TN - Gail Nowacki Palmgren, 44, Signal Mountain, 30 April 2011 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
The theory that she may have dropped her phone is possible, it would also explain the slow speed and lack of seat belt, as the poster suggested. I know I have released my seatbelt to reach around for things while driving (not a good idea.) And if she had taken her eyes off the road for just a moment, it could have been the crucial moment.

I do believe it was an accident; if not a phone, perhaps another car caused it and kept going, annoyed by her slow driving. Surely if she was being chased or followed, or thought she was, she would be driving faster? And again, how anyone could have hit her car and not tumbled over the edge too, is beyond me.

While all very convenient for her husband, I really don't think he caused or planned this. I think if anything he would have pursued a divorce, using her "mental health" issues as his basis for custody. And now he doesn't have to worry about it.

JMO

The theory that she may have dropped her phone is possible, it would also explain the slow speed and lack of seat belt, as the poster suggested. I know I have released my seatbelt to reach around for things while driving (not a good idea.) And if she had taken her eyes off the road for just a moment, it could have been the crucial moment.

I do believe it was an accident; if not a phone, perhaps another car caused it and kept going, annoyed by her slow driving. Surely if she was being chased or followed, or thought she was, she would be driving faster? And again, how anyone could have hit her car and not tumbled over the edge too, is beyond me.

While all very convenient for her husband, I really don't think he caused or planned this. I think if anything he would have pursued a divorce, using her "mental health" issues as his basis for custody. And now he doesn't have to worry about it.

JMO

BBM..We'll just have to respectfully agree to disagree... And I personally don't believe he had a snowballs chance in you know where to ever get custody of the chidren with the information Gail had gathered..And he knew it...JMHO
Also, LE and Gail's family of origin denied his claim Gail was mentally ill as did friends of hers....JMHO

BBM..We'll just have to respectfully agree to disagree... And I personally don't believe he had a snowballs chance in you know where to ever get custody of the chidren with the information Gail had gathered..And he knew it...JMHO
Also, LE and Gail's family of origin denied his claim Gail was mentally ill as did friends of hers....JMHO

I'm not saying it would have worked...or that she indeed had any mental health issues, but that I believe he would have attempted to make her appear too unstable to have the children. That is all I was saying.

This has been driving me batty. Maybe she didn't know the W Rd was closed...or could her PI have been from Walden or lived in the area of E Brow Rd? Could her new address have been a PO Box in Walden....if they have a PO?

BBM...Thats a good possibility since she left for the lake house on the 29th.. It's possible she heard the road was closed on her car radio though.. Also, IF she attempted to go up the "W" when she returned from Alabama on the morning of the 30th she would have known it was closed...
I've wondered IF MP even asked her to meet him on East Brow so they could talk.. Doubt he would tell us IF he had though...
I really can't think of a reason WHY she was on East Brow, unless she wasn't aware of the road being closed and was planning to go to MP's mothers apartment on Mountain Creek Road...

In regards to her PI, to my knowledge information about him has never been released... I would hope LE spoke to him but who knows...JMHO..

I'm not saying it would have worked...or that she indeed had any mental health issues, but that I believe he would have attempted to make her appear too unstable to have the children. That is all I was saying.

As I see it... He had alot to lose and alot to pay out IF there was a divorce...JMHO.

BBM...Thats a good possibility since she left for the lake house on the 29th.. It's possible she heard the road was closed on her car radio though.. Also, IF she attempted to go up the "W" when she returned from Alabama on the morning of the 30th she would have known it was closed...
I've wondered IF MP even asked her to meet him on East Brow so they could talk.. Doubt he would tell us IF he had though...
I really can't think of a reason WHY she was on East Brow, unless she wasn't aware of the road being closed and was planning to go to MP's mothers apartment on Mountain Creek Road...

In regards to her PI, to my knowledge information about him has never been released... I would hope LE spoke to him but who knows...JMHO..

BBM

I have wondered that as well (the bolded part).

It was stated by MP, IIRC, in his Channel 9 interview that he had followed Gail in his vehicle, beeping his horn at her, shortly before the day she disappeared!

IMHO, MP can be a loose cannon, in all probability, especially when he has been drinking; therefore, I wouldn't put anything past him when he isn't getting his own way.

In light of MP's interview, I think this past article is a good review for balance. Dated back to June 9. Things started downhill once Gail's Novartis job was gone. http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_203035.asp

It was stated in one of the early Gail Palmgren threads that, after having lost the Novartis job, Gail was offered a new job that sounded as though it paid well, but MP wanted her to stay home, instead, fwiw.

I was reading the report last night, and I don't understand the fact that her car was in Drive, Neutral, then Park. But I thought they said the Jeep was moving at 24 mph? Does anyone understand this? How can the car be moving but be in park unless it is stopped?

Page 41:

The gearshift positlon was recorded as "Drive" until 0.3 seconds
before the MRE, then a "Neutral" position was recorded at 0.2 before
the MRE when a "park" position was noted at 0.1 before the MRE.

Also, here is the Cell Tower information everyone wanted to see, which LE probably should have released months ago, as they do in other investigations.

Page 21

Mr. Melson found that the ce1l phone data indicates the following
locations of the phone on Saturday, 04-30-11:
Mr. Mike Me1son, of Trinity Search and Recovery23, perforrned a study of
the locatj_ons of a phone belonging t.o Driver # 1. The phone number of
this phone was (*advertiser censored*) *advertiser censored*-XXXX

Mr. Melson used cell tower/phone data to map probable locations of the
phone2a.

This phone was recovered near the final- resL location of Vehicle # 1
and it belonged t.o Driver # L.

Mr. Melson found that the ce1l phone data indicates the following
locations of the phone on Saturday, 04-30-11:

1202 Hours: At or near 40 Ridgerock Drive, Signal Mountain, TN

1215 Hours: Near the vicinity of Taft Highway and Ault Road/Hampton Road, Signal Mountain, TN

1226 Hours: Either on Hampton Road; Near Hampton and East Brow Road intersection; or on the East Brow Road in the vicinity of Hampton Road, definitely still on top of the bluffs near Signal Mountain, TN

1238 Hours: Below the edge of the Cliff and pinging the Tower below near Signal Mountain, TN

Then why on earth didn't LE, etc scour that area 5/2 (date of missing person's report) (or as soon afterward as LE had the ping info deciphered)forward?? E Brow was actually mentioned in the report....say what?! :waitasec:

Still... so so many questions...

BBM..I'm not quite understanding the data recorder being erased.. Who erased it or is that a stooopid question on my part?
Also.. IF a tire was blown out due to someone shooting at it wouldn't there be evidence of this having occurred? Same applies to Gail possibly being shot...JMHO

I'm not an expert when it comes to the type of questions you asked, but I think that given the amount of time that Gail's remains were exposed to the elements; perhaps, it would be possible to miss the detection of a bullet strike. Also, the tires conceivably could have deflated somewhat or alot during the crash down the cliff and the length of time out in the elements to obliterate signs of a puncture from a bullet or otherwise...All, JMO.

BBM

I have wondered that as well (the bolded part).

It was stated by MP, IIRC, in his Channel 9 interview that he had followed Gail in his vehicle, beeping his horn at her, shortly before the day she disappeared!

IMHO, MP can be a loose cannon, in all probability, especially when he has been drinking; therefore, I wouldn't put anything past him when he isn't getting his own way.

My God, I thought the same thing! If he chased her once, why wouldn't he do it again? Seems like a pattern of behavior to me.

Additional minor factor that is odd- seat belt retracted- I am assuming that means 'off'. And I believe was stated the reason she was ejected from the vehicle. If you do not wear your seatbelt when driving that ANNOYING beep is continuously sounding. Most non seatbelt wearing folk leave the seatbelt buckled but behind them against the seat. So why was it off? How soon after she was on the phone did the crash occur? Do they know if she was on the phone and driving or stopped? If she was driving wouldn't the person on the phone have heard the beeping?
OR
Could she have possibly unbuckled her seatbelt in an attempt to escape the vehicle before it went over the cliff? And would the data recorder be able to tell when the seatbelt was unbuckled?
Minor detail, but might help us in trying to understand better.

Respectfully, I don't consider that a minor factor at all...quite the opposite, since, IIRC, it was stated by Gail's friends that she "religiously" wore her seat belt. (Sorry don't have specific quotes.)

I was wondering the same thing about if it was possible that Gail herself released the seat belt, initially I was thinking after the Jeep came to rest off the cliff; however, with the investigation results, it appears the investigators believe she was incapacitated rather quickly.

My God, I thought the same thing! If he chased her once, why wouldn't he do it again? Seems like a pattern of behavior to me.

But...To hear him tell it... He had innocently just returned home from the conference, didn't have a clue as to WHY she changed the alarm codes and he was just beeping his horn, trying to get her attention so he could say...."Hey, I'm Home"..JMHO

John Madewell should have said...Excuse me, but you never attended any conference so WHY do you expect anyone to believe the rest of your story...JMHO

This is the information from the report about the tires ...

Page 27 of 50

A detailed examination of Vehicle #1 found that it had the proper tire sizes on all four tires and the spare tire.

The tires were BE Goodrich Mud-Terrain T/A tires 32. [Footnote #32 = Internet specs used as source]

The left front tire had 14/32nds of an inch of tread measured at the centermost tread. The right front tire had 14/32nds of an inch of tread measured at the centermost tread.

The left rear tire had 14/32nds of an inch of tread measured at the centermost tread. The right rear tire had 13/32nds of an inch of tread measured at the centermost tread.

There was no evidence of pre-impact damage to any tire or wheel.

The rear tires were found locked due to impact damage, upon arrival of HCSO personnel at the location of final rest of Vehicle #1.

According to the EDR report, there was no evidence of a tire blow out, or compromise, as evidenced by the fact that no tire pressure monitor faults were noted prior to Vehicle # 1's impact with the rock.

There was no evidence to suggest any pre-crash damage to any tire.

The right front, left rear and right rear tires all showed 39 pounds per square inch (psi) tire pressure through the recorded EDR crash data.

The left rear tire had no recorded inputs that were recorded by the EDR.

Snipped from transcript...

JM: What about the 30th?

MP: On the 30th, I came home from the conference. I came home on the 30th. Uh . . . The alarms were changed. All the different codes were changed. I didn’t know what was going on. Didn’t know where my kids were. (smiling now) She said we/I (?) had taken off with the kids before without telling me. So I didn’t know what was going on. Had no idea. Uh . . . I guess, you know, she drove by the house. . . and I didn’t know where she was going but I was trying to call her numerous times. Alarms were going off in the house, as you might imagine.

-----------------------------------------------

How can he sit there and say he came home from the conference when he never attended the conference.. Also, IIRC the day he arrived back home early was on the 29th, not the 30th..JMHO

Exactly. The guy is in so much denial...or he's a big, fat liar.

Does he not realize that everyone knows he never went to the conference??

I find it strange that MP in his last interview wanted us to believe that he thought Gail was off somewhere with a friend for 8 months with no word from her, when he stated in his first interview after she went missing the following:

“We’re very upset,” Matt Palmgren said. “She’s had psychiatric issues in the past. ... Usually she just goes somewhere and decompresses but stays in contact with the kids

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/may/07/police-searching-missing-signal-woman/?local

Here he doesn’t seem to answer the question re when he started being concerned, now if there was a pattern as he claims surely if she didn’t answer the kids at all Saturday or Sunday wouldn’t he be concerned.

MP: She left the kids. She said she was going out to make some phone calls, uh, to her cousin, Sherry. That’s what the kids told me. That’s when we sat there and called her to find out where she was and what she was planning on. And she’s taken off to the lake house before from Louisville when we lived there, as well as when we lived in Birmingham. Just kind of went there for her peace of mind. So we kind of thought that’s where she went. So we spent the day together after that.

JM: When you didn’t see her on that Saturday, how much time passed before you started becoming concerned or when did you . . .

MP: The kids and I texted her, said . . . you know, there’s been patterns of this before. Said ‘we hope you’re okay’ . . . everything else . . . uh, find out what you’re thinkin’. Uh, she said she was going to spend the weekend down there and the kids were mine for the weekend. We were going to do baseball games, bike riding and everything else.

I also don’t get how she told him she was going to the lake-house when she was at the bottom of a cliff not far from home or is it just the way I am reading this when he is stating they were texting and asking her if she was ok etc after she left and that seems to be when she said she was going down there for the weekend!!!!

This is another thing I don’t get, MP is more than happy to not find out what made Gail’s jeep go over the edge of the mountain and yet even he stated she had fears of being followed, now I don’t know about anyone else but if she had been stating those fears and there seems a big question mark over how she lost control I would be asking for anybody who might know more to come forward. Not bashing those who are asking hey wait a minute something seems wrong here.

Mathew Palmgren alleges his wife became paranoid recently and would write down license plate numbers to try to identify drivers because she believed people were following her, according to court records.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/may/07/police-searching-missing-signal-woman/?local

Ok one last thing I don’t get, the phone ping on the Monday. The report said the last activity was just after she went over the cliff, but right from the start there was talk of a phone ping near Walmart. Ok so now I really don’t understand phone pings.

Believe I had to use your post re the ping as it was the only comment I could find verifying it at the time (I had to copy and paste as I didn’t know how to do it any other way)

05-10-2011, 03:37 PM
believe09
Moderator Join Date: Sep 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3223
I saw that JBean posted the phone ping but where did that info come from? There was no link to a reference.
I gave her the info JD-you will just have to take my word for it I am afraid. You are free to question the validity of it for sure, but it is in fact true and it would be a good way of drawing anyone who might have seen her or her phone.

I understand with the data the LEO had to work with the only answer they can give is accident, but so much still doesn’t make sense and I get the feeling we will never know why it happened. Like most people I was hoping for a straight clear cut this is how it happened report that would remove all doubt in my mind that Gail wasn’t forced off the mountain….some bits make sense but other bits just don’t.

I know one thing for sure I will never understand MP's words or behaviour through all of this especially the fact that even after the accident report he couldn’t speak with out his attorney, that just seemed strange to me. What did his attorney think he could say wrong at this stage….well that’s me done rambling and as always this post is just some thoughts that were running around in my head.

I find it strange that MP in his last interview wanted us to believe that he thought Gail was off somewhere with a friend for 8 months with no word from her, when he stated in his first interview after she went missing the following:

“We’re very upset,” Matt Palmgren said. “She’s had psychiatric issues in the past. ... Usually she just goes somewhere and decompresses but stays in contact with the kids.”

Here he doesn’t seem to answer the question re when he started being concerned, now if there was a pattern as he claims surely if she didn’t answer the kids at all Saturday or Sunday wouldn’t he be concerned.

MP: She left the kids. She said she was going out to make some phone calls, uh, to her cousin, Sherry. That’s what the kids told me. That’s when we sat there and called her to find out where she was and what she was planning on. And she’s taken off to the lake house before from Louisville when we lived there, as well as when we lived in Birmingham. Just kind of went there for her peace of mind. So we kind of thought that’s where she went. So we spent the day together after that.

JM: When you didn’t see her on that Saturday, how much time passed before you started becoming concerned or when did you . . .

MP: The kids and I texted her, said . . . you know, there’s been patterns of this before. Said ‘we hope you’re okay’ . . . everything else . . . uh, find out what you’re thinkin’. Uh, she said she was going to spend the weekend down there and the kids were mine for the weekend. We were going to do baseball games, bike riding and everything else.

I also don’t get how she told him she was going to the lake-house when she was at the bottom of a cliff not far from home or is it just the way I am reading this when he is stating they were texting and asking her if she was ok etc after she left and that seems to be when she said she was going down there for the weekend!!!!

This is another thing I don’t get, MP is more than happy to not find out what made Gail’s jeep go over the edge of the mountain and yet even he stated she had fears of being followed, now I don’t know about anyone else but if she had been stating those fears and there seems a big question mark over how she lost control I would be asking for anybody who might know more to come forward. Not bashing those who are asking hey wait a minute something seems wrong here.

Mathew Palmgren alleges his wife became paranoid recently and would write down license plate numbers to try to identify drivers because she believed people were following her, according to court records.

Ok one last thing I don’t get, the phone ping on the Monday. The report said the last activity was just after she went over the cliff, but right from the start there was talk of a phone ping near Walmart. Ok so now I really don’t understand phone pings.

Believe I had to use your post re the ping as it was the only comment I could find verifying it at the time (I had to copy and paste as I didn’t know how to do it any other way)

believe09

Quote:
I saw that JBean posted the phone ping but where did that info come from? There was no link to a reference.
I gave her the info JD-you will just have to take my word for it I am afraid. You are free to question the validity of it for sure, but it is in fact true and it would be a good way of drawing anyone who might have seen her or her phone.

I understand with the data the LEO had to work with the only answer they can give is accident, but so much still doesn’t make sense and I get the feeling we will never know why it happened. Like most people I was hoping for a straight clear cut this is how it happened report that would remove all doubt in my mind that Gail wasn’t forced off the mountain….some bits make sense but other bits just don’t.

I know one thing for sure I will never understand MP's words or behaviour through all of this especially the fact that even after the accident report he couldn’t speak with out his attorney, that just seemed strange to me. What did his attorney think he could say wrong at this stage….well that’s me done rambling and as always this post is just some thoughts that were running around in my head.

bolded by me.

What he said makes no sense to me either, Annie 61.

Let's see: She had dropped the kids off and left their Signal Mtn house (at noon) before he arrived home around 12:15 on Apr. 30, right? (he had been out shopping with his mother, according to him). The children told him she had gone to call Aunt Sherry. He didn't even start worrying about her being gone until a few days later, so why would they have texted her on that Saturday if there was no concern? He only just got back home around 12:15 ,and the crash occurred between 12:26 and 12:38. I guess what I'm saying is that if there was no sense of urgency until days later, why would he have texted her in those 11-23 minutes, and how could he have received an answer if she were already dead?

“We’re very upset,” Matt Palmgren said. “She’s had psychiatric issues in the past. ... Usually she just goes somewhere and decompresses but stays in contact with the kids.”

believe09

Quote:

Excellent observations Annie_61..

BBM..IMHO..LE here in Hamilton County did have other options other than saying this was just a tragic accident especially when you take into consideration they, themelves, admitted "We couldn't realistically animate this crash, because of the lack of evidence"...

..IMHO. they could have said we think this is/ was a tragic accident but in all reality we just don't know what happened or WHY this poor woman, the mother of two beautiful children is now dead....JMHO

believe09

Quote:

quote]
Annie, I snipped for space but agree with everything you posted. I was just coming on to ask Oriah her thoughts about the Monday phone ping.
Or...anyone else that cares to speculate.

I don't want to comment on MP's interview because of a TO, but it was more of the same result....looks guilty, imo.

On the side, I was re-reading the all the articles after the presser and this set me off.... :furious:

He said there was no letter found to Ms. Durham, who told reporters the couple had been having marital problems and Mr. Palmgren was about to leave his wife.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_216616.asp

Channel 9 couldn't even get the direction she was traveling correct....they reported she was going south!

Now to go back and read the accident report...after finally being able to bring it all up.:great:

bolded by me.

What he said makes no sense to me either, Annie 61.

Let's see: She had dropped the kids off and left their Signal Mtn house before he arrived home around 12:30 on Apr. 30, right? (he had been out shopping with his mother, according to him). The children told him she had gone to call Aunt Sherry. He didn't even start worrying about her being gone until a few days later, so why would they have texted her around 12:30 on that Saturday if there was no concern? He only just got back home around 12:30, right? ..and how could she have texted them back if she was lying at the bottom of the ravine, dead?

The times were changed....she arrived home at noon..not 12:15. He arrived home at 12:15...not 12:25. But, still, I agree.

IMO, he can say ANYTHING he wants now..and he knows it.

Excellent observations Annie_61..

BBM..IMHO..LE here in Hamilton County did have other options other than saying this was just a tragic accident especially when you take into consideration they, themelves, admitted "We couldn't realistically animate this crash, because of the lack of evidence"...

..IMHO. they could have said we think this is/ was a tragic accident but in all reality we just don't know...JMHO

Would it have made a difference on the insurance claim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C7173