.
I am respectfully asking this Yosande but didn't you just say this:

my point being that if we cannot take what LE says to be a fact than at this point we are "factless" other than birth records we have managed to dig up. What that LE has said is a fact to and what is not. I guess I just wondered if you could clarify your thoughts on that. Thanks in advance and I am in no way meaning this to be snarky... :blowkiss:

She confessed to writing a note with some words on it, suitcase, water, the name of a street, can't remember what else. This note was not found on her person, or in her home. It was found at the MHP entrance area. I hope they have some dna, handwriting analysis to back up her word.

She is said to have very poor self esteem. This would be perfect for a perp to use.

They do have a dead body.
They have the place she was found.
They have her on video going in the direction of MH's home.
I hope Sandra was able to tell them more.
I hope they have real physical evidence tying her to the crimes for which she is accused.
moo

ETA; They do have a witness that saw a certain truck, and a man where they found Sandra.
They do have a man leaving a note "from Sandra."
This man is a member of the same church as MH.
This man from my perspective is possibly an accessory after the fact, and obstruction of justice if he knew where she was, and he put the note at the memorial for his friend. But I'm of the opinion he is involved more than after the fact. That is moo.

Most of what we have heard is from reporters, and the media. Can they really be believed to have their facts straight?

Hi Yosande,

Like you said, they do have her body. It will undoubtedly seal the fate of her killer. I read MH gave them details to the killing so it must match. Whatever LE has evidence-wise in the case, it must be very telling as they seem so adamant she acted alone.

I also find it hard to believe that. Not because she couldn't effect the crime herself - the obstacles seem surmountable to me. But because she was friends with 2 men who are suspicious to me, both drawn into the case on a periphary level. And both of those men had many photos gracing her MySpace page!

IMO, there is another person, a man.........a look out or the guy to have fun.
MH is so messed up that MH did this for her man........I cannot shake this gut feeling.
She is guilty as HE!! and she did this..........but I still feel she met a guy and had their kick and MH is keeping quiet about the secret. I feel MH will squeel soon...........OMOO
I'll eat my words if I am wrong!

Thanks for the link.

Excerpt:

Approximately 15% to 25% of women and 5% to 15% of men were sexually abused when they were children.[11][12][13][14][15] Most sexual abuse offenders are acquainted with their victims; approximately 30% are relatives of the child, most often brothers, fathers, uncles or cousins; around 60% are other acquaintances such as friends of the family, babysitters, or neighbors; strangers are the offenders in approximately 10% of child sexual abuse cases. Most child sexual abuse is committed by men; women commit approximately 14% of offenses reported against boys and 6% of offenses reported against girls.[11] Most offenders who abuse pre-pubescent children are pedophiles,[16][17] however a small percentage do not meet the diagnostic criteria for pedophilia.[18]

Under the law, "child sexual abuse" is an umbrella term describing criminal and civil offenses in which an adult engages in sexual activity with a minor or exploits a minor for the purpose of sexual gratification.[19][4] The American Psychiatric Association states that "children cannot consent to sexual activity with adults",[20][21] and condemns any such action by an adult: "An adult who engages in sexual activity with a child is performing a criminal and immoral act which never can be considered normal or socially acceptable behavior."[

and then LE was looking for a murder 'weapon'.........IIRC cord from a blind, now sexual object???

MH is so messed up that MH did this for her man........I cannot shake this gut feeling.
She is guilty as HE!! and she did this..........but I still feel she met a guy and had their kick and MH is keeping quiet about the secret. I feel MH will squeel soon...........OMOO

I respect your opinion passion but I don't think she did this for a man. I think she did this for herself and she loves playing the victim. If there was some big old bad man out there connected to this case she would be singing like a canary makimg her out to once be the victim.

I think she did these crimes to satisfy her own insatiable perverted desires.

imo

She had a date very recently with CSinclair, right?

Know your history!!!

I think everyone can remember a time when people held thoughts that we now find extremely ignorant, such as women didn't have the brains to vote, non-whites did not possess souls, there was "very little" incest, so on, so forth. We also had that wonderful era when psychiatrists (don't get me started on them) would say victims "wanted" to be abused, enjoyed it, were participants, etc. That rape victims "asked for it." REMEMBER???

Nothing GOOD can come out of Sandra's death. But perhaps there is an opening of the door on the ignorant, IMO, idea that women do not molest.

I think that it double-victimizes victims to say "women don't molest" unless a man is involved. I think it PROTECTS the abusers to hold such a narrow view that "only" men molest.

People are forgetting NAZI GERMANY and the vast number of HORRIBLE CRIMES perpetrated on the people in the death camps, not just by the males such as Mengele, but by WOMEN, some of whom were HANGED (YAY) after the War. They did all sorts of horrible, horrible, perverted things to their victims.

I taught both primary grades and in an alternative high school. The behavior of the female students at the high school would CURL YOUR HAIR. The sexual acting-out would disgust you. The grabbing at other girls, the dirty filthy talk, the rampant lesbianism (NOT getting into the whole fight about homosexualilty here, just stating these girls were self-declared lesbians), the hints of them attacking younger sisters. I had to leave, the way the PRINCIPAL, other TEACHERS, PROBATION OFFICERS and the PARENTS rushed to defend and excuse the criminal behavior of the students (all had records) was just EYE-OPENING in the most horrifying way.

ANY OTHER HIGH SCHOOL ALTERNATIVE TEACHERS ON THIS FORUM? SPEAK UP!!!!

People don't want to believe it could be true. It is true. Women do molest, girls do molest.:behindbar

"A photo gallery of female teachers, mothers and caregivers who were in a position of trust yet ended up facing a judge for charges ranging from inappropriate behavior to molestation and rape of young kids and teens."
Women Arrested For Indecent Behavior With Kids
http://crime.about.com/od/sex/ig/female_pedophiles/

Its one thing to be shocked by statistics, its even worse to look at a collection of 103 women sexual offenders. I haven't gone through them all, but it does look like the majority of the women are school teachers, although there was a nanny and a teaching aid. A number of the teachers taught special education classes. One mother "threw a sexually oriented slumber party" with her daughter's friends aged 9 to 13. Not one of the women received penalties befitting their crimes. The women that did receive heavier sentences were those who's maximum sentences were heavier to begin with. For example one of the women who was sentenced to 6 years in prison was facing a maximum of 64 year.

I also noticed that quite a few of the victims did not tell anyone of the abuse while it was ocuring, but did so when they reached adulthood and realized that it was wrong. The most extreme example of this was in the case of Elizabeth Miklosovic:
"During the pretrial hearing the victim sobbed as she reluctantly recounted the relationship she had with her former teacher. She did not want to hurt Miklosovic and said many times she "couldn't do this" meaning, testify against the teacher, knowing her testimony would likely send Miklosovic to prison. The student testified, "She (Miklosovic) is a wonderful woman. She does not deserve this, any of this. I was not manipulated or taken advantage of. It was completely consensual."

The family expressed Miklosovic had brainwashed the girl into believing no crime had been committed.

In the best interest of the abused child, a plea deal was reached and Miklosovic pleaded no contest to two counts of criminal sexual contact, one is a first-degree count and the other a second-degree count. She was sentenced to five to 25 years in prison and avoided a jury trial which could have resulted in a life sentence.

Before sentencing, Miklosovic's family asked for leniency because of she suffers from a life threatening medical condition and is in need of a double lung transplant.

Comments to the judge before sentencing suggested Miklosovic was in denial about the crime she had committed. She told the judge, "The entire ordeal has been blown totally out of proportion for something that was innocent, kind and nurturing in nature."

http://crime.about.com/od/sex/ig/female_pedophiles/Elizabeth-Miklosovic.htm

Considering all of the above when I hear Debra Lafave tell an interviewer that "I committed a sexual offense, but I am not a sexual offender" I can sadly see her dismissive attitude reflected in dismissive attitude of our society as a whole regarding this issue. (from YouTube posting at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W5Mq8fEpUU&feature=related)

My computer is slow so I got more of a frame by frame viewing of the video. I could be wrong, but it seems like I can see more of the mico-expressions that cross Debra's face. I noticed that she is looking up quite a bit possibly like she is having to think about what the appropriate answer to the question is, or as if she just doesn't understand what all the fuss is about. Other times I thought I saw flickers of the corners of her mouth turn up when answering one of the serious questions put to her. Kind of like Casey Anthony's smug smirkiness. I saw no genuine remorse when she talked about her student victim and none when she talked about how this affected her now x-husband.

I saw a lot of those inappropriate facial expressions on the faces of the women at the web site I mentioned at the beginning of this post. Some with the same turned up corners of their lips, others with "The Casey Smirk" and even more with various mixtures of fear, disbelief and self-pity. The last one's reminded me of Melissa's first court appearance. None of them show any remorse.

<extreme shivers>

I actually don't think we really know how many female sexual predators are out there. They have the best cover in the world to protect themselves from detection.

I think that there is reason to have hope that the cover used by these women is going to disappear. Religious leaders once enjoyed that same cover. I think that the number of brave survivors stepping forward to report these crimes and allowing the media to report their stories has taken that cover away.
I believe that the same thing will happen to the female SOs.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jezel
Back