jodi Arias TAKES THE STAND FOR 9TH DAY #46 *may contain graphic and adult content*

Status
Not open for further replies.
abusive parents do not show up in court everyday and try and sell their own soul to help their kids

WRT to Juan, I think he has years of experience reading jurors and criminals. He will soften when the jurors stop watching him intently and making eye contact, or JA isn't responding the way he expects.

He's going to adjust his tactic based on the combined feedback from JA and the jurors. The talking heads are irrelevant to his methods.

Hi Websleuths,

I don't know about you, but I have been glued to the livestream of the Jodi Arias trial online and I've been watching the prosecutor Juan Martinez grill Jodi Arias all morning. I admit that he is a breath of fresh air and a shot of energy after the lethargic pace of defense attorney and possible teddy bear Kirk Nurmi. But still, I have some issues with Martinez' approach.

Btw, the best live stream I have seen so far is Wild About Trial. They have the documents, a live reporter in the courtroom tweeting, and all the background info for reference while you watch. http://wildabouttrial.com/videos/jodi-arias-live-stream/

I am a criminal defense attorney in California, which of course doesn't make my opinions correct but it does provide some exposure to different styles of prosecutors. I generally think Martinez is doing a great job of presenting Jodi's inconsistent testimony and developing the persona of Jodi as a jealous ex-lover.

However, I have two primary critiques about his cross-examination thus far. One is stylistic and one is tactical:

First, he has a very abrasive tone and tends to come off as too aggressive and almost violent. He looks sometimes like a junkyard dog about to be let off the chain. It can be effective to be forceful and put Jodi on the defensive, but with his level of intensity he risks losing the jury. The defense only needs to get one juror to avoid a conviction, and the more Martinez viciously attacks her the more sympathy a juror may have for Jodi. He can ask the same questions without always having his fangs out.

Second, he is jumping around way too much in his questioning. In my opinion he should be methodically going through all of Jodi's lies and inconsistent statements. Instead he is skipping around from one time to the next so that it's difficult for the jury to follow along. Jurors may be understanding that Jodi wasn't telling the truth, but Martinez is making it difficult for them to put those lies within the context of the narrative.

This is only day 1 of the cross-examination, and I am really interested to see what happens next.

How does everyone else feel about the testimony so far?
BBM

I feel like Jodi being attacked by Juan isn't phasing the alleged timid and abused Jodi in the least. I feel like she is glib and combative. I feel she can hold her own with men, and that NO ONE will abuse Jodi Arias. No one, and they didn't; it was all a lie, because the woman on the stand we see today would NOT have put up with it. I feel her attitude during cross reflects the Jodi that slaughtered Travis and that her attitude during direct was an act - an act she can't keep up, because she will not tolerate being talked to like that!

IMO, Juan does not need to back off; Jodi is showing her true colours because it's not in her nature to be timid and scared of some man. She can't let it go. EVER.

All just IMO

Nah. Jodi thinks she's the smartest person in the room. She's a fast thinker, has an answer for EVERYthing. She's sort of good at throwing things back at JM, "correcting" him on B.S.

That's one of her hallmark characteristics: pointing out when people are wrong or misspeak or whatever. Juan's going to have to break out the wooden spoon!

I'm sure this smug, defiant attitude is exactly why her parents wound up tossing her around when she was young. Can you imagine being Jodi's parent? Uggh

I woulda hit her with more than a wooden spoon, that's for sure. :floorlaugh:

OT---did you happen to read that kelly and johnny bonds (who wrote 'the cop who wouldn't quit' about the markham duff-smith case) are doing a new reality show where they try to solve cold cases? david wolfe is developing it with them.

the thought of kelly siegler going for jodi's jugular makes me smile, so thanks!

!!!!!

I had not heard of this but just let out a little squeal. Do you have any more information on the show? Or... I could just google it myself. Can't wait to see that one!

Inside the defendant's waiting room.....

Nurmi: Jodi, I told you 50,000 times to act like a shrinking violent and cower in front of Juan Martinez!!!

Jodi the subhuman psychopath: Okay, Kurt. (HMPF! I COWER BEFORE NO ONE! NO ONE!)

HELP! I am having difficulty finding information - new to WS, sorry- I desperately need to see the photos with time stamps that are beside the photos or at least legible, and in time order if at all possible.

I know someone asked about this but I can't find the answer!

Tks anyone.....

Sorry if this is a redundant link, cannot keep up with the speed of this thread!

Photos with timestamps:

http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/wasthinking/media/collage_zps00e64932.jpg.html

WRT glasses, I am nearsighted and I only use glasses to drive or watch TV- see at distances. That said, if someone puts a page in front of me... it doesn't effect my ability to read it. Same if I'm wearing contacts or glasses, I don't have to remove them.

Hi Websleuths,

I don't know about you, but I have been glued to the livestream of the Jodi Arias trial online and I've been watching the prosecutor Juan Martinez grill Jodi Arias all morning. I admit that he is a breath of fresh air and a shot of energy after the lethargic pace of defense attorney and possible teddy bear Kirk Nurmi. But still, I have some issues with Martinez' approach.

Btw, the best live stream I have seen so far is Wild About Trial. They have the documents, a live reporter in the courtroom tweeting, and all the background info for reference while you watch. http://wildabouttrial.com/videos/jodi-arias-live-stream/

I am a criminal defense attorney in California, which of course doesn't make my opinions correct but it does provide some exposure to different styles of prosecutors. I generally think Martinez is doing a great job of presenting Jodi's inconsistent testimony and developing the persona of Jodi as a jealous ex-lover.

However, I have two primary critiques about his cross-examination thus far. One is stylistic and one is tactical:

First, he has a very abrasive tone and tends to come off as too aggressive and almost violent. He looks sometimes like a junkyard dog about to be let off the chain. It can be effective to be forceful and put Jodi on the defensive, but with his level of intensity he risks losing the jury. The defense only needs to get one juror to avoid a conviction, and the more Martinez viciously attacks her the more sympathy a juror may have for Jodi. He can ask the same questions without always having his fangs out.

Second, he is jumping around way too much in his questioning. In my opinion he should be methodically going through all of Jodi's lies and inconsistent statements. Instead he is skipping around from one time to the next so that it's difficult for the jury to follow along. Jurors may be understanding that Jodi wasn't telling the truth, but Martinez is making it difficult for them to put those lies within the context of the narrative.

This is only day 1 of the cross-examination, and I am really interested to see what happens next.

Welcome!!

I think you are right .. I'm personally glad that he's being aggressive though because it shows how much she can take without blinking an eye.

Hi Websleuths,

First of all, Welcome to Websleuths! :)

Secondly, I don't know if you have watched this trial from day one, but if you have, I find it difficult to believe that you feel the way that you do.

Jodi is a classic liar...one of the best that I have ever seen. She told too many previous lies/stories about the murder and so found herself in the position of having to take all her stories and put them together in one final, believable story. Liars can follow a story if it is run consecutively, but it is impossible to do if it is taken out of context. This is what Juan is doing by questioning her in this way. A liar has to lie further to cover up the lies they previously told. Then, they almost always get tangled in these lies. Jodi will get tangled, no doubt about it.

I do understand though that you feel the way that you do because you are a defense attorney. There is a complete different line of thinking between prosecution and defense.

I think that Juan is doing an excellent job! While he may need to lighten up just a bit (more for his sake of sustaining this pace for many more days), I am amazed at his abilities and think that he will secure a premeditated murder verdict as he has many times in the past.

Y'all might not like her but I do like the way she ethnically says Juan Martinez every single time!!

Hi Websleuths,

First, Welcome.

Second - the bolded above.......
The jurors might be relieved that he is asking her the questions in a firm, efficient way. If I were on that jury, I know I would!

She also seems to be relishing in the challenge of the cross. She is more assertive and arrogant today vs her meek little 12 year old style of the last 7 days. She thinks she can take him on - and she is child's play for him and when she realizes that - watch out! Tears, shaking dogs, outburst -- I can imagine it all. IMHO - she won't be able to maintain the real stuff!

As for Juan being too aggressive and violent ----> Sorry, that award goes to the defendant. Nothing Juan is doing or will do will match the level of aggressiveness and violence jodi is capable of.

His track record speaks for his success with his style, so for now I will trust it!

Hi Websleuths,

:welcome: to WS

Most think that a sociopath needs to go in a certain order to keep their lies straight thus JM jumping around. Also, by attacking her right off the bat exposed who she really is not this meek victim she would have all believe. IMO it worked!!

So far so good!

Half an hour before court today a dear friend called and kept talking. A minute before I pretended that my phone was dying and got off the phone. (Yes I lied. No half-truths or I don't knows ;0) I put the phone down and suddenly Juan was on fire with the dumb sister question. 0 to 180 in 2 seconds! Go Juan!

Baaaaahahahahahahah. The things we do for our trial obsession. Wait...I can't hear you...can you hear me??? Oh well, must have lost the connection. CLICK

i think Juan is getting frustrated; i hope he gets it a little bit under control. her little questions like what date was that? what issue? after he just stated the date or what the issue was---

I don't think he is frustrated-I really think he just wants the facts. I don't think he wants to spend 30 minutes on a statement like the Defense did.

Hi Websleuths,

Hi- not sure about how I feel about the skipping around. You may be right, it's so early so I'll see how confused I get by tomorrow lol.

In regards to the rabid dog approach, I can only say it doesn't turn me off (yet), and not for any other reason than I sat in a civil trial for almost a week. It was long and tedius and I was almost grateful that the defense came off like a pit bull for most of the time, chipping away forcefully. It made me feel like "finally, someone's taking this seriously and we're gonna get to the bottom of this whole mess". After sitting through Arias' mundane drivel for so long, I suspect Juan's approach will be a breath of fresh air.

That isn't. Had it with IS and the talking heads of HLN at night. JVM just said that when Juan brought up the dumb sister remark that everyone would side with Jodi by him being a bully. Oh boo hoo!
And JC must not like men, with the exception of Cheney Mason! They are all paid to make outrageous comments. Are there ANY intelligent, honest journalists anymore? Is this what they have come to?
I admit that Jodi scared me right out of the box today! She is a freaking nut case. But Juan has proved himself. He is brilliant.

Oh my DOG: JVM just said JM's style is a "strategic error" concerning JA calling her sister dumb.

I don't think it was about whether JA called her sister dumb or not. JA answered JM with something like, "Well I called her dumb and stupid."
JM came back with, "I didn't ASK you about stupid, I asked you about dumb." (paraphrasing).

In my mind, JM was setting the stage for who would be in charge, not whether JA insulted her sister (but it was convenient to prove that she wasn't above name-calling, which she pretends to be overly offended by when it happens to her).

That's why I think he came out of the gate with that - and I think JVM on HLN isn't thinking much.

I also think that Nurmi did JM a favor concerning his more 'passionate' style - by droning on in the same tempo for days on end. I think people (and jurors are people) were looking forward and welcome the change of pace.

Plus, the jury has seen JM in action before, so this is not a surprise to them. Hopefully they are more perceptive than JVM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member