Verdict is in

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Respectfully snipped and BBM*

Very O/T but I HAVE to ask.....
Would your name be in reference to the wonderful and quite delicious :blushing: Norman Reedus (Daryl from the Walking Dead)?

No, and am embarrassed to say I had to google norman reedus. Maybe I will lay claim in the future. :floorlaugh:

Earlier I mentioned that shooting someone in the arm or leg would be against the law because that would mean that you do not feel in imminent danger.

When in imminent danger you may only shoot to end the threat.

We cannot tolerate this idea of warning shots as that means rounds are being shot in the air and can hit a totally innocent person.

You ONLY shoot in total control at the target you intend to hit and subdue..

This is why they tell you over and over - don't pull out the gun unless you are prepared to use it. You can shoot to wound to end the threat though. It is not recommended by an LEO I've known or class I've ever taken. And I saw the movie "Halloween" and they shot that guy like 50 times and he still got up.

I agree warning shots are very dangerous - but that case seriously requires more of a slap on the wrist for her IMO.

This is why they tell you over and over - don't pull out the gun unless you are prepared to use it. You can shoot to wound to end the threat though. It is not recommended by an LEO I've known or class I've ever taken. And I saw the movie "Halloween" and they shot that guy like 50 times and he still got up.

I agree warning shots are very dangerous - but that case seriously requires more of a slap on the wrist for her IMO.

Warning shots are dangerous. But 20 years?

I'm kinda afraid to voice my opinion here, it goes against the majority. I think the right verdict was reached. But as I heard it read, my heart went out to both sides...TM's family and their pain and also to GZ as he will forever be judged. Really there are no winners here, a young man is still dead and that's sad.

BBM

Not really. The Sanford LE and government showed some incompetence in interviewing witnesses, collecting evidence and securing evidence, and cowering to the political wind of the moment. Angela Corey and Rick Scott look bad. A $1 million+ trial, that should have never been charged due to lack of evidence. A sizable portion of the country outraged at Florida, because the US media, especially cable news organizations could be handled to get any of the facts of the case right from the first day.

The only good that could come out of this is better protocols to treat all homicides as worthy of a vigorous investigation, even if they may appear as justifiable at first glance. IMO

I don't think Rick Scott had any choice in this. I think pressure was put on him and he had to move forward by bringing in Angela Corey. MOO

All PD are on alert from Miami up to the pan handle..I would suppose some major cities as well across the country..My son in law is now in SWAT gear Coral Springs and shall be in gear until calm is assured

I think that's why GZ had such a serious look on his face, and was just walking straight out of there. He knows what could potentially happen, :( Wasn't he getting threats before? So now he's thinking of not so much a victory, but of going into hiding, once again.

It's 11:11 here in texas...time to make a wish before 11:12.

Wishing for a good night s rest for us all...

Good night everyone....

Forgive me if this has been stated already as I don't have time to catch up. I'm happy GZ was set free, and it's a shame all the way around the incident even happened. I think a lot of people, and not necessarily WSers have missed the other big tragedy here. LE investigated this case in the beginning and found nothing to dispute GZ's claims of self defense. It wasn't until civil rights lawyers, and activists got involved and AC buckled under the pressure of the same that this initial unfortunate happenstance turned racial and political.
There are more victims here besides GZ and TM, look deeply at those who lost jobs once it turned to a political witch hunt. Others who didn't lose their jobs got demoted, the mayor is a fraid for his life and that of his wife and family. This didn't stop where it should have, the flames were fanned by political power and pressure from special agenda groups, and GZ was going to be their sacrificial lamb. IMHO a tragedy did turn into a travesty.

The tragedy and travesty IMO started within minutes of Trayvon's death.
His dying body lying in the rain with no cover and no ambulance. Taking photos of his fruit drink on his dead body. No questions. NOBODY cared, closed his eyes, prayed for him as he died.

No investigation other than writing down GZ's account. A John Doe tag attached.
THAT is the inequality, the disregard, the inhumanity. It wasn't about persecuting GZ it was about CARING WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS BOY and not just pretending to by LE and the State of Florida. Until the public outcry, no one did.

**Don't anyone correct my use of the word boy. Just don't.

WIllenfan, can you give links re: Miami and Chicago? The only thing I've seen in Chicago is a bunch of folks walking around yelling "NOT ONE MORE".

Thanks...

Best-
Herding Cats

Can't find a single news report on any actual riots happening. Just a bunch of fear mongering.

While that might be true, it's also very unfair. Jury doesn't have an option to vote "innocent." So it would be impossible to find someone put on trial innocent, even if this person actually is innocent.

That's why I always say the only answer that trials provide is whether or not a person is going to jail. That might be an overstatement, but not always are definitive answers to such ultimate questions ever provided.

ETA-Part of the reason there isn't that option is because that would actually shift the burden of proof to the defense and even though I don't agree with this verdict, it would be wrong to put the burden of proof on a defendant to establish innocence.

Earlier I mentioned that shooting someone in the arm or leg would be against the law because that would mean that you do not feel in imminent danger.

When in imminent danger you may only shoot to end the threat.

We cannot tolerate this idea of warning shots as that means rounds are being shot in the air and can hit a totally innocent person.

You ONLY shoot in total control at the target you intend to hit and subdue..

Yep, what Pinkfly said. True.

In my opinion, the Martin family got their way. They just wanted a trial. They got it. The jurors decided. I would hope that they accept the juror's decision.

I'm kinda afraid to voice my opinion here, it goes against the majority. I think the right verdict was reached. But as I heard it read, my heart went out to both sides...TM's family and their pain and also to GZ as he will forever be judged. Really there are no winners here, a young man is still dead and that's sad.

Totally agree with you, Venom!

Quote:
. Too many angry people who hate their neighbors carrying guns around.

RSBM: I disagree. I am not angry- and my weapon is also to protect my neighbors. The majority of my community is armed. We have few "stranger" crimes here. Why? Few criminals are that stupid.

I do not understand the personal anger and justification for violence against Mr. Zimmerman.

If one does not like the law, work to change that law.

Edited to add: The laws that allow CC and open carry in my county and state are laws the people in my community and state voted for.

The tragedy and travesty IMO started within minutes of Trayvon's death.
His dying body lying in the rain with no cover and no ambulance. Taking photos of his fruit drink on his dead body. No questions. NOBODY cared, closed his eyes, prayed for him as he died.

No investigation other than writing down GZ's account. A John Doe tag attached.
THAT is the inequality, the disregard, the inhumanity. It wasn't about persecuting GZ it was about CARING WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS BOY and not just pretending to by LE and the State of Florida. Until the public outcry, no one did.

**Don't anyone correct my use of the word boy. Just don't.

I understand how you feel. I do. But At that point the body becomes evidence and there is procedure that has to be followed as to not destroy evidence. The police did work on him. Did CPR and I do believe that the EMT's pronounced him at the scene.

IT is normal procedure to leave the body as it lays to gather evidence. I don't think that was disrespectful but procedure. It happens in any questionable death.

Warning shots are dangerous. But 20 years?

Exactly. I think (not sure) that is another of a state's mandatory minimums having to do with firearms. States have gone all firearm crazy and using a firearm can get you more time than murder. I am all for being tough on crime, but the mandatory minimums take it OUT of the judges sentencing control. There should be some leeway for cases such as this IMO. Call your legislator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeDelegatie