WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but did we ever learn which motel it actually was? If someone knows they can pm me, rather than post it.

I am curious, as I just got back from Lake Quinault last week, vacationing there. Also I stayed in a small motel in Amanda Park in the early 2000s. I don't have any additional insights to offer at the moment, I was just wondering. Never heard of this case until tonight.

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but did we ever learn which motel it actually was? If someone knows they can pm me, rather than post it.

I am curious, as I just got back from Lake Quinault last week, vacationing there. Also I stayed in a small motel in Amanda Park in the early 2000s. I don't have any additional insights to offer at the moment, I was just wondering. Never heard of this case until tonight.

It was named in an article on the Daily World website, but I can't find the archive section on the website, so now I'm screwed.

I would be interested to know too. I can't find the daily world article either without paying but according to google maps, the Quinalt River Inn looks like it's near shops and food outlets which I think coldcaseman has said that Lyle's motel was. I will keep looking.

http://www.quinaultriverinn.com/

ETA - As far as I can tell there are only 6 hotels in Amanda Park. 4 of them are not near stores, cafes etc. So this may narrow it down to the Quinalt River Inn or the Lake Quinalt Inn which unfortunately doesn't seem to have a website. My money is on the Lake Quinalt Inn.

I would be interested to know too. I can't find the daily world article either without paying but according to google maps, the Quinalt River Inn looks like it's near shops and food outlets which I think coldcaseman has said that Lyle's motel was. I will keep looking.

http://www.quinaultriverinn.com/

ETA - As far as I can tell there are only 6 hotels in Amanda Park. 4 of them are not near stores, cafes etc. So this may narrow it down to the Quinalt River Inn or the Lake Quinalt Inn which unfortunately doesn't seem to have a website. My money is on the Lake Quinalt Inn.

I found the area of LQI on Google Maps, and I'm sure it's right one.

It wasn't related to AMW per say, but somebody speculated (on another website) that Urbina could possibly be involved with the Juarez Serial Killings because police believe that he could currently be in Juarez.

I wouldn't put it past Fidel Urbina to be a serial killer/be involved. If he's capable of what he did 13 years ago, then he's probably just as capable of committing crimes on the level of a serial killer.

He also has an arrest warrant in Mexico for what he did in the US.

That was me. I have a new thread about that here in the Serial Killers subforum.

Name:Albert Jay Pitkethly
Classification:Endangered Missing Adult Alias / Nickname:Jay Date of Birth:1959-08-05 Date Missing:2001-09-16 From City/State:Ketchum, ID Age at Time of Disappearance:42 Gender:Male Race:White Height:71 inches Weight:190 pounds Hair Color:Brown Eye Color:Brown Complexion:Medium Identifying Characteristics:Head injury from falling from a balcony. Clothing:Navy blue T-shirt, gray parka, blue shorts, brown sandals. Circumstances of Disappearance:Unknown. Jay was last seen in Gimlet with an acquaintance. At approximately 5:00pm, Jay borrowed her vehicle to go to the store and never returned. He may have been disoriented from the head injury that occurred earlier that day. The vehicle that Jay borrowed was located the following day at a vacant home in Gimlet. Investigative Agency:Blaine County Sheriff's Office Phone:(208) 788-5555 Investigative Case #:01-0900047 NCIC #:M-751854282
A200301064W_508.jpg
This is a shot in the dark since the eye color does not match. I had a New York Coroner recently tell me that the interpretation of eye color after death is subjective and is not always accurate. So this one has been sitting in my head for a minute or two since this guy disappeared the day before Lyle appeared so to speak. Idaho and Washington are not that far apart and this picture gives no indication of when it was actually taken. As to the circumstances and the date last seen you have to take someone's word for it.

Unidentified White/Hispanic or Possibly Native American male
Located on September 17th, 2001 in Grays Harbor, Washington
Cause of death is apparent suicide
Doe Network case file is 233UMWA

Approx.Age: 20-30
Height and Weight: 72-75 inches and 140 pounds
Characteristics: Appendoctomy Scar on abdomen.
What do you guys think about Ronald Frye? I ran searches and it doest look like he has been suggested but I have not seen any namus rule out nor do I know if either person has DNA in the system.

This missing person from washington state is 6 foot 2 inches tall.
He was 16 in 1993 when he went missing which would make him 24 years old when this uid was found 174 miles from where Ronald frye went missing from. Victora BC is 84 miles from where Ronald went missing from. His age progressed picture does not apear to be far off from what "lyle" looks like.

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/crime/docs/misadult/Frye_Ronald.pdf

I found the area of LQI on Google Maps, and I'm sure it's right one.

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Right near the trailer park. Also it is a place that is easy to spot and convenient from 101. When I stayed there, it was a spur of the moment decision, because we just happened to see it right there near 101. Reasonably priced, unlike many of the motels/resorts around the Lake Quinault area.

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Right near the trailer park. Also it is a place that is easy to spot and convenient from 101. When I stayed there, it was a spur of the moment decision, because we just happened to see it right there near 101. Reasonably priced, unlike many of the motels/resorts around the Lake Quinault area.

I remember that he had made complaints about the trailer park.

I've mulled this case over for a while. Unfortunately I can't say that I have read absolutely every post, or even remember all of the posts I've read! So please gently remind me if I put forward something that has already been dismissed.

The point I keep using as my central thought, is that Lyle didn't want his identity known. Why not? I can think of two broad reasons:
1) he was paranoid (mental health issues, either schizophrenic or PTSD?); or,
2) he was ashamed.

Regarding point #2, why might he be 'ashamed'?

1) his family would disown him (if they hadn't already) or be embarrassed.
- religious beliefs?
- sexual orientation?
- failure at school?

2) he had committed a crime.
- killed someone?
- sexual assault?
- terrorism?

In the end, I suspect that something must have precipitated his actions. What could that have been? 9/11 is one event that could have been a trigger. As for other possible triggers I looked at other people who disappeared or other unidentified people who were found around the same time. The only ones that stood out were:

The unidentified male who was found near Deep River Ontario on Sept 5, 2011. Woodland already highlighted this individual as possibly connected. It seems odd to me that an individual (not from the area) would be hiking alone in that area. Deep River is fairly isolated and is known for its nuclear research facility. What if Lyle was a member of an eco-terrorist group, such as ELF? What if Lyle was traveling with this person, and his companion suddenly died? (from overuse of caffeine and weight loss pills?) Let's say that Lyle put as much distance as he could from the situation and headed out to the west coast. Then, the 9/11 attacks took place. Perhaps Lyle began to question what the heck he was doing. Far-fetched, but possible. According to Wikipedia (can there be a more reliable source? ;) ) the ELF was classified as the top "domestic terror" threat in the United States by the Federal Bureau of Investigation in March 2001. Also of note, according to Wikipedia, "Craig Rosebraugh served as an unofficial spokesperson for the ELF Press Office in North America from 1997 to early September 2001". It makes me wonder what the signficance of early Sept 2011 was. The only thing I can think of is 9/11.

O.K., I admit that this is far-fetched, however I can't discard the possibility that 9/11 changed things, and that this was somehow a trigger for Lyle and the actions he took a few days later.

Still with me? When I looked for people that might have disappeared just prior to Lyle's suicide (that would make him feel guilty or ashamed), the only one that jumped out at me was Kyle Tolley. Kyle, 17 and from Boise Idaho, was last seen on Aug 17, 2001. He was camping with his brother and his brother's friend at the time. Of particular interest was that the address Lyle gave was in Meridian Idaho, a suburb of Boise, from what I can tell. Is there a possible link here? The specifics of Kyle's disappearance are quite sketchy at best. Were Lyle and Kyle gay? Did they meet each other? Did something go awry?

Sorry for being so long-winded. There are so many different possibilities.

I've not looked at this case in a long time, but was the hotel Lyle listed as his personal address (in Meridian, Idaho) ever been looked into? Did he stay at that hotel earlier? Did he know someone that worked here? Did he live locally? It just seems a bit of a random address to pluck out of nothing, if I were to give a fake address it would still have to come from somewhere, or else be "1222 Main Street" or something. I can't imagine many people having knowledge of Meridian,Idaho unless they had been there.

I've not looked at this case in a long time, but was the hotel Lyle listed as his personal address (in Meridian, Idaho) ever been looked into? Did he stay at that hotel earlier? Did he know someone that worked here? Did he live locally? It just seems a bit of a random address to pluck out of nothing, if I were to give a fake address it would still have to come from somewhere, or else be "1222 Main Street" or something. I can't imagine many people having knowledge of Meridian,Idaho unless they had been there.

They [Law Enforcement] did go to the Best Western and talk to the staff. The staff did not know him.

Thank you! I assumed they would have, I'm just wondering if Lyle had passed through Meridian on his way (but not at that hotel I suppose), or had some other connection or knowledge of the area.

Thank you! I assumed they would have, I'm just wondering if Lyle had passed through Meridian on his way (but not at that hotel I suppose), or had some other connection or knowledge of the area.

He probably got the address out of a phone book.

Yes, what I mean is that it would have to be a phone book with a hotel in Idaho in it.

I have made an alternative Lyle poster. I based the format on some WANTED posters that I found on Google Images. It is in PDF format.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/105554515/Lyle-Stevik-Information-Wanted-2

God Bless you Outofthedark for being such a devoted poster, never giving up the ship.

Looking at your poster gave me the thought Lyle didn't just commit suicide any 'ole way. The way he went about it seems to show a thought process of the order on which he would do this. Not like a ritual, but close, his clothes laid neatly on the bed, a few things laid out on the little table near by. He could have offed himself in all the woods in the area or run out in front of a bus on the Hwy. No, I think in his mind it had to be done the right way. Now I feel more confident in thinking he is of American Indian descent. Maybe he wanted to appease the Gods as he knew suicide was not approved by the spirits. Just thinking - hope this makes a bit of sense. ;}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member