Found Deceased GA - University of Georgia Laken Hope Riley, 22, found dead near University of Georgia intramural fields, foul play suspected, 22 Feb 2024

I think false imprisonment is just not allowing a person to leave an area or escape. The victim is blocked or hindered from leaving.
So, I’m not a lawyer but have a good friend who is an attorney. We went to UGA together and were roommates maybe a tenth of a mile from where this happened, so she and I are equally invested in this awful crime. She says that “slight movement” is sufficient for the kidnapping charge if it conceals or isolates the victim, makes committing the crime easier, or lessens the risk of detection or helps avoid apprehension. She also thinks the long list of charges contains lesser included offenses so they won’t all be brought to trial. Like false imprisonment is a lesser included offense of kidnapping, so if one is convicted of kidnapping, they cannot also be convicted of false imprisonment if that makes sense.

JMO and, well, her opinion.

Laken Riley’s Facebook page contains a few photos of her on a beach and in a graduation scene. The page says she attended the University of Georgia and was in the class of 2024. However, she had switched universities.

Riley’s mother posted frequently on Facebook about her daughter’s promising future.

Riley’s mom wrote on Facebook on February 3, “Proud mom moment! Laken made Dean’s List (her name is in the top right corner). This girl works harder than any one I know! She is going to be a phenomenal nurse ❤️

In January, Riley’s mother wrote, “Happy birthday to my beautiful, smart, hard working, kind and thoughtful Laken . I am so proud of you and love you beyond words. I wish I could be with you today. I hope you have an awesome day celebrating with your friends! ”
BBM. Just here to say that someone who was in nursing school at Augusta University’s campus in Athens would likely still say they were at UGA. As an alum, I had many friends who took this same route. If you attend UGA for two years and then apply into this competitive program, all that really changes about your collegiate life is the location of your classes. You still live with UGA students off campus, still participate in UGA events including Greek life, etc. For all intents and purposes you’re at UGA though technically you attend Augusta University. UGA does not have their own nursing school, so students apply into a very selective, smaller program in Athens offered through a partnership with Augusta University, formerly the Medical College of Georgia. Hope this offers some clarity!

Absolutely sickened by this case! What a beautiful young woman Laken Hope Riley was and to have her bright future taken away so callously….tragic, senseless and avoidable.

The DOJ said Ibarra “claimed a credible fear of return to Venezuela” after being arrested. He is currently in state custody awaiting an asylum hearing.

According to the DOJ, Ibarra had been arrested three previous times. He was first arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol and driving without a license in September, theft by shoplifting in October and failure to appear for a fingerprintable offense in December.

I don’t understand why if he were SO afraid of returning Venezuela, he would play fire with criminal acts to begin with. Ludicrous he is claiming asylum at this point.

DIEGO-JOSE-IBARRO_BOOKING-PHOTO_FEB2024.jpg

Diego Ibarra, 29, of Venezuela, was one of the three men questioned by officials on Friday in the death of 22-year-old Augusta University nursing student Laken Riley. His 26-year-old brother would eventually be arrested for her murder.

The elder Ibarra was stopped by Athens-Clarke County police on Friday because he met the description of a person of interest in the case. He showed investigators a U.S. permanent resident card, commonly known as a green card, as his identification. Investigators, believing the card was fake, contacted Homeland Security Investigations

Suspect in custody in death of 22-year-old on UGA's campus

Diego had been arrested three times since entering the U.S. They say he had been arrested once for a DUI and driving without a license. They also arrested him on shoplifting charges and then, lastly, failure to appear for a fingerprintable offense.

In a tribute posted to Instagram, Augusta’s College of Nursing described Riley as “a bright and dedicated student” whose “compassion and care” was evidenced in her desire to be a nurse. “We know that she would have been a wonderful nurse, and her passing is a loss for the profession and the communities she would have graciously served.”

The University of Georgia has planned a moment of silence before all home sporting events, including men’s and women’s basketball games, this weekend.

Two student Greek organizations, Alpha Chi Omega and Kappa Sigma, are jointly hosting a vigil on Monday at 3 p.m. at Tate Plaza on campus.

*eta:
A day before Laken Riley’s body was found at the University of Georgia campus, her mother Allyson Phillips shared on Wednesday a heartbreaking post about missing her on a trip to Colorado.

“We had a great time with great friends celebrating Brinda’s birthday in Crested Butte, CO! Massages, skiing, great food and beautiful views! Only thing missing was Laken Riley ❤️,” she wrote with a series of photos of their family.

Riley’s sister, Lauren Phillips, paid tribute to her in an Instagram post on Friday, calling her “the best sister and my built in best friend from the very first second.”

“This isn’t fair and I will never understand it but I know you are in heaven with the man you loved most right now,” Ms Phillips wrote.

“I’m not sure how I’m going to do this but it’s all going to be for you from now on. I cannot wait to give you the biggest hug someday. I will miss and love you forever Laken.”

Last edited:
attention is one thing and being bashed in the head and killed is another. what is wrong with these murderers? Is killing just the most fun thing in their lives? Do they all think that they will never be caught? Are they proud and happy after this? I used to think is it just some atavistic throw back to reptile days and their hind brain just causes them to kill like a wild animal? ... lions in the Serengeti... gecko eats a fly...
Let’s keep innocent reptiles out if this

I don't know what goes into applying for the status of refugee but in my opinion it shouldn't be granted after you've been arrested and committed numerous crimes. The brother has been arrested numerous times and there is no telling what else he's been involved in and not yet caught for. My sympathy is with the victims, not the perps. All JMO

I am really incensed by this murder. This could have been my daughter...

The idea of telling sexual predators to be a safe person puzzles me, and I mean that respectfully.
I know telling girls to stay safe can be seen as victim blaming.
But telling sexual homicidal killers to behave seems optimistic at best.

My initial comment was a side comment and I don't want to derail the thread.

I am talking about the general cultural conversation needs to shift from telling women to be safe to telling men to do no harm. It shifts the onus from someone who might be a victim to someone who might be a perp and hopefully would make a cultural shift happen where violence against women (and children) becomes more visible, becomes a more important topic, and is taken more seriously than it currently seems to be in general. For example, a person being stalked or a victim of DV is often not believed or the system can't or won't do much to help often until it is too late. Or too many indigenous and minority women are murdered or disappear and... there's just nothing.

Again, I am talking about a cultural mindshift. It takes years -- kind of like how there have been cultural shifts around cigarette use, drunk driving, and wearing seatbelts.

I may not be explaining it well but I hope some can at least consider the benefit such a shift would bring if we, as a culture, made the idea of violence toward women a stronger concept of men needing to stop doing violence rather than women just needing to protect themselves.

(Yes, the issues are more than that. I know. I can hear the arguments starting. My comment is general and long term, hoping for a better future.)

Moo.

Suspect name is Jose Antonio Ibarra

Laken Riley did not know the suspect, police say.

Jose Antonio Ibarra charges:

Malice murder
Felony murder
Aggravated battery
Aggravated assault
False imprisonment
Hindering 911 call
Concealing the death

Laken Riley died of blunt force trauma, the chief says.Called it a crime of opportunity, Jose Antonio Ibarra did not know Laken, police say.

Laken Riley was a friend, daughter, and sister.A nursing student. Member of Alpha Chi Omega at UGA.She was on the deans list — and also a talented runner. Friends say her infectious smile and contagious laugh lit up every room

1708790674114.png

Police continue to investigate tonight at Jose Antonio Ibarra’s apartment not far from the University of Georgia campus.

Jose Antonio Ibarra was in the country illegally, NewsNation correspondent @AliBradleyTV reports.Ibarra is charged with killing Laken Riley at the University of Georgia. He came from Venezuela and crossed in September of 2022 into El Paso, according to Bradley.

Jose Antonio Ibarra mug shot. He is accused of killing Laken Riley at the University of Georgia.

1708790745284.png

Latest from the jail in Athens, Georgia where Jose Antonio Ibarra is now.

1/3 University of Georgia murder suspect Jose Antonio Ibarra's brother was also arrested yesterday.Police approached the brother - Diego Ibarra - because he matched the description of the homicide suspect. Investigators say that is when he presented them with a fake green card.

2/3 Investigators say since entering the USA, Diego Ibarra has been arrested 3 times by Athens, Georgia law enforcement. Charges included driving under the influence of alcohol, driving without a license, shoplifting, and a fingerprint offense.

3/3 Diego Ibarra is now charged with possessing a fake green card.He is in state custody and faces a maximum of 10 years in prison.

This clears up a few things that had me confused. I saw another Ibarra on the jail booking list when I woke up in the middle of the night and figured it couldn't be a coincidence.

Edited: to organize JAI's charges

Last edited:
Suspect name is Jose Antonio Ibarra

Laken Riley did not know the suspect, police say.

Jose Antonio Ibarra charges:Malice murderFelony murderAggravated batteryAggravated assaultFalse imprisonmentHindering 911 callConcealing the death

Laken Riley died of blunt force trauma, the chief says.Called it a crime of opportunity, Jose Antonio Ibarra did not know Laken, police say.

Laken Riley was a friend, daughter, and sister.A nursing student. Member of Alpha Chi Omega at UGA.She was on the deans list — and also a talented runner. Friends say her infectious smile and contagious laugh lit up every room

View attachment 485849

Police continue to investigate tonight at Jose Antonio Ibarra’s apartment not far from the University of Georgia campus.

Jose Antonio Ibarra was in the country illegally, NewsNation correspondent @AliBradleyTV reports.Ibarra is charged with killing Laken Riley at the University of Georgia. He came from Venezuela and crossed in September of 2022 into El Paso, according to Bradley.

Jose Antonio Ibarra mug shot. He is accused of killing Laken Riley at the University of Georgia.

View attachment 485851

Latest from the jail in Athens, Georgia where Jose Antonio Ibarra is now.

1/3 University of Georgia murder suspect Jose Antonio Ibarra's brother was also arrested yesterday.Police approached the brother - Diego Ibarra - because he matched the description of the homicide suspect. Investigators say that is when he presented them with a fake green card.

2/3 Investigators say since entering the USA, Diego Ibarra has been arrested 3 times by Athens, Georgia law enforcement. Charges included driving under the influence of alcohol, driving without a license, shoplifting, and a fingerprint offense.

3/3 Diego Ibarra is now charged with possessing a fake green card.He is in state custody and faces a maximum of 10 years in prison.

This clears up a few things that had me confused. I saw another Ibarra on the jail booking list when I woke up in the middle of the night and figured it couldn't be a coincidence.
DUI and Driving w/o a license. Wonder how he got the car. I realize he could have bought it from anyone but I would like to know more. Maybe the brothers were working side hustles to fund their general living expenses.

DIEGO-JOSE-IBARRO_BOOKING-PHOTO_FEB2024.jpg

Diego Ibarra, 29, of Venezuela, was one of the three men questioned by officials on Friday in the death of 22-year-old Augusta University nursing student Laken Riley. His 26-year-old brother would eventually be arrested for her murder.

The elder Ibarra was stopped by Athens-Clarke County police on Friday because he met the description of a person of interest in the case. He showed investigators a U.S. permanent resident card, commonly known as a green card, as his identification. Investigators, believing the card was fake, contacted Homeland Security Investigations

Suspect in custody in death of 22-year-old on UGA's campus's campus

Diego had been arrested three times since entering the U.S. They say he had been arrested once for a DUI and driving without a license. They also arrested him on shoplifting charges and then, lastly, failure to appear for a fingerprintable offense.
The brothers look very similar!

Have we heard anything about his job? He must have had income since he was renting an apartment with his brother? Curious if he was employed by UGA or had access to students on a day to day basis?
If he is here illegally, then he can't work here legally. I doubt UGA would hire him. Most universities use e-verify or some other way to show valid right to work in the U.S. (either work visa, student visa, permanent residence card, or proof of citizenship). Many universities also check fingerprints by the universities' campus safety/police officers that are checked with FBI database before your hiring is official.

EBM to add "e-verify"

Last edited:
If he is here illegally, then he can't work here legally. I doubt UGA would hire him. Most universities use e-check or some other way to show valid right to work in the U.S. (either work visa, student visa, permanent residence card, or proof of citizenship). Many universities also do check of fingerprints by the universities' campus safety/police officers that is checked with FBI database before your hiring is official.
My husband works for the university, and you’re exactly right. No way he would’ve been able to work for UGA.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hongwuzhiye59
Back