WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I sent a message off to the Daily Mail website asking them if they would be interested in doing a story about Lyle:

Would you be interested in doing a story about "Lyle Stevik"? He is an unidentified suicide victim who died 11 years ago, and for the past while there has been a following on the internet to identify him.

From 2001 and onwards, there has been little mention of him the mainstream media, whether it be on TV, the newspapers, and online news services. Perhaps you can help by writing a story on him

There is more information about "Lyle Stevik" here: http://doenetwork.org/cases/233umwa.html
Thank you for your time!

Yesterday I sent a message off to the Daily Mail website asking them if they would be interested in doing a story about Lyle:

Hopefully they'll do it!!

Well its still Sept 17th where I am at. Hopefully Lyles case will be solved this year :cheer:

Hopefully they'll do it!!

Well its still Sept 17th where I am at. Hopefully Lyles case will be solved this year :cheer:

Somebody else sent an email to the BBC and another to Deutsche Welle. I'm gonna try to send emails to ZDF, ARD, MDR (all German TV stations), The Province (Canadian newspaper), etc.

I haven't heard back from Daily Mail yet, but I sent them a message because they do news stories about everything.

Somebody else sent an email to the BBC and another to Deutsche Welle. I'm gonna try to send emails to ZDF, ARD, MDR (all German TV stations), The Province (Canadian newspaper), etc.

I haven't heard back from Daily Mail yet, but I sent them a message because they do news stories about everything.

That was me (who sent the e-mail to BBC and Deutsche Welle). I also e-mailed al-Jazeera and al-Arabiya because I think "Lyle" may have been from the Middle East. So far, the only one I have heard back from is Deutsche Welle, which responded with --

Dear DW-WORLD.DE Reader,

thank you very much for your e-mail and your interest in Deutsche Welle.

Comments and suggestions from our readers/listeners and viewers are welcome. We have forwarded your request to the collegues of DW-TV.

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

Hoping you will continue enjoying our various services

we remain

Deutsche Welle

Honestly, I'm not exactly sure what to make of it.

That was me (who sent the e-mail to BBC and Deutsche Welle). I also e-mailed al-Jazeera and al-Arabiya because I think "Lyle" may have been from the Middle East. So far, the only one I have heard back from is Deutsche Welle, which responded with --

Honestly, I'm not exactly sure what to make of it.

Which email did you use for DW? I couldn't figure out which one to use :(

Germany has their own crime solving show Aketenzeichen XY ... ungelost, which was the inspiration for America's Most Wanted.

Which email did you use for DW? I couldn't figure out which one to use :(

Germany has their own crime solving show Aketenzeichen XY ... ungelost, which was the inspiration for America's Most Wanted.

I e-mailed feedback.english@dw.de and info@dw.de, I'm not sure which one they were replying to because the reply came from tv@dw.de. It took them about a day to reply.

I e-mailed feedback.english@dw.de and info@dw.de, I'm not sure which one they were replying to because the reply came from tv@dw.de. It took them about a day to reply.

Thanks!

I've sent an email to ZDF. They have an English website as well, so you can contact them at info@zdf.com

ZDF airs programming in 9 other countries, so I may have gotten 10 or so countries covered now. I'm going to try my hand at the Austrian network ORF. Russia Today absolutely confuses me.

It looks like Lyle may not be going on German TV right now:

For obvious reasons, we can only bring a very limited number of unsolved cases to the attention of our audience and have to set priorities for our choices. The calls for help are always officially endorsed by German police investigators who are usually the first source of our information. If there is any good reason to believe Lyle’s case leads to Germany , investigators in the US would no doubt get in touch with their colleagues here in Germany . I am sorry I cannot provide you with a more positive answer and thank you for your understanding.
Best regards,
Heiko von Debschitz
International Relations
ZDF German Television

But I do understand where Heiko is coming from, so I'm not totally disappointed.

http://nampn.org/cases/dennis_jodie_michael.html

Just for my reference: Jode Michael Dennis

Missing Since: Aug. 23, 2001 from New Westminster, British Columbia
Classification: Missing
Date Of Birth: 1971
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 160 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Race: White
Distinguishing Characteristics: Mole on chin. Cranial scars
from a depressed skull fracture in 1994.
Medical Conditions:
Clothing: Black 3/4 length jacket with gray ining,
black v-neck sweater, plack pants, balck Rootsboots.
Case Number: 2001-6792

He's been posted here before. I think the problem was his ears are not attached like Lyles but I am not certain if that was the issue or not.

This case is too hard :/ I haven't gone through all posts (or really any) yet. I wanted to go into it with Virgin eyes if you will.

I am sure it has been posted before, but: When I think about his name, Lyle Stevik and the fact Joyce Carol Oates's book You must Remember This has a Lyle Stevick in it is there any chance this was a required reading book for a college or university? Either he randomly chose this name or the book had pivotal meaning for him. I found a few "cliff notes" on the book. Maybe understanding the book is helpful. Here is one link.

http://articles.latimes.com/1987-08-16/books/bk-1572_1_joyce-carol-oates

The other thing that came to mind is, missing persons/students from the East Coast (Princeton where Oates is a professor). Any chance this young man attended Princeton or another college wrote a passionate paper on the book and felt the world ended due to a bad grade...or worse, poor grade from Oates as a professor and his literary hero? Not to blame her...but...was just looking at seemingly innocuous things that can be devastating in a younger persons mind. That would explain the weight loss and subsequent suicide.

Also, I have not read the book...but from the link above that I provided, it provide insight or areas to look at we haven't yet. Intense book.

Also...If this UID was from another country and perhaps here on a student Visa, and way to check those databases for people who failed to leave the country?

And one more question...if this has been answered let me know...he used the address of a hotel in Meridian, Idaho. Was he ever a guest at that hotel (did they ever track that), if he was...did he give another address to that hotel. Thanks!

I haven't heard of this man before, but am trying to read up. Is there a list somewhere of the people who have been officially ruled out?

There's a compiled list from ColdCaseMan you should read. He was the detective at the time so there is some answers/ info you may find useful without having to read through all of the threads. Its from the most recent (which has been awhile) to his oldest post, so it may be easier to start at the bottom. I encourage you to read all the threads too when you have spare time, its a interesting read!

There is a PM/Ruleouts list that Outofthedark started.
I really wish they would get Lyle into Namus!

while i certainly think it's worth looking into why he used the pseudonym "lyle stevick" i wanted to make a point that i personally have two fake names i use when necessary (filling out forms, dodgy situations, etc) and neither of them have any attachment to me other than they are names i remember for some reason. both are similar to "lyle stevick" in that they are related to something real but not anything that i have a real world attachment to, if that makes any sense. if this were me, and people were looking into the same connection they'd be barking up the wrong tree. he may have read the book and the name stuck in his head without him having any real attachment to the book. just my 2 cents.

This has probably already been mentioned so please forgive me if it has: he was most certainly from a country that uses the Roman alphabet in it's simplicity. I don't see him as being eastern European (ie; German, Bulgarian) because their version of the roman alphabet is too flourish, IMO. He most definitely came from a country that uses clear, simple letters. So: England, Canada, America (but not Mexico), Australia.

This has probably already been mentioned so please forgive me if it has: he was most certainly from a country that uses the Roman alphabet in it's simplicity. I don't see him as being eastern European (ie; German, Bulgarian) because their version of the roman alphabet is too flourish, IMO. He most definitely came from a country that uses clear, simple letters. So: England, Canada, America (but not Mexico), Australia.

German is actually quite easy to learn, once you tackle some of the special letters and pronunciations of particular letters (S = Z, J = Y, W = V, and I think V can be pronounced with an F sound). For example, Jamaica is spelled as "Jamaika" and pronounced as "YAH-MYKAH".

Oh yeah I know. I took 5 years in high school. But what I'm saying is the actual style of the written letter. German tends to be embellished and it comes through in English written word.

Oh yeah I know. I took 5 years in high school. But what I'm saying is the actual style of the written letter. German tends to be embellished and it comes through in English written word.

I know a few basics and tons of words, but not enough skills to hold a conversation. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675