trial recipe thread

When dealing with diabetics, you must go with, Low-Cholesterol , Low-sodium, and Low fat. Fruits that are a no no, are grapes and watermelon. I took care of my doctors aunt who was a diabetic. Before she passed, we had her off diabetic meds completely. Sweets are, ok but in moderation.

Omigosh, I am going insane reading this thread. I love it!!! I wanna make everything and shove it down my throat ... like ... RIGHT NOW!!! Anyway, I've made this Kale Casserole (from Casserole Queens) ... you can even go on Youtube and see it made in person. It is sooooo good ...

Baked Penne with Sausage and Kale

1 20-ounce package Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 pound whole wheat penne
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 cup 1% milk
1 pound dinosaur kale, stems discarded and leaves chopped
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
4 ounces part-skim mozzarella, shredded
2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated

1.Preheat oven to 350F. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
2.In a large sauté pan heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add Italian turkey sausage, break up into large chunks with a spoon, and cook until browned. Remove to a plate and reserve sauté pan.
3.While the sausage is browning cook the pasta till al dente. Drain pasta without discarding the pasta water and bring back to a boil.
4. To the reserved sauté pan add the additional 2 tablespoons of olive oil, onion, garlic, salt and pepper, cook until tender. Stir in the flour until a smooth paste forms. Whisk in milk and simmer until the mixture thickens.
5.While the sauce is thickening add the kale to the boiling water and cook until tender 3-4 minutes. Drain and reserve.
6.Once the sauce has thickened stir in the ricotta cheese, diced tomatoes and crushed red pepper. Season to taste.
7.To the sauce add the mozzarella, pasta, kale, and sausage and mix to combine. Pour into a 9x13-inch baking dish, top with Parmesan cheese and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.

Serves 6-8

MOUNTAIN DEW APPLE COBBLER
2 Granny Smith Apples (peel and slice into 8 sections each)
2 cans crescent rolls (1 can for each apple)
2 sticks butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups Mountain Dew
Cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Wrap each 1/8 apple section in crescent roll dough. Place in lightly greased baking dish. Melt butter & stir in sugar. Spread over apples. Pour Mountain Dew over apples. DO NOT STIR.

Sprinkle with cinnamon and chopped pecans.

Bake, uncovered, at 350°F for approximately 45 minutes.

Omigosh, I am going insane reading this thread. I love it!!! I wanna make everything and shove it down my throat ... like ... RIGHT NOW!!! Anyway, I've made this Kale Casserole (from Casserole Queens) ... you can even go on Youtube and see it made in person. It is sooooo good ...

Baked Penne with Sausage and Kale

1 20-ounce package Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 pound whole wheat penne
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 cup 1% milk
1 pound dinosaur kale, stems discarded and leaves chopped
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
4 ounces part-skim mozzarella, shredded
2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated

1.Preheat oven to 350F. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
2.In a large sauté pan heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add Italian turkey sausage, break up into large chunks with a spoon, and cook until browned. Remove to a plate and reserve sauté pan.
3.While the sausage is browning cook the pasta till al dente. Drain pasta without discarding the pasta water and bring back to a boil.
4. To the reserved sauté pan add the additional 2 tablespoons of olive oil, onion, garlic, salt and pepper, cook until tender. Stir in the flour until a smooth paste forms. Whisk in milk and simmer until the mixture thickens.
5.While the sauce is thickening add the kale to the boiling water and cook until tender 3-4 minutes. Drain and reserve.
6.Once the sauce has thickened stir in the ricotta cheese, diced tomatoes and crushed red pepper. Season to taste.
7.To the sauce add the mozzarella, pasta, kale, and sausage and mix to combine. Pour into a 9x13-inch baking dish, top with Parmesan cheese and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.

Serves 6-8

I've made this! Got the recipe from my Massachusetts SIL's!

Sent from my LG Spirit using Tapatalk 2

1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup sour cream
4 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup velveeta cheese or 8 ounces cut into pieces
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cook macaroni according to package directions and drain. Add butter and cheeses to macaroni and mix well Beat egg, milk, sour cream, pepper and salt together with a wire whisk. Add to macaroni and cheese. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and add macaroni. Cook covered with foil in a 350 degree preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes. This makes about six servings

Tomato bread. This stuff is soo good!

1 cup warm water
2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon oregano or Italian seasoning
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 cups tomato juice
3/4 cup oil (I use Canola, can use olive oil or whatever you like)
7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour

In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups of the flour with the sugar, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, basil, and oregano. Mix well with wire whisk. Add the yeast to the cup of warm water and mix to dissolve. Mix the yeast, tomato sauce, tomato juice and oil into the flour mixture with a spoon. Start adding flour a cup at a time until you can turn out onto a floured surface. This is a wet dough. Work in flour until you can pick up the dough and put in a large oiled bowl or crock to rise. (I use Canola oil generously to oil my crock) Turn the dough once so it is greased on both sides. Cover and let rise 45 minutes to an hour. I just put it on top of stove covered with a clean dish towel. Once the dough rises punch it down and divide between 3 oiled 9 x 5 bread pans, cover and let rise again about 45 more minutes. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes. Bread should sound hollow when you tap on it. Remove from oven and let sit about 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Makes 3 loaves.

I LOVEEEEEEE pea salad!

1 (16 ounce) package frozen sweet peas, thawed and uncooked (I have used canned peas, too)
2 eggs, hard boiled and chopped
4 to 6 slices of bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled or 1 cup ham, cooked and chopped, optional
1/2 cup chopped green onion (could use regular onion)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (can use any kind of cheese)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds or 1/2 cup celery, chopped
dash cayenne
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream

Combine uncooked, thawed peas, (I just thaw the peas in the microwave and drain) eggs, bacon or ham or both, onion, cheese, pepper, salt, garlic powder, celery seeds or celery and cayenne in a salad bowl. Mix in the mayonnaise and sour cream. Place in refrigerator for a couple of hours. Makes 6 to 8 servings. Enjoy.

This is so much better than the store bought.

1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk (can use regular milk) I think the evaporated milk makes it a richer pudding
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 egg yolks
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons butter or margarine

Mix milk, salt, egg yolks, cornstarch, sugar and vanilla in a pot on top of the stove with a wire whisk. Cut butter into small pieces and add to the pot. Cook on medium high heat until comes to boil and thickens stirring constantly with whisk. It will burn easily, so keep stirring. I cook mine about 4 or 5 minutes in all. You should be able to tell when it starts bubbling and gets thick. Pour into serving dishes. Let cool in refrigerator. Sprinkle on nutmeg or cinnamon and fruits of your choice for toppings. Makes about 4 servings, or enough for one pie.

My homemade Naan bread recipe

In small bowl combine:

1/2 cup luke warm water
1 tsp granulated sugar
1 pkg active dry yeast

Allow to sit until foamy, about 10 minutes.

In large mixing bowl, combine:

2 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp granulated sugar
1 tsp salt

Mix in well:

1 heaping Tbls plain full fat yogurt (plus 1 Tbls of the liquid whey)
1 tsp lard or shortening (lard is better)

Pour bowl of yeast water over flour mixture, mix in well, adding enough additional water to make a soft dough, you don't want a sticky dough but keep it on the moist side. Knead until smooth and elastic, 5 to 8 minutes, place in greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap that is moistened on the underside, drape kitchen towel over bowl and allow dough to rise for 1 hour or just doubled.

Gently deflate, on floured surface, roll or stretch golf ball sized pieces of dough into oblongs, about 4" x 2", lay on floured cookie sheet or other floured surface, cover lightly with clean towel or floured plastic wrap. Let rise until puffy, about 1/2 hour or so.

Heat flat griddle until water droplets dance on it. Dust spatula with flour, shake off excess and gently slide it under one naan, holding the other end with fingers and place on griddle. Cook until brown spots appear on bottom, flip and repeat, cooking until sides feel done but not hard. Cool on wire racks, serve while warm or reheat for 15 seconds in mic.

I like to toast them slightly over the gas burner to get a little char on the outsides, makes them taste even more authentic.

Growing up poor, we had to use our imaginations. Here is one of mom's awesome concoctions! :)

Corn salad
2 (16 ounce) pkgs. frozen whole kernel corn, cooked or fresh corn in summer
1 large red tomato, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
Salt to taste
Cook corn according to directions on box, drain, cool. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.

Mom always used fresh corn, but this is just as good.

Sitting here with a broke ankle & starving myself to death! :floorlaugh:

Coconut Pie

4 eggs, 1 3/4c. sugar, 1/2 c. flour, 1/4 c. melted butter, 2 c. milk, 1 1/2 c. shredded coconut, 1 tsp. vanilla

Combine ingredients in order given. Mix well. Pour into a greased 10" pie pan. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or til golden brown. The middle will appear soft, and if properly done, it will have a delicate crust over the top, sides, and bottom. It will be solid enough to cut after it has cooled. The center will be a perfect cream pie (it actually tastes kind of like a custard). *Do not overcook though, or it may turn out more like cake consistency.

Tulessa: Sorry to hear about your broken ankle! Hope you are okay. The green pea salad sounds good and I will try it soon!

I think we may be "souped out" at this point, but I made this yesterday and it turned out SO well that I thought I should post it. And it is easy.

FRENCH ONION SOUP
4 large onions (I used Vidalia), peeled, cut in half then sliced
4 tablespoons butter
Salt & Pepper
¼ teaspoon ground Thyme
1 teaspoon Sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced (I used 1 ½ tsp. jarred minced garlic, which is the equivalent)
1 cup sherry wine (I used Taylor’s Golden Sherry)
32 oz. liquid Beef stock
4 slices frozen “Texas toast with Cheese slices”- allow enough time for them to thaw before serving soup
8 slices Gruyere cheese (Can substitute with any Swiss cheese if necessary)

1.) Melt butter in large pot on Medium/low heat. Add sliced onions. Caramelize onions by cooking over medium/low heat for 25 minutes or so, stirring from time to time. Do not ever allow onions to stick to bottom of pot!
2.) About 10 minutes into onions cooking add salt, garlic, pepper, thyme and Worcestershire sauce, stirring all into onions. If you end up needing more butter, add additional by 1 tablespoon increments. Do not allow onions to burn. A little bit of browning is okay, but not a lot!
3.) When onions are soft and semi-clear add sherry wine and stir. Cook another 5 minutes on med/low.
4.) Add Beef stock, stirring well. Simmer for 20 minutes on low.
5.) Allow to cool somewhat, then taste for salt and pepper. If more of either is needed, add, and simmer another 10 minutes.
6.) Allow to cool down somewhat again. (Actually, if made ahead of time and allowed to cool completely and then reheated the taste is richer. If you taste this and it is not rich enough for your taste, add 1 tsp. beef bouillon and simmer for another 5 minutes.)

To serve: (Need to heat oven to “Broil” for this.)
1.) Ladle soup into 4 soup ramekins, dividing up onions and allowing room for toast slice to be placed on top of soup.
2.) Place one slice thawed Texas Toast with Cheese onto top of each soup portion.
3.) Place two slices of cheese over Texas Toast, arranging top piece of cheese at an angle to the first piece of cheese. The corners of the cheese will likely stick out over the ramekin. That’s okay, it will melt down over the side of the bowl.
4.) Place the ramekins onto a baking sheet. Broil for about 5minutes until cheese is melted and browned slightly. Keep your eye on this step! You do not want to burn the cheese. Cheese should be all melted and running down over sides of ramekin. (If you don’t like dealing with the heat of a broiler, you can just put this into a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. It will melt but won’t brown. That’s okay – it is still delicious.)

This is a delicious, sweet onion soup. I have made it when I have no Swiss cheese on hand. I've even used Mozzarella in a pinch. Some folks have used cheddar. I never have, but would not be shy about trying it. It is a great soup, with a delicate taste, without any cheese. The cheese just enhances it.

RE: Caramelizing the onions. This is really no big deal, unlike what a "gourmet cook" will tell you. (I have a relative who tells anyone who will listen, including waiters who serve us at restaurants, that she is a gourmet cook. Yet, when assigned to bring a green bean casserole dish to a family holiday dinner one year, she made it with canned green beans! At Christmastime! Yikes. My daughter has forever since referred to her as "the gourmet cook who uses canned green beans")

Anyway, dear daughter, who is a very good cook, advises that she will cut time by cooking onions in the microwave for 10 minutes on high, covered, first, then caramelizing them in a skillet with the butter.

Hey, these younger cooks know ALL the shortcuts!

Anyone know how to make green chili sauce (with pork). Had it once and can't get it out of my mind. I believe someone said it was a favorite in New Mexico. Any help sure would be appreciated.

I do know how since that is my favorite dish of all time. Chile Verde - Try searching Chile Verde recipes. My Mom's favorite was Chile Colorado which is a red sauce - would be her fave since she was born and raised in Colorado.

I found the best recipe for this in a little cookbook I bought in Solvang, CA many moons ago but I can't find it (moved many times since then). The name of that cookbook was something like "The Green and Red Chile Cookbook" (or maybe "The Red and Green Chile Cookbook"). The recipe involved browning pork tenderloin with the all-important Cumin powder and included using potatoes and carrots and chicken broth - Kinda like a stew.

Apple Pie Enchilada

1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water

Spoon about one heaping quarter cup of pie filling evenly down the center of each tortilla.
Sprinkle with cinnamon; roll up, tucking in edges; and place seam side down in prepared dish.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, white sugar, brown sugar and water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes.
Pour sauce over enchiladas and let stand 45 minutes.
Bake in preheated oven 20 minutes, or until golden.
Serve with vanilla ice cream

Eating one now! I immediately thought of you guys! These are to die for!

Ingredients:
1-1/2 pound bacon, cooked, drained, crumbled, and divided
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded) or to taste
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
1 tablespoons mustard
2 cups chopped seeded tomatoes
1-1/2 cup shredded Iceberg lettuce
pepper an salt to taste

Toasted bread rounds, crackers, or pita chips.

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350˚. Spray a 11⁄2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.

Set aside 3/4 cup crumbled bacon.

In a large bowl, combine remaining bacon, cream cheese, shredded cheeses, sour cream, mayonnaise, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and mustard. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle chopped tomatoes, remaining 3/4 cup crumbled bacon and lettuce over hot dip. Serve immediately with toasted bread rounds, crackers, or pita chips.

Thanks to all who have contributed....I have tried several of the recipes and my family has raved about each and every one!!

I'm just coming off of 3 months of Nutrisystem which, unfortunately, did not get me to my goal....so I'm still trying to eat less but feel just as full....always the trick, right?

Any help with low fat, low cal, Weight Watchers type YUMMY recipes would be very much appreciated by both me and the family!!! It's the YUMMY part that is killing me--lol!!!

Thanks again and TIA!!!

Thanks to all who have contributed....I have tried several of the recipes and my family has raved about each and every one!!

I'm just coming off of 3 months of Nutrisystem which, unfortunately, did not get me to my goal....so I'm still trying to eat less but feel just as full....always the trick, right?

Any help with low fat, low cal, Weight Watchers type YUMMY recipes would be very much appreciated by both me and the family!!! It's the YUMMY part that is killing me--lol!!!

Thanks again and TIA!!!

Was their food any good? I always wondered about those meals.

Overall, it's not bad....most of the meals are decent, some are really good and a few are downright tasty. Decent choice and variety as well; but no matter what, after about 2 months it just got really tiresome! The last month was just torture--especially since I didn't get to where I wanted to be, weight-wise.

I told my DH that I feel like they make everything taste just "ok" on purpose--so that I don't want to eat more of anything.

I'd done it before, about 6 years ago, and the food is vastly improved from then...much tastier, much better variety and many more frozen choices.

For me, a huge part of it was cost---the really fresh meal delivery programs are 3-4 times more expensive and just not in my range at all, so I knew there was not going to be any gourmet eating but NS fit my budget! lol!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Searching4Answers2
Back