17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is probably true for Florida as well because all of the states bill the govt. for educational funds of some kind,and the average daily attendance is the equation that they use.

And yes, I can only look at his situation at a distance, obviously. But having three suspensions could affect college admission unless he immediately got back on track. And his GPA would absolutely be affected as well.

It's true in my state. Butts in seats = $$. Hence the "crackdown on truancy."

On 04/08/12, the Miami Herald reported the Twitter account did belong to TM. The article only vaguely references FB.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/...ayvon-martins-social-media.html#storylink=cpy

That's the only social media account I'm aware has been verified at this time. So here's the deal. We can reference Twitter in the context in which it is reported in MSM. Other SM pages might be added later if they are verified. Posts must tie into MSM articles, and be sure to include a link. Post without links WILL BE removed.

Keep in mind TM was a minor, and normally we do not link to minors' SM pages. So tread very carefully with this topic.

BBM. Verified how? If I may ask.

IIRC GZ's old myspace account was reported in the MSM, yet was offlimits for discussion here until his own lawyer verified that it was his.

So who has verified that the Twitter account was indeed TM's, using the same standard held to GZ's--in other words, not simply a media source claiming so?

Thank you and I see now that my initial question was unclear. I understand how you might, with your experience, classify him as an at-risk kid. But that is from a distance, without any information about him except what's been reported in the media, right? And again he must not have been falling too much behind if my memory serves me correctly and he was an A and B student?

I meant with my question, where has it been officially reported that any professionals who dealt with him personally considered him at-risk?

With regard to the next paragraph, very interesting information. Is this true in Florida as well?

Looks like someone just posted an article saying he was an average student, so I guess he was more like a C student. That would make his suspensions even more dangerous to his success as a student.

Then shouldn't people also have to wait for the trial and evidence before they proclaim Trayvon to be a low life that was looking for trouble?

I guess if we all have to wait for the trial and evidence to express our opinions then none of us on either side has anything to discuss here.

BEM: No one has ever called Trayvon a "low life " on this forum. All anyone has done is talk about what has been said in the media and by SPD and GZ. People have outright called GZ a racist, stalking, cold blooded murderer. A probable cause affidavit is not proof of anything, it's the prosecution giving their side of the case, poorly written as it was.
JMO

<insert Duke University Lacrosse Team>

I don't see the analogy. The Duke University Lacrosse Team was accused of something they didn't do, I am well aware.

However I don't recall where any of their past offenses were brought up as evidence against them?

Were they? If so what offenses?

I didn't follow that case that closely.

Looks like someone just posted an article saying he was an average student, so I guess he was more like a C student. That would make his suspensions even more dangerous to his success as a student.

There was no mention of his grades so I choose not to assume the worst. I was an average student, As, Bs and a couple Cs through HS. Average may mean any number of things so until I see his report card, I can't agree.

His parents have said he was an A/B student. In the article mentioned, it stated he was an "average" student, not in a GPA kind of way. Let's not start rumors that he was a C student.

ETA: If my kid had a "C" average, I would not consider that average.

BBM. Verified how? If I may ask.

IIRC GZ's old myspace account was reported in the MSM, yet was offlimits for discussion here until his own lawyer verified that it was his.

So who has verified that the Twitter account was indeed TM's, using the same standard held to GZ's--in other words, not simply a media source claiming so?

The first myspace account was brought here from a daily caller article and was discussed at length. I don't recall an attorney or GZ ever verifying it was his account at the time - but it was pretty obvious it was. Like TM's tweets, even Crump didn't deny they belong to TM when he was talking about the social media accounts today.

Why is there such resistance to allowing them in, if I may ask?

His parents have said he was an A/B student. In the article mentioned, it stated he was an "average" student, not in a GPA kind of way. Let's not start rumors that he was a C student.

Do you know where his parents said that? Sincere question. I've not seen it.

Again, I don't think it matters at all. If C students deserve to be killed, mine had better step up their game signficantly. Just curious.

C= Average. That is the definition of a C.

An A and B student is not an 'AVERAGE' student. That a an above average student. That is a good student. If he got all A's and B's , I highly doubt his parents would describe him as an average student. JMO

They both said he was an average student in that article.

ETA: If my kid had a "C" average, I would not consider that average.

His father said he was an honor roll student in the beginning, apparently that was incorrect. They both agreed on average.

A - Excellent
B - Good
C - Average
D - Poor
F - Failing

Unless things have changed, that is what I saw on my daughter's report cards for 12 years.

I don't see the analogy. The Duke University Lacrosse Team was accused of something they didn't do, I am well aware.

However I don't recall where any of their past offenses were brought up as evidence against them?

Were they? If so what offenses?

I didn't follow that case that closely.

I didn't follow that case closely, either. But iirc, much was made about privilege, lacrosse players' reputation for being aggressive and such, in general and also about how this group, in particular, was all of the above and also received special treatment at Duke in the "blind-eye" sense. Take it fwiw, though. I don't recall the specifics. Those thoughts just stuck with me because I attended a big lacrosse HS, so was interested in that perspective.

Do you know where his parents said that? Sincere question. I've not seen it.

Again, I don't think it matters at all. If C students deserve to be killed, mine had better step up their game signficantly. Just curious.

I remember them or someone else saying it on their behalf. I suck at finding links, don't save them. :blushing: For now, it's JMO. Someone will probably have it posted before I hit "submit reply". :floorlaugh:

My kid was an "average" student. Got A/B's and a C once in a while. C averages do not get you into college.

Not that any of this matters, in the same article, it says that Trayvon was a very shy and kind. Those things seem to go unnoticed. You are right, nobody deserves to be killed.

Why is there such resistance to allowing them in, if I may ask?

[respectfully snipped]

IMO, it is a case of what's good for the goose is good for the gander. If GZ's SM accounts had to go through intense scrutiny and verification before being allowed for discussion here, then TM's should have to go through the same verification process.

Second, since GZ is the accused and TM is the victim here, I'm not sure that any of TM's SM accounts should be allowed at all--hence my rape victim analogy.

But if they are allowed, they should be subjected to the same verification process GZ's were, no more no less.

His father said he was an honor roll student in the beginning, apparently that was incorrect. They both agreed on average.

A - Excellent
B - Good
C - Average
D - Poor
F - Failing

Unless things have changed, that is what I saw on my daughter's report cards for 12 years.
<modsnip>

"Average" to you and others may be different. Average to me is not a C student. I believe the article referenced that he was an average student, not an A/B student. Average = normal student!

<modsnip> JMO

I didn't follow that case closely, either. But iirc, much was made about privilege, lacrosse players' reputation for being aggressive and such, in general and also about how this group, in particular, was all of the above and also received special treatment at Duke in the "blind-eye" sense. Take it fwiw, though. I don't recall the specifics. Those thoughts just stuck with me because I attended a big lacrosse HS, so was interested in that perspective.

THe woman who accused them of rape made a lot of stunning accusations at the start. And EVERYONE believed everything she said, no questions asked.

And people were very angry at the Duke students and immediately assumed they were racist and abusive rapists. But eventually it was discovered that the stripper actually had mental health issues and had made similar false accusations over the years. IIRC

I'm just curious why there's now a debate over whether Trayvon was an A/B student or an average student? Does it in some way further discredit him (or his parents)? Does it have any bearing on this case that I've somehow overlooked?

[respectfully snipped]

IMO, it is a case of what's good for the goose is good for the gander. If GZ's SM accounts had to go through intense scrutiny and verification before being allowed for discussion here, then TM's should have to go through the same verification process.

Second, since GZ is the accused and TM is the victim here, I'm not sure that any of TM's SM accounts should be allowed at all--hence my rape victim analogy.

But if they are allowed, they should be subjected to the same verificatioin process GZ's were, no more no less.

I don't know if this is directed, in part, at my posts, but afaik I've not been talking about twitter. I've been talking about an MSM article from the Miami Herald, iirc, which was linked and snipped several times upthread.

Well, there WAS the TESTIMONY by the investigator (who would have HAD to see the ballistics report and autopsy report) that he had seen NOTHING to contradict GZ's version of the events. Now he is UNDER OATH, and a STATE INVESTIGATOR, and if the ballistics report or autopsy stated evidence that contradicted GZ's version of events, he would be bound to answer differently.

What I find interesting is that those reports HAVEN'T been released yet. They are a matter of public record. The ONLY reason I can see for NOT releasing them is that they DO back up GZ's version, and they are trying to prevent an accusation of a cover up.

O'Mara said HE wants to keep everything from being released to the public, iirc. That speaks volumes, what does George have to hide other than his guilt of murder? O'Mara goes on media tours to deflect bad press but won't release, say, George's medical report if there is one, to refute public criticism? LOL. jmo.

By the way, some of the investigator's responses at the BOND hearing were that "he" didn't know the answer, which doesn't mean the special prosecutor or others investigating didn't know. Just sayin'. ;)

:moo:

It is probably true for Florida as well because all of the states bill the govt. for educational funds of some kind,and the average daily attendance is the equation that they use.

And yes, I can only look at his situation at a distance, obviously. But having three suspensions could affect college admission unless he immediately got back on track. And his GPA would absolutely be affected as well.

I don't mean to put words in your mouth, but again I am confused.

What is your definition of "at risk"? At risk of not gaining college admission?

That's not how I have heard the term defined IIRC. It meant something much more serious than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cynko5538