GUILTY GA - Eight family members brutally murdered in Brunswick home, 29 Aug 2009

The next hearing date on this case is in May according to the link above. The defence wants to wait until JAN 2014 to go to trial ,and the judge want to set a date in Aug 2013.
Hard to believe it has been 4 years and it sounds like the state is blaming the defence for not being ready but I seriously know some delay has been with ,the state labs, the state waiting to have evidence testing the courts issues itself .Even as recent as last year the state was waiting for some evidence which was expected to take months .

So the defence has not had 4 year to prepare for this case as the state said in court today. They have had 4 years to wonder what the state was sending out and testing and what those results were. I wish court TV would follow this trial.

I was just thinking back to how at first police reported all the people had been shot to death in the mobile home.

I think from those media reports people did believe GHJ killed his family,by the time it came out that the whole family was beat to death it was already infered GHJ had killed them and the details didnt much matter to most of the public. A killer was caught in that shooting case in their minds.

The media has been restricted in this case after his arrest which I supposse it good for GHJ in one way . However in another way do people even know this family wasnt shot to death? That 8 people were beaten to death in the kitchen ,living room and bedrooms of a trailer with at least one open window? By one 20 year old family member? Even though he did know where a gun was located. It makes little sence.

The media has been restricted in this case after his arrest which I supposse it good for GHJ in one way . However in another way do people even know this family wasnt shot to death? That 8 people were beaten to death in the kitchen ,living room and bedrooms of a trailer with at least one open window? By one 20 year old family member? Even though he did know where a gun was located. It makes little sence.

I know the paramedics that responded to this call. They were not shot. They were beaten, beaten so badly that initially LE were not sure if they had been shot or not, due to the amount of blood & damage to the bodies. From what I understand, the scene was horrific and imagine the first responding officers were overwhelmed & assumed they were shot.

Add in one window was open with a fan in it, and three people were in the kitchen.. I am amazed as well. I also still cant get over the fact that one person reportedly was supposed to be in the trailer that night but wasnt. I also find it interesting that persons mother showed up on the scene in such a dramatic state.

I also cant get over the silence on the case. Of course until Tyler is being arrested ,that always seems to bring up Guy's name in the news. I wont believe GH did this ,all alone or at all until I see proof ,and I also never have heard anyone say Guy was using meth. I have heard rumors of someone from the home selling Crack ,but it wasnt Guy Jr. JMO.

This is certainly going to be an interesting case. Is it still on for September 23rd?

All I have heard about drugs was Guy's younger brother mentioned it when talking about Heinz Jr.

There is always a lull between the time of an arrest and when the case comes to trial unless it is in a sunshine state like Florida where they have continuous document dumps available for the public/media to read them. The media is only going to focus on a case when something happens. The media in Jacksonville has covered it when there were hearings etc....

I felt since this is a death penalty case it would go to trial around the anniversary date of this year. 3-4 years seems to be the norm no matter which state.

The Beason, Illinois-Gee- mass murder case happened around the same time and year as this one and Harris finally was tried and found guilty this year. So they are pretty much within the norm when it comes to DP case. Arias murdered Travis Alexander in 2008 and she was finally tried this year and convicted. In fact I don't know of a death penalty case that did move at a fast pace to trial.

Of course Heniz Jr. had a constitutional right to a speedy trial but waived that early on so I suppose he is willing to spend years in jail rather than going to trial shortly after the murders. If I was innocent I would fully exercise my constitutional rights to a speedy trial.

I don't think the motive is going to have anything to do with drugs other than GHjr may have been using illegal drugs that night early morning. Often those on drugs can be much more violent and also can have much more strength. I have seen 'Cops' where it took 4-5 cops to contain one man who was using drugs.

As far as testing the shotgun stock I imagine the state is doing that because the defense would make something of it if it wasn't tested. I think they already know they really don't need it because they have enough to convict him already.

In the Cesar Lauren murder case the state did not even send the murder weapon off for testing until 19 days before trial was to start. Imo, they knew the results before the lab even tested it because they had enough evidence at the crime scene showing he was the sole murderer of Maria Lauterbach. I believe this will be the case in the Heinz case.

As far as the box fan being in the window and I actually think there were two fans running, iirc, it would make other noises muffled. Although bludgeoning someone in the head is a silent murder within itself. With it being so hot the fans would be on high and are very noisy.

Iirc the family was told by LE that most of the victims were attacked as they lay sleeping. It is going to be an extremely gruesome case for any jury to endure especially with a young child also being unmercifully attacked. I don't envy them and certainly think the state should offer them therapy after this trial is over with.

As far as finding someone else's DNA on the vitims... I find that highly doubtful but even so if his is comingled among the victims he is still as guilty of the crime and whether he had help or not (which I don't think he did) is irrelevant. He would still be guilty and eligible for the death penalty.

IMO

I know the paramedics that responded to this call. They were not shot. They were beaten, beaten so badly that initially LE were not sure if they had been shot or not, due to the amount of blood & damage to the bodies. From what I understand, the scene was horrific and imagine the first responding officers were overwhelmed & assumed they were shot.

Welcome! Its nice to see a local posting about this case Goldheart.:seeya:

I heard it was the worst crime scene these officers/responders had ever witnessed. Such a sad sad case and so many victims.

I love your city and have been there many times when we went to Jekyl Island. I'm a Georgia native and live about 180 miles away from Brunswick.

I believe it was released to the public early on that they all had been bludgeoned to death......just like GHjr said on his 911 call.

I was just thinking back to how at first police reported all the people had been shot to death in the mobile home.

I think from those media reports people did believe GHJ killed his family,by the time it came out that the whole family was beat to death it was already infered GHJ had killed them and the details didnt much matter to most of the public. A killer was caught in that shooting case in their minds.

He wasn't even arrested for the murders until 8 days later. I think it was quickly cleared up that they hadn't been shot but had been bludgeoned to death. Everyone I know from Brunswick is aware they were bludgeoned (beaten) to death. It shows how horrific the murders were though if LE first thought they had been shot. Shudder.

And we heard early on that they found a piece of shotgun stock in the driveway that seemed to have splintered off from the rest of the stock. So I never thought he shot them but used the end of the shotgun to beat them to death. He may have used another bludgeoning weapon too.

Oh imo he knew where the gun was located. He lived in that home. I think I read earlier that it belonged to either his dad or Rusty.

What doesn't make sense to me and never has is............the last thing on a family member's mind after seeing his entire family massacred would be hiding a shotgun with a splintered stock with blood on it in his own trunk. Only defendants try to hide evidence.

Why would he leave Michael's side to do such nonsense when he knew Michael could take his last breath at anytime? And why didn't he check on everyone? What about Byron who also was gravely injured? Imo, he thought he had murdered them all and when he returned to pretend he found them to his surprise Michael was still alive and by then the police and EMTs were on the way.

IMO

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/...aminer-under-investigation-truthfulness-court

defence witness on polygraph lied in court, defence was hoping to use him in the penalty phase of the case if he is convicted,

also reveals more evidence,

OMG that really freaks me out. The people who can pass a polygraph the easiest and be guilty as sin are sociopaths who have no feelings or emotions over what they have done. Gary Ridgeway passed his with flying colors yet had murdered 50 women, and Jodi Arias, the sociopath, also supposedly passed hers too. Yet innocent people like Ruthie Lunsford and Steve Greone were told they had failed theirs.

Also if he was strung out on drugs the night he murdered them then he could have distanced himself from the murders now.

This will never get into court though because polys aren't reliable and only can come in if both the state and defense agrees which I don't see happening.

So from your link GHjr even stole Michael's drugs.

There were also some glimpses of the case against Heinze in Johnson’s cross-examination of Blackstone, who had said he had familiarized himself with the crime scene and some of the evidence. She asked Blackstone if he was aware that Heinze’s bloody palm print was found beside the body of a victim or if he knew that drugs belonging to one of the victims were found in the console of the car Heinze was driving.

The drugs belonged to Michael Toler, 19, who was still alive the morning of Aug. 29 when Heinze called 911 and said he had found his whole family beaten to death. Toler, who had Down syndrome, died the next day.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/...nvestigation-truthfulness-court#ixzz2buDd4sPD

jury selected, opening statements today, have not been able to find out if it will be streamed live anywhere

jury selected, opening statements today, have not been able to find out if it will be streamed live anywhere

I have looked everywhere I know to look Joe and don't see that it will be viewed live. I really am disappointed.

I know the first Judge said she would allow cameras in the courtroom but evidently the Judge that took over had a different opinion.

I cant even find anyone that will be blogging from the courthouse. Opening statements started at 2pm today.

imo

BRUNSWICK | Most of the eight people beaten to death Aug. 29, 2009, in a mobile home north of Brunswick died in bed and other places where they had lain sleeping some without moving, prosecutor John B. Johnson told jurors Tuesday in Guy Heinze Jr.’s death penalty murder trial.

Johnson warned the jury of 10 women and six men, some of whom are alternates, that they would see photos of a very bloody scene in which walls, headboards, floors and other areas of the trailer’s interior were splattered with blood from the savage beatings.

He told them how Guy Heinze Sr. had died where he lay on a pallet on the living room floor, how Russell Toler Sr., who rented the trailer for himself and nine others, lay in the doorway of a master bedroom and how Joseph West, the boyfriend of Toler’s daughter, Chrissy, lay dead face down, also on a pallet on the floor. Johnson mentioned only one defensive wound, 15-year-old Michelle Toler’s broken hand.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/georgi...nty-mobile-home-died-where-they#ixzz2hpNKtMtu

Jurors see grisly photos of 8 beating deaths as Guy Heinze Jr.'s death penalty murder trial opens

When the prosecution introduced 20 grisly photos as evidence, the jurors all seemed to examine each one carefully.

Stalvey testified of going from room to room in the single-wide mobile home finding people dead and badly injured.

Stalvey said he ordered that Heinze, who had spoken to a 911 operator, be kept at the scene.

“He was telling me his whole family had been murdered. We needed to get all the information we could from him,’’ Stalvey testified.

Heinze also said he had bought crack cocaine the night before from Joseph West, Stavley testified. Heinze said he had smoked the crack and driven to St. Simons Island about 2:30 a.m. Aug. 29 and met his younger brother Tyler Heinze there.

Heinze said he drove home about 8 a.m., found the front door unlocked and went inside and found his father lying dead just inside the door, Stalvey testified.

“He told me he had walked through the house and found that everyone was dead,’’ except for his cousin, Stalvey testified.

He claimed to have put his hand on the stomach of his “cousin,’’ and felt him breathing, Stalvey said.

Heinze had no blood on his hands, he said.

In his opening statement Assistant District Attorney John B. Johnson said that the person Heinze identified as a cousin, Michael Toler, 19, had been most savagely beaten and there was blood all over his bed and the room.

http://jacksonville.com/news/georgi...8-beating-deaths-guy-heinze-jrs-death-penalty

BRUNSWICK, Ga. -
Police found the eight victims inside the cramped mobile home they shared, each beaten bloody with some type of blunt weapon. Now prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for a 25-year-old man charged with single-handedly killing them all.

"My whole family is dead!" a frantic Guy Heinze Jr. cried in the 911 call that alerted police to the crime in the port city of Brunswick. Six days later, investigators charged him with murder.

Heinze's trial is set to begin Tuesday, more than four years after the Aug. 29, 2009, slayings stunned the community and made headlines across the nation.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/georgi...sday/-/475792/22417562/-/oadpsbz/-/index.html

http://www.news4jax.com/Guy-Heinze-trial-underway/-/475982/22437192/-/ptk3n7z/-/index.html

http://www.news4jax.com/news/georgi...rial/-/475792/22444036/-/4h17qaz/-/index.html

Thanks for the new thread Harmony!:seeya:

I am more convinced that ever before that GHjr did all of these murders right by himself. Imo, there will be no forensic evidence entered from either side showing someone else was involved.

The positioning of the bodies when found will be KEY in this case, imo.

It is obvious to me most all of them died where they lay sleeping, whether in a bed in a bedroom or on a pallet on the floor, they were very unaware of their impending doom to each and every one of them. The only one out of the nine attacked that seem to have a second to react was 15 year old Michelle. The position when found proves none of them knew that someone was in their home killing everyone in sight.

The only one that may have seen the face of her murderer before death was Michelle, the 15 year old daughter of Rusty Tolar.:(

The impact would have been a dull thud and people get use to hearing all sorts of sounds as they are in their beds at night and learn to tune them out. The pallets/blankets/mattresses and pillows also would muffle the sounds. Some people are even known to moan in their sleep.

All of these poor victims were sleeping 'ducks'. What a horrible tragedy.

IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back