Trial Thread, May 1, 2012 Defense begins it case in chief

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess Derstine couldn't make an opening statement, because his 1 day at trial would be:

1. Opening Statement
2. 1 Witness
3. Closing Statement

Not very effective or impactual to reiterate the same thing all in one day. Especially when the Crown took 2 months to present the goods against.

either TLM had balls going INTO the school and being AT the school NOT around the school as implyed. WOW... umm WOW if accurate

not sure TLM is any good with boundaries...MOO

that is the only defense witness???? Sorry, behind here. Not seeing the point or what it changes... MOO

yup according to the announcement this morning

Not sure if they can call anyone later but they said only the only testifying this morning.

Didn't we hear from one of the crowns witnesses that a woman was at the top of the hill from the school watching TLM leave with Tori and that she has never seen this woman there before? Wouldn't she or someone else have seen TLM go into the school since she had a clear view of them walking away, more than this grandma did since the buses were in front of her. Are there cameras at the school doors to prove this theory? You can't just say it is so without proof. I really doubt that TLM IMO went into the school.

at this point I am just surprised he didn't go with a plea deal vs sitting thru three months of testimony.

If that is all the reasonable doubt the defense team has to throw at the wall.. well, I just am not sure anything is sticking (but then again usually to get something to stick you need to throw more than one thing at the wall)

just saying.

bbm

You're absolutely right nurse.
Not making a plea deal was aother big mistake Derstine made

guess Derstine will be running something by Heeney...right through lunch

jmo

Victoria's teacher testified that she left the school...out the doors and outside...alone.

The grandmother saw a woman in a white coat (with no distinctive stripes) enter the school. She did not see her leave. There is no proof that she saw TLM enter the school. Random witness testimony is notoriously inaccurate.

So wherever Victoria met up with TLM, it was outside.

No proof that TLM lied about anything.

MOO

She also testified that she saw the exact woman walking up the street with Tori, beause the coat was identical. Sounds to me like she was rather accurate in her description that in fact it was the same woman who entered the school and was walking up the street with Tori moments later, in a hurry to get somewhere with a stern look on her face, while Tori was happy skipping along right beside her. Based on that alone, TLM targetted Tori and it wasn't random as she stated on the witness stand - JMO

Something just isnt right here. Maybe Derstine has a plan of some sort? Why call a recess, why does he have to reexamination of his own witness? Did the crown do something wrong? Was it the question, was TLM holding something in her hands? Would he have a problem with this question??

Poor old lady. Gawd. The lives that these people ruined makes me sick.. No one should have to be brought into this crap. I feel bad for each and every one of them.

And if that is all the defence has I am shocked, it makes no sense and Rafferty should have taken the stand but I know why he didnt, because he is GUILTY!!!

BBM: Couldn't agree more.

I guess Derstine was sitting back having a cold one this past weekend while all those expert lawyers were giving options in various media speculating the different angles the defense could use. No opening statement & witness was probably prepped in an hour. JMO

LindaNguyenPN The #Rafferty trial is now arguing a few legal issues without the presence of the jury #toristafford...update from twitter

...be back soon errands to do......Imo ..this will take a while ...see ya later robynhood..

Didn't we hear from one of the crowns witnesses that a woman was at the top of the hill from the school watching TLM leave with Tori and that she has never seen this woman there before? Wouldn't she or someone else have seen TLM go into the school since she had a clear view of them walking away, more than this grandma did since the buses were in front of her. Are there cameras at the school doors to prove this theory? You can't just say it is so without proof. I really doubt that TLM IMO went into the school.

Oldsoul2.... this sounds very familiar to me too. Uhmmm.. The woman on the hill...... where is she?

that is the only defense witness???? Sorry, behind here. Not seeing the point or what it changes... MOO

An attempt to show since TLM was brazen enough to enter the school MTR had no other reason to believe this was just a babysitting stint.

Something just isnt right here. Maybe Derstine has a plan of some sort? Why call a recess, why does he have to reexamination of his own witness? Did the crown do something wrong? Was it the question, was TLM holding something in her hands? Would he have a problem with this question??

BBM: Maybe. We'll find out soon enough. Not sure Judge Heeney will be up for any trickery, though.

if the crown brought up something that he wants to re-examine he gets another go... the Crown can also re-cross and re-re-cross...

I am trying to figure out what he is going to re-examine.. most likely the pants color, etc that the Crown got her on (she changed her witness statement)

moo

BBM: Maybe. We'll find out soon enough. Not sure Judge Heeney will be up for any trickery, though.

I hope he doesnt. I want this to be over already. Justice to be done for that poor little angel that died at the hands of two sick twisted people.

RaffertyLFP: Jury being brought back.

Jurors returning now.

Were staff members walking with VS down the sidewalk........in an identical coat?

What I am wondering about now is the VS teacher's testimony.

If she saw VS going out and then back to the classroom for her earrings, and then out again...............why didn't she see TLM?

There is no reason to disbelieve this witness. She has no credibility issues and no reason to hide anything or lie.

She was at the school often picking up her own grand kids.

Posters are making derogatory remarks about her......and don't even know anything about her........including her age.

If she says she saw TLM walking in the front door of the school...........TLM walked in the front door of the school.........IMO.

Believe the witness or TLM?...........................JMO.

It seems the implication here is that Tori's teacher lied? Why would she do that? And it was obvious that the witness did see TLM but was confused about some of the details and her testimoney today was inconsistent with the report given to LE 3 years ago.

I'm going with the teacher's testimony, myself. I have no idea what the jurors will do, but I do think they will be cognizant of the witness' inconsistencies.

Just sayin'

Salem

An attempt to show since TLM was brazen enough to enter the school MTR had no other reason to believe this was just a babysitting stint.

But if TLM told MR she was babysitting and was going "into" the school to get TS, why would MR park so far away from the school? If I was driving someone to pick up a child they were "babysitting" i would park right up front, or where all the other pick ups were waiting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UCG