IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the latest version of the loud online article of Laurens roomie HT it has LE stating that LS/CR were seen on video leaving Smallwood 2:45.. And now that these two were then seen on cam near alley heading to CRs apt at 3:00am..

Totally and cometely different from their being seen leaving Smallwood at 2:45 then only have MB stating that when the arrived at his apt(no ime given)that CR was put to bed..
And that between 3:15-3:30am Lauren was last seen on cam near alley with a "friend" engaged in "activity"..

So which is accurate because one states a much earlier time with a very specific person, CR
And the second states a much later time with refusal to name the friend and says that activity was seen as well..

Any clarity? Because these differences IMO make a huge differenc

"This struggle for identity as a Jew is one that I can relate to on a more personal level. I identify with being Jewish, I was Bat Mitzvah, attended temple on the high holy days and went to Hebrew school. However, only my father is Jewish. My mother was raised Catholic and has never converted to Judaism but goes to temple with us and fully supported the choice to raise us Jewish. So I follow rituals that are thought of by many as traditionally Jewish, but my mother is not Jewish and each year we also celebrate Christmas." - Lauren

This is sad. Just a girl trying to figure out who she was in this world.

WHERE IS LAUREN?

Lauren's public blog: http://lspierer.blogspot.com/

Very interesting. It's a blog where she talks about Judaism and being Jewish... Very smart girl.

Hi, CuriousGirl2010. This blog seems to have been a course-related site. One of my professor friends assigns his students to create such online commentaries.

It is a bit heart-breaking. As you say, she seems to have been an intelligent, serious young woman.

Hi, CuriousGirl2010. This blog seems to have been a course-related site. One of my professor friends assigns his students to create such online commentaries.

It is a bit heart-breaking. As you say, she seems to have been an intelligent, serious young woman.

Yes, it sems to be course related. But she seems passionate about it.

Let me just say that this drug talk seems all very sensationalistic. I was a student in Bloomington until the mid-1990's but continued to have friends that went to the university into the early 2000's. I also hung out with a more Bohemian type crowd. And I can honestly say that hard drugs (i.e. cocaine, heroin, and meth) were NOT common by ANY stretch of the imagination. Most people drank and possibly smoked pot, and maybe on occasion did LSD or mushrooms. A VERY small percentage of kids (the "rave" kids) did Ecstasy. But cocaine or heroin? No. Most college kids from middle-class backgrounds couldn't AFFORD to do cocaine even if they wanted to! Of course you would always hear RUMORS of what the "college kids were doing" like having "orgies" and wild drug parties...But the reality was much more pedestrian then that.

Now MAYBE many of these wealthy kids from the East Coast are doing this sort of thing but I remain skeptical. I think because these kids tend to be wealthier and aren't from around here the rumor-mill tends to generate these kind of wild stories about those "crazy" East-Coast kids...And let's not forget that alcohol kills FAR more people than cocaine. I would imagine alcohol poisoning could kill a person with a heart condition just as well as cocaine could.

Let me just say that this drug talk seems all very sensationalistic. I was a student in Bloomington until the mid-1990's but continued to have friends that went to the university into the early 2000's. I also hung out with a more Bohemian type crowd. And I can honestly say that hard drugs (i.e. cocaine, heroin, and meth) were NOT common by ANY stretch of the imagination. Most people drank and possibly smoked pot, and maybe on occasion did LSD or mushrooms. A VERY small percentage of kids (the "rave" kids) did Ecstasy. But cocaine or heroin? No. Most college kids from middle-class backgrounds couldn't AFFORD to do cocaine even if they wanted to! Of course you would always hear RUMORS of what the "college kids were doing" like having "orgies" and wild drug parties...But the reality was much more pedestrian then that.

I respectfully disagree. I attended IU from '99-'02. While I never partook, I have first hand knowledge that there is a cocaine problem. Maybe it depends on the circle. My friends and I never engaged, but there were those around me who did. The problem was widespread enough that cops were posing undercover and busting circles back in '03. This is a fact. I don't say this AT ALL to be sensationalistic- but this has affected me in a very personal way, and it did and probably still does in fact happen among the student body. Trust me, there are rings, and even the 'good' kids from Indiana/Indianapolis can get involved.

Now MAYBE many of these wealthy kids from the East Coast are doing this sort of thing but I remain skeptical. I think because these kids tend to be wealthier and aren't from around here the rumor-mill tends to generate these kind of wild stories about those "crazy" East-Coast kids...And let's not forget that alcohol kills FAR more people than cocaine. I would imagine alcohol poisoning could kill a person with a heart condition just as well as cocaine could.

I agree, that's pretty much the same experience I had at IU during the same time frame. Maybe things have drastically changed and there is a lot heavier drug-use, but I'm still not believing the OD cover-up theory. If it was an OD situation seems like it would've been much easier to hide the drugs than hide a body. Flush "whatever" down the toilet and call 911. She was several different places that night police would have a hard time pinpointing who was responsible for the drugs/alcohol (other than Kilroys for the alcohol) if OD was the case.

I respectfully disagree. I attended IU from '99-'02. While I never partook, I have first hand knowledge that there is a cocaine problem. Maybe it depends on the circle. My friends and I never engaged, but there were those around me who did. The problem was widespread enough that cops were posing undercover and busting circles back in '03. This is a fact. I don't say this AT ALL to be sensationalistic- but this has affected me in a very personal way, and it did and probably still does in fact happen among the student body. Trust me, there are rings, and even the 'good' kids from Indiana/Indianapolis can get involved.

I believe that that was your experience. Perhaps it was the circle you ran in. And I knew a few people who did cocaine. My point is simply that it was a small percentage of people who were doing it. Most people drank, smoked pot, and maybe engaged in other psychedelics. But the idea that it was as easy to get as say pot or even LSD I think was just not the case. I never went to a party and saw someone doing a line of coke. And I went to my fair share of parties. However I saw people smoking pot at virtually EVERY party I went to.

The reason you guys had that experience is that harder drugs are usually only mentioned between people doing them. Coke isnt thrown on the coffee table at a frat party. A few people are sneaking off and doing it throughout the night. Same thing at bars. Someone goes into the bathroom and works arent spoken of it. In some circles it is prevelant and in some it doesnt exist. IU is a big school so it is likely that even someone who went there wouldnt be able to describe the experience each student is having.

In the press conference this morning Qualters acknowledged that they had received information along the lines of a cocaine overdose. He emphasized that this was just one of many possibilities and that they were keeping an open mind and pursuing all avenues.
http://www.lohud.com/article/201106...udent-OD-d?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage

Cocaine is particularly damaging to the heart and the combination of alcohol and cocaine use is also a possibility.

I can't weigh in on the specifics of IU, but at both my undergrad school (Canada) and graduate school (UK) the drugs of choice were pot/hash, X and coke in that order, depending on which scene you were into and how much cash you had. Coke had by far the most perceived "prestige" and pulling power: it cost; it was part of a public mythology linked to sex, fashion and sophistication; and it was social.

Years later, I worked in a VERY high end London club for A-list actors, models, etc., and we had a full-time staff member whose job was to keep the regulars well supplied. A very weird scene, but these folks had EVERYTHING potentially to lose -- it made no difference.

This is a group of college students who intersect in all sorts of ways: relationships, socioeconomic backgrounds and so on. I think the three main possibilities broached here are the most plausible: 1) things got out of hand, accidental death, someone draws the short straw and must transport a body; 2) boyfriend angry and (again) things get out of hand and he transports a body; 3) the least likely in my view: a stranger seizes a gift of an opportunity.

The problem with (3) is that I can't see where LS would ever be alone on her way home. Too many people in her group seem to have been up, about and interested. Unless things cooled down and she got lost in the shuffle, wandered out and vaguely towards home and was taken.

I think that finding LS will prove to be the game-changer.

best,

s

Cocaine problems across America are definitely not being made up or sensationalized. There really has been a drastic increase in cocaine use especially amongst the middle to upper class section of college students. That doesn't mean anyone is claiming "everyone does coke"-it just means that knowing the facts behind the cocaine epidemic in America it isn't really reaching that far to say that cocaine may have been a factor during that day.

You can put "rise in cocaine use" in google and find literally hundreds of articles and studies detailing how street prices have dropped in the past few years, college kids are being targeted more than ever by drug rings, and that the use of cocaine has exploded especially due to these reasons. It is a sad truth that helps ruin lives every day.

Now, is it relevant in this case? Maybe not, but if it will help find Lauren I think every stone needs to be turned and every avenue considered.

I do think people should look at the "cocaine" assumption.

However, news articles are claiming that the Sheriff is considering an Overdose. That is not true at all. He just said he is open to EVERY possibility when asked about drug rumors. Two different things.

However, news articles are claiming that the Sheriff is considering an Overdose. That is not true at all. He just said he is open to EVERY possibility when asked about drug rumors. Two different things.

Where do you see a news organization reporting LE is "considering" an overdose?

Current IU student here. Anyone who is saying that coke is out of the question is SO mistaken. It's huge here. I've had first-hand expierience with it IN SMALLWOOD. It's especially popular among the east coast population. Also, just pointing this out...LS is supposed to intern for Anthropologie in NYC later this summer. Coke is huge among members of the fashion industry. More clues point to use of it than not. With my knowledge of the IU party scene, especially the downtown party scene, I think there's a 90% chance that coke or some other prescription drug was part of the night.

Today is the first time the public has heard any acknowledgement by LE about drug issues, if any.

However disturbing it is, as of today we know 3 things regarding the issues of possible drug use. In answering a question which was posed as "rumor" of an OD, followed by panic... The Captain responds as follows:

1. [Captain] "Have we heard information along those lines? Absolutely."

2. The Captain said detectives have not ruled that, or any other possibility, out in their investigation.

3. The Captain stated it is crucial to remain open-minded.

http://www.lohud.com/article/201106...r-Cops-acknowledge-rumor-missing-student-OD-d

Agreed, curiousgirl. I think sometimes cases can be muddled by focusing too much on one possibility to the point of closing off others. I hope the Sheriff and police office are considering everything, at least right now.

Of course, what I really hope is that the police know more than we do and are in the process of both bringing her home and tightening the chains around whomever may have hurt her.

Wonder whether LS's roommate called/texted JW to check on where Lauren was before she left for class that morning. If not, why not? Wonder whether the roommate called/texted JR before she left for class to check on where LS was before she left for class. If not, why not? Perhaps, JR called/texted her.

If LE and FBI have begun working on the cell phone calls and text messages, as well as locations, bet it will yield fruitful information.

Is it possible that JR is the drug supplier in this equation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donna_Avery