GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't read any of that into what he's saying.

I hear him saying, "Yes, I will be able to tell you whether we found SM's DNA on the body or in the apartment - yes or no - just as soon as all of the results are back".

That's all I see in that exchange.

I don't read any of that into what he's saying.

I hear him saying, "Yes, I will be able to tell you whether we found SM's DNA on the body or in the apartment - yes or no - just as soon as all of the results are back".

That's all I see in that exchange.

That's the way I understood it too.

Bird that swallowed the canary, maybe, but he states an unequivocal "yes". And no, I don't think he simply refers to the incidental presence of McD's DNA in LG's apartment.

I could interpret that smile in three different ways. JMO

1. SM's DNA is all over the body and I am confident we will have more
than enough evidence to convict.

2. SM's DNA was in her apartment and I am confident that when all the
results are back we will have positive results on her body as well.

3. That's a really stupid question. Of course I'll be able to tell you whether
SM's DNA was on her body when the results come back.

Sorry but I have to say...for a murder and a dismemberment of victim..............if it takes a month of testing and 200 pieces of evidence. Come on. Given the timeline ........and where McD was in the interim.....attending those test prep classes. I don't know. How in the hell do you hide so much evidence that it takes the FBI crime lab a month to establish evidence that he did it. Is McD that good in covering up?? I am being skeptical. Not defending him. Just can't square it all. Forensic science...........it takes that long and that much. I mean, they, LE, checked plumbing, probably ran the luminol tests...
This is so scary to me. From both sides.

I am still at a loss as to why anyone would find it odd that the FBI lab is taking it's time on these tests and advising the MPD to zip it and be patient in light of the Casey Anthony verdict.
Do not underestimate the impact that acquittal had on the forensic science community, good Lord, it was a game changer.
The way this case is being handled is a perfect example.

It is rare for the FBI lab to have a speedy turn around time...or any lab for that matter. I know of a case in SC where they have been waiting since March for results on a murder victim. Usually they do put high profile cases ahead but they have a lot of those right now.

It is rare for the FBI lab to have a speedy turn around time...or any lab for that matter. I know of a case in SC where they have been waiting since March for results on a murder victim. Usually they do put high profile cases ahead but they have a lot of those right now.

There's a lady in NC that was murdered and dismembered. She went missing July 25th and they already have two people charged. If the evidence is there, it's there. I would think that if LG was dismembered in those apartments there would be plenty of evidence at this point regardless of the FBI's final results. Maybe LE already has enough evidence and are just taking their time because SM is in jail.

I agree that he did have a self satisfied smirk on his face at the end, which seems in contrast to the frustrated body language in the presser. I also think Burns really thinks SM killed her so maybe his frustration is just that he can't make an arrest until all the forensics are in writing. Personally I just have a hard time imagining SM being that aggressive. I hope that if SM is charged LE has indisputable forensic evidence to prove it.

See, this is why I mentioned Drew Planten.
I had a very hard time imagining the same thing about a guy who people said looked terrified and physically stressed when someone even tried to engage him in normal conversation. He would never even make eye contact with people outside his family and a few coworkers. He was so fragile and unbalanced he wouldn't even stand up in custody, or open his eyes. He just collapsed. He was bright and solitary, he was a zoologist, young, looked like he belonged in some kind of alternative band. But he turned out to be a serial murderer and sexual sadist.

It's not only hard for me to imagine McDaniel being a killer, it's sad, painful, I don't like it at all. But it just doesn't mean anything :/

I agree though about the self-satisfied look contrasted with the frustrated body language, and I think you're right about why.

Attachments

• planten.jpg
    planten.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 32
I think people are underestimating McDaniel's intelligence.
I think he got sloppy when he panicked, but I think if he did this, knowing certain things about his personality from what I've heard from locals, he probably had all kinds of neat little tricks he researched to help get away with this kind of thing.
He was also a law school grad who had a very minimal social life.
He was into survivalism, which tends to go hand in hand with a meticulous researching of information that isn't practical everyday kind of stuff. My guess is he would be able to pull off a pretty clean crime if he put his mind to it, and a few prep classes wouldn't have precluded that.
I think if he did it, he could give the FBI lab a run for their money. I'm sure they'll find/have found some evidence, but I think if McD is the perp, he may have approached the dismemberment intelligently but I think he also suffered a period of decompensation as the stress built which lead him to make sloppy mistakes.
It's one thing to figure out how to dismember a body effectively without making a mess, but all the incidental things that come up after the crime aren't as easy to manage especially with stress and paranoia compounding. jmo.

Good point Angelanalyzes. I go back and forth. I see him as possibly being a sweet nerdo incapable of murder....but on the other hand I could see him being a super smart, argumentative jerk who people avoided because he was difficult to be around. I think he felt a little alone all through highschool and college and then he gets to law school and he thinks "ahhhh....here we are, the gadflies of humanity, together. I am going to send a thought provoking email to the entire student body and get a discussion started." Then he gets his replies back and they are just more of the same critiques that he got from highschool and college.

BTW, where did he go to college. I thought I read Miss State. I could be making that up.

Oh so my point is that he is supersmart and his getting away with murder would be like a big F-U to the people who were making fun of him.

Good point Angelanalyzes. I go back and forth. I see him as possibly being a sweet nerdo incapable of murder....but on the other hand I could see him being a super smart, argumentative jerk who people avoided because he was difficult to be around. I think he felt a little alone all through highschool and college and then he gets to law school and he thinks "ahhhh....here we are, the gadflies of humanity, together. I am going to send a thought provoking email to the entire student body and get a discussion started." Then he gets his replies back and they are just more of the same critiques that he got from highschool and college.

BTW, where did he go to college. I thought I read Miss State. I could be making that up.

I feel that way too.
Despite the fact that him being exonerated would mean by pet theory would go out the window, I pretty much want to be wrong because I feel affection and sympathy for him. It gets overwhelming for me, the amount of violent killers I have to study who also have sides to them I completely find adorable. It's no wonder the FBI field offices and headquarters have chaplains meant to keep the hearts of their agents fleshy.

so, do you think he did it or not?

http://www.macon.com/2011/07/28/1646328/burns-hunt-for-giddings-killer.html

Very interesting, detailed new article about the murder. Lots of detail given to the immediate time after she was reported missing, as well as the discovery of her remains. Her sister, Kaitlyn, also doesn't seem very impressed with the Fox News program, either.

She thinks even less of us "posters".

“Honestly, it’s been somewhat entertaining to us when we check in. I mean, some things are obviously disturbing,” Wheeler said. “But some of the little theories they come up with have made us have a few laughs. ... Really, I feel sad for the people that are commenting on there because they obviously have nothing better to do with their time. But that’s their problem.”

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2011/07/28/1646328/burns-hunt-for-giddings-killer.html#ixzz1TR6J5A1c

He went to Mercer. (undergrad in Macon before law school)

I think people are underestimating McDaniel's intelligence.
I think he got sloppy when he panicked, but I think if he did this, knowing certain things about his personality from what I've heard from locals, he probably had all kinds of neat little tricks he researched to help get away with this kind of thing.
He was also a law school grad who had a very minimal social life.
He was into survivalism, which tends to go hand in hand with a meticulous researching of information that isn't practical everyday kind of stuff. My guess is he would be able to pull off a pretty clean crime if he put his mind to it, and a few prep classes wouldn't have precluded that.
I think if he did it, he could give the FBI lab a run for their money. I'm sure they'll find/have found some evidence, but I think if McD is the perp, he may have approached the dismemberment intelligently but I think he also suffered a period of decompensation as the stress built which lead him to make sloppy mistakes.
It's one thing to figure out how to dismember a body effectively without making a mess, but all the incidental things that come up after the crime aren't as easy to manage especially with stress and paranoia compounding. jmo.

Thanks for sharing that. I've been trying to understand how someone of SM's intelligence could dispose of a body in the trash at his own apartment. The fact that it was trash day doesn't diminish the stupidity of that. But I still don't get why he would have held on to the body for so long. The smell would have permeated the area the body was in, unless it was in the freezer.

Was the landfill in Twiggs County searched?

I haven't read or seen anything that mentions the Twiggs Co. landfill being searched. Before reading this, I didn't even realize the other trash would've gone there. It's details like this, which are very important, that just lead to more questions/possibilities.

I only remember them closing and searching the landfill in Macon. I wonder why they wouldn't decide to search in Twiggs Co. also? Or perhaps maybe they did and just didn't say, but they were pretty forthcoming about all of the locations they searched, so I can't see them not mentioning it.

She thinks even less of us "posters".

“Honestly, it’s been somewhat entertaining to us when we check in. I mean, some things are obviously disturbing,” Wheeler said. “But some of the little theories they come up with have made us have a few laughs. ... Really, I feel sad for the people that are commenting on there because they obviously have nothing better to do with their time. But that’s their problem.”

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2011/07/28/1646328/burns-hunt-for-giddings-killer.html#ixzz1TR6J5A1c

i understand this is a very hard time for her. but why is she laughing at theories/people who care to know what happened to lauren, who want justice to be served for her. how can she laugh at something like this? i dont know how she can be entertained by that.

if it were my family member this had happened to, i would feel touched that people care.

i just don't understand her attitude. but i guess people grieve in different ways???

i understand this is a very hard time for her. but why is she laughing at theories/people who care to know what happened to lauren, who want justice to be served for her. how can she laugh at something like this? i dont know how she can be entertained by that.

if it were my family member this had happened to, i would feel touched that people care.

i just don't understand her attitude. but i guess people grieve in different ways???

Not sure, but I think she MAY be referring to the "comments" sections of some of the local news link pages more than to this site or others along the same lines as this one -- although we may be good for a laugh now and then too! The comments on the news sites run the gamut from intelligent to stupid to downright disgusting.

edited to add: See? from http://www.macon.com/2011/07/28/1646...#ixzz1TR6J5A1c
Wheeler, Gidding’s sister, said her family sometimes reads news website comment pages where some of the rumors about the case may germinate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member