Explore Walking possibilities that Dylan or MR could take from the MR home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walking directions to 1875 County Road 500, Bayfield, CO 81122

2343 County Road 500
Bayfield, CO 81122

1. Head south on Co Rd 500 toward N Bridge Rd
0.4 mi

2. Turn right to stay on Co Rd 500 (Blue Spruce RV Park office)
Destination will be on the right
0.1 mi

1875 County Road 500
Bayfield, CO 81122

0.5 mi, 9 mins

Do you want to try and make a map?

2343 County Road 500
Bayfield, CO 81122

0.4 mi

0.1 mi

1875 County Road 500
Bayfield, CO 81122

0.5 mi, 9 mins

I made one for you

map11.png

2343 County Road 500
Bayfield, CO 81122

0.4 mi

0.1 mi

1875 County Road 500
Bayfield, CO 81122

0.5 mi, 9 mins

Thanks, I never have any luck with them.

Believe I remember Ransom mentioning Mushroom Lane from the original searches.

So I measured and found out that walking to the west side of the lake is faster than going to the east side of the lake and in an hour a person could walk to the north end of the lake. The West side is also the side a person would most likely come from if coming from Durango

ETA: However, getting to this point would take about an hour.

Attachments

• 2343 County Road 500, Bayfield, CO 81122 to Co Rd 501.png
    2343 County Road 500, Bayfield, CO 81122 to Co Rd 501.png
    358.1 KB · Views: 21
Working with the above, and assuming Dylan would think his father would be coming home to take him to his friend's house, I would think Dylan would not travel more than 30 minutes away, which gives me this area going South. I cannot imagine him going north for any reason. Anyone?

I have found an RSO on the West side of Vallecito Reservoir, and one just south and east of point B in my map, in addition to the one already known about in the RV park. I am guessing these are all the ones LE have already spoken to.

So, I could see Dylan walking over to the river, just hacking around. Or walking down to the bridge-North Bridge Road (I think Mark mentioned that). Or to the quarry looking thing behind the house. (see second map). But I am sure all of those places have been searched by now?

Attachments

• 2343 County Road 500, Bayfield, CO 81122 to Unknown road.png
    2343 County Road 500, Bayfield, CO 81122 to Unknown road.png
    508.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 2343 County Road 500, Bayfield, CO 81122 to QuarryLookingThing.png
    2343 County Road 500, Bayfield, CO 81122 to QuarryLookingThing.png
    615.9 KB · Views: 9
There is also a place called Wit's End Guest House & Resort at 254 County Road 500 Durango, CO 81122, just south of my point B on the previous map. If Dylan had walked down Trust Rd, he could have gone south on Ponderosa Ln, instead of West on Ponderosa Rd, to cut across Wit's End. As an aside, one of the RSO's lives close to or within the red rectangle area I have drawn as a possible search area.

ETA: Interesting street names: Trust Dr, Faith Ln, Hope Ln, Kind Pl, Pious Pl, Happy Pl, Hope Rd, Charity Pl, Cielo (Sky or Heaven) Dr.

Attachments

• AtWit'sEndResort.png
    AtWit'sEndResort.png
    701.6 KB · Views: 18
There is also a place called Wit's End Guest House & Resort at 254 County Road 500 Durango, CO 81122, just south of my point B on the previous map. If Dylan had walked down Trust Rd, he could have gone south on Ponderosa Ln, instead of West on Ponderosa Rd, to cut across Wit's End. As an aside, one of the RSO's lives close to or within the red rectangle area I have drawn as a possible search area.

I was going to mention that place too, but I was too lazy to check distance, etc. Thanks.

This was the only place north I could see he might want to go. I have to believe they have searched this, though. It is only about 800 feet away. Point A is Mark's house.

Attachments

• SmallLake.png
    SmallLake.png
    364.4 KB · Views: 22
To wrap up my above posts, IF Dylan thought he could meet his father by walking down the road to meet him part way, this would explain his backpack being missing (but not necessarily the miracle of a 13 year old picking up every single item he had brought with him on the trip). IF he forgot his charger and his phone was dead, this would explain no texts or calls. IF Mark had taken the phone away, this would also explain the no texts and no calls. This does not explain not calling anyone with the home phone land line, but let's shine that one on for the moment.

In a little over an hour, he could have made it to Bayfield Reality, Lone Wolf Lodge, Vallecito Baptist Church or Schank House Bar and Grill (see map), and thought he would wait there for his father to come by(and Dylan never made it there). Or he could have kept walking, hoping his father would come by. Depending on his route, he could have come close to 3 RSOs. He could have come close to several small lakes. He could have come close to the river (but not likely-the wrong direction for the shortest walk). He could have passed by Vallecito Reservoir. He could have run into some cars. He would probably have been cold, since he had no real coat, but maybe not if he kept moving.

It is just hard to believe he could have walked anywhere on the roads, and NOBODY saw him. Obviously the mail lady was looking at people walking around.

Attachments

• HourAwayLocations.png
    HourAwayLocations.png
    301.7 KB · Views: 15
Have we heard anything about the quarry area being searched? I wonder if it is a quarry or just a rock outcropping of some sort?

Salem

Have we heard anything about the quarry area being searched? I wonder if it is a quarry or just a rock outcropping of some sort?

Salem

Salem, I had not heard anything about that, but I could have missed that one.

Salem
From what I can see, it appears that the ground goes up a hill behind Mark's house, then levels out or dips down a bit into what I called a "quarry looking thing", but could just as well be where water runs down and pools and leaves rocks. There appears to be a dirt road just north of this area that might swing around into it (I can't tell due to tree cover.) It is not that far from the house, maybe 500 ft?

There is also another flat area up the hill I see, that looks like it might sometimes be a small swampy lake (rectangle in red on this map) another 700 of 800 ft from what I called "quarry looking thing" (circled in red on this map) These are places I could see a boy hacking around in.

ETA: Swampy looking things are dangerous for many 13 year old boys. My own got himself nearly stuck in a muddy sulfur spring. He was mud up to his knees. It looked like it was solid.....

Attachments

• OtherFlatArea.png
    OtherFlatArea.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Here's a thread about Google Earth map sleuthing. I don't know if this helps you guys, but worth a try.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197262"]Guide to Google Maps Sleuthing and Finding Clues! - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Salem, I had not heard anything about that, but I could have missed that one.

I guess we all could have missed it, Raine. We don't know exactly where they searched on Day 1. We assume it was around the house and outward, but I don't think we have anything that tells us that specifically.

What we do know is that the lake as been searched, at least in part. So... that's good.

It looks so rugged. Not easy terrain to search :(

Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members