GUILTY GA - Eight family members brutally murdered in Brunswick home, 29 Aug 2009

Ok for those that are interested I finally found a live blog from a reporter who is updating continuously.

They have now taken a 50 minute lunch break.

The evidence is horrific that is being entered.

This is the last entry before lunch break.

By Terry Dickson

11 a.m.

Georgia Bureau of Investigation regional medical examiner Edmund Donoghue, who has performed more than 9,000 autopsies, went to New Hope Plantation Mobile Home Park Aug.29, 2009, where seven people had been beaten to death, he testified during Guy Heinze Jr.’s death penalty murder trial.

One victim, Michael Toler, 19, died the next day.

Donoghue said he suited up to prevent contamination and looked at seven bodies.

“I could tell they all had head injuries’’ he said.

He and his staff performed autopsies on the eight victims the next two days at the GBI crime lab in Savannah, he said.

Donoghue identified photos as Guy Heinze Sr. dressed only in tan shorts before an autopsy was done on his body.

“There were 22 evidences of external injuries,’’ he testified of the autopsy, and he precisely identified bruises, lacerations, abrasions and other marks on Heinze Sr.’s head, neck, back, arm, shoulder and face.

The elder Heinze’s right ear had been torn away completely, he said

All the injuries were on the right side of the body, Donoghue testified.

There were 17 internal injuries, among them a fractured cheek bone, multiple and extensive skull fractures and lacerations to the brain from the pieces of broken bone, he testified.

The jury got a bit of relief when Judge Stephen Scarlett interjected and ordered a recess.

“This is probably a good time,’’ he said. “Their lunch is here.”

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/georgi...th-penalty-murder-trial-reopens#ixzz2htwvnrPK

I am so mad I am not in Georgia watching this trial.

Anyway it at least we have Terry Dickson. Someone cares.

I must say I am rather shocked this case isn't getting more attention.

It is one of the worst mass murder bludgeoning cases in the nation. Yet no one comments much or seems to be keeping up with it. Strange and makes me wonder why.

When it first happened many posters were totally interested.

Why do you think there is such disinterest now?

tia

IMO

And it took me until this morning to even find his blog Soul.

It breaks my heart that these victims aren't getting the attention they deserve. Is it because they were poor southern white people living in a tiny trailer?:( I just don't understand it.

All nine of these victims deserve justice. Every one of their lives mattered and they were loved by many.

IMO

The elder Heinze’s right ear had been torn away completely, he said

This part made me tear up. Such brutality shown against Sr. when so many that knew him said he was a good man and even though he was a poor man he tried hard to do the best he could for his family which included Rusty and his family who he thought of as his own.:(

-

By Terry Dickson

12:50 a.m.

As jurors looked at large projected images from Guy Heinze Sr.'s autopsy, GBI medical examiner Edmund Donoghue explained what they were seeing. He testified that some of the marks on Heinze's body were cockroach bites and that he had died of brain injuries from blunt force trama.

All of the injuries were on the right side of the head where jurors saw a completely black eye, his purple ear that had been torn off and deep purple bruises on his scalp.

In examining the body of Russell Toler Jr., he found evidence of 36 external injuries, Donoghue testified.

Toler, the son of Russell Toler Sr., also a victim, had been stabbed in the face and neck, Donoghue said.

Toler Jr. also had several teeth knocked out, he testified.

He had a slanting stab wound in the back, but it appears the injury occurred after Toler Jr.s death, he said.

There was also evidence of 14 internal injuries, including several skull fractures that resuted in bone fragments being driven into Toler's brain, Donoghue testified.

Like Heinze Sr., Toler had inhaled his own blood, he said.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/georgia...#ixzz2huIymJ1w

What a horrific crime. Thanks obe for bringing this to attention. Poor Victims. My heart goes out to the Jurors too.

I wonder how long an attack would have lasted on each person.

22 injury marks on Russel Sr, 36 on Jr plus stab wounds .

We cannot ever know if there were 34 strikes or 15 plus additional injuries from bumping or debris flying or falling .

Which makes it really hard to even attempt to put a time of each single attack. No way to know how much information will be blogged.

I would guess Russel Jr's took at least a minute and a half .

Anyway we had guessed at the fans being on at the time of the murder and the blog states that the fans were running when a victim was found.

I wonder how long an attack would have lasted on each person.

22 injury marks on Russel Sr, 36 on Jr plus stab wounds .

We cannot ever know if there were 34 strikes or 15 plus additional injuries from bumping or debris flying or falling .

Which makes it really hard to even attempt to put a time of each single attack. No way to know how much information will be blogged.

I think the ME would know the difference since most of these victims died where they were murdered.

How long would it take to wield this many blows? Not long at all. Less than a minute or so imo. Just put something over your head in your hand and come down as many times as you can repeatedly and in a minute many blows can be done. Of course then we have to add the (crack cocaine) drugs he was using that night that would make him stronger and even more rageful into the killing monster he became.

IMO

I though it was interesting that Stalvey stated this.
Stalvey acknowledged he interviewed Heinze even though he had seen the bloody crime scene and had admitted using drugs.

Stalvey said he went forward with the interview because Heinze was not a suspect at the time.

"You knew Mr. Heinze was traumatized and under the influence of drugs, but you went ahead with the interview anyway,'' Hamilton said.

Stalvey responded Heinze didn't appear traumatized, but Hamilton pointed out he had just found his family murdered.

"I've been in this business a long time and you'd be surprised at how people react..." Stalvey said.

"He may have been traumatized, but I was at a crime scene where a lot of people had been murdered,'' and, Stalvey said, he was doing all he could to find out who did it.

"He never became a suspect to me,'' Stalvey said.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/georgi...th-penalty-murder-trial-reopens#ixzz2huSg31jI

1:45 p.m.

As GBI medical examiner Edmund Donoghue continued detailing Russell Toler Jr.s injuries, a couple of women who are family members left the courtroom.

Having said Russell Toler Jr., had died of blunt force trauma, Assistant District Attorney John B. Johnson asked Donoghue to detail his examination of the body of Russell Toler Sr. The elder Toler had 33 external injuries including a "deep, gaping laceration'' and other deep lacerations on his forehead, he testified.

He suffered skull fractures in which the skull was broken into multiple pieces, he said.

His brain had the swelling that occurs with blunt force trauma, and a bone in his throat was broken, which could have occurred from strangulation or being struck, Donoghue said.

http://jacksonville.com/news/georgi...th-penalty-murder-trial-reopens#ixzz2htwvnrPK

As with the other victims, there were photos of Russell Toler's body,his face red with blood and with blackened cuts where he had been struck.

I think the ME would know the difference since most of these victims died where they were murdered.

How long would it take to wield this many blows? Not long at all. Less than a minute or so imo. Just put something over your head in your hand and come down as many times as you can repeatedly and in a minute many blows can be done. Of course then we have to add the (crack cocaine) drugs he was using that night that would make him stronger and even more rageful into the killing monster he became.

IMO

Also need to account that the swinger is either golf putting or bent over and right side body injuries so left handed swings or the injuries came from above Russel Sr.'s head or rather from the top and the attackers feet would have had to been toe to victims head .Right?

-

By Terry Dickson

12:50 a.m.

As jurors looked at large projected images from Guy Heinze Sr.'s autopsy, GBI medical examiner Edmund Donoghue explained what they were seeing. He testified that some of the marks on Heinze's body were cockroach bites and that he had died of brain injuries from blunt force trama.

All of the injuries were on the right side of the head where jurors saw a completely black eye, his purple ear that had been torn off and deep purple bruises on his scalp.

In examining the body of Russell Toler Jr., he found evidence of 36 external injuries, Donoghue testified.

Toler, the son of Russell Toler Sr., also a victim, had been stabbed in the face and neck, Donoghue said.

Toler Jr. also had several teeth knocked out, he testified.

He had a slanting stab wound in the back, but it appears the injury occurred after Toler Jr.s death, he said.

There was also evidence of 14 internal injuries, including several skull fractures that resuted in bone fragments being driven into Toler's brain, Donoghue testified.

Like Heinze Sr., Toler had inhaled his own blood, he said.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/georgia...#ixzz2huIymJ1w

I was reading this online while eating lunch, didn't really bother me eating and reading cause I have a pretty tough stomach until I read the part of the cockroach bites. I'll be geeked out the rest of the day thinking about that.

I was wondering if those bites were after death, or if this was a condition they
lived in?

Also need to account that the swinger is either golf putting or bent over and right side body injuries so left handed swings or the injuries came from above Russel Sr.'s head or rather from the top and the attackers feet would have had to been toe to victims head .Right?

Possibly. I think the swings were more over the head and then straight down to give him more leverage. It sounds like Sr. remained on his side (most likely the position he slept in when first struck.) That would explain why all the injuries were to one side.

It is so chilling to read about what happened to these people. Imo, he is a sociopath who is still remorseless and cold even today. I wish they would report his reaction to seeing his entire family dead and battered. I bet he just sits there unemotional.

IMO

I was reading this online while eating lunch, didn't really bother me eating and reading cause I have a pretty tough stomach until I read the part of the cockroach bites. I'll be geeked out the rest of the day thinking about that.

I was wondering if those bites were after death, or if this was a condition they
lived in?

The cockroach bites didn't bother me nearly as much as knowing how they were murdered.

I am sure they did have cockroaches there. It was an old trailer under a lot of trees but the blood that was all around and the open wounds brought them out in droves to feast on the bodies.:(

By Terry Dickson

2:40 p.m.

After a break, Assistant District Attorney John B. Johnson asked GBI medical examiner Edmund Donoghue about what he did with hair found in the hands of Russell Toler Jr. Donoghue said he had bagged the hair and preserved it for further examination by the GBI crime lab.

Michael Toler, 19, who had Down syndrome, survived for some hours in a hospital, Donoghue testified.

Like his father and older brother, Michael Toler had been beaten in the head and had skull fructures. He died of brain injuries from blunt force injuries to his head, Donoghue said.

With the testimony on Michael Toler, the number of autopsy and crime scene photos that he jury will consider hit 112 with four victims still to go.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/georgi...th-penalty-murder-trial-reopens#ixzz2huisVLOf

The cockroach bites didn't bother me nearly as much as knowing how they were murdered.

I am sure they did have cockroaches there. It was an old trailer under a lot of trees but the blood that was all around and the open wounds brought them out in droves to feast on the bodies.:(

I didn't know they would be attracted to that...of course, I also didn't know they bite. :blushing:

Cockroaches are omnivores that eat plants and meat. They have been recorded to eat human flesh of both the living and the dead, although they are more likely to take a bite of fingernails, eyelashes, feet and hands.

This is from a pest control company's website.

3 p.m.

The body of Joseph West, 30, who was victim Chrissy Toler's boyfriend, had evidence of seven external injuries all to the back of his head, Donoghue testified.

His head was interlaced with deep lacerations, one of which split his flesh all the way to his skull, Donoghue said explaining an autopsy photo.

Donoghue, who had gone to the crime scene at New Hope Mobile Home Park four years ago, testified that he believed West was lying where he slept when he was killed.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/georgi...th-penalty-murder-trial-reopens#ixzz2hum5RzSL

Thanks to you who are posting updates. This is tough to follow, but really no tougher than many, I guess. Murder is inhumane no matter what... but there is the additional sense of depravity here, and the familial relations that just makes this even more uncomfortable than other cases.

I never knew that Michael had Down's. Ugh... as if this could be any worse.

I am going to shut up again and just read - that in itself feels like a small way to honor these victims. Seems like this will be an easy case for the jury. Wonder what the exact issues will be for them to decide.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back