WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
MelissaW, thank you so much!.. sadly your theory makes sense.. :( I've been trying to find a post of del rios and i cant seem to find it. he said something about the brush at the area where he believes MC was found.. the brush wasn't as thick as it usually was.. said he couldn't say anymore.. ..MelissaW, did you notice anything?

Concerning the woman found dead in South Wenatchee. I know some of her immediate family. I know her addiction was very serious and she had been using hardcore narcotics for quite awhile. She was not a casual user by any means, nor was she new to the lifestyle. In the last year or so she was involved in a major shoplifting scam at local stores, such as but not limited to Penney's, RiteAid and Shopko in order to get money for her addiction. I am related to one of the many clerks who ID'd her. So the conclusion of an overdose does seem plausible. My information ends with her, my knowledge of her brothers is limited. I'm not implying the brothers were involved in the shoplifting or she had accomplishes.

Hmmmmmm. Do you s'pose there could be a connection with the shoplifting that was going on at Lowe's? Was she the only one involved in the scam or was it a bigger ring?

MelissaW, thank you so much!.. sadly your theory makes sense.. :( I've been trying to find a post of del rios and i cant seem to find it. he said something about the brush at the area where he believes MC was found.. the brush wasn't as thick as it usually was.. said he couldn't say anymore.. ..MelissaW, did you notice anything?

It all seemed very thick to me. I had never been walking on that beach before but I do remember when this house was lived in and the property and landscaping was always in immaculate condition. It was definitely not taken care of now. del rios posted a picture the other day of an area that was spray painted yellow and I did see that area right away, between two bushes. I'm thinking that maybe the LE cut away some of the brush so that they could do their investigation so that's what he meant by it not being as thick?

Also, right where the police are standing in picture 5 from that link is right about where the stream was that her feet were supposedly in. The stream was about 3 feet wide and went into the Columbia River. I walked through it and it got my shoes wet but I really couldn't see where it was coming from on the property. I was worried about walking onto the actual property and the bushes were a freaking nightmare- how tall and thick they were!

del rio: I saw the spray painted yellow spot from your picture and the red tape tied around a branch that I think was in your picture #6. I never did see that spot you labeled as "right next to the stream" where you said her body was discovered. Was that right next to the yellow spot, above it, etc.? What do you think the significance of the yellow spot was?

I am intrigued by certain aspects of this case that have apparently been substantiated, one of those being the fact that she (MC) confided in her aunt (later made known on facebook) that she was intending to meet someone after she left the Academy. Why would she confide in her aunt, but not her boyfriend or others close to her; why only her aunt? Or is there still one or more people she may have spoken to previously concerning this arranged 'meeting' that are too afraid of getting involved? As the reward fund rises past 40 grand, it may bring one or more of these forward who for whatever reason are holding back on key information.

Hello all...I'm a lifelong Wenatchee resident and have been following this in the local media and more recently here at Websleuths. I wish I could say something that would lend real credibility to the ongoing discussion at this point but...it would just be more of what I've been reading in these threads and in the local newspaper comments section...honest speculation built around a small collection of known facts and time stamps. I applaud those of you here who have committed yourselves to whatever help you can be in lending your talents and research to help solve this murder, but I suspect with all the different facets of law enforcement that are involved, that at this point they have some pretty incriminating evidence and if in fact there were credible DNA sample(s) collected they will most likely confirm their current leads, if in fact they really do possess knowledge of certain individual(s) or other POI's. It's been a real unnerving time for our community. As I pondered so many of the same questions many of you have, and the answers that were offered, a certain thought came to mind, which is simply this: some criminal minds are extremely creative and extremely intelligent when it comes to covering up their tracks, but with the advent of surveillance cameras, modern forensic technology and the information gleaned from her autopsy, I've no doubt he/she/they will be apprehended...soon I hope.

Welcome. Thanks for speaking up! I would like it over sooner rather than later.

Along the lines of DNA and modern forensics: I directly know someone who does DNA extractions, (lots of them). So, if we assume our car wash suspect uses a defense that includes a story that he hugged or kissed, (or more), our victim goodbye it could explain his DNA on the victim and her clothes.

Now the rumors going around include that the person who dropped the body off at the CB location vomited. So I posed the question about DNA extraction from vomit. Odds are strong a good lab tech can pull good DNA bands from fresh vomit. Stomach acid outside the body will become pH neutral in a variable amount of time. Lets assume the body was dumped at night, therefore the vomit would be covered in the morning dew, (which might be higher caused by the closeness to the river). This could increase the speed to pH neutral. There is also some thought that the stomach acid might actually help preserve the DNA from the elements of nature.

Other things of note: Salvia itself does not contain DNA cells. It is the epithelial cells, skin cells, from the lining of the mouth which the DNA gets pulled from. In the case of vomit it would have epithelial cells from the lining of the throat as well, (the more violent the *advertiser censored* vomited the better for evidence).

DNA extraction of vomit might become more difficult based on the number of days it sits exposed to the elements. DNA degradation occurs caused by the elements. Freezing and thawing is damaging. Sunshine, UV light, is about the most damaging to DNA. Let's hope our suspect attempted to cover his vomit by leaves or some such.

I am intrigued by certain aspects of this case that have apparently been substantiated, one of those being the fact that she (MC) confided in her aunt (later made known on facebook) that she was intending to meet someone after she left the Academy. Why would she confide in her aunt, but not her boyfriend or others close to her; why only her aunt? Or is there still one or more people she may have spoken to previously concerning this arranged 'meeting' that are too afraid of getting involved? As the reward fund rises past 40 grand, it may bring one or more of these forward who for whatever reason are holding back on key information.

Have a feeling that the aunt was the leak of that info and she received that info from closer family members. Members who have been told by LE/FBI not to tell the public anything -- especially about knowing who it was that MC picked up and was at the car wash with. All just a hunch.

Wow...That was quite an education we just received on just one facet of DNA forensics and just what is possible in such a scenario as one we're describing here. Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this subject. Amazing...

Hmmmmmm. Do you s'pose there could be a connection with the shoplifting that was going on at Lowe's? Was she the only one involved in the scam or was it a bigger ring?

IMO no. IIRR she was into a samll group that would steal clothes and such then return them for cash to buy drugs.

I don't believe it was ever confirmed that the aunt KNEW MC was meeting up with someone after she left the academy. I can't remember where I read it, (I have been scouring the W.W. articles, and FB posts.) I believe she made a statement like; "whoever she met up with [after the academy]....
I remember it being taken out of context at the time, and now seems to have changed stories that "she confided with her aunt". Can anyone actually prove the aunt knew MC was meeting someone? I really feel it was a reference to whoever took her, not a planned meeting the aunt knew about.

I don't believe it was ever confirmed that the aunt KNEW MC was meeting up with someone after she left the academy. I can't remember where I read it, (I have been scouring the W.W. articles, and FB posts.) I believe she made a statement like; "whoever she met up with [after the academy]....
I remember it being taken out of context at the time, and now seems to have changed stories that "she confided with her aunt". Can anyone actually prove the aunt knew MC was meeting someone? I really feel it was a reference to whoever took her, not a planned meeting the aunt knew about.

Try this post from the first thread. HERE

Makes it sound like someone? did know she had met someone in downtown.

At this point it is all but confirmed that she did met someone, (at least in my mind). I mean, now there is also pretty good information that someone (male) was with her at the car wash.

I'm going to give ya'all some more to think about. Do what you will with it, but I think it's relevant. It may go to the unknown crime scene.

I have been gone for 2 months. I went to pick up my plants and mail today at my neighbor's. We had a glass of wine and the discussion went to this case. My friend started a new full time job about 5 weeks ago and has not given any time to this case except what her husband shares from what he reads in the paper She has only heard a few rumors from talk where she works. However; she told me about a dream she had the night of Feb 12th, and that it was so upsetting she was in tears afterwards. It is the 2nd time she has had such a dream. The first time was the night of the Hufman murders. In THIS dream, her dream started with her behind the wheel of Mackenzie's car. The car was red. There was nobody in the driver's seat, but her own 2 children were in the back seat, only they were young. (they are both grown now) A boy and a girl. They were on a dirt road with steep slopes on either side and the road was very rutted. She was going across some old, not very used railroad tracks and nearly got stuck on them. She had to gun the car to get across the tracks. On the other side was a house. A plain house and it seemed the tracks and the house were very rural. She didn't see any other houses and it was NOT in an industrial area. The house was home. It was a basic house, much like a starter house, but it was "home". When they walked in, everything that she expected to see was different. The color of the walls had changed; the furniture had changed; nothing was familiar. You could see through the house, so like a window in the front and a window in the back and you could see outside. More than the fact that everything had changed was that MC expected to be home and loved, but everything she found there was totally NOT what she expected. There was a man in the house and he looked like my friends X-husband. However; the man was someone very close to Mackenzie but she was very confused and sad There was also a strange woman, standing in the kitchen, in front of a sink with a window behind her. She either had a dress or an apron on. She was very plain with plain brown, course hair that was a little shorter than shoulder length. She was not pretty and she was not a nice woman. She was very angry; very defiant; very smug, like she had all the power, but the man was in control. She was standing her ground. There were also about 4 children standing in the house that seemed to belong to the woman. MC did not know them. Ages were about 8, 10, 12, 14. The woman walked up to the little girl that had come with the car and just slapped her really hard across the face for no reason. This made MC (my friend) absolutely rage and she went to the woman and grabbed her face in her hands and told her to never do that again! Then, all of a sudden MC (my friend) is sitting at a table. The man had hired some men and MC was looking out the window at these men and they were destroying her car. They had some heavy construction equipment (a back hoe) and they were using it to bash her car and bash it and bash it and crush it and rip it up and tear it into little pieces. MC felt a very, very heavy sadness. She felt like they were trying to erase her very existence from the face of the earth. They were shredding her identity and my friend just kept saying that she just felt an incredible sadness. She couldn't leave the house because she knew that if she did then someone would take away her home so she needed to stay there, but that there was nothing left there that was hers anymore. No clothes or anything. Every part of her and all of her things had been removed from the house. So there was just this incredible sadness. The man had been very significant to MC but he was removing MC from every corner of the house and destroying all evidence that she even existed and he was doing it for this woman, and doing it all with no qualms whatsoever. He then handed MC 2 silver bags, somewhat like a gift bag only more like light cardboard, but both silver. The feeling she had was that this was all she was getting. She only opened one bag, and in it was little pieces of ribbons. Cream colored and white, lacy and shiny, 2 - 4 inch pieces of ribbon, like what you would use to wrap or decorate a gift with. That was all she was given. She looked out the window again and there was a small, silver pick up truck that was facing away from her. She had never seen one like it before and it seemed new and very clean. She knew she was to leave in this vehicle and the little girl and little boy that had come in the car with her were to leave with her also, although the little boy thought he wanted to stay there with the man at first, but decided to go with her and the girl, after all. There was just enough room in the truck for the 3 of them. That was the end of my friend's dream. They did not drive off in the silver truck. She woke up. This was the night before Mackenzie's body was found and my friend knew that it wasn't about her, but it was about Mackenzie. She doesn't know what it means, but says that the sadness was so profound that she woke up several times and each time she went back to sleep she just started dreaming right where it had left off, and that she wept for quite awhile after it ended and it still haunts her. I think the men destroying her car was actually the men beating her, and attempting to erase her identity, as if she had never been born... was the feelings my friend described. So much of Mackenzie's life was in that car, that the symbolism is twofold, IMO.

I hesitated a bit to put this up on the thread. She just told me about her dream this evening. However; it is what it is and that is what this forum is about. Everybody putting everything out there in the light of day and passing it around among the brightest to dig and poke holes and consider or discard. She has nothing to gain from it and neither do I. She would just as soon she hadn't dreamed it, as it is very heavy on her heart. I should tell you that she lost one of her own daughters several years ago, but it was due to a medical condition, not foul play, and that daughter was not in this dream at all.

Can anyone think of railroad tracks locally that would fit that description? My first thought was lower sunnyslope, but I'm just going on a first thought. I have no idea if there are train tracks that fit the description or not, in that area. Somebody mentioned an old mine off the back side of Pitcher Canyon? I'm interested in finding out where it happened so we can get this solved I have no idea if this can help, but I don't think it can hurt. My friend said that her overwhelming feeling was that the other woman wanted MC gone and out of the man's life as if she had never been born. That can lead down 1 of 2 roads, the way I see it. One of them we seem to have plenty of speculation on, while the other is relatively unsleuthed. I guess there could be a 3rd scenario that would include JF's present public matrimonial record, but I tend to think that's old news. There is another woman who is currently way under the radar!?

I don't know what you would call this? It's not speculation........it's not rumor........it's a very real dream as told by a very gentle, loving, genuine person and it's firsthand.

Fire away......rip me up.........pooh pooh it........laugh or cry............or start looking for railroad tracks.

Motive is a difficult one no matter who I think of as a suspect. I can think of many things a 17 year old could be into, but not many come close to a desire to premeditate a murder over. Very vile hatred comes to mind, but where does the hatred originate??? It seems she was busy enough with school, dance, other 17 year old activities, that if you really hated her that much it wouldn't be that hard to just avoid her. If she was holding a bad secret over the suspect and threatening to go to police, there is no way it could have been as bad as it's gonna be for him now.

Yes I think of that all the time---who has the revenge here? I can think of a few people who might have some resentment towards her but only one has come to mind that would have the fever of murder---only one person stood to lose WC and $ support with her, business with WC, and shared custody of his kids if he got caught either having sex with a minor or another theory is some kind of *advertiser censored* activity----something that MC had on him. The power of a 17 year old girl over him due to the possible loss of all things listed above would be the match to the fuse. I cannot think of anyone else who has that much to be angry with her about---to plan such a complicated murder, to make such a time and energy demanding effort, to involve others at the risk of their errors, and to risk getting caught. The only other possibility is that it is someone else who is not on our radar here at WS---but that is why we keep talking and writing---is to keep our radar on and the shared vigilance may catch something.

Thanks, Alt.theory. I know I DID see it on FB originally. It may have been pulled.
The aunt's statement:

"She was at beauty school and apparently met someone outside. It's pretty sketchy about where she went from there."

The key word to me, is "apparently". We KNOW MC encountered someone. The aunt's statement of apparently sounds more like she is repeating the news (probably heard first-hand from family members,) that MC was snatched sometime after she left the academy - not that she had prior knowledge MC had a set meeting with someone.

Autumn Rose----why did you pick the railroad tracks out of the whole story---did your friend really emphasize that landmark as being meaningful?

I wonder if MC could have been held in Lower Sunnyslope and the perp went to the spec home for tools.

Finally----I have no trouble believing that MCs sadness could have been so strong that it permeated people's dreams that night. I am hopeful that in return our concern and care for her permeates her spirit with warmth.

One other thing. My friend said that one of her co-workers said that the salesman at Sangster motors said that WC, JF AND MC all came in. I don't know who the saleman was and I don't know if they were just looking or already in the buying process, but the fact that someone said MC was with them would mean WC was buying JF the truck before MC disappeared. The salesman also apparently said that he was confused as to whether JF was there with WC or there with MC. This is a rumor, though. Can anyone substantiate it? Anyone know the salesmen at Sangster's?

Autumn Rose----why did you pick the railroad tracks out of the whole story---did your friend really emphasize that landmark as being meaningful?

I wonder if MC could have been held in Lower Sunnyslope and the perp went to the spec home for tools.

Finally----I have no trouble believing that MCs sadness could have been so strong that it permeated people's dreams that night. I am hopeful that in return our concern and care for her permeates her spirit with warmth.

Yes. She place a lot of emphasis on the tracks. She was very focused on getting across them. Apparently it would be easy to get high centered on them. That is also where the dream began.

I'm wondering if it might possibly be in Orondo? The house was her "home". She placed a lot of emphasis on the physical changes to the interior and described the feelings MC was feeling about walking in and having it all changed. Not just the physical changes, but that she was NOT WELCOME and there was no longer anything of hers there. All her clothes were gone, etc. Possibly a house she lived in as a child that had been remodeled?
Lower Sunnyslope is what my gut is telling me, though. Maybe it's the rural feel of the dream and the railroad track thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti