Found Deceased GA - University of Georgia Laken Hope Riley, 22, found dead near University of Georgia intramural fields, foul play suspected, 22 Feb 2024

Since the time is listed as 9am-1pm, I am going to guess she left to run at 9am and that makes a lot of sense then that the friend called for help just after 12. It is just chilling to read the parts about bashing her head and dragging her to another location. I wonder if that was visible? I still am just so disturbed this happened in daylight hours when there had to be other people walking/running by just before or after and then he was able to slip away and leave her there out of view. :(

Not sure unless it comes from a driver's license ?
He didn't have one. I am wondering if past arrest records were available to them? I'm sure when arrested in New York assuming he gave his actual name, would have the info from that arrest. Maybe some record from when he entered the US in El Paso? Or perhaps the initial info was guessed based on the video they saw? I could see weight going up and down because from his photos it's clear that his weight did fluctuate, but height would not.

Pepper spray, taser or even martial arts-type training could help some feel more empowered to repel a dangerous person and escape but then again, maybe not. The odds are always going to be in favor of the more physically strong individual. JMO
Yes, I have read many stories about women who get away by being prepared in that way.

JMO

Jose Ibarra, who is accused of murdering 22-year-old nursing student Laken Riley on the University of Georgia campus, "disfiguring her skull" according to a freshly filed arrest affidavit.

According to arrest affidavits acquired on Tuesday by Associated Press, Ibarra dragged Riley's body to a secluded area, though it is unclear if this happened before or after her death. The claim was made to support the allegation that he concealed a body.

Authorities have not said exactly how Riley was killed, only that her death was caused by blunt force trauma. Further details about the type of object used, or exactly how she was killed, are not included in the affidavits for arrest.

According to ICE, Ibarra was arrested by New York police on Aug. 31 and charged with acting in a manner to injure a child less than 17 and a motor vehicle license violation. Ibarra was released before ICE could ask New York officials to hold him until immigration authorities could take him into custody, ICE said. New York officials said Sunday they had no record of the arrest.

Jose Ibarra, who is accused of murdering 22-year-old nursing student Laken Riley on the University of Georgia campus, "disfiguring her skull" according to a freshly filed arrest affidavit.

According to arrest affidavits acquired on Tuesday by Associated Press, Ibarra dragged Riley's body to a secluded area, though it is unclear if this happened before or after her death. The claim was made to support the allegation that he concealed a body.

Authorities have not said exactly how Riley was killed, only that her death was caused by blunt force trauma. Further details about the type of object used, or exactly how she was killed, are not included in the affidavits for arrest.

According to ICE, Ibarra was arrested by New York police on Aug. 31 and charged with acting in a manner to injure a child less than 17 and a motor vehicle license violation. Ibarra was released before ICE could ask New York officials to hold him until immigration authorities could take him into custody, ICE said. New York officials said Sunday they had no record of the arrest.
New York has no record of the arrest? I understand they they will not cooperate with ICE but do they also wipe arrest records? That doesn't seem to make sense. Maybe the reporter got it wrong or spoke to the wrong officials.

New York has no record of the arrest? I understand they they will not cooperate with ICE but do they also wipe arrest records? That doesn't seem to make sense. Maybe the reporter got it wrong or spoke to the wrong officials.
The more I read about this case, the angrier I get. It seems that Laken Riley's blood is on more hands than just the perp's.

Last edited:
According to the criminal complaint and sworn affidavit, Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) was made aware of Ibarra’s undocumented presence in the United States on Feb. 23, 2024. An Athens-Clarke County Police Department (ACCPD) officer approached Ibarra earlier today because he matched the description of a suspect in the homicide investigation. Ibarra presented the officer with a U.S. permanent resident card (also called a green card) as identification. The card was determined to be fraudulent. Ibarra is a citizen of Venezuela and was processed for expedited removal but claimed a credible fear of return to Venezuela. He was consequently released from immigration custody pending adjudication of his claim for asylum on April 30, 2023.

According to the criminal complaint and sworn affidavit, since entering the country, Ibarra has been arrested three times by Athens law enforcement: on or about Sept. 25, 2023, Ibarra was arrested by ACCPD for driving under the influence of alcohol and driving without a license; on or about Oct. 27, 2023, Ibarra was arrested by ACCPD for theft by shoplifting; and on or about Dec. 8, 2023, Ibarra was arrested by ACCPD for failure to appear for a fingerprintable offense.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Mike Morrison is prosecuting the case

Last edited:
ETA: It’s now undefined that she will be appearing.

His estranged wife will be on shortly on News Nation.

He has been arrested several times in the last year. His green card was illegal.

I hope that ICE is looking into the "estranged wife's" situation as well, since she told the MSM that she and Ibarra got married in order to strengthen their case for asylum when they crossed the U.S. border illegally with her child. A couple with a young child might have a better chance of getting asylum, so they committed fraud. I would think that this fraud would disqualify her from asylum status.

<modsnip - quoted post was off topic>

Specifically to Ibarra, how did he and his brother pay for their apartments, food, phones, etc ?

I've seen no reference to Jose Antonio Ibarra working and only a UGA dishwasher job for his brother where he was not paid. IIRC, one of them was arrested for shoplifting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sheila Ross helped secure a murder conviction against Scott Davis in the David Coffin murder. Great choice.

Not directed at you, just jumping off your post with a question. Why do you think the Athens, GA district attorney is bringing in a special prosecutor? Wonder why they don't have the resources within the D.A.'s office to prosecute the case?

Reactions: d4j
Not directed at you, just jumping off your post with a question. Why do you think the Athens, GA district attorney is bringing in a special prosecutor? Wonder why they don't have the resources within the D.A.'s office to prosecute the case?

They likely do have the resources but this is already a high profile case and Ross was probably appointed to preserve impartiality as Athens has labeled as a sanctuary city.

Augusta University nursing student, Laken Riley, 22, was killed while out running in the University of Georgia trails by Venezuelan native Jose Antonia Ibarra, according to police - details the AP failed to mention in its Saturday report, angering many.

'Hi, female athlete here. I ran this exact trail every single week of my college career. I guess I could have been snuffed out before I graduated, had a career, family, and the professionals at the AP would lie about the suspect bc it fits a preferred narrative,' said conservative political commentator Mary Katherine Ham.

'Ibarra is not merely an “Athens resident,” and Laken Riley and every other student was put in danger by not enforcing laws and allowing a man arrested 3x after crossing the border to hang out and work on campus.

'He had to escalate to alleged murder to be held and/or risk deportation. Good policies. Good work. This story even cites the 2018 murder of Mollie Tibbetts in IA as a reason solo female runners should be worried, *also without noting her killer was an illegal immigrant.* Just stop lying!'

Records show he and his brother, Diego Ibarra, were then arrested in Georgia for stealing nearly $200 worth of goods from an Athens Walmart, and he had a warrant out for his arrest when he allegedly murdered Riley.

A bench warrant was issued for Jose Antonio Ibarra’s arrest on Dec. 20 after he failed to appear in court on that case, records show.
“A criminal history for the two were ran and both returned having no prior convictions for shoplifting,” an incident report said.

The Athens-Clarke County Police Department said it’s standard operating procedure to give citations for certain misdemeanor offenses including shoplifting.

“While we can’t speak about an ongoing investigation, it is consistent with practice that individuals charged with misdemeanor shoplifting and other misdemeanor offenses may be released on citation,” the department said

According to the criminal complaint and sworn affidavit, since entering the country, Ibarra has been arrested three times by Athens law enforcement: on or about Sept. 25, 2023, Ibarra was arrested by ACCPD for driving under the influence of alcohol and driving without a license; on or about Oct. 27, 2023, Ibarra was arrested by ACCPD for theft by shoplifting; and on or about Dec. 8, 2023, Ibarra was arrested by ACCPD for failure to appear for a fingerprintable offense.

UPDATE (2/27): Diego Ibarra, the brother of the man charged with murdering a woman on the University of Georgia’s campus, will make his first court appearance in Macon on Monday.

Melissa Hodges, the spokesperson for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Middle District of Georgia, says the appearance will happen before U.S. Magistrate Judge Charles Weigle at the U.S. Courthouse at 2:30 p.m.

ATLANTA, Ga. (Atlanta News First) - The preliminary cause of death has been released by the coroner after a nursing student was killed on the University of Georgia campus last week.

Laken Riley, 22, died from blunt force trauma to the head, according to the Athens-Clarke County Coroner’s Office and Morgue. The coroner’s office said it will be several weeks until the official autopsy report is released.

A Woodstock native, Riley’s funeral is set for Friday, March 1 at 2 p.m. at Woodstock City Church. There will be a visitation before the service will be from noon to 2 p.m. at the church.

This is a developing story. Check back with Atlanta News First for updates.

Preliminary cause of death released after nursing student killed on UGA campus

Updated: 43 minutes ago

Specifically to Ibarra, how did he and his brother pay for their apartments, food, phones, etc ?

I've seen no reference to Jose Antonio Ibarra working and only a UGA dishwasher job for his brother where he was not paid. IIRC, one of them was arrested for shoplifting.
We've seen the info posted about Jose Ibarrra working for food delivery services in New York.. I don't understand how THAT is possible and that is alarming in itself due to him not having proper documentation to prove who he is and that he is legally here and allowed to work.. so he's bringing food to people's houses and we see what he is capable of.. do these businesses NOT vet those applying to work for them? I do not understand this. I certainly would not want someone bringing anything to my house if they were not vetted to verify identity and criminal history.

There also seems to be a vehicle involved since the brother was arrested for DUI and driving without a license.. so was Jose in New York.. so again how did Jose even get approved to be a delivery person without a license??

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back