PA PA - District Attorney Ray Gricar Mysteriously Disappeared - Bellefonte 15 April 2005 #18

I was just reading this older article about Ray's disappearance, and it sparked my interest in the cases Ray handled when he was a Cuyahoga County prosecutor. I haven't found mention of any specific ones, but I wonder if he worked on the (still unsolved) 1976 murder of another up and coming young attorney named Thomas Wayne Grant?

Older article on Ray from Centre Daily Times. It says he left Cleveland in 1979, so he likely would have been working as a county prosecutor in 1976.

If so, he would have known about the murder of Thomas Wayne Grant, a bright, young attorney who worked for the biggest law firm in Cleveland - Squire Sanders. Grant was brutally murdered in his own apartment, in a building that had a 24 hr security desk. Just curious. The case went nowhere, fast.

MOD NOTE:

There has been a major cleanup on this thread due to numerous TOS violations. Here are the RULES we all agreed to upon joining this site. These are a few key reminders:

- If you can not provide an approved source link substantiating the information you post as fact, you CAN NOT POST OR DISCUSS IT. The exception to this rule applies to members who have applied and been approved to post as verified professionals/insiders on a case and thread.

- Insulting other members, and posting abusive and derogatory personal comments, is strictly against the rules. If you read a post that you do not agree with but does not violate any of the rules, KEEP SCROLLING.

- Websleuths is primarily pro-law enforcement. Generalized bashing of law enforcement is not allowed. Speculation, insinuations of coverup, corruption or conspiracies are not allowed unless there is an approved source link to support such discussion.

We don’t have moderators online 24/7, so if we don’t see a violation for several hours/days/weeks and dozens of members have replied to that comment, it results in those responses being removed as well. We rely on and appreciate when members report TOS violations rather than replying to them.

If you have a question about the rules or are unsure of something you want to post, reach out to a Mod or Admin by using the report feature located at the bottom of a particular post.

Thanks,
Mad

I was just reading this older article about Ray's disappearance, and it sparked my interest in the cases Ray handled when he was a Cuyahoga County prosecutor. I haven't found mention of any specific ones, but I wonder if he worked on the (still unsolved) 1976 murder of another up and coming young attorney named Thomas Wayne Grant?

Older article on Ray from Centre Daily Times. It says he left Cleveland in 1979, so he likely would have been working as a county prosecutor in 1976.

If so, he would have known about the murder of Thomas Wayne Grant, a bright, young attorney who worked for the biggest law firm in Cleveland - Squire Sanders. Grant was brutally murdered in his own apartment, in a building that had a 24 hr security desk. Just curious. The case went nowhere, fast.

Two points on two different posts.

1. Zaccagni, the first detective, started as a BPD officer in the early 1980's, if not earlier; he knew of PEF when she was in high school (she was Class of '82, I think). He had just been promoted to detective, however, in 2005.

2. The Wayne Grant case is interesting, but RFG would not have been an investigator. At best, the local police would come to him with a suspect; if that was the case, he decided not to charge. It does not look like it ever got to the point where it went to the DA's Office level.

Two points on two different posts.

1. Zaccagni, the first detective, started as a BPD officer in the early 1980's, if not earlier; he knew of PEF when she was in high school (she was Class of '82, I think). He had just been promoted to detective, however, in 2005.

2. The Wayne Grant case is interesting, but RFG would not have been an investigator. At best, the local police would come to him with a suspect; if that was the case, he decided not to charge. It does not look like it ever got to the point where it went to the DA's Office level.
The local police did have a suspect - Wayne Grant’s former room mate. It’s difficult to determine what happened without looking at the actual files. None of the local Cleveland newspapers have publicly accessible digital archives. Only one article appeared in the Akron Beacon Journal. The story quickly disappeared, possibly because the last people to see Thomas were patrons of a popular gay nightclub. That shouldn’t have mattered, but it possibly did back in 1976.

The local police did have a suspect - Wayne Grant’s former room mate. It’s difficult to determine what happened without looking at the actual files. None of the local Cleveland newspapers have publicly accessible digital archives. Only one article appeared in the Akron Beacon Journal. The story quickly disappeared, possibly because the last people to see Thomas were patrons of a popular gay nightclub. That shouldn’t have mattered, but it possibly did back in 1976.
They might have cleared him, or didn't have enough evidence to take it to the DA's Office.

Only $5,000? That's not very much to lure someone to talk. The article quickly brings up the "he probably committed suicide because his brother did a long time ago" excuse. Somewhat contradictory.
A DA is missing and that is all they got? It's a laughable amount, imo.

Last edited:
I tried accessing raygricar.com a few times recently to look for an update on the podcast and get error messages. Appears like the website may be shut down?

Recent news about a decomposed body found in the Great Miami River. See linked article. Will be watching this for updates as well. Also, linked Wiki, due to RG's brother's being found in similar/same (?) river. Moo

Gricar's older brother Roy disappeared from his West Chester, Ohio, home in May 1996. His body was found a week later in the Great Miami River; authorities ruled his death a suicide.[7]

Last edited:
Recent news about a decomposed body found in the Great Miami River. See linked article. Will be watching this for updates as well. Also, linked Wiki, due to RG's brother's being found in similar/same (?) river. Moo

Gricar's older brother Roy disappeared from his West Chester, Ohio, home in May 1996. His body was found a week later in the Great Miami River; authorities ruled his death a suicide.[7]

wow where is this in relation to Lewisberg? I can't imagine it being Ray after all this time..but who knows???

could Ray have picked up another car waiting in that lot and taken off ? maybe he drove to Ohio..there is always a chance.

mOO

could Ray have picked up another car waiting in that lot and taken off ? maybe he drove to Ohio..there is always a chance.

mOO
I think it’s very possible he could have picked up another car in that lot. But, doubtful he did that just to drive to Ohio and duplicate his brother’s suicide. No reason for him to switch cars if he was planning suicide. Plus the other abandoned car in Ohio would have been found and likely linked to him.

It has not bee updated in more than a decade.
You are incorrect. It was updated with information about the Final Argument podcast, which was all released in the past 3 years.

I do not know when the website was initially created, nor how often it was updated. It has not been accessible by my device for several months.

Reactions: ?!?

This would not be Ray after all. moo

This would not be Ray after all. moo

No, its in Ohio. Ray went missing in PA.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tiffany1201
Back