NC - 12-year-old dies at Trails Carolina wilderness therapy camp, Lake Toxaway, February 2024

Poor kid. And poor parents. On paper the school looks great. I’m sure desparate parents hope it will get their child back on track. But the mix of students seems problematic to me. Although they are grouped by age and gender, there seems to be a good chance that your child could be grouped with someone quite disturbed.

This link quotes an overview of children they help…
Many students who come to us face challenges such as mental health challenges, behavioral issues, or emotional struggles that hinder their academic performance.

For some, the pressures and difficulties of traditional school environments can take a toll on their overall well-being. And for others, school has become a place where they feel incapable of succeeding, leading them to avoid it altogether.

Whether students encounter difficulties in specific subjects, face bullying, or struggle to thrive in large academic settings, our therapeutic residential treatment programs can help.
BBM
————————-
This link describes in detail the various issues the students are there to deal with (scroll down). They can be quite serious. There seems to me to be a good chance of children abusing/hurting other children.

JMO
It would seem very probable to me that ALL the kids in those programs have mental health challenges, behavioral issues, or emotional struggles. It's what those "camps" are for. Otherwise, you send your kids to regular camp.

I would say, kids who don't have trouble with severe issues might be okay with some kinds of deprivation (e.g. no showers) for extended periods in the name of fun. We certainly were, when I was at camp. It was a kind of group bonding thing, too. Also, there are groups of young people with State-run CCC's who go to wilderness locations for extended periods for e.g. for trail repair, and it's kind of a thing with them, too (those seem to be good programs, BTW). They get super dirty (no showers for weeks at a time, stinky, no laundry, etc) and very bonded IMO.

But IMO there's a limit to the challenges you'd want to present to already challenged kids. And they might not be able to bond with each other at all because they just can't with anyone. It would seem to me, letting them have showers every day, enjoying some hot water, and maybe clean clothes....then you can work on the other stuff. But inducing a huge amount of unnecessary discomfort, along with the discomfort of whatever the therapy camp imposes as far as treatment, is way too much. It's the least you can do to provide troubled kids with some creature comforts that provide basic human pleasure. I mean, why treat them like Neanderthals?

I assume this Carolina Trails camp doesn't use heated cabins (it's likely a summertime camp they lease in winter). Although it looks like a beautiful setting, it's bloody cold this time of year! And they've had WEATHER this year. Why, oh, why, would they impose this on troubled kids?

Last edited:
Daily Mail article. There was a death in 2014, too.

and this from the Rolling Stone article I posted:

The Tragedy of Kristen Chase
In June 1990, 16-year-old Kristen Chase died of heatstroke, collapsing after completing a five-mile day hike in Kane County.

The reasons why this child died during the first night at this camp are not limitless. The camp's tradition is to 'snatch and grab' the child, if you will, against their will. One story had a camper who was handcuffed for the travel from home to the facility. I don't think this young lad had access to anything to harm himself with such as a plastic spoon [they eventually learn how to make themselves wooden spoons from tree branches in the woods]. When taken or removed from the family home, the children do not have time to gather clothes in a satchel as they're issued clothing at the camp after being stripped.

Since his death is described as an unnatural event, there could have been asphyxiation involved.

Even though the child met a tragic fate after the parent(s) chose to send him there, they had no way of knowing they'd never see their son alive again. It's heartbreaking. They deserve to know how this unexpected death came to happen to their 12yo child within less than 24 hours of leaving his home.

Further, it's my understanding the enrollees are issued a small tarp and some string so they can build shelter for themselves upon arrival. They sleep outdoors because there's a lot of hiking, according to what I read. There's a point system that includes a blow up mattress but few earn one because it's v difficult to earn and accumulate points bc they're taken away so quickly and easily for alleged infractions.

An undiagnosed health condition could be possible but some pressure or strain needed to precipitate a fatal heart event of a 12yo child. It's a tragedy.
He could have been a victim of another child....

The camp had no business issuing them tarps and string in this weather. I'll bet the tarp wasn't even big enough to keep them dry (camp is prolly clueless), and to stay dry you kinda have to have a clue.

I pitched a tarp in a blizzard not too far from here (Hot Springs NC) in late March, and I survived bone dry for 2 nights. However, my tarp for me was called a 2-person tarp (so sideways rain wouldn't blow in); I was never at the edge of the tarp cover; I had a groundcloth underneath me; I could do all my cooking under the tarp (this is a big advantage of a tarp, since you can get CO poisoning from a live fire in a tent or even near a tent); I knew to have the front of the tarp not into the wind; I knew to pitch the tarp low to the ground to prevent spindrift from blowing in; I knew how to rig it with branches trees, and trekking poles; I could use terrain to minimize wind (e.g. pitching it against a log); and I was in good condition. I felt safe. There's no way these kids can do that; and if they aren't issued mattresses, they'll freeze from the cold air underneath them. And if they aren't issued a ground cloth..... The whole thing is despicable and a recipe for disaster. They should be in cabins, or at least lean-tos.

I'd never want to put a challenged child in these conditions. Maybe go on an occasional primitive outing, but the rest of it is crazy. Was this child from the city? That's even crazier. Imagine going from a major urban area to tarp living.

You can hike every day from a cabin! No need at all to live under a tarp for 3 months.

FWIW blow-up mattresses are EXTREMELY cold (as in, frigid), unless they are insulated. I seriously doubt these children were issued insulated mattresses. Those blow-up mattresses are too frail for kids IMO; they take finesse, otherwise they're gonna pop--don't blow them full like a balloon and then lie on them! If they were issued closed-cell foam, the ground would be hard (I wouldn't call them exactly mattresses), but they'd be nice and insulated, and very safe. Young people find it easier to sleep on those than adults. I had a habit of sleeping on a blow-up mattress for the cush, with a piece of closed-cell on top for the insulation. But I still had cold nights, even with all my clothes on.

Good post, Rolypolyoly.
What's to keep the youngster from thinking he is being arrested by LE? (Please, I am not at all linking this horror to any LE anywhere in the US.)
If I were the child/youth, I would certainly think I was being taken to jail and being put behind bars. And if I were already paranoid, or void of any self esteem, or both, I might try to end my life. What in my mind would make me be hopeful of anything?
Plus, the child would have to reckon with the observation that their parents CHOSE to do this to them, invited aggressive men to steal them away. What a betrayal.

Trails Carolina appears to be a 24/7/365 wilderness therapy camp owned and operated by Graham Shannonhouse. Opened in 2008.

No association with what most of us think of as a kids camp, summer or otherwise. This is a dedicated residential year round therapeutic institution designed to treat troubled teens.

Unlike a residential treatment center in a hospital setting there don’t seem to be any medical doctors or psychiatrists or even registered nurses on staff. I’m surprised given that teens with behavioral or mental health issues need specialized care. Maybe I’m wrong but I’d be reluctant to hand over my kid without a thorough evaluation by someone with a medical degree. JMO

Okay, so now I'm looking at Carolina Trails PR video in the DM article. They do have cabins, according to the video. They also have yurts, that aren't yurts at all: they're cabins with no windows, it looks like. Ahhhh...wait a minute. Those "campuses" are at Lake Toxaway, but you do the wilderness primitive stuff first.

$600 to $1,000 PER DAY!

In addition, the parents may be trying to protect younger children in the family. It’s a no-win situation for everyone.

jmo
bbm
Excellent point, Lilibet.
We had only one child, so in my world I hadn't really thought that much about other siblings in a situation such as this. (I was also an only child.)
These parents apparently did have more than one child. The situation there could have suddenly gotten more dangerous, and they may not have had enuff time to find a more appropriate place to send their son.
I just can't imagine what that whole family was having to endure. And now this...

Last edited:
Trails Carolina appears to be a 24/7/365 wilderness therapy camp owned and operated by Graham Shannonhouse. Opened in 2008.

No association with what most of us think of as a kids camp, summer or otherwise. This is a dedicated residential year round therapeutic institution designed to treat troubled teens.

Unlike a residential treatment center in a hospital setting there don’t seem to be any medical doctors or psychiatrists or even registered nurses on staff. I’m surprised given that teens with behavioral or mental health issues need specialized care. Maybe I’m wrong but I’d be reluctant to hand over my kid without a thorough evaluation by someone with a medical degree. JMO

I just looked at the blog on the Carolina Trails website. All the disorders they claim to treat!

Good post, Rolypolyoly.
What's to keep the youngster from thinking he is being arrested by LE? (Please, I am not at all linking this horror to any LE anywhere in the US.)
If I were the child/youth, I would certainly think I was being taken to jail and being put behind bars. And if I were already paranoid, or void of any self esteem, or both, I might try to end my life. What in my mind would make me be hopeful of anything?

In the experiences of people I know who have opted for this for their children, the people come in the middle of the night and they inform the teen of what they are there for, the parent/guardian is in communication with the teen regarding the destructive behavior, and the teen has an opportunity to speak with the parent/guardian with the staff transporting them. After the conversation, the teen is asked if they are willing to go. If not, the parent makes the decision to have them go under the power of the transport team.

No doubt this is traumatizing and can cause a severe break in the trust/bond with the parent/guardian. It is easier to have kids who are internalizing their pain/issues because they are often wanting the help. People with drug issues or severe violence issues or gang issues often do not see an issue with their behavior until they are at bottom or have had a catastrophic event.

Again, I have seen these programs work and not work. At issue is that we as a country don't have good mental health options, program options, getting out of poverty options and, often, mediocre school options. This is a no win for many kids and their families.

Adopted twins.
Can I also assume that they were not adopted as newborns?

I have a Facebook friend (HS classmate) who, along with her husband, adopted a brother and sister out of foster care at ages about 4 and 7 after they found out they could not have children of their own. As teenagers, the daughter chose to live on the streets at one point rather than follow Mom and Dad's rules, and their son went to a residential psychiatric treatment center in the area. Both now appear to be responsible adults, and good parents to their own children.

In the experiences of people I know who have opted for this for their children, the people come in the middle of the night and they inform the teen of what they are there for, the parent/guardian is in communication with the teen regarding the destructive behavior, and the teen has an opportunity to speak with the parent/guardian with the staff transporting them. After the conversation, the teen is asked if they are willing to go. If not, the parent makes the decision to have them go under the power of the transport team.

No doubt this is traumatizing and can cause a severe break in the trust/bond with the parent/guardian. It is easier to have kids who are internalizing their pain/issues because they are often wanting the help. People with drug issues or severe violence issues or gang issues often do not see an issue with their behavior until they are at bottom or have had a catastrophic event.

Again, I have seen these programs work and not work. At issue is that we as a country don't have good mental health options, program options, getting out of poverty options and, often, mediocre school options. This is a no win for many kids and their families.

I’m trying to think like the parent of a severely troubled teen who is a danger to themself and others. If you’ve done the research to find the best possible residential treatment program for your child, how are you going to get them there? If you try to take them yourself, your teen will not submit and will probably escape at the airport or from the car. A transport team such as you describe in your first paragraph (where there is communication) seems to be the only option. Is the trauma and break in trust worth it? It may seem like a risk worth taking to a parent trying to save their child. I‘m not condoning these transport teams, but in these extreme situations there are no good options and I can see why parents consent to it. No doubt it seems like the lesser of two evils. But how horrible that there aren’t better options available.

JMO

Last edited:
Paris Hilton was a victim of one of these places and was sexually assaulted among other horrors.

It seems that these camps are founded, run and staffed by sadists for the most part.

JMO

Pathological Demand Avoidance? Isn't that what kids are all about anyway?

Refusing to clean their room, etc. is NOT the same as setting fires, acting out sexually, assaulting other people, etc.

No. Pathological Demand Avoidance is a profile of autism, it is a disability. It isn't a behavioural disorder either and it is debilitating.
The way to parent a child with PDA is low demand, it is too complex for me to go into in one post, but trust me when I say it's nothing like the usual kids pushing boundaries and acting out, and it can cause such self loathing in children who have it.
It is often confused with O.D.D which is a completely different thing.

This is coming from the experience of having a child with PDA, who says he wishes he was dead almost every day.

I can tell you that if I sent my child to a place like that, even with the best intentions in the world, he wouldn't survive it, and I am horrified that anyone who has a child diagnosed with PDA would even consider it.

Last edited:
I’m trying to think like the parent of a severely troubled teen who is a danger to themself and others. If you’ve done the research to find the best possible residential treatment program for your child, how are you going to get them there? If you try to take them yourself, your teen will not submit and will probably escape at the airport or from the car. A transport team such as you describe in your first paragraph (where there is communication) seems to be the only option. Is the trauma and break in trust worth it? It may seem like a risk worth taking to a parent trying to save their child. I‘m not condoning these transport teams, but in these extreme situations there are no good options and I can see why parents consent to it. No doubt it seems like the lesser of two evils. But how horrible that there aren’t better options available.

JMO

A teen who is a danger to themselves or others belongs in a hospital ER for a full evaluation, not kidnapped in the middle of the night to a wilderness camp whose reported untrained staff can abuse them into submission.

There is no doubt our mental health system is under severe strain and there are treatment deserts. That is no excuse for a wilderness camp. It's like saying if there's no therapy available for an adult with depression, let's ship them off to prison instead. It is not the same. A wilderness program is NOT treatment, IMO. Just because they're children and we don't know what to do doesn't mean we should abandon reason and allow them to be traumatized. We wouldn't allow adults to be treated this way. Why on earth is the bar lower for defenseless kids?

MOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back