Found Deceased GA - University of Georgia Laken Hope Riley, 22, found dead near University of Georgia intramural fields, foul play suspected, 22 Feb 2024

These are the dumpsters where neighbors say Jose Ibarra ditched bloody clothes and evidence. You can see the running trail Laken Riley was killed on right behind it.

This is Jose Ibarra's apartment complex in Athens, GA. This is his next door neighbor's security camera. The neighbor tells me it caught Ibarra taking bloody clothes and evidence and ditching it in various dumpsters on the property. He handed over all his footage to the police. Other neighbors say Ibarra was the quiet-type, who sat outside his studio apartment where he lived with four others for all hours of the day. A different neighbor tells me she's seen Laken Riley use the apartment complex as a frequent shortcut to get to the running trail where she was brutally murdered. She tells me it's highly likely that Ibarra saw her running in the past and knew her schedule.

"his studio apartment where he lived with four others for all hours of the day"

He lived in a studio apartment with FOUR others! But his brother was next door correct? B/c they had slightly different addresses in the jail booking files.

This is Jose Ibarra's apartment complex in Athens, GA. This is his next door neighbor's security camera. The neighbor tells me it caught Ibarra taking bloody clothes and evidence and ditching it in various dumpsters on the property. He handed over all his footage to the police. Other neighbors say Ibarra was the quiet-type, who sat outside his studio apartment where he lived with four others for all hours of the day. A different neighbor tells me she's seen Laken Riley use the apartment complex as a frequent shortcut to get to the running trail where she was brutally murdered. She tells me it's highly likely that Ibarra saw her running in the past and knew her schedule.
omg??? I had no idea his apartment complex was this close to the trail. !!??

Here is one of my many interviews with neighbors who tell me Jose Ibarra, an illegal immigrant from Venezuela, would sit outside of his apartment all day long, watching the exact path Laken Riley would take on her regular runs on a popular trail through University of Georgia.

These are the dumpsters where neighbors say Jose Ibarra ditched bloody clothes and evidence. You can see the running trail Laken Riley was killed on right behind it.

No wonder he sat outside a lot if he shared a studio apartment with four other people. And the neighbor said that Riley would take a shortcut to her running trail through this apartment complex, so he would have seen her do this frequently. So it is likely he targeted her.

Glad that the neighbor's security camera showed Ibarra disposing of bloody clothes in several apartment garbage bins. Lots of evidence, it sounds like, against this guy.

No wonder he sat outside a lot if he shared a studio apartment with four other people. And the neighbor said that Riley would take a shortcut to her running trail through this apartment complex, so he would have seen her do this frequently. So it is likely he targeted her.

Glad that the neighbor's security camera showed Ibarra disposing of bloody clothes in several apartment garbage bins. Lots of evidence, it sounds like, against this guy.

Given that Ibarra was quickly arrested the day after the murders, I would guess one of the neighbors called LE with what they had seen. Not surprising he was stalking her.

Since now we know that Iberra likely targeted Riley and knew her running schedule and route that she took past his apartment complex to get to the trail, then did he take a weapon with him? Or use a rock or something else as a weapon at the scene of the crime. Would it make a difference in the charges filed against him if LE knew he took a weapon with him when he set out to target Riley? And, if so, would this be a factor in the prosecution regarding going for a death sentence versus life in prison? In some states that might make a difference, but not familiar with Georgia law.

All of this is so confusing and I don't understand why it is..

So both were arrested for shoplifting in Oct.. records showed no priors for shoplifting.. .but what about Jose's arrest in New York in Sept.. not for shoplifting, but other serious things.. and his brothers arrest just the month before for DUI and driving w/out a license? Those didn't matter? It just mattered that they didn't have a shoplifting prior? No concern that both brothers had been arrested in the previous 2 months for other crimes and no worries that they were not here legally and committing not just one, but now 2 different crimes in a short time frame?
Jose's NY arrest was because his stepson was on a scooter without a helmet.. against traffic laws and not a safe idea, but I wouldn't call that a really serious offense. NY may not have put a national warrant out for that, especially since he was released.

And he would not be held liable for his brother's DUI. So a handful of run-ins but it's not like he had a particularly violent past.

Since now we know that Iberra likely targeted Riley and knew her running schedule and route that she took past his apartment complex to get to the trail, then did he take a weapon with him? Or use a rock or something else as a weapon at the scene of the crime. Would it make a difference in the charges filed against him if LE knew he took a weapon with him when he set out to target Riley? And, if so, would this be a factor in the prosecution regarding going for a death sentence versus life in prison? In some states that might make a difference, but not familiar with Georgia law.
I’m worried about a hammer. :(

No wonder some of the neighbors are worried about going public, I wonder if Ibarra's roommates were also illegal immigrants. And if they have scattered by now, or are still living there. I am not saying they are guilty of violent crimes but the neighbors must be nervous about speaking publicly. The neighbor in this news video is brave, IMO, and is doing the right thing by turning over her security camera videos to LE.

Seeing that shortcut that Riley took to the trail is really eye-opening. And the trail itself in that area near the apartments. I wonder how far down the trail from his apartment complex that the murder took place. Was he waiting in the wooded area beside the trail? Laying in wait is often another enhancement that can lead to additional criminal charges and sentencing enhancements. LE are still investigating, so it is likely that additional charges could be forthcoming.

Ibarra was arrested in 2022 after entering the US illegally and was “paroled and released for further processing,” according to a statement from ICE.

In October 2023, the suspect and his brother, Diego Ibarra, also received misdemeanor citations for shoplifting just over $200 of clothes and food in Athens, Georgia, according to a police report. The pair was advised about a pre-arrest diversion program, the report said, but CNN could not yet determine whether they pursued it.

(the brother) Diego Ibarra, who is also undocumented, was also arrested Friday and faces a federal charge of possessing a fraudulent green card and up to a decade in prison, according to the US Attorney’s Office for the Middle District of Georgia.

During the stop, Diego Ibarra gave the officer a fraudulent permanent resident card, a criminal complaint states. Federal authorities were then notified.

The brother first encountered US Border Patrol agents in April 2023, and he was processed for immediate removal, according to court documents.

Diego Ibarra “claimed a fear of return to Venezuela,” and due to a finding of credible fear, he was released, pending adjudication of his claim for asylum, according to court documents.

“(Diego) Ibarra has not applied for or lawfully obtained a permanent resident card.”

At least seven other women have been killed during runs in recent years.

"It's happening all over," Jeremy Woodward, over of Live Life to the Fittest in Concord, said. "I talked to runner friends all over the country, and they are all saying the same thing, especially females. They are all dealing with this at a higher rate than they've ever dealt with before."

Woodward is a gym owner, and he runs safety clinics called Run Empowered. He said people should run with a friend if possible. Most importantly, he said, is to be aware.

"Certain things to look for, look for vehicles that might be passing you multiple times, vehicles that may slow down as they're passing you, people that just may not stand out correctly," he said. "So, if in your gut you don't feel that something is right, chances are that's not right."

He said there are safety tools runners can carry, including small knives and deterrents such as pepper spray.

Jose's NY arrest was because his stepson was on a scooter without a helmet.. against traffic laws and not a safe idea, but I wouldn't call that a really serious offense. NY may not have put a national warrant out for that, especially since he was released.

And he would not be held liable for his brother's DUI. So a handful of run-ins but it's not like he had a particularly violent past.
No of course he wouldn't be liable for his brother's DUI, but when they were arrested for shoplifting, it sounds like it wasn't a big deal because that was a first offence for shoplifting... my question was what about his own arrest in NY and his brothers prior arrest just before this for DUI? Both cited for driving w/out a license also. I was not saying he should be liable for his brother, but more so questioning why it wasn't a concern at all when they were arrested for shoplifting because both had a prior arrest and both were recent prior arrests also AND they were not here legally. I think it's reasonable to expect that someone being arrested for a second time each should have had something more done than what was done. That could have prevented this senseless murder.

We've seen the info posted about Jose Ibarrra working for food delivery services in New York.. I don't understand how THAT is possible and that is alarming in itself due to him not having proper documentation to prove who he is and that he is legally here and allowed to work.. so he's bringing food to people's houses and we see what he is capable of.. do these businesses NOT vet those applying to work for them? I do not understand this. I certainly would not want someone bringing anything to my house if they were not vetted to verify identity and criminal history.

There also seems to be a vehicle involved since the brother was arrested for DUI and driving without a license.. so was Jose in New York.. so again how did Jose even get approved to be a delivery person without a license??
riding a scooter with a 5 yr old child on the back of it...IMO..so he was also baby sitting IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SamStevens357
Back