trial recipe thread

Overall, it's not bad....most of the meals are decent, some are really good and a few are downright tasty. Decent choice and variety as well; but no matter what, after about 2 months it just got really tiresome! The last month was just torture--especially since I didn't get to where I wanted to be, weight-wise.

I told my DH that I feel like they make everything taste just "ok" on purpose--so that I don't want to eat more of anything.

I'd done it before, about 6 years ago, and the food is vastly improved from then...much tastier, much better variety and many more frozen choices.

For me, a huge part of it was cost---the really fresh meal delivery programs are 3-4 times more expensive and just not in my range at all, so I knew there was not going to be any gourmet eating but NS fit my budget! lol!

I noticed the other day, that they are now selling the Nutri-system 5 day food packs at Wally World, I think $44.95 for a 5 day supply...

Was their food any good? I always wondered about those meals.

I lost 54 pounds on Nutrisystem!

You quickly learn how to "enhance" the meals with extra vegetables and seasonings. I ended up liking most of the food, but with my extras. I think people who dislike the food are eating it right out of the packaging as is.

They also have frozen food selections now - I have not tried them - they are probably good.

Thanks to all who have contributed....I have tried several of the recipes and my family has raved about each and every one!!

I'm just coming off of 3 months of Nutrisystem which, unfortunately, did not get me to my goal....so I'm still trying to eat less but feel just as full....always the trick, right?

Any help with low fat, low cal, Weight Watchers type YUMMY recipes would be very much appreciated by both me and the family!!! It's the YUMMY part that is killing me--lol!!!

Thanks again and TIA!!!

This really helps with the sweet cravings ...

Sugar free jello - any flavour, set

Topping: Skim milk power
Water
Artificial sweetener

Whip the water, skim milk powder, and sweetener together, adding the water gradually in a blender, to the desired consistency.

Turns out just like a dessert topping.

If you like other flavours, use cinnamon, coffee, cocoa, vanilla extract.

Also nice on top of iced coffee or sugar free hot chocolate.

You can add a couple of ice chips in the blender to make it colder.

:seeya:

Question????? The Cheesecake Factory has the best dark brown bread, slightly sweet. I have searched online to try and find a recipe and can't find anything. It's not something new because I remember having it as a child in PA. It looks like pumpernickel flour with maybe some molasses to sweeten it up a bit. Hoping someone has a recipe they are willing to share. You often see it served it oat flakes on top. It really is good warm with butter.

Lamb hop if you do a search for KopyKat Cheesecake Factory brown bread quite a few recipes come up.

Question????? The Cheesecake Factory has the best dark brown bread, slightly sweet. I have searched online to try and find a recipe and can't find anything. It's not something new because I remember having it as a child in PA. It looks like pumpernickel flour with maybe some molasses to sweeten it up a bit. Hoping someone has a recipe they are willing to share. You often see it served it oat flakes on top. It really is good warm with butter.

Omigosh. I would LOVE a recipe for this also. It sounds delicious. I remember when I was young (teen, about 50 years ago) we used to buy a brown bread (with molasses in it - very dark brown) and it was soooo good. I've never been able to find anything like it. I would make it myself if I had a recipe. I also like pumpernickel bread, but hubby doesn't like the caraway seeds ..

Cheesecake Factory Brown Bread Copycat Recipe

Ingredients

1-1/2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup Molasses
2 cups bread flour
1-2/3 cups wheat flour
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons instant coffee
1 teaspoon salt
2-1/4 teaspoons yeast (1 pkg.)
cornmeal, for the top

Cooking Instructions

Place all ingredients in a bread machine in the order listed above and use the dough setting.

When it is done, let it rise for about an hour.

When the dough is twice its original size, punch it down and split it into rolls. If you want authentic Outback size, make about 8 tubular loaves. I prefer to make 12 rolls. The dough is sticky, so make sure you use a well-floured cookie sheet and plenty of flour on your hands.

Sprinkle the entire surface of the loaves with cornmeal and then let them rise again.

Bake for 20-24 minutes at 350.

Low-Fat Chocolate Frozen Yogurt Shake

3 cups cold skim milk
1 (3 1/2 oz) chocolate instant pudding mix (sugar-free if desired)
1 1/2 cups non-fat vanilla frozen yogurt

1. Pour skim milk in blender
2. Add in instant pudding mix and frozen yogurt
3. Blend 15 seconds
4. Pour, stir, and serve

This method makes nice clear iced tea
1 Gallon jug
3 Quarts of cool tap water
3 Liptons Cold Brew tea bags (large)
1 Quart of apple juice coctail
4 Ounces Raspberry or Peach syrup.

Fill gallon jug with 3 quarts of tap water.
Add 3 large tea bags
Let stand about an hour
Squeeze out tea bage
Add apple juice
Add syrup.
Refrigerate.
Serve over ice.
Yummmm...clear and refreshin

Will he share his recipe??? I love ribs!

Absolutely! Here's the rub recipe:

1/2 C brown sugar
3 TBSP Cocoa powder
1 TBSP onion powder
1 TBSP Kosher salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Rub onto both sides of ribs and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Brush with BBQ sauce and cook for an additional 20 minutes, brushing with additional BBQ sauce occasionally. (If using the BBQ bake at medium-high heat).

Beef Brisket 101:

CITRUS RUB
6 tbsp sea salt
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground thyme
1 tsp mustard powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 large orange, juiced & zested
Whisk all spices together. Grate orange zest into the spice mix. Apply to meat. Save orange juice for the braising liquid.

BRAISING LIQUID
4 cups beef broth
1 cup soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
Juice from one orange
Coat brisket well with CITRUS RUB. Sear brisket on very high heat on the barbecue. Next, set in a deep pan and pour braising liquid over top. Heat barbecue to medium-high heat and set brisket on opposite side of the fire with fat side up. Maintain barbecue temperature between 180° F and 220° F and smoke 1 - 1¼ hours per pound, turning every 30 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let sit for 20 minutes before slicing across the grain when meat is tender and falling apart. Drizzle with a little braising liquid. Great served on fresh kaiser rolls with fresh sliced tomato and sharp cheddar.

Today I thin sliced an onion to put in the liquid as well for flavor. Instead of doing it on the BBQ I brown it on the stove, and cook it at 300 degrees in the oven. Yummy.

Dill Pickle Soup

Ingredients:
5-1/2 cups chicken broth
1-3/4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
2 cups chopped carrots (smaller dice)
1 cup chopped dill pickles (smaller dice ~ about 3 large whole dills)
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup water
2 cups dill pickle juice*
1-1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Garnish (optional)
sliced dill pickles
fresh dill
black pepper
Directions:
In a large pot, combine broth, potatoes, carrots and butter. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender. Add pickles and continue to simmer.
In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sour cream and water, making a paste. Vigorously whisk sour cream mixture (2 Tablespoons at a time) into soup. (This will also break up some of your potatoes which is okay. You might see some initial little balls of flour form but between the whisking and boiling all will disappear. Don't panic.)
Add pickle juice, Old Bay, salt (*see below), pepper and cayenne. Cook 5 more minutes and remove from heat. Serve immediately.
*All pickle juice is not created equal. Some is saltier than others. Taste your soup after adding the pickle juice and final seasonings. It's possible you will not need any salt or would prefer more or less.

Ingredients:

3 cups shredded hash browns
4 Tbs. butter, melted and divided
1 cup chopped ham (or you could use browned sausage or crisp cooked bacon)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup half and half
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
dash seasoned salt
dash Tabasco sauce

Thaw hash browns and then press between paper towels to remove any excess moisture. If you don't do this, the crust will be a little soggy. Just get the extra moisture out of them, they don't have to be completely dry.

Melt the 3 Tbs. of the butter in a deep pie plate or a quiche dish

Toss the hash browns with the butter to coat and then press in the pie plate like a crust. Make sure to go up the sides. Pat until it is tight. Place in a preheated 450 degree oven for about 25 minutes until it is just browning and crispy. Watch in the last 5 minutes and don't let it burn or brown too much.
Saute the chopped ham in a about 1 Tbs butter until it's just slightly browned.
Place the browned ham in the potato crust once you remove it from the oven.
Mix all of the other ingredients and pour over the ham. Make sure the cheese is distributed evenly over all. I place the pie plate or quiche dish on a cookie sheet or pizza pan before filling it. This will catch any spillovers and make it easier to take it in and out of the oven. Reduce the temperature of the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the quiche for 30 minutes. It should be just browning on top when done.

I made these over the weekend and they were SO good! Definitely making again soon.

4 large bell peppers, any color
1 pound of very lean ground beef
1/2 of a large onion, diced
1 cup of cooked rice, either white or brown rice works
about 3/4 cup of tomato sauce- from an 8 ounce can
1/4 cup diced tomato, small dice
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, or 1 clove of minced garlic
1 T. fresh parsley, diced, if desired
salt and pepper to taste
In a large skillet over medium high heat, brown the ground beef and the onion. Drain off any fat. Add the 1 cup of cooked rice, 3/4 cup of tomato sauce, diced tomato, garlic, parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Stir and simmer while preparing the peppers. Cut the tops off of the peppers and remove the seeds and membranes. Place peppers in a baking pan with fairly high sides(about 2 inches). Spoon the beef filling into the peppers, packing down somewhat, to the top. There should be a little tomato sauce left in the can, so fill the can about 3/4 full with water and pour it into the bottom of the baking dish. Cover the pan tightly with foil. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45-50 minutes. Check to see if the peppers are tender. If not, cover and bake another 5-10 minutes. Remove foil and add a little cheese on top of each pepper, if desired. Bake just til cheese melts. Don't let it get rubbery like I did!

OMG Just made these and they are to die for!!

stuffed mushrooms!

1 pkg. cream cheese
1 lb. bacon, cooked and chopped
1 bundle chopped green onion
1 handful shredded cheddar cheese
Mushrooms (of course!)

Clean and take the stems out of the mushrooms
Combine remaining ingredients and place a small amount in each mushroom cap
Bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes -

Eating now. Addicted!!

NO BAKE Pumpkin Pie Recipe ~

What You Need
1 pkg. (8 oz.) Cream Cheese, softened
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed, divided
1 Premade Graham Cracker Pie Crust (6 oz.)

Make It
BEAT cream cheese, pumpkin, sugar and pumpkin pie spice with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Gently stir in 2-1/2 cups of the whipped topping. Cover and refrigerate remaining whipped topping for later use.

SPOON cream cheese mixture into crust.

REFRIGERATE 3 hours or overnight. Serve topped with remaining whipped topping. Store leftover cheesecake in refrigerator..

1 head of cabbage, chopped
1 pound of bacon*
1 large onion, chopped
2-3 large handfuls of egg noodles*
Black pepper

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels, then break into bite-sized pieces. (Warning: there’s a chance that you could end up snacking on the bacon bits while you’re finishing dinner. It’s been known to happen here.)

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to boil for the egg noodles. Add the noodles and cook until done. Drain the noodles and set aside.

Drain some of the bacon fat from the pan, reserving enough to cook the onions. Add the chopped onion to the pan and cook for about 1-2 minutes, or until the onions begin to soften. Add the cabbage to the skillet and cook until tender, stirring occasionally. When the cabbage is tender, add the egg noodles and bacon, mixing thoroughly. Season with pepper. Serve immediately.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod
Back