TX - Longview, WhtFem (UP 9863), 41-50, Suicide - Assumed Identity, Dec'10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I would LOVE to hear what either of these two men say now. There would for sure be things she said or did that didn't seem significant back then that might give more clues now. They have a lot more to "draw from" trying to find out who this woman was.

Wait... a former boyfriend came forward saying he knew her? Where was this posted?

402 could stand for many things....

.... 4 02 April 2nd
.... 402 is also a highway in Canada connecting Sarnia to London, ON.

I can't relocate some of the details, but they must have come from the Seattle paper, or maybe there were other papers that had a couple more details. The former boyfriend was the one she used for a reference for her college loan applications in Texas, I think. He knew her when she worked at a Gentleman's Club, if I remember right. He said she had more problems than he could deal with.
I'm also sure that Blake said she had a dental plate at some point. If I find these comments I'll post a link.

Yes, and who would write a letter of of reference without even dating it? Also, using the terms "from high school " and "after graduation" is odd and vague for a legit letter of reference. A little strange too that there are no phone numbers provided by this "employer/landlord". Idk, the whole thing sounds like something a naive teenager might come up with, IMO.

I thought the same thing. Like a teenager who didn't know what was supposed to go in a reference letter.

On the other hand, perhaps it was very carefully crafted to say what she needed it to say, without revealing too much.

Why would Jane Doe want to manufacture an employment / rental history from Thailand of all places? Another strange thing. Was it her way of distancing herself from her real identity and past, or because she believed it would be harder to track down and verify, or possibly both.

I think a little of both. Thailand is (with Daylight Savings Time) 12 hours offset of Texas. Unless the prospective employer/landlord is willing to check up after hours....

The Oriental (Mandarin Oriental as of 2008) is one of the (if not the) poshest hotels in Bangkok. I think someone mentioned once wanting to know what kind of paper it was on, and I don't recall seeing an answer--if it was actually hotel stationery, then did she know someone who worked there, or went there? Maybe her father (the failed stockbroker, if real) traveled to Thailand for business? (I'm mustarding, ha ha ha)

tcg

I feel sure that mental illness played a significant role in this case, coupled then with her circumstances. How else could a mother do such a thing to her precious baby girl. Such a sad and tragic case. This poor woman, LEK / Jane Doe, at least in her mind, had reached the point of such despair, had come to the end of her rope. So, so sad. It seems she just wanted to finally go home, which for some reason brings to mind this song from one of my favorite movies "Trip to Bountiful" written by Horton Foote, with Geraldine Page and John Heard. Strangely, the young mother running through the fields really reminds me of our LEK.

Softly and Tenderly Jesus Is Calling - YouTube

I thought the same thing. Like a teenager who didn't know what was supposed to go in a reference letter.

On the other hand, perhaps it was very carefully crafted to say what she needed it to say, without revealing too much.

I think a little of both. Thailand is (with Daylight Savings Time) 12 hours offset of Texas. Unless the prospective employer/landlord is willing to check up after hours....

The Oriental (Mandarin Oriental as of 2008) is one of the (if not the) poshest hotels in Bangkok. I think someone mentioned once wanting to know what kind of paper it was on, and I don't recall seeing an answer--if it was actually hotel stationery, then did she know someone who worked there, or went there? Maybe her father (the failed stockbroker, if real) traveled to Thailand for business? (I'm mustarding, ha ha ha)

tcg

Well, let's face it, with what little information we really have, I think it's safe to say that we are all just shooting from the hip here, lol. :wave:

Also, are we to assume that by the numbered chart her fictious age gaps for her Father & Mother was 58 years and 46 years? Who the heck would buy that as a story?

I don't buy the bulimia angle too much. She showed great discipline in keeping her secret and control--underscoring her extremely controlling nature. Although some would argue bulimia is a disorder that is in concert with control issues.

I think bulimia sounds very plausible. She seems to have been very concerned with her appearance (breast implants, what appears to be veneers). Eating disorders are also known to be a way for a person to feel like they have some control in their lives when other aspects of their lives are out of their control.

But bulimia is generally a very out-of-control eating disorder. Starving yourself can give you the illusion of control, but bulimia is impulsive and chaotic and crazy. It's eating out of control, and then throwing it up, and it's a very hard to stop cycle. The out of control eating is almost a bigger hallmark than the actual purging.

I'd say veneers to cover up the damage would not be unlikely though, but I forget where the bulimia was mentioned before? Did we have a solid reason to assume she had issues with that?

Hey, Just checking in to see if there were any new developments.
That was me that said we should ask what kind of paper the Letter of Reference was printed on, originally. I used to work at a hotel. And the blank with logo stationery they used was heavyweight high quality paper. (only accessible by management and employees.)
However, I assumed that she made many copies of this letter of reference. Only because if you look at the "reverse spectrum" images someone posted earlier in the thread; You can clearly see the old style copy machine ink dots. (if that makes any sense). Which tells me there IS an original out there somewhere. But this one is most likely on regular copy paper. JMHO

One thing I'd like to ask everyone that I have not seen touched on at all: The parachuting certificate. It certainly doesn't fit what we know about FLEK. However, the Witness signature looks to be that of a woman named Christine Shaver. There are women in the Dallas/Texas area who have this name. Was she a friend of FLEK or simply someone who worked at the school? Would this lead be worth following?

Welcome to Websleuths!
In this case ANY lead is worth pursuing.

The witness unfortunately is associated with FLEK/LEK after she arrived in Dallas (no one has yet come up with someone who knew her before she walked into the Idaho DMV to pick up her ID card), but pictures abound from things like parachuting events and at the least the witness may have other pix of FLEK/LEK. We have few.

I admit I have not looked at the parachute certificate other than a glance. Was this a tandem jump or a powered parachute?

Does anyone know someone with USA Today? If FLEK/LEK's picture was in there this might actually be solved quickly. We need to persuade them to run the story.

Welcome to Websleuths!
In this case ANY lead is worth pursuing.

The witness unfortunately is associated with FLEK/LEK after she arrived in Dallas (no one has yet come up with someone who knew her before she walked into the Idaho DMV to pick up her ID card), but pictures abound from things like parachuting events and at the least the witness may have other pix of FLEK/LEK. We have few.

I admit I have not looked at the parachute certificate other than a glance. Was this a tandem jump or a powered parachute?

Tandem jump. Also, even though we are ultimately looking for her life prior to the name changes, it still helps to fill information gaps by establishing what she was doing in the years before her marriage.

Couple questions.
The 'worksheet' with the ages, what are your thoughts on it? Look like she was trying to figure out how old BST's parents would be in 1990. Why? what was she doing? Using it to calculate the birth year of the parents? If so, why didn't she continue? She obviously was trying to get back to the ages on the birth certificate, she stopped counting backwards once she reached the ages on the birth certificate. Why?

Also, are the birthdates of BST's parents correct on the passport applications? If so, where did those come from? I don't see them anywhere else.

If LEK really ever had bulimia then that may be the reason for the veneers. My mom and a first cousin both suffered with bulimia for many years and both had to have veneers because of the stomach acids eating the enamel from the surface of their teeth. One thing I did notice was that in some photos LEK's teeth look better than in others. I think it was the one in the pink hat in particular that they looked stained. Was it some kind of removable veneer or plate? I know there was mention of a dental plate but couldn't recall which teeth it was supposed to be.
I also noticed that in earlier photos LEK appears to be more the age she is stating that she is, but in the last couple of driver's license photos she looks older than her stated age. In one of them it may be due to weight gain from the pregnancy, and in the other she looks slimmer but still closer to 50. Also in the photos of her with the business women I feel she looks close to 50.

Interesting. I was looking on Ancestry.com for Robert A. King, all I find is a death record, gravesite, and Census record from 1940. Haven't had time to look further. I did come across an Eric A. King., but he wasn't listed in the census for Robert A.
Eric A. was about 52 y/o when he died in 1988. Frustrating I'm not able to pull up the obituaries for either one, I keep getting "Server Error":banghead:

Maybe it's something to do with my computer, perhaps someone else can try who has an Ancestry membership? I don't know what to think, other than I'm sure this is probably grasping at straws, lol, but FWIW, here is a stockbroker who committed suicide in 1987, and there is an Eric A. Any relation? Does it have anything to do with LEK? who knows....:crazy:

Anyway, Eric A. immigrated from Ireland and applied for naturalized citizenship in 1985. Unfortunately there are no census records on him and his family available, at least I assume so, and none I can find.

Eric A's previous addresses are shown as:

4914 S 368th St, Auburn, WA, 98001-8861 (1992) ? (family member?)
[1530 Vista Dr, Puyallup, WA, 98372-5103]
[3331 South St 92nd, Tacoma, WA, 98402 (1987)]
[3331 South St 92nd, Tacoma, WA, 98498 (1987)]

He lived in Puyallup? That certainly connects him to LEK. Interesting.

Bear with me, I'm thinking as I type here so I'm hoping it will make some sort of sense!

The sheet with the ages of BST's parents on it, if that's indeed what it is- I can't stop thinking we're missing something about it. I mean, why would it be so relevant to LEK that she would keep it in the box along with the ID cards. Why would she need to work out their ages at any point? At first I thought maybe she was trying to memorise her (fake) parents ages at certain points/years in case someone started asking too many questions about her family history, but since no one in her 'new' life (husband, in-laws etc) knew she ever was BST (and she only ever 'was' her for just a few weeks anyway), it's not like she had to be accurate or stick to the facts is it is it?!

And I noticed there seems to be 3 workings on the page. It kind of looks like there's a section working from (19)90-(19)69 (D for Dad?) on the left, and (19)89-(19)67 (M for Mum?) on the right. But in the middle she's written (19)90-(19)70. Could they be the dates/ages for another person?! It strikes me that if she realised she'd worked out something wrong for either parent and started again, she would have at the very least crossed it out, so as to prevent confusion later. Yet this paper with potentially 3 year/age workings was precious/important/secret enough to keep in a locked box!?

Since the counting backwards begins at 90 or 89, you could suggest the note itself was written in 1990 or 1989 and she was working out their ages in the present day. But, since the birth certificate states their ages in 1969 when the real BST was born (22 and 27), and assuming she's writing top to bottom and left to right, it's like she's working it out the wrong way round. ie. If I wanted to know how old someone was in 1990 and I knew they were 22 in 1969, my workings would start at 1969 and work up (69-22, 70-23, 71-24 etc.), not start at 1990 and work down. Does that make any sense?!

It might not be helpful, but it's certainly curious and has got me thinking, maybe that piece of paper is more important than we realise and maybe we're missing something?!

Wow, I've made my brain hurt! Any thoughts? :scared:

Couple questions.
The 'worksheet' with the ages, what are your thoughts on it? Look like she was trying to figure out how old BST's parents would be in 1990. Why? what was she doing? Using it to calculate the birth year of the parents? If so, why didn't she continue? She obviously was trying to get back to the ages on the birth certificate, she stopped counting backwards once she reached the ages on the birth certificate. Why?

Also, are the birthdates of BST's parents correct on the passport applications? If so, where did those come from? I don't see them anywhere else.

The ages of the parents are listed on the birth certificate (mother 22, father 27). I think she was trying to calculate how old they would be now (i.e. 1989-90), and ages in between (otherwise a simple calculator would have done the trick; a list would not be needed). I don't see birthdates, either, so it seems likely they are fabricated, unless she did additional research that she did not keep.

tcg

I thought of another way FLEK could go missing undetected. Say FLEK has older parents, family members. She meets a guy from across the country, marries him, moves to his hometown, loses touch with classmates. This would result in one name change. The marriage fizzles in less than a year, and she moves out... to which his family, friends,etc are relieved because they never liked her anyway. She goes on to start a new life, moving to Dallas, and starting her dancing career. Her family thinks she's living in the area she originally moved, and maybe they have passed away, or don't know how to get in touch with her, and her short-term husband's family is glad she's gone, and certainly aren't reporting her missing when no one's heard of her.

She could have moved around a lot as a kid. I went to the same school 1-12th grade. I know I remember kids that came in for a year or so, and then left, not making any lasting friendships, etc. No one knows where they moved on to, and no "high school reunion" committee is really even looking for them, especially if she didn't graduate.

I think the absolute best chance of identifying her is someone from her early life seeing her picture, recognizing her, and reporting it. Absolute best chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
undefined.value