TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giving jury instructions. They are excused.

Thank you for your help Muffet!

Judge says they'll continue w/ Crenshaw tomorrow morning...

Instructs them ... they'll be well fed & taken care of... avoid local news and clips during commercials... nobody should have their cell phones or laptops...

Two people have laptops but only for offline work - he says that's ok... Tells them to put their black notebooks in jury room and they'll be kept safe and secret...

What was all that about a phone and fines and did I hear Mr. Christian's name mentioned?

What was all that about a phone and fines and did I hear Mr. Christian's name mentioned?

I didn't catch it.

I so pity those poor parents. This has to just reopen wounds... seeing her clothes was enough to break my heart - I can only imagine what it does to them. :(

Thank you guys sooooo much for all of the updates. I had some computer issues at work today so I didn't get to see any of the trail (plus my boss refused to leave!! does he not know there's a trial going on?). Thanks for keeping us informed...I see that this trail is going to be a lot worse than Cobbins was. Prayers for the family.

http://twitter.com/jamiescoop

Judge outlining basic legal elements of slew of charges Davidsn faces 3 minutes ago
Jurors all deny any exposure to media coverage 7 minutes ago
Jury being brought in to be polled on any exposure to media coverage. They r under orders to avoid it 11 minutes ago
Prosecutors just walked in w/ trash can where Channon's body found. It's always chilling to see it 15 minutes ago
Slow start but they're bringing Davidson out now. A few gawkers r here but it's not packed. Security guys glad 21 minutes ago

Just want to say thank you so much for your time and dedication to posting this trial. I have followed it from day one but had to be away from the computer and even electricity today and will also tomorrow. I will depend on your posts to catch up. So glad that you are doing this. I want to see this monster get what he deserves for this horrible crime.

Thank you all for the updates!!!

This really is the worst case I have ever heard, I feel so bad for the families. How in the world do you go on after something like this happening to your child. I pray for them every night.

I read in the comment section on WBIR, that Mr. Christian was fined $20 for his phone buzzing. Also, here is info regarding the comment made about the defense attorney:

"When court resumed after lunch, Judge Richard Baumgartner said a Newsom family member confronted defense attorney Doug Trant over the marijuana testimony.

The judge warned the Newsom family that he won't tolerate this behavior and threatened to ban them from the courtroom if it happens again.

Chris Newsom's friend, Josh Anderson, said he didn't know the defense was going to ask about the pot in Chris' truck.

Hugh Newsom said there's no need for that information in the trial.

The Newsoms were discussing this among themselves when apparently, Trant stuck his head into the discussion and said something like, "Let's not go there."

Someone in the Newsom family then apparently called Trant a "jerk" as he walked away. During a break, Hugh Newsom told 6 News he never said anything directly to Trant.
The Christians called the warning censorship and wanted to know why they can't say what they want to about the case, but the attorneys can."
http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=11333917

Update: Murder victims' reputations under fire
http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=102170&provider=top

In there, it quotes the defense as saying "All the DNA evidence in this case, all it's going to show you at the end of this trial is that Mr. Davidson had vaginal, vaginal intercourse with Ms. Christian."

I remember when he said that, and I wondered how he could expect us to believe his "not guilty" of rape, if his dna was there...?

But being reminded of it now, after his talk about their mj and implying they were in the area, arouses my worst fear - that they might actually try saying Chris & Shannon went to Davidson for drugs and she had consensual sex with him for it. :no:

I hope with all my soul they don't dare, but after today... is it even possible?

Sounds like the defense is insinuating that Chris and Channon were in the area to buy drugs and went to the house to party, JMO.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/oct/20/defense-questions-habits-victims/

(snip)
Trant later quizzed witnesses about the victims’ alleged drug use. He elicited testimony from Newsom’s friend, Josh Anderson, that Anderson and another friend removed marijuana from Newsom’s truck shortly after Newsom went missing. And Trant questioned Sowards about a marijuana pipe in her apartment — she said it wasn’t hers — and a prescription bottle for hydrocodone belonging to another Christian friend found in Christian’s Toyota 4 Runner. Sowards said the friend probably left it there accidentally.
When prosecutors began asking witnesses who lived in the Chipman Street area if they’d ever seen Christian and Newsom in the neighborhood, all said no. But Trant asked one of those witnesses, “You didn’t go there to buy drugs, did you?”
A toxicology report on both Christian and Newsom did not reveal the presence of drugs or alcohol.
The line of questioning upset family and friends of the two victims. During a lunch break, a Newsom relative made a comment as Trant walked by that he later reported to Judge Richard Baumgartner as “derogatory.” The judge was livid.

Yep Muffet, you and I fear the same thing about where this is going. Personally I think it's going to backfire. I fear that at some point Gary will be removed from the courtroom. There is only so much these parents can take.

Update: Murder victims' reputations under fire
http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=102170&provider=top

In there, it quotes the defense as saying "All the DNA evidence in this case, all it's going to show you at the end of this trial is that Mr. Davidson had vaginal, vaginal intercourse with Ms. Christian."

I remember when he said that, and I wondered how he could expect us to believe his "not guilty" of rape, if his dna was there...?

But being reminded of it now, after his talk about their mj and implying they were in the area, arouses my worst fear - that they might actually try saying Chris & Shannon went to Davidson for drugs and she had consensual sex with him for it. :no:

I hope with all my soul they don't dare, but after today... is it even possible?

A few months ago, I read somewhere that Davidson was now claiming he had some sort of a relationship with Channon. I haven't been able to find the link again. Utterly disgusting if the defense tries to imply that :furious: The way the judge handled the situations with the cell phone and "calling-out" the Newsom family about comments to the defense attorney has pretty much left me at a loss for words....

Well if all was fine and dandy between Davidson and Channon, why did he give her things to Daphne? Wouldn't an alive Channon need her stuff?

Yep Muffet, you and I fear the same thing about where this is going. Personally I think it's going to backfire. I fear that at some point Gary will be removed from the courtroom. There is only so much these parents can take.
Absolutely. I have been thinking about my father all day - wonderful man, but I believe that if he had been sitting there today, he would be in jail tonight.

If this defense goes there, it's a Hail Mary pass not worth taking, and yes - I too think it will backfire. This jury is likely to be deeply offended *and* believe that there was no better defense, and give that monster the DP. I damn sure would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2