Identified! PA - White Haven, 'Beth Doe' & Unborn Baby 169UFPA, 16-22, Dec'76 - #2 - Evelyn Colon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driving on an Interstate yesterday I noticed

WTC
(numbers)

on the back of a semi trailer.

Can't tell you the name of the company, sorry.

She is trying to tell us something, identify something for us -- but what??? :banghead:

I'm sorry if this has already been suggested, but I was wondering if "WSR" could be West State Route? Maybe the address she was hitchhiking to?

Yes I thought that also, back in 2007 I typed in west state route 4547, just playing around with number combinations and on map quest came up with Rockport PA, which is a town near White Haven.

Yes I thought that also, back in 2007 I typed in west state route 4547, just playing around with number combinations and on map quest came up with Rockport PA, which is a town near White Haven.

I think that's a very likely interpretation. I think she wrote directions to somewhere on her palm, so she could read them easily while driving.

Hope one day we find out who you were...36 years is a long time to be unknown. I will keep searching.

Thinking of Beth tonight, I wonder what baby outfits she would have bought to bring her baby home from the hospital in. Wish I could find out what doctor or midwife she may have gone to. I have done some research on the area, sifting through microfilm, printed the articles from December 76 but don't have a scanner. I searched prior to the 20th when she was found and after the 20th.

One news article caught my eye, this page didn't have anything on it about Beth, but the article was about a fire that took place, strangely enough, right down the road from where she is now buried. It was called the old county home, it had not been in service since 74 when the patients were moved to a new facility. Afterwards vandals got a hold of it, on this particular property was a slaughter house, a two story barn, an artesian well, a greenhouse, a sewage disposal plant as well and other buildings. The light company owned the property at the time of the barn fire that took 100 men to put out because the water supply in that area was not good. The fire happened on December 20th at 12:30 a.m.........so who was really going to pay attention to someone on the bridge, someone who was possibly just changing a flat tire? The main concern in that time frame was putting out the fire. The barn was burned to the ground and classified as arson.

Arson happened again in March of 77, this time it was one of the main buildings, again because of water supply they had a difficult time putting the fire out. Finally in 1978 the remaining buildings were raized.

I don't think Beth lived in that area, there was enough media attention that someone would have recognized her if she lived there, but maybe someone she knew was familiar with that area. I'm just thinking in every direction with this, maybe I haven't written these thoughts before for fear it will sound stupid.

These buildings were vacant, on a road that wasn't used much by anyone, I kept thinking of the straw, which of course could be in any barn, but there was also the slaughter house, and privacy, and the bridge which is only about seven miles from the barn.

Still searching........

Its nice to see other peoples thoughts and ideas on these cases! You dug up some interesting stuff, I wonder if LE ever looked into it at the time.

I sent requests under the freedom of information act to find out if there was anyone questioned or considered a suspect at that time, state police directed me local, and local said they had no records there, tried the fire department and received no response......another road block...still searching.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2322dfqc.html

Sylvie Ouimet
Missing since April 1975 from Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: July 15, 1954
Age at Time of Disappearance: 20 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 163 cm (5’4”); 56 kg (124 lbs.)
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Chestnut hair; blue eyes.
Circumstances of Disappearance
Sylvie was living with her parents in Laval.
At the time of her disappearance, she was hospitalized at the Albert Prevost Institute of Montreal.

She left the institution without her belongings and has not been seen since.

There was a daily train from Montreal to New York City (the Adirondack) that started in 1974. Everything is in line with Beth Doe except the eye color. I made a side by side image of the various images but Chrome isn't letting me attach them here. What do we think? I am trying to find out more about Sylvie. The hospital mentioned was a psychiatric hospital at the time.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2322dfqc.html

Sylvie Ouimet
Missing since April 1975 from Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: July 15, 1954
Age at Time of Disappearance: 20 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 163 cm (5’4”); 56 kg (124 lbs.)
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Chestnut hair; blue eyes.
Circumstances of Disappearance
Sylvie was living with her parents in Laval.
At the time of her disappearance, she was hospitalized at the Albert Prevost Institute of Montreal.

She left the institution without her belongings and has not been seen since.

There was a daily train from Montreal to New York City (the Adirondack) that started in 1974. Everything is in line with Beth Doe except the eye color. I made a side by side image of the various images but Chrome isn't letting me attach them here. What do we think? I am trying to find out more about Sylvie. The hospital mentioned was a psychiatric hospital at the time.

The one on my right especially looks like it could be her, wish the eye color matched.

It's tough to find anything on sylvie.

I always found the Trail of Tears cases interesting from that area.

I wonder if she is part of his murders. He liked meeting prostitutes at seedy motels and dismembering them. The article pointed out a couple things I found interesting:
*old bed spread could have been motel variety
*he removed breasts - among other parts
*at least once he picked up a pregnant prostitute to torture
*he brought bags/suitcase(s) to carry out body parts in
*his wife said they stopped having sex in late 1976

http://murderpedia.org/male.C/c/cottingham-richard.htm

I'm wondering what the population of that area was in 1976. It seems a pretty tight distance and timeframe to have an unidentified homicide victim & an unidentified suicide victim that are unrelated - and both never identified.

There is a resovoir right by there. Do you know if a car was ever found in it?

I'm thinking he could have been there a week or so longer than they think since it was a cold time of year. Richard Kluklinski used to freeze his victims to mess up the time of death.

I keep looking at this girl as well: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1290dfmd.html

and wondering if she was pregnant and that was the 'family problems'.

She seems more likely to have gone in the bay than a river 3 hours north - unless there was some connection to PA.

I lived in the area in 1976 just after I graduated from HS. We had a vacation home on Arrowhead Lake and I decided to take a year off before college. Even in 1976 the area was a huge tourist destination although if I remember correctly White Haven was a bit off the main tourist destinations, Mt. Airey, Camelback etc. I was a bartender just outside Camelback which was a very popular skiing destination. There were lots of vacation sites dotted throughout that whole region with many offering Hollywood entertainment and heart shaped bath tubs and beds. Also really geared to a honeymoon destination. In addition there were lots of hunting shacks, lodges near all the hundreds, maybe even thousands, of acres of state forest. Hunting, fishing, etc. was very popular up there. They had catch and release trophy trout waters that pulled in lots of folks from all over. I grew up fishing those areas with my grandfather. There were lots of really remote places up there.

Lots of young people headed there to work. Good money, loads of opporunities in the service industry: housekeeping, bartending, waitressing, etc. Good money, lots of fun things to do on your off time.

Well, here's a long shot. I Googled WSR, and there was a kind of Weather Surveillance Radar, the forerunner to our Doppler Radar, that was dubbed WSR-57. At the time of these events, it was being replaced with a newer system called WSR-74. There was an installation, for example, going in at Harrisburg, PA, that was commissioned in June of 1977.

If you subscribe to the idea that she was trying to send a message with the numbers and letters scribbled on her palm, then she might have been signalling that her abductor worked on those systems. Someone with military training might certainly have acquired a job doing so. Perhaps there was some kind of documentation in the car regarding the systems, or perhaps her abductor had mentioned that that was what he worked on.

I lived in the area in 1976 just after I graduated from HS. We had a vacation home on Arrowhead Lake and I decided to take a year off before college. Even in 1976 the area was a huge tourist destination although if I remember correctly White Haven was a bit off the main tourist destinations, Mt. Airey, Camelback etc. I was a bartender just outside Camelback which was a very popular skiing destination. There were lots of vacation sites dotted throughout that whole region with many offering Hollywood entertainment and heart shaped bath tubs and beds. Also really geared to a honeymoon destination. In addition there were lots of hunting shacks, lodges near all the hundreds, maybe even thousands, of acres of state forest. Hunting, fishing, etc. was very popular up there. They had catch and release trophy trout waters that pulled in lots of folks from all over. I grew up fishing those areas with my grandfather. There were lots of really remote places up there.

Lots of young people headed there to work. Good money, loads of opporunities in the service industry: housekeeping, bartending, waitressing, etc. Good money, lots of fun things to do on your off time.

We honeymooned in Mt. Airy in 1979, at a place called Birchwood. It was a beautiful, beautiful area. I didn't realize it was that close to the place where Beth was found.

I wonder if she is part of his murders. He liked meeting prostitutes at seedy motels and dismembering them. The article pointed out a couple things I found interesting:
*old bed spread could have been motel variety
*he removed breasts - among other parts
*at least once he picked up a pregnant prostitute to torture
*he brought bags/suitcase(s) to carry out body parts in
*his wife said they stopped having sex in late 1976

http://murderpedia.org/male.C/c/cottingham-richard.htm

This is a really good find, going to read up more on the guy. Thank you.

I think that's a very likely interpretation. I think she wrote directions to somewhere on her palm, so she could read them easily while driving.
The preset four digit State Route system did not exist in 76, an older five digit designation system called the Legislative Route system did. A state maintained road would have had a designation like LR51040 (made that one up). For the State Route designation system now in use (since the late 80's), you would have something like "SR4265 07/1140" on a little placard by the side of the road every half mile or so. Took us years to get the State Police to stop referring to "Legislative Routes" (with numbers that did not exist any more) in their reports.
"West State Route" is meaningless, never saw it written that way.

There must be some other interpretation.

The preset four digit State Route system did not exist in 76, an older five digit designation system called the Legislative Route system did. A state maintained road would have had a designation like LR51040 (made that one up). For the State Route designation system now in use (since the late 80's), you would have something like "SR4265 07/1140" on a little placard by the side of the road every half mile or so. Took us years to get the State Police to stop referring to "Legislative Routes" (with numbers that did not exist any more) in their reports.
"West State Route" is meaningless, never saw it written that way.

There must be some other interpretation.

Thanks! So hard to figure out these things from outside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayana2cool4school