Found Deceased NY - Jaylen Griffin, 12, Buffalo, 4 Aug 2020

hollye

Reaction score
12-year-old Jaylen Griffin was last seen at his home on Warren Avenue in the Queen City back on August 4, 2020. Police believe he could still be in the local area.

Jaylen is 5'3 tall, weighs 145lbs and has black hair and brown eyes.

Renewed plea for help finding missing Buffalo boy

Attachments

• 032972B8-BF9A-4493-9B5D-690FC3A6BD0C.png
    032972B8-BF9A-4493-9B5D-690FC3A6BD0C.png
    114.7 KB · Views: 62
Buffalo police looking for missing boy last seen on August 4 | News 4 Buffalo
by: Evan Anstey
Posted: Sep 30, 2020 / 02:36 PM EDT / Updated: Sep 30, 2020 / 02:44 PM EDT
jaylen-griffin.png

BB17L9sa.img

Buffalo Police asking for help in locating missing 12-year-old boy
WGRZ Staff 9/30/2020

Police seek whereabouts of 12-year-old boy missing since August
Harold McNeil Oct 3, 2020 Updated Oct 3, 2020
BBM
  • ...last seen her son at about 11 a.m. Aug. 4 in their home on Warren Avenue
  • ...Jaylen said to her that he was going outside, and that she had not seen him since
  • ...last seen wearing a black T-shirt, gray sweatpants with a black stripe and white Nike sneakers with multicolors on the back

My heart goes out to Jaylen's mom. I'd say 2020 has been much more than a nightmare for her. The situations with her sons make me worry about Jaylen's safety. I don't think he's a runaway. IMO, this sounds like gangs might be involved. Come on, Buffalo PD...find this child. :(

Buffalo Family Wants Missing Child Back Home
BY BRANDON LEWIS BUFFALO PUBLISHED 10:36 PM ET DEC. 18, 2020
Snipped

A parent's worst nightmare has come true for the Griffin family. "On February 15, 2020, my son got shot on his 21st birthday. August 4th of 2020 is the last time I saw or heard from my 12-year-old son. November 23 of 2020, my 18-year-old son was murdered," said J. P., the boys' mother.
His loved ones describe him as
  • a “mama's boy” who would regularly check in
  • "He's not a runaway, he don't got no reason to run away. He is a child, he is a baby,"
  • gotten reports of people seeing Jaylen
  • received threatening calls from people asking for money in exchange for the 12 year old but the callers didn't prove they actually had him

This child is only 12 years old and has been missing since August? How is this not a bigger story?

Plainly put, it's because he's black from the worst section of the city. I don't mean that as a hot take. As a local I'm comfortable making that statement because despite living and breathing in this city I had NEVER heard about this until I was insomnia-browsing here for missing upstate and WNY cases. I read through this thread and then started some poking around on my own and there has been very little local media coverage as well.

In reading the articles I picked up on undertones of known gang affiliations (speculation, of course, as there hasn't been official statement of that), and Jaylen appears to be throwing signs in some of his photos. All that math adds up to him being a file unworthy of active investigation.

It's really, really sad. Because no matter what he is just 12 years old.

My heart goes out to Jaylen's mom. I'd say 2020 has been much more than a nightmare for her. The situations with her sons make me worry about Jaylen's safety. I don't think he's a runaway. IMO, this sounds like gangs might be involved. Come on, Buffalo PD...find this child. :(

Buffalo Family Wants Missing Child Back Home
BY BRANDON LEWIS BUFFALO PUBLISHED 10:36 PM ET DEC. 18, 2020
Snipped

A parent's worst nightmare has come true for the Griffin family. "On February 15, 2020, my son got shot on his 21st birthday. August 4th of 2020 is the last time I saw or heard from my 12-year-old son. November 23 of 2020, my 18-year-old son was murdered," said J. P., the boys' mother.
His loved ones describe him as
  • a “mama's boy” who would regularly check in
  • "He's not a runaway, he don't got no reason to run away. He is a child, he is a baby,"
  • gotten reports of people seeing Jaylen
  • received threatening calls from people asking for money in exchange for the 12 year old but the callers didn't prove they actually had him
How much should one family have to endure? Parents say he is not a runaway, but police classified Jaylen that way. They think his case is not getting much attention because of the classification. I really hope LE steps up their game for the Griffin family!!

Plainly put, it's because he's black from the worst section of the city. I don't mean that as a hot take. As a local I'm comfortable making that statement because despite living and breathing in this city I had NEVER heard about this until I was insomnia-browsing here for missing upstate and WNY cases. I read through this thread and then started some poking around on my own and there has been very little local media coverage as well.

In reading the articles I picked up on undertones of known gang affiliations (speculation, of course, as there hasn't been official statement of that), and Jaylen appears to be throwing signs in some of his photos. All that math adds up to him being a file unworthy of active investigation.

It's really, really sad. Because no matter what he is just 12 years old.

Sadly I'm afraid you are right. It seems like certain children have an expiration date on their childhood earlier than others, where they are no longer afforded the assumption innocence of their peers. Black boys from rough areas like this are profiled as men-potentially dangerous, or at least unworthy of protection. Tamir Rice comes to mind. So does a book I read about boys like this growing up in Chicago- the title is the heartbreaking truth of these cases "There Are No Children Here"

A child involved in a gang - if that is the case- not a criminal, he's a victim. He's essentially a trafficked child, being used to make money for adults. But all the people so up in arms about child trafficking seem to have nothing to say about kids like Jaylen.

The search for missing 12-year-old Jaylen Griffin continues | News 4 Buffalo

May 29, 2021
Jaylen Griffin, 12-year-old boy from Buffalo has been missing since last August.

Those looking for him are continuing their efforts to make sure the city is on alert for Jaylen Griffin. Just recently, tips came in reporting that the 6th grader was in the city’s LaSalle neighborhood near McCarthy Park.

Details of Disappearance
Jaylen was last seen at his home on Warren Avenue in the Broadway-Fillmore neighborhood in Buffalo, New York at 11:00 a.m. on August 4, 2020. He had just come home from taking his new puppy for a walk when he told his mother he was going out again. He didn't say where he was going.

Jaylen would often spend time at nearby stores, offering to carry people's bags for money, and his mother thought he might be going there. He never returned has never been heard from again.

At the time of his disappearance, Jaylen was in sixth grade. There were possible sightings of him in the local area in the months after he went missing, and authorities think he could still be in Buffalo.

His family thought he might return after his eighteen-year-old brother, Jawaan Griffin, was shot and killed in November 2020, but Jaylen never showed up for his brother's funeral service and may not be aware he's dead. His case remains unsolved.

1 year since Jaylen Griffin went missing | wgrz.com

Aug 4 2021
August 4 marks one year since a young Buffalo boy disappeared.

Jaylen Griffin, now 13, went missing on August 4, 2020.

He was reported missing after leaving his home on Warren Avenue in the Broadway-Fillmore neighborhood, without telling his parents where he was going.

"No one ever heard from him, he didn't come back later on that night or days after," GYC Ministry Pastor Tim Newkirk, who is a spokesperson for Jaylen's family, said in April. "They (police) took it serious immediately upon him not coming home because he's not a kid to stay out late or go too far."

Yeah, this is quite concerning. At first, I thought Jalen might have been hanging out with friends or associates, but it's been a year. What are the odds he'd be in hiding this long, yet no one says anything? Kids talk, and by now an adult likely would have reported seeing him, imo. I believe there needs to be a serious SAR effort around the areas he lived and usually hung out. I'm afraid this is more than a runaway situation. He may not be far from home. The Google Maps view of Warren Avenue is from 2014. It appears there were quite a few abandoned homes and businesses around that time.

Has there been an effort like a Crime Stoppers reward on a missing-person's flyer and people posting those flyers all over town? Unless there is a dangerous body of water or forest he might have entered, chances must be high that someone knows where he is. JMO.
Return home safe, Jaylen.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allisonvsmith
Back