Found Deceased NY - Jaylen Griffin, 12, Buffalo, 4 Aug 2020

I remember reading about his mother talking about a house he was seen or said to be at, and it being a known gang spot. I can't remember where or find a link now, and I don't mean to spread misinformation... Wondering if anyone else recalls this or have a source? I'd like to know the location of that house.

(If it's upthread, forgive me. I looked but I'm in a fit of insomnia that turns my brain into mush.)

Something I've picked up on as a local is that his older brothers are/were all gang affiliated, and that his family believes he's alive. There's this feeling that he's been recruited. Whether that is voluntary or forced shouldn't matter. He's a child. He should be investigated as an abduction, plain and simple.

I wish I could summarize for you guys just how corrupt and effortless Buff PD is, but there's so much. If you're looking for examples (or a rabbithole to go down), look up Amanda Wienckowski (her mom is here and she has a thread) and Lyn Dejac/Joan Giambra. It's so frustrating and there's no end in sight in this city.

Devastated to hear Jaylen is still missing. I remember his case, as I'm somewhat local to Buffalo. I had read on a social media comment that he was found safe, and hoped that was true. There has been 0 media effort regarding his disappearance in some time now. If its true that he has been recruited by a gang, that doesn't explain him not attending his brother's funeral. Surely if it were the case that he was recruited, he would know about his untimely death and attended his funeral. Joining a gang doesn't usually mean dropping off the face of the earth, even gang members keep in touch with family. I'm very concerned that he is still missing after all of this time. His poor mother. I pray he is found soon! Where are you, Jalen!!!

New interview with his mother.

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-new...-out-while-community-leader-helps-with-search

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — 13-year-old Jaylen Griffin has gone missing since August 4th, 2020, and his mother won't give up on finding him while a community leader continues to search.

Griffin's mother, Joann Ponzo, says that her son was heading to the grocery store near Broadway and Sears.

"I was lying on my bed. It might have been 10 or 11 in the morning, and my son, as he did every day, say, mom, are you good? I'm about to go to the store. Do you need anything," Jaylen's mother says? "I said no, go ahead. And my son never returned home ever since."

The grieving mother expressed that her son isn't a runaway.

He was 12-years-old during the time of his disappearance.

"My son is not a runaway. My son is a momma's boy, was, is, I don't know how to say it," Ponzo says. "My son is a momma's boy and never missed a moment in staying in contact until he disappeared."

Ponzo says her son had his phone on him at the time, but his phone only works when it's on wifi.

The mother says two days after he vanished without a trace his social media accounts got deleted.

She has received some strange calls on his whereabouts.

"In December of 2021, a female reached out to my daughter saying my son's remains are on the side of the I-90 going to Lackawanna, so I called the police," she says.

More at link.

RSBM

SBBM
Jaylen's cousin believes someone snatched him. [snip] 7 News reached out to Buffalo police to get an update on Jaylen's whereabouts. So far, they haven't responded. However, Jaylen's family is hoping they find him safely so they can celebrate his 14th birthday that's coming up next month. [snip] If you have any information, please call the confidential Tip Line at 716-847-2255, Buffalo Police at 716-851-4444 and Bury the Violence at 716-703-8771
#

I often think of Jaylen and wonder what happened to him. I agree with his family. I don't believe he ran away from home. I feel like Jaylen was either taken by a predator, harmed by viscous teens/young adults, or fell victim to a tragic accident but has yet to be found. I wish there was a way to get a search party together so they can canvas the area where he was last seen, especially all the abandoned buildings. MOO

From the article:

"The mother says two days after he vanished without a trace his social media accounts got deleted."

Was this known before? I don't recall it. Yeah, there's no way a kid just deletes their Facebook account and never gets it or another one back. At this point, Jaylen absolutely needs an age progression. With all hope that he is alive, he wouldn't look like a 12 year old boy anymore. Puberty. My kid is 12 & 1/2 and is already getting a jawline and is 2 inches taller than his last physical (which is freaking me out, man). Time changes everything, but most people are going to look for a 12 year old short 5'3" kid when he's most likely a taller 14 year old teenager.

Search continues for 13-year-old Jaylen Griffin​

By: Yoselin Person
Posted at 9:31 PM, Feb 03, 2022

and last updated 2022-02-04 00:25:38-05

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — Search continues for 13-year-old Jaylen Griffin. A founder who works closely with Jaylen's family says he was last seen near Broadway and Spears in Buffalo in August 2020.
"He went missing at twelve years old. He's been gone since August, I think sixth or eighth of 2020, Kareema Morris, founder of Bury the Violence. "And there's still no information on his whereabouts. The family, who's a very close net family, is in a protective mode because they don't know who has Jaylen. They have no idea as to where he can really be.
Morris says the 13-year-old went to the store and didn't return home.
7 News reporter, Yoselin Person, went to the Aman Plaza Halal Food & Variety store and asked the owner if he had seen Jaylen.
"I don't remember because a lot of people is coming. A lot of people coming and going. I don't know either," the owner says.
Yoselin left the store, she saw another corner store Jaylen may have gone to as she was walking towards it. She stopped a teen and asked if he knew of Jaylen.
Yoselin: Have you heard that he was missing?
Nick: It was surprising because he was always in the area and stuff, and I wouldn't think of him being a person to go missing.
Yoselin: Why do you think that?
Nick: Because he's not a bad person. He's always with somebody, and nothing couldn't go wrong because he's always with somebody."

The 19-year-old also says the last week he saw Jaylen was a week before his disappearance.

"It was me, him and his older brother. We were right here at the corner store," Nick says.

Yoselin: When you say the corner store, you're talking about that one over there?
Nick: That one right there, yea".

Yoselin went to the Sears Food Enterprise Inc store.

The owner declined to speak, but she saw there were several surveillance cameras in the store and a flier of Jaylen.

Buffalo Police say they're working on finding him.

"Detectives are working digitally on the case. He has been registered with the national center for the missing exploited children, and we also reached out and received assistance from the FBI on the case, says Deputy Commissioner, Joseph Gramaglia of Buffalo Police."

13-year-old Jaylen Griffin:
5'3 and weighs 145 lbs.
Last seen near Broadway and Sears in August of 2020.
If you have any information, please call the confidential Tip Line at 716-847-2255 and Buffalo Police at 716-851-4444.
Link to Missing & Exploited Children.

Search continues for 13-year-old Jaylen Griffin​

By: Yoselin Person
Posted at 9:31 PM, Feb 03, 2022

and last updated 2022-02-04 00:25:38-05

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — Search continues for 13-year-old Jaylen Griffin. A founder who works closely with Jaylen's family says he was last seen near Broadway and Spears in Buffalo in August 2020.
"He went missing at twelve years old. He's been gone since August, I think sixth or eighth of 2020, Kareema Morris, founder of Bury the Violence. "And there's still no information on his whereabouts. The family, who's a very close net family, is in a protective mode because they don't know who has Jaylen. They have no idea as to where he can really be.
Morris says the 13-year-old went to the store and didn't return home.
7 News reporter, Yoselin Person, went to the Aman Plaza Halal Food & Variety store and asked the owner if he had seen Jaylen.
"I don't remember because a lot of people is coming. A lot of people coming and going. I don't know either," the owner says.
Yoselin left the store, she saw another corner store Jaylen may have gone to as she was walking towards it. She stopped a teen and asked if he knew of Jaylen.
Yoselin: Have you heard that he was missing?
Nick: It was surprising because he was always in the area and stuff, and I wouldn't think of him being a person to go missing.
Yoselin: Why do you think that?
Nick: Because he's not a bad person. He's always with somebody, and nothing couldn't go wrong because he's always with somebody."

The 19-year-old also says the last week he saw Jaylen was a week before his disappearance.

"It was me, him and his older brother. We were right here at the corner store," Nick says.

Yoselin: When you say the corner store, you're talking about that one over there?
Nick: That one right there, yea".

Yoselin went to the Sears Food Enterprise Inc store.

The owner declined to speak, but she saw there were several surveillance cameras in the store and a flier of Jaylen.

Buffalo Police say they're working on finding him.

"Detectives are working digitally on the case. He has been registered with the national center for the missing exploited children, and we also reached out and received assistance from the FBI on the case, says Deputy Commissioner, Joseph Gramaglia of Buffalo Police."

13-year-old Jaylen Griffin:
5'3 and weighs 145 lbs.
Last seen near Broadway and Sears in August of 2020.
If you have any information, please call the confidential Tip Line at 716-847-2255 and Buffalo Police at 716-851-4444.
Link to Missing & Exploited Children.

New search effort for missing Buffalo teen involves help from a local cab company​

Jaylen Griffin's family and supporters have worked tirelessly to bring him home and on Friday they launched a new campaign to find him and bring him back to his mom.
Author: Rob Hackford (WGRZ)
Published: 10:42 PM EDT May 13, 2022
Updated: 11:14 PM EDT May 13, 2022
BUFFALO, N.Y. — The search for 14-year-old Jaylen Griffin started nearly two years ago. The teen’s face has been on fliers and a billboard along the Kensington Expressway but despite those efforts to raise awareness since leaving home back in August 2020 – Jaylen has still not returned.
Jaylen was last seen in Buffalo's Broadway Fillmore neighborhood and his case is listed in the National Registry for Missing and Exploited Children.

His family and supporters have worked tirelessly to bring him home and on Friday launched a new campaign to find him and bring him back to his mother, Joann Ponzo.
"I just want my son back," Ponzo said.
Ponzo has been through a lot over the past two years. After Jaylen went missing, his older brother was shot and killed a few months later. Through both tragedies, Ponzo said she's received a lot of pity but only really wants answers and people to be honest.
“I got people calling me saying give me money I'll get your son back people calling and telling me my son is dead, I've got people calling and saying my son is all over the place, frustrated is not the word, it's just ugh,” said Ponzo.
Ponzo’s search has received a lot of support and on Friday Pastor Tim Newkirk of God’s Young Children Ministries and Pastor Charles Walker of Mt. Hope Church announced a new partnership with Liberty Cab Company on Kenmore Avenue.
Pastor Walker said Liberty Cab owner Bill Yuhnke has agreed to outfit all 150 vehicles in their fleet with fliers of Jaylen as they continue to search for his whereabouts. Missing person’s information will also be displayed on each cab kiosk.
The hope is that drivers like Labetton Thornton could get a tip from any of the hundreds of riders they transport every month.
“I’ve never seen nobody doing anything like this, I've seen billboards for missing children but not in the cabs so I think Mr. Yuhnke is setting a new trend,” said Thornton.
“You never know who may see him or where but we just want to make sure it's available everywhere these men and women drive they will see a picture of Jaylen Griffin,” Pastor Walker said.
Jaylen will be the first missing child featured by Liberty Cab, but both Pastor Walker and Newkirk want to eventually help find other missing Buffalo kids too.
“This is a call for humanity this is a call for justice it could be your kid it could be anybody's kid,” Pastor Tim Newkirk said.
If you've seen Jaylen Griffin or have information that could lead to his whereabouts you are asked to call (716) 770-9093 or call 911 immediately.

b856f2c1-7c37-446e-a656-1ec4b2121a12_1140x641.jpg

The purpose of an age progression photo is to show the public an approximation of what a missing child might look like as time passes while they are missing, not just what he or she looked like when they vanished years, or decades, ago.

The hope is that someone out in the community may recognize the age progression. For many families of missing children, age progressions pictures can be a double-edged sword. They give them hope of still finding their child after many years – but can be a huge emotional punch.

AUG 4, 2023
[...]

Jaylen’s mother, JP is still grieving for him as she could barely face the fact that her son has been missing for three years.

She’s so hurt that she was sitting down during the vigil inhaling her asthma pump while crying as her family, Buffalo Police and the community surrounded her for comfort.

“Look at my baby. This is the last time I’ve seen my baby right here on this shirt,” she expresses. “This is the only picture I remember my son looking like.”

[...]

:(

Joann Ponzo was laid to rest Thursday having never known what happened to her son, Jaylen Griffin, who was 12 when he was last seen on Aug. 4, 2020.

Ponzo died Sept. 18 at Sisters Hospital after her health rapidly deteriorated. She was 48.

This is devastating. Even if Jaylen did plan on getting involved in gang activities, he was 12. I don’t think he planned on being gone forever either. He was a victim of the older people orchestrating the gang activities. He’s a CHILD. I don’t care what this child might’ve been involved in, he deserved to be looked for and have his case looked into by LE a million times harder than he was. And now his mother has passed without answers. I hope you get to come home soon, Jaylen.

Sadly, Jaylen was found deceased.

April 15, 2024

BUFFALO, N.Y. — It's been three- and a half years since 12-year-old Jaylen Griffin went missing.
On Monday, Buffalo Police reported that Jaylen Griffin's body was found in a home on Sheffield Avenue on Friday.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unsilent_bob
Back