April 22 weekend of Sleuthiness

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you know they only looked at BC? Did CPD inform you about every interview they conducted between 7/12/08 and 10/27/08? Or are you taking everything the defense says as gospel?

We have access to so many legal docs in this thing. Based on what the defense says, who is it that CPD should be looking at? How can you look at someone else if you don't have anybody? Or if alibis are solid for the 2 or 3 people you might consider? If Nancy was having an affair, wouldn't Brad have had at least an inkling, given how he monitored her communications - and given the police a name? Heck I know I woulda.

We have access to so many legal docs in this thing. Based on what the defense says, who is it that CPD should be looking at? How can you look at someone else if you don't have anybody? Or if alibis are solid for the 2 or 3 people you might consider? If Nancy was having an affair, wouldn't Brad have had at least an inkling, given how he monitored her communications - and given the police a name? Heck I know I woulda.

I think the issue isn't so much that they only focused on BC, it's that in the early days of the investigation, the only evidence they had was hearsay from neighbors/friends. It would be troubling to me if they only focused on him based on that and only that. We even caught a hint that CPD didn't buy his story from the very beginning because Greer testified that they told the ME that last time seen was shortly after midnight, not 7am. (this was on the 15th when the body was found)

This is why CPD hasn't came out in this trial and said they focused on him (and only him) from the very beginning.

Sorry, but it is in the rules of professional conduct. It applies to every attorney in every proceeding to ensure the very thing that you seem to accuse Kurtz of doing does not happen. Sorry, I know that doesn't bolster your suggestion that the defense is weak.

I think the issue isn't so much that they only focused on BC, it's that in the early days of the investigation, the only evidence they had was hearsay from neighbors/friends. It would be troubling to me if they only focused on him based on that and only that.

This is why CPD hasn't came out in this trial and said they focused on him (and only him) from the very beginning.

So who else should they have been focused on? Its okay to say they should focus elsewhere. But nobody seems to have given a physical description of anyone for them to focus UPON. Should they have looked for a man, or a woman? A white van or a maroon one? Should they haul people out of maroon vans and look at them closely?

There are names. One of whom does not have a solid alibi, had an adversarial meeting with NC prior to her disappearance and lied in his initial interview with the police.

There is another person, had gone running recently with NC. Stated when they ran she left her house and ran up to Lochmere to meet this person.

Who knows if there are more.

So who else should they have been focused on? Its okay to say they should focus elsewhere. But nobody seems to have given a physical description of anyone for them to focus UPON. Should they have looked for a man, or a woman? A white van or a maroon one? Should they haul people out of maroon vans and look at them closely?

Nancy's unknown boyfriend that her friends either didn't know about, or hid from LE in order to railroad Brad? That's it!

Originally Posted by Wyn
Didn't he tell her he had looked at possible job openings in France? She was looking at job openings here? I think the jury may feel it makes a difference.

Honestly, I don't know the relationship he had with her and really don't care. I don't think it makes any difference at all to deciding if he killed NC or not.

You know, this reminds me of years ago, the Laci Peterson case. I was posting on a different crime group then. And early on, I posted that I thought we'd come to find out scott peterson was a *player*. this was well before amber came to light. RStJ, another prolific poster there, disagreed vehemently with my opinion. we went back and forth, and then amber showed, and the girlfriend scott had the first year of his marriage, and a number of other women in various cities he visited on his trav eling salesman job. I think Brad was a player too. Yeah, I think Nancy probably did have a couple emotional affairs, but for nancy, I think she was looking for something she wasn't getting at home. Not sex as much as a connection, an emotional connection to meet her emotional needs. Deep down inside she was v ery lonely in her marriage. MO

There are names. One of whom does not have a solid alibi, had an adversarial meeting with NC prior to her disappearance and lied in his initial interview with the police.

There is another person, had gone running recently with NC. Stated when they ran she left her house and ran up to Lochmere to meet this person.

Who knows if there are more.

What did the CPD do with regards to investigation of these people? Has it been published? The assumption here is nothing, but do you know the assumption is correct?

I think the issue isn't so much that they only focused on BC, it's that in the early days of the investigation, the only evidence they had was hearsay from neighbors/friends. It would be troubling to me if they only focused on him based on that and only that. We even caught a hint that CPD didn't buy his story from the very beginning because Greer testified that they told the ME that last time seen was shortly after midnight, not 7am. (this was on the 15th when the body was found)

They had accounts from friends/neighbors and his behavior. Once they started looking at him, they continued to find suspicious behavior such as his cleaning marathon and on it goes.

I have a question for you knowledgeable sleuths out there. This thing about the state using the FBI to do their computer forensics is a bit puzzling to me. I thought the FBI didn't generally get involved in a trial unless it was a Federal trial. Is it common for the FBI to act as experts in state trials or did the state use the FBI because of the current credibility problems with the NC SBI?

The "FBI" computer forensic expert CC is actually a Durham police detective who is dual-badged I think as a "Deputy US Marshal" as part of the FBI Cyber Crime Task Force. By doing the work under the "FBI" label, the police are able to deny all those pesky Brady rights by claiming protected methods under the National Security exemption. "We think you guilty, sorry we can't tell just why. Can't let the terrorists win." Total BS. CC had only examined 5 computers before BC's.

Anyway, that is what is going regarding the FBI.

This was originally posted in yesterdays thread(pg. 39). I wasn't aware of this thread or I would have posted it here. I copied it here because I would like to hear what others have to say regarding why the FBI was being used to do the Computer Forensic Analysis.

Nancy's unknown boyfriend that her friends either didn't know about, or hid from LE in order to railroad Brad? That's it!

That'd have to be some boyfriend she had there, no wonder she was having an affair. A tech whiz able to plant files and change timestamps and also convince a whole buncha people to perjure theirselves for him.

What did the CPD do with regards to investigation of these people? Has it been published? The assumption here is nothing, but do you know the assumption is correct?

Hopefully we will find out more as the trial continues. The information was not turned over during discovery and Det. Y did not feel the potential of NC being in a relationship with somebody was important to the investigation.

Heck yeah. At a minimum, you can compare what each thought she was wearing or document what she was wearing. That would potentially eliminate some of them from being credible.

IIRC, that must be the preferred 'outfit' for those who disappear. Laci Peterson, according to scott, disappeared in black pants and a white top. I'd guess because pretty much everybody has numerous 'black bottoms & white tops'.

That perhaps somebody else killed NC rather than BC. They didn't even consider this possibility. Very unprofessional for a law enforcement agency, in my opinion

You keep repeating this, but again, how do you know they didn't consider a possibility that someone other than BC may have killed NC? Is it because they didn't tell you?

What this says is that people need the perception of the cops looking at several other people, even if no evidence exists to lead them in that direction. This is about feelings of depth and breadth of investigation, but not about the reality of what information CPD was working with.

Unless you were part of the investigation, I don't think you can say who all the CPD looked at or not.

Hopefully we will find out more as the trial continues. The information was not turned over during discovery and Det. Y did not feel the potential of NC being in a relationship with somebody was important to the investigation.

Ok, so you don't know they didn't look at these folks. That's all.

That'd have to be some boyfriend she had there, no wonder she was having an affair. A tech whiz able to plant files and change timestamps and also convince a whole buncha people to perjure theirselves for him.

Maybe he looked good by the pool and was great with kids? That seems to be a plus in Lochmere. They haven't outed him because he's the neighborhood gigolo.

Because they are friends of friends of mine. Let's just say - that it will get very intense and interesting.

If they shared the defense list with you....do you want to tell us anything else they have shared?

Maybe he looked good by the pool and was great with kids? That seems to be a plus in Lochmere. They haven't outed him because he's the neighborhood gigolo.

Good gig, if'n you can get it

The defense sent out something like 240 subpoenas. Seriously, is there anyone who didn't get one? I think people's cousins, pets, and inlaws got them too. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod