UK - James Bulger, 2, abducted & murdered, Merseyside, 12 Feb 1993

OK so that was a little confusing... Persons in England can be ordered to do/not do something anywhere in the world?

The novel nature of the injunction granted in this case does not, as some media comments appear to suggest, relate to its “worldwide” nature – the English courts have always had “an unlimited jurisdiction” over persons in England and can order such a person in England to do something – or not to do something – anywhere in the world.

I take it that the worldwide court order is mostly limited to people and entities that are considered subject to English law so you shouldn't be able to go abroad, break the court order while there and then return to England without consequences.

OK so that was a little confusing... Persons in England can be ordered to do/not do something anywhere in the world?

I take it that the worldwide court order is mostly limited to people and entities that are considered subject to English law so you shouldn't be able to go abroad, break the court order while there and then return to England without consequences.

That seems to be about the size of it, legally speaking. However, it also seems to be something that other governments generally respect among each other. For example, a German magazine was planning to publish Thompson and Venables new identities some years ago, but after an approach from the British govt to their German counterparts, the German courts prevented them from doing so.

Two men have been given suspended sentences by the High Court for posting pics online claiming to be Thompson and Venables...

Dean Liddle and Neil Harkins escaped prison after they put photographs on Twitter and Facebook respectively purportedly depicting Jon Venables and Robert Thompson as adults.

They were each sentenced for posting the pictures this February, two days after the 20th anniversary of the toddler's murder, to nine-month sentences suspended for 15 months, following contempt proceedings brought by Attorney General Dominic Grieve QC.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tml?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

uh i will never understand this.

they do not deserve to be protected!!! what happens if one of them murders someone again,we don't know who they are to protect ourselves and others from them

They never should have been named publically in the first place IMO. Juveniles as young as ten usually aren't named no matter what crime they've committed, and when the judge made an exception in this case it simply resulted in a campaign of demonisation by the tabloid press which placed their lives in danger. The tax payer then had to fork out for new identities to restore the anonymity which most juveniles already have.

It would have been better to have handled it the same way as the more recent case in Doncaster where the judge barred the press from naming the two children. They're both up for parole next year, and I bet if they get released you'll hear virtually nothing about it.

They never should have been named publically in the first place IMO. Juveniles as young as ten usually aren't named no matter what crime they've committed, and when the judge made an exception in this case it simply resulted in a campaign of demonisation by the tabloid press which placed their lives in danger. The tax payer then had to fork out for new identities to restore the anonymity which most juveniles already have.

It would have been better to have handled it the same way as the more recent case in Doncaster where the judge barred the press from naming the two children. They're both up for parole next year, and I bet if they get released you'll hear virtually nothing about it.

I agree with you, Cappuccino. Children can perform evil deeds with no real conception of evil themselves. Can you really be a murder if you have no real concept of death, or a sadist if you have no concept of empathy?

I would have only been 5/6 when this happened but it scares the life out me.

I can barely read a paragraph of anything about poor James without bursting in to tears.

Would these two have been let out of jail so soon if it happened in say America?

They killed a two year old and they get new identities yet james's mother and family have to live every day missing their little boy :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

BBM. I was wondering the same thing. After googling a bit I've found a similar case from the States - California, to be precise. So we don't need to theorise about how the Americans would have handled this case, we can see how they did handle it....

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/little/readings/crucifixion.html

and now he is being paroled as of today's decision :(

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/bulger-killer-jon-venables-granted-parole

Earlier this year, James's mother, Denise Fergus, and father, Ralph Bulger, both addressed a parole healing and pushed for Venables to remain in prison.

But the U.K. parole board on Thursday confirmed that Venables had been granted parole; it declined to provide details on when he will be released. The Ministry of Justice declined to comment on the case, but said re-release of offenders is ordered by the parole board once it is satisfied they can be "safely managed" in the community.

Fergus took to Twitter to vent her frustration, writing: "Just don't believe what I've got 2 go through. AGAIN."

Ralph Bulger's lawyer, Robin Makin, said in a statement that his client is "disappointed and dismayed" by the "reckless decision" to release Venables.

"The decision to release Jon Venables is misguided and fills Ralph with terror," Makin said.

Third secret new identity coming up for him.

Bulger killer goes free again: Fury as Venables set for early release from child *advertiser censored* sentence. (Daily Mail)

I wonder if he will be on the sex offender register

Disgusting, clearly venables has HUGE issues, lock him up and throw away the key I say

Steve Brookstein has shoved his nose in, defending Venables. Bloody hell.

Venables is banned from visiting Merseyside, so he's got a tag, although that was pretty obvious I suppose. Still not over the fact this man was living minutes away from me before his last ID got exposed.

I thought Steve Brookstein's views were very reasonable. The way people rounded on him on twitter was pure bullying, agree with him or not he's entitled to his opinion.

He's on the sex offenders register for 10 years and banned from working with children for life.

Why the new secret ID then? Anyone could just take a gander at the registry and pick him out... or it a picture-less registry over there?

Why the new secret ID then? Anyone could just take a gander at the registry and pick him out... or it a picture-less registry over there?

He'll be on the sex offenders register under his new ID, and the sex offenders register in the UK is not open to the public.

I thought Steve Brookstein's views were very reasonable. The way people rounded on him on twitter was pure bullying, agree with him or not he's entitled to his opinion.

I agree he's entitled to an opinion, but is he serious about trying to rehabilitate Venables at this point?! Maybe as a child, yeah. But now that he's been charged for child *advertiser censored* and he's also on his 4th new identity now? Very odd that he said he'd be wishing for a death sentence were it his child yet he's responding to Denise's husband's criticism.

All he basically said was that Venables should be left alone and the gutter press should stop stirring people up. Maybe someone has a reasoned argument why Brookstein is wrong and vigilantes should be out hunting, egged on by the Daily Mail, but I've yet to see it. Instead its comments like " u r a nonce too" and "u need ur head kicked in".

Disgusting really.

I shy away from hyperbole and pointless outrage, but this is just getting ridiculous.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zurbamommyof2
Back