GUILTY VA - Tina Smith, 41, slain, 12yo daughter abducted, Salem, 2 Dec 2010 - #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Roanoke County Police confirmed to 10 On Your Side that investigators have identified a second man who had contact with Jeffrey Easley, before Easley left with Brittany Smith for San Francisco.

A criminal complaint filed against Easley by the FBI claims a man picked up Easley and Brittany, after Easley sold his red Chevy SUV on the night of December 3rd.

Police say this was after surveillance video captured Easley and Brittany at the Salem Wal-Mart at 8:30 p.m. on December 3rd, and after a security camera taped similar video of Easley and Brittany leaving a nearby Apple Market convenience store about an hour later.

Investigators said they know the man's identity who picked up Easley and Brittany, after the pair stopped at the Apple Market, but declined to provide any more details, saying the case is still under investigation."
-----------------------
So by reading this, once they sold the SUV to AM, they had yet another person come pick them up. To take them back to TS's house to pick up her Neon at that point? I guess it is possible that JE killed her, spent the next several hours working on a plan, called AM told him he'd sell him his SUV, took Brittany to Walmart, talked to AM in Walmart on his cell, possibly telling him 'I'm leaving Walmart now, meet you at the Apple Mart', got the money for the SUV, had AM drop him off somewhere other than TS's house (so AM wouldn't see the murder/crime scene?) or he could have hung out at the apple mart until the second person showed up, got that person to take him back to ts's house to pick up the Neon, second person drives off not noticing anything wrong and JE and Brittany hit the road. Maybe he did do it itself and neither of the other two knew. If AM was involved, why wouldn't he just drive JE and Brittany back to Tina's house to pick up the Neon? It was just down the road a piece. Why include another person?

The timeline is Walmart
Then the Apple Market where they sell the SUV.
Then to a third location where they must catch a ride back to the neon to get on the road.

The timeline is Walmart
Then the Apple Market where they sell the SUV.
Then to a third location where they must catch a ride back to the neon to get on the road.

I agree...

And like a posted above, I really don't think AM had anything to do with TS's murder. He's not a newbie criminal - he has a record. So he's too smart to keep possession of JE's red Blazer out in the wide open (or did he turn it in to LE?). Either way, I can't help but believe he would not want to be caught with the vehicle of someone who is on the run with a child after the mother was murdered (and this goes for whether AM just knew that JE murdered TS, or whether it's being speculated that AM assisted with the murder of TS).

I just don't think he would keep the Blazer afterwards. If he has assisted with the murder or had knowledge of it, he would've ditched that vehicle ASAP or refused to take it to begin with. Even if it's true as some have speculated that JE maybe gave AM the Blazer as 'payment', AM would not have held onto it that long - he would have sold it the next day. :twocents:

And if it turns out AM did assist JE... AND kept the Blazer in broad daylight, then that's just as stupid as a news story I saw once where someone held up a bank using the back of one of their checks as the note they gave the teller. When they got home from robbing the bank, LE was waiting at their house. Not smart at all on AM's part to keep the Blazer... doesn't make sense.

I agree...

And like a posted above, I really don't think AM had anything to do with TS's murder. He's not a newbie criminal - he has a record. So he's too smart to keep possession of JE's red Blazer out in the wide open (or did he turn it in to LE?). Either way, I can't help but believe he would not want to be caught with the vehicle of someone who is on the run with a child after the mother was murdered (and this goes for whether AM just knew that JE murdered TS, or whether it's being speculated that AM assisted with the murder of TS).

I just don't think he would keep the Blazer afterwards. If he has assisted with the murder or had knowledge of it, he would've ditched that vehicle ASAP or refused to take it to begin with. Even if it's true as some have speculated that JE maybe gave AM the Blazer as 'payment', AM would not have held onto it that long - he would have sold it the next day. :twocents:

And if it turns out AM did assist JE... AND kept the Blazer in broad daylight, then that's just as stupid as a news story I saw once where someone held up a bank using the back of one of their checks as the note they gave the teller. When they got home from robbing the bank, LE was waiting at their house. Not smart at all on AM's part to keep the Blazer... doesn't make sense.
And in the video where a reporter went to AM's house (the duplex in Garden City) a woman (you can hear her voice but cannot see her) opened the door and the reporter asked her if JE had been there and she said 'if the police haven't told you, I'm not going to tell you'. Why would she even open the door for a reporter if they (her and AM) were involved? I don't think AM or the girlfriend knew anything either.
Something else, I just watched the apple mart video again and JE leaves for about 15 seconds while they were in the store and then comes back in. He didn't really have time to walk back to the SUV as it was on the far lane at the market. Did he see the second person drive up and walked out to give a quick 'hey' and let the person know he was in the store?? Hmmmm....

Tina was an army veteran???!!! Hadn't heard that before.

I'm so disgusted with this entire thing. I'm glad Britt came home safe and can now heal from this with her family but we have Easley the pervert (who apparently thinks this is all a joke as per court video) and at least one, possibly three other people who either knew about or participated in several crimes. We also have a bunch of people who knew this pervert was with a young girl and accepted it like it was normal. I'm SO disgusted and angry right now.

http://www.wset.com/Global/story.asp?S=13671824 ...(snipped)...
How is it that the manager knew the family but the clerk didn't?? Did he and the manager never work the same shift together or was the manager never on duty when BS and JE came in together all "lovey dovey"?

And why would McElvy "abandon" his car??

I'm sooooooo confused.....

BBM

The manager could have known TS from the community and not from coming in the store.

We will NEVER know the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, believe me! I've had little sleep for a week trying to keep up with all of this, and I think it's time that we gave up wondering, speculating, assuming, contriving, and thank the universe that BS is home & safe, and let TS finally rest in peace.
The law already have way more info than any of us, including any that BS was willing to share. The abridged version of the story will come out in due course, but my opinion is there is nothing more that we can do here. Thank you all for the brainstorming and your hard work keeping us up to date, Keep your families safe. x

MHO... I think TS was killed sometime in the later afternoon or early evening (since wasn't there a FB post by her around 1:30). I do believe she was deceased by the time the trip to WM took place.

Kind of some controlled frantic activity - WM trip, ATM, Apple Market, loading up items from the house, packing for the cross country trip. All of these things took time. We know at what times some of these things took place - but the removal of the items from the house to the SUV - sounds like this was done either before the WM trip or sometime after that but before the Apple Market stop. Same with the packing of personal items for the get away. And then again, we don't actually know when JSE and BS left the area. They may not have left town until sometime later.

I would expect that the RCPD could narrow down the time if there was a parking ticket issued when they parked the neon in the parking lot at (near) the SF Airport. Usually those tickets are day and time dated. So would believe that this could help narrow down the time to when they left Salem.

I don't know why, but I don't believe that AM knew outright about the murder of TS. I'm thinking that maybe JSE was hoping that his actions would set up AM to be complicit in the actions of that day and that JSE could deflect some (if not all) of the murder onto AM.

All JSE had to tell AM was that he and "his girl" were having money problems...and with the holidays coming and all they needed money for presents/bills, etc. I would think it possible that at some point (earlier) that AM expressed and interest in JSE's vehicle.

Like the others, if AM was involved with TS's murder (or even had any inkling about it), he would have been dumber than a box of rocks to 1) leave his vehicle somewhere; 2) to have JSE's SUV at his home; 3) to have been driving around in that SUV. I just don't believe that AM had any reason to not believe this was a legitimate transaction.

Yeah...AM has a bad past, but that doesn't mean he knowingly helped in any direct way with TS's murder, nor does it mean he was ever in TS's home.

What I don't understand though...is if JM was in the vehicle with AM when they went to make this transaction, then why didn't one of them drive the vehicle they came in back to their home? Why was this "purple car" left behind? Wasn't it stated that both the purple car and the SUV were filled up with gas? I think that is what is perplexing me - fill up the purple car and leave it? Something about that doesn't make sense to me.

Unless JSE and AM were supposedly trading vehicles and then for some reason decided not to use the "purple car" - maybe because of the color?

I'm rambling...I'll quit...

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/270793

This article has some great points about Brittany's road to recovery.

"Her life isn't going to be the same," said Margaret Blaustein, a psychologist with the Trauma Center in Brookline, Mass., who works with children. "A child doesn't go through a significant trauma and come out the exact same."

Part of Brittany's recovery is to understand that things aren't the same and to confront her mom's death and her cross-country trip with Easley, Blaustein said.

Brittany's future identity "has to incorporate what happened," Blaustein said. "It's not getting over it. It's taking that information in and having that become part of who she is."

Community support could help Brittany's recovery, said Russell Jones, a psychology professor at Virginia Tech who specializes in trauma.

"Social support, whether in the form of family, friends, or community members, have often been the number one predictor of success," Jones said.

The video at the Apple Market where JE keeps going back to the front door and actually walks outside for a moment is driving me crazy. It was just such odd behaviour. I remain partially convinced that he intentionally dropped a key to Tina's house behind that door for a third person to retrieve. Another possibility occurred to me this morning, however. What if Tina was in the purple car being watched by a third person? I could see JE going to the door and making sure Tina was under control in the car. Maybe JE come up with some ruse to get Tina to bring her car to some location - perhaps the parking lot where the purple car was retrieved and she was forced to get into the purple car. At this point, JE and BS could have driven the red SUV from the Apple Market to the parking lot, got Tina's car and hit the road while AM and whoever the third person was took Tina back to her home where the murder happened and the items were stolen. Afterwards, the purple car could have been driven back to the parking lot, abandoned and the red SUV driven home by AM. Maybe JE was stupid enough to think someone would think Tina was murdered during a robbery gone bad under these circumstances??? All of this is of course, just me thinking out loud trying to make sense of so many vehicles being involved and why they stopped and went in the Apple Market.

One thing that reaches out to me is the statement by one of the detectives about the things they found out in SF made us want to take care of her (something like that). Makes me wonder if they think she is in danger now because of what she knows. She may know exactly who killed her mother and they may know she knows it. In this case, her father, who fortunately is a police officer, needs to be sure she is protected closely. Or they could have been referring to what she has been through, as the reason for wanting to take care of her. Bless her heart.

"Her life isn't going to be the same," said Margaret Blaustein, a psychologist with the Trauma Center in Brookline, Mass., who works with children. "A child doesn't go through a significant trauma and come out the exact same."

Part of Brittany's recovery is to understand that things aren't the same and to confront her mom's death and her cross-country trip with Easley, Blaustein said.

Brittany's future identity "has to incorporate what happened," Blaustein said. "It's not getting over it. It's taking that information in and having that become part of who she is."

Community support could help Brittany's recovery, said Russell Jones, a psychology professor at Virginia Tech who specializes in trauma.

"Social support, whether in the form of family, friends, or community members, have often been the number one predictor of success," Jones said.

Yep, she'll never be a regular 7th or 8th or 9th grader ever again and the worst thing she can do is TRY to go back to life like everything is normal..because it's not she'll find a new normal But it's going to take a very long time.. She will/has changed forever. (Speaking as a survivor)

One thing that reaches out to me is the statement by one of the detectives about the things they found out in SF made us want to take care of her (something like that). Makes me wonder if they think she is in danger now because of what she knows. She may know exactly who killed her mother and they may know she knows it. In this case, her father, who fortunately is a police officer, needs to be sure she is protected closely. Or they could have been referring to what she has been through, as the reason for wanting to take care of her. Bless her heart.

You're going where my mind is taking me.

snipped and BBM below:

"The information and evidence that we have obtained here will be shipped back (to Virginia)," McPhail said. "It should be extremely productive."
http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/virginia/man-accused-in-va-girl-kidnap-waives-extradition-121410

My thoughts about JE going back to the door shortly after he walked in with BS and the other guy is because the door was stuck in the open position. It appears when he looks towards the corner of the area was to check the mat on the floor. IMO.

http://www2.wsls.com/news/2010/dec/...-video-easley-brittany-smith-leavi-ar-712919/

Not sure why he went back outside after what appears that the cashier is either giving directions or possibly pointing to the pumps and what number the cars are at for gas.

I know I have parked in front of a pump, went inside to prepay for gas and not know the number of the pump.

The vehicles were in plain sight, so I would think the cashier would know which pump was used for each vehicle. I've never worked at a gas station, but there is something inside telling them how much gas was removed from each pump. I could understand if the place was packed full of customers, but it wasn't.

I also wonder if the "second male" was outside waiting.

ETA: As far as him going to fix the mat at the door...it looks to me that he's so fidgety that he HAS to do something other than stand there while waiting for the other customer to leave. Him and BS both look extremely nervous.

It will take the community as well, but think it should be kept low key. Teachers and even her father's buddies in LE should keep an eye of awareness out for any signs. Mentally she is not that 12 yr old any longer. I know the father and family are elated and want this holiday to be special for her, but it should be kept low keyed also, imo. Too much attention just may be detrimental in the future....if at one point she is seeking attention....here..she is still a tween. I do not mean to be critical....just that the fine line and balance has now begun for the family....and it's not easy. Praying the family finds a good therapist to help them all work through this. I'm so mad at that right now...I'd like to hang him by his rocket and boosters...and make sure his tanked was filled!!!!! Where are you....Bubba?

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member