NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never had a problem with the timeline for his trip being on the 10th...to me it pretty clear he did it on this date.

The question remains why? Why that trip? Thats what I would like to see more sluething done on. Was he running errands, transporting goods or people or just on a long drive to see an old flame? Pretty expensive trip if you add it up concidering he is supposed to not have any money.

At this point the only thing that can be ruled out is that he is not here.

JMOO

I'm reading the earlier threads and watched the surveillance video footage again.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #1

After Steven's car goes past, another vehicle goes past also, and as Steven turns the corner, what looks like the same vehicle has turned around and stops at the intersection where Steven turned.

Maybe they were suspicious of a stranger in the neighborhood, and a young one at that.

But whoever it was in that vehicle, it would be good to know whether they came forward.

4f7bd67a.jpg

eta
I guess a lot of people turn around in the cul-de-sac, but IMO the driver of this car was going very slowly, as if he was looking at something else while driving.

I'm reading the earlier threads and watched the surveillance video footage again.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #1

After Steven's car goes past, another vehicle goes past also, and as Steven turns the corner, what looks like the same vehicle has turned around and stops at the intersection where Steven turned.

Maybe they were suspicious of a stranger in the neighborhood, and a young one at that.

But whoever it was in that vehicle, it would be good to know whether they came forward.

If you're referring to the white SUV - they have been cleared in relation to Steven going missing.

Did Steven write freelance articles? Could he have been working on a story? Was in the habit of keeping his notes on him (recorded or notebook)?

The last cell tower contact was the voicemail check.

Nothing at all, after that.
Was it ever discussed if any of the house owners in the neighborhood where Steven was last seen walking also owned any property in the area where his phone last pinged? It does seem like he had a noon appointment, and then moved away from the area where he parked (based on phone records). I could even imagine that he worked for the day and it was too late to go back so he spent the night somewhere else (assuming it was him checking his voice mail). What happens then is just guessing. A fight or an accident covered up? My feeling is that he was killed (either accidentally or on purpose) and it is being covered up, but it is hard to tell based on the little evidence. Impressive to see how much work has been done on this case by several board members. Great :)

Did Steven write freelance articles? Could he have been working on a story? Was in the habit of keeping his notes on him (recorded or notebook)?

We don't know - but there has been nothing that points to that, as far as we know. He did keep journals, which is standard for members of the LDS faith.

Was it ever discussed if any of the house owners in the neighborhood where Steven was last seen walking also owned any property in the area where his phone last pinged? It does seem like he had a noon appointment, and then moved away from the area where he parked (based on phone records). I could even imagine that he worked for the day and it was too late to go back so he spent the night somewhere else (assuming it was him checking his voice mail). What happens then is just guessing. A fight or an accident covered up? My feeling is that he was killed (either accidentally or on purpose) and it is being covered up, but it is hard to tell based on the little evidence. Impressive to see how much work has been done on this case by several board members. Great :)

No one in the neighborhood where his car was found saw him - or so they say. None of his fliers were found in the area, so if he was "working," it wasn't at his known job. If he did go to a home in the area - for whatever reason - it would appear he never left it under his own power.

I have been to the neighborhood several times and have not seen anyone out and about - ever. Also - every, single home is perfect. There is nothing that stands out in any way.

I have been to the neighborhood several times and have not seen anyone out and about - ever. Also - every, single home is perfect. There is nothing that stands out in any way.

Living in Las Vegas for 6 years now, that description fits very well the planned suburban communities of the area. First, it's just too hot to spend much time outside anyways but it's also how those lots were built: the builder will landscape the front yard, quite often with just rocks and desert shrubs... its made to look pretty, not be a play or hanging out area. That is for the fenced-in backyard.

... and most HOAs are very active regarding appearance, sending out letters when you have a dead shrub, weeds or even too big potted plants in your front yard. They want it to be that way with little to stand out.

Steven had to have a reason to be there, you don't end up there without purpose

You don't understand why they recreated the first video?
Because showing the actual neighborhood would invade the privacy of the residents. The second video was shown.

You stated yourself that the street signs were shown. Anyone could look up either street with Henderson, NV on google and know exactly where it would be. Same with just reviewing his case on the web. It's all out there.

They were mentioned. You should have watched the show.

I was going from Marjoy's post, saying the calls were not mentioned. ??

What changing information?
Are you talking about the drive to Ruby Valley?
It's been confirmed for months, which day he took that drive.

Yes. There was no confirmation from MSM or LE that I recall. Do you have a link? Your info was taken from one post on FB. If LE or media can confirm this sighting, I'll take it as fact. I know we do not agree on this issue, but from the beginning there was the change of his arrival in RV, and then yet, here, we have another change....not confirmed, in my thinking. Just something about it is hinky, imo.

The info that "came forward" was that he had attended his Temple on Dec 9th, which Steven's mother did not know about at the time of the press conference. Remember, that information was posted on the Facebook page, but not under the "last time I saw Steven". It was mentioned as an aside, under "How did you know Steven?"

Mrs Koecher was understandably upset and doing her best at that press conference.

I feel sorry for her, having had her husband hounded to death by outside parties with sinister intent

Again, that info on the Temple info coming forward, never, from the time it was mentioned on FB till now has been in the MSM, mentioned by any LE, including LV, SG, & WV police departments., nor the PI, nor Deanne, Rolf, or any family member. No quotes in MSM anywhere - vs- her press conference. I find it hard to believe after the many talks the family must have had with the people of his ward, that no one knew this info two months later, and even harder to believe that if it was fact, it would have been brought forward by LE and/or the media, just in the simple fact it is a timeline that someone could have seen him at the various locations.

Deanne did very well at the press conference and she never faltered when telling her timeline. I had even mentioned she seemed to be more collected than Rolf at the time, which surprised me because his livelihood was with he media.

I think my fiancee thought I was going to blow a gasket when they brought up Susan Powell. That was time that I felt could have been spent on other "facts". Like his calls with G. I think that his erratic driving should have been mentioned more and plotted out on a map for people to see.
KC did a great great job. Overall, I believe it was well done and my thoughts are with his family and friends. His father's passing is a tragedy.

BBM:

I agree. It would have helped tremedously if LE or the media could have mapped out the facts of his whereabouts the week before his disappearance.

In checking the phone records, it seems that he often turned his phone off (to preserve battery life? to hide his travels?)

Like on Dec 12th. His phone communicates with an Overton NV tower ....but not again until he's in Mesquite (back north almost to St George) about 8 hours later.

So we know he had his phone with him.....but we don't know where he was in the meantime.

Really, we can't say who had his phone or who made the calls after his communications with the members of his ward that morning....that's why I'm not seeing the phone records as relevant...unless they could be verified.

RSBM

They had to bring it up. As you can see, there are still those interested in pushing that scenario, for obvious reasons.
I think the scenario was/is worth looking into, but I have no agenda to pursue, nor pushing it on anyone, including the Powell family. I think it's a little presumptuous to tie anyone looking into it to the Powell family as well as the many subtle comments that this scenario caused Rolf's illness. But, I understand that some are more dramatic than others and go by their emotions. His passing was very tragic.

No ranting here. It was just a duty they had to fulfill, and it gave LE a chance to toss it out the cat door. :woohoo:

IIRC....the last time WVPD was ask by the media, they would not comment on their investigation into the connection. That doesn't mean they tossed the idea. Did they interview any LE on the ID program stating contrary?

West Valley City police say they're still investigating Susan's disappearance and they're not discussing details such as whether they investigated a connection to Koecher's disappearance.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20447539,00.html

The program will be re-aired again on the 17th for all interested.

This information BBM is incorrect IIRC. The family did not know until Thursday, the 17th, which would be 4 days from the video taken at noon on the 13th or more, if going by the last personal physical sighting, which I believe was the Friday before. His mother retrieved the voice mail of Wed on Thursday. Please correct me if I'm mistaken. I know you will. ;) lol

Apr 17, 6:00 pm ******I am on Mountain Time....but I would double check your local listings for the correct time.

(60 minutes)

Disappeared
Secrets of a Son
TV-PG (V), CC

Steven Koecher's car is found abandoned near Las Vegas, and no one has heard from him in two days. He's a clean-cut, church-going young journalist, not the type to go missing. There are no signs of violence, and no leads.

ETA: Whoops! http://investigation.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=141.15373.132227.40769.28

RSBM

I think the scenario was/is worth looking into, but I have no agenda to pursue, nor pushing it on anyone, including the Powell family. I think it's a little presumptuous to tie anyone looking into it to the Powell family as well as the many subtle comments that this scenario caused Rolf's illness. But, I understand that some are more dramatic than others and go by their emotions. His passing was very tragic.

And not all people who would consider the possibility are as polite and restrained as you are. The probable guilty parties in the other case got really extreme about pushing it, since it directed attention away from them. I used to think there might be some connection, though probably not the obvious one, but the way those guys jumped all over the possibility tells me no, no way, gotta look the other direction...

(respectful snipping)

The white SUV belongs to a real estate agent who was showing a home at that address.

I was going from Marjoy's post, saying the calls were not mentioned. ??

To Clarify, the calls WERE mentioned...but just mentioned briefly. Nothing about what was said, and if I recall correctly, nothing was mentioned about GW also saying he was in Las Vegas. Which is what I find peculiar.

HI, I'm new. I'm originally from the Henderson area and saw the show a few days ago. I've been looking over posts and timelines and many of my questions are the same as many that seem to have been asked already (such as how did he know to go where he was going in Henderson, why did he go to Vegas, why the trip to Ruby Valley, etc)

The few ideas I had that I could not find answers for are:
-why would he be willing to volunteer to return to SG when the call came in from the person who asked him to be at the meeting? Could he have been uneasy about what he had planned for the day? For someone with little income it would have been a big waste to drive nearly to vegas and then turn around and go back because of a phone call. Heck, I don’t even go to Costco if I can’t figure out 2 or 3 other shops to hit on the way. If the meeting was for an interview you would think that he would not volunteer to return....For someone near broke an interview is a big deal, you would not volunteer to miss it....which makes me wonder if there was another reason to go to Vegas...He had a few christmas presents in his car, could he have gone to vegas to buy a christmas gift for a family member (craigslist?) I also wonder if he had been to the house before, hesitant or not he was sure walking with purpose. Yes he could have drove by ahead of time so he knew exactly where he was going, but it seems pretty clear he knew exactly where to go.

-If he were to just walk off into the desert, why not do that directly from his car? He would have no reason to walk through a residential area if that was his plan all along and the desert was right there. I know someone mentioned driving by the neighborhood, can you tell if all the houses are fenced? If there is a cinder block wall behind the houses on that street and the street makes a u shape then his destination was a house on that street. Someone HAD to have seen him because he would not walk that direction just to hop a fence. It seems pretty clear he had an appointment for noon. If he left his car at 11:56+/- how far could he have walked within 4 minutes? If this was an interview it would be important to be on time (good first impression) If someone HAD to have seen him, someone on that street is LYING. If someone on that street is lying, what else are they hiding? If someone ends up in the area, do me a favor, start where Steven's car was parked, turn on evening lights and follow the curve on portsmouth creek and then head back towards the car on savannah springs...how far do you get before you run out of 4 minutes?
(I'm using the google image here: 35.943341,-115.102137 - Google Maps)
If there is direct access to the golf course, could that have been the intended meeting point all along? If I were having someone meet me on the green who did not live there, I would have told them to park where Steven's car was parked (so as not to disturb the other residents) If you got out of the car and walked for 4 minutes where would you be if you headed towards the golf course. Could he have hopped on a golf cart with whoever he was meeting and that is why he never returned to his car?
-I hate to bring it up but has anyone explored this from a sex offender angle? (sorry, I just watched a John Wayne Gacy show on the ID channel) Steven was described as young for his age, possibly naive and robbery does not seem to be a motive (no atm money pulled, car not ransacked) If you look at the time of the later cell phone pings, one near american pacific, @4:36 and then two more at 6:58 what if he was held against his will from noon-4:36, the american pacific stop was "dumping ground" and then the 6:58 ping was once whoever had his cell phone got moving again. 4:36 minutes captive, 1.5 hours driving/dumping and then back on the road again. I did do a search of sex offenders for the area his car was found in, but I haven’t tried it yet for the whitney ranch area or American pacific. I haven’t been back to vegas for many years but if my memory serves me well it gets dark early in the winter, could waiting until 4:30 be waiting for the cover of darkness? A possible whole in this theory is there is nothing quiet about American pacific/sunset area on a Sunday a few weeks before Christmas. There is a mall in the area and it is a mad house! You could not pay me to go there…but, lots of cars would make it easy to be part of the crowd if you are moseying along.

I did not write down names but I did jot down a few dates of missing men from that area in the same age range (courtesy of laytonian’s timeline- Thanks!)
12/13/09-Steven
10/23/08
7/31/06
4/4/04
3/6/02
9/22/00
I’m sure if we all stare at these numbers long enough we can come up with a meaning important to us that probably has nothing to do with the case, but every 2 years or so something is going on….
Another thought I had that I haven’t had a chance to explore is dates moving forward…Have we tried to fill in the similar cases chart with dates since December 2009?

I have some more scattered thoughts to try and pull together but for now I have to retrieve my little one from pre-school. Be back soon.
-Melissa

To Clarify, the calls WERE mentioned...but just mentioned briefly. Nothing about what was said, and if I recall correctly, nothing was mentioned about GS also saying he was in Las Vegas. Which is what I find peculiar.

GW. (He's stated he arrived back in St George in time for the church sessions, having missed the PEC planning meeting. If that's untrue, it's easily checked because the ward records contain all those details....like who went to the Temple on Dec 9th).

No other names were mentioned in the show, unless they came forward (ie, family members, Craig Retke or the police who were interviewed).

As with Websleuths (where we don't mention full names unless someone's been named a suspect), it's a legal issue. Even giving someone's initials would cause them to be easily identified. I'd have liked to have seen Mr Security interviewed. But he's not part of the case.

It would take an 8-hour miniseries to include all the details of the case.

The main purpose, was to get the case more publicity.
I think it succeeded well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member