UK - James Bulger, 2, abducted & murdered, Merseyside, 12 Feb 1993

I think it depends. I actually think that with enough early intervention, violent child offenders can be rehabilitated. Their brains are not done baking yet and can be rewired, IMO. But I do not have the same opinion when it comes to pedophilia. If a child is diagnosed as having pedophilia (meaning he or she is obsessed with the idea of sexual activity with children at least five years younger than them), I think the chances of rehabilitation are zero. I don't think anyone has figured out how to change a set sexual dynamic. Nevertheless, not all children who sexually abuse other children are pedophiles. Some may simply be acting out something that happened to them - trying to make sense of it or acting out in anger.
In this case, one boy seems to have been successfully rehabilitated. The other is clearly a pedophile and was not successfully rehabilitated. I share the rage of others who think his parole should be revoked and he should be put back in prison to serve out his life sentence. They gave rehabilitation a shot, a good, strong effort. It did not work. This guy has proved that he remains dangerous. Maybe concerned citizens should try to sue the government for putting their safety at risk by not recalling this person to serve out his life sentence. It's over for him. The on-going efforts of the government to protect this one criminal have the effect of putting the entire rest of the population at grave risk. How is that right?

I think there is a HUGE difference between a child that simply commits a violent act and a psychopathic child. I realize psychopathy isn't a label assigned to a child, typically they're assigned "severe conduct disorder". However, I believe the psychopath CAN be and SHOULD be identified and deemed UN-treatable in childhood. Treatment typically makes them better able to fool those around them. It actually teaches them how to FAKE empathy and remorse. Making them all the more savvy and threatening to the unsuspecting surrounding them.

I'm sorry-probation is not responsible for Venables amassing child *advertiser censored*, but they are responsible for not providing counseling, a job and an ideal fresh start?

Is this a joke?

It's quite a trick, isn't it Believe? Patting yourself on the back while you're covering your bunnies?

It was a signal event, the murder of James Patrick Bulger by two ten-year-old boys, Robert Thompson and Jon Venables. England had not seen the likes since the 1960s, when ten-year-old Mary Bell killed Martin Brown, aged four, and Brian Howe, aged three. The firestorm it set off filled world headlines - children killing children is a rare phenomenon. On 12 February, it will have been twenty years since the Bulger killing. I imagine we'll see retrospective articles in the press like the one below, an account of the day of the crime and its aftermath, by James Bulger's father. So I thought we should have a thread.* (links above are from Wiki)

Ralph Bulger - my story: It has been 20 years since the unspeakably shocking murder of
James Bulger, but his father has never given his full heartbreaking account. Until now
(Sunday Mail)

* the murder has been mentioned in many other WS threads, several of which have explored aspects of the subject, mainly events occurring years afterward; in order of their WS appearance, first to last:

UK - James Bulger's Mother Tracks down Killer

Child killer to marry unknowing bride.

One of James Bulger's killers was sent back to prison today

Jon Venables and Crimes

Jamie Bulger killer charged with DL child *advertiser censored*

UK: Echoes of James Bulger as two boys arrested for attempted supermarket abduction

Other recent articles:

"A great danger": James Bulger's killer Jon Venables should not be released from jail says toddler's mum (Mirror)
Denise Fergus was speaking ahead of the 20th anniversary of her son's death

James Bulger murder: 20 years on and shock remains (scotsman.com)
---
Thirty-eight adults saw James being led or dragged through the streets of Liverpool, sometimes crying and with his head bloodied, on his journey towards his eventual death and did not intervene.
---
"I drank two bottles of whisky a day to blot out the pain": James Bulger's dad's story (Mirror)

A Daily Telegraph timeline of the case, from 1993-2010:

James Bulger murder: timeline
Here is a timeline of events surrounding the murder of James Bulger and
the conviction of his schoolboy killers - Jon Venables and Robert Thompson.

And very good, lengthy Independent article from the year of the murder, 1993:

James Bulger: The death of innocence
---
The most interesting question, in the end, is why we are so obsessed. We keep trying to use this case in some way, but it won't be used. What happened to James Bulger, and to Jon Venables and Robert Thompson, is meaningless, except that it shows us hell.

In Norway there was a very similar case which was treated quite differently.

The Norway town that forgave and forgot its child killers
In 1994, in Trondheim, five-year-old Silje Redergard was beaten to death by two little boys. Today, the girl's family still suffers and one of the boys is in trouble again – the echoes of the Bulger case are clear. So why has the public reaction in Norway been so startlingly different?

Guardian Link

In my town there was a similar case ten years ago but it didn't get as much attention. A 10 year old lured a 3 year old out of a library and beat him and left him in a ditch near his house. I actually ran into this boy on a regular basis before it happen. The house he lived in was less than a mile from where I grew up and a friend lived a few houses down. He would walk with his father who was blind to the grocery store I worked at the time. The dad was supposedly abusive and he was very troubled. He got expelled from school and was at the library with a tutor. He wasn't behaving and just was released. They were not even allowed to name him since he was a minor. One newspaper did by accident and got flack for it. I don't think he deserves anonymity. At 10 kids know the difference between right and wrong and have empathy. If they don't that is a sign that something isn't right. They pose a danger when they are released. They shouldn't get off so easy just because they were kids. I worry that Thompson is a serial killer but much better at hiding evidence now.

I worry that Thompson is a serial killer but much better at hiding evidence now.

I don't worry about Thompson at all, Venables is the one I think should be kept in prison. As for Thompson, he's kept under supervision and hasn't broken the law or his parole conditions since his release. I'd worry less about him living next door to me than alot of people who've never been convicted of anything.

[video=youtube;l3qPM4jN4w4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3qPM4jN4w4[/video]
Originally broadcast by Channel 4 in 1995.

I would have only been 5/6 when this happened but it scares the life out me.

I can barely read a paragraph of anything about poor James without bursting in to tears.

Would these two have been let out of jail so soon if it happened in say America?

They killed a two year old and they get new identities yet james's mother and family have to live every day missing their little boy :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

"It should be noted, there is a worldwide injunction in place which prevents the publication of any images or information purporting to identify anyone as Jon Venables."

Worldwide? I understand that there may be treaties that must be observed and other countries may choose to honor the decisions of foreign courts in certain matters but how do you get a world wide court order that is valid everywhere and prevents things from happening somewhere else that the court has no jurisdiction over?

I remember this happening, i was the same age as those monsters. I think it is absolutely disgusting that they are still protecting them. Especially Venables, he will hurt another child, i don't doubt that. He is sick and should just be locked up with the key thrown away. You can't cure his kind of sickness. JMO.

I've seen various photos on FB claiming to be the two of them, i feel sorry for the guys in those pictures if it isn't them.

"It should be noted, there is a worldwide injunction in place which prevents the publication of any images or information purporting to identify anyone as Jon Venables."

Worldwide? I understand that there may be treaties that must be observed and other countries may choose to honor the decisions of foreign courts in certain matters but how do you get a world wide court order that is valid everywhere and prevents things from happening somewhere else that the court has no jurisdiction over?

There's a special type of injunction which can be used when someone's life is considered to be in danger. Don't really know how they would enforce it, especially in the internet era, but its called a "contra mundum" injunction.

http://inforrm.wordpress.com/2011/04/23/case-law-opq-v-bjm-a-privacy-injunction-contra-mundum/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
honeydipp37
Back