Found Deceased OH - Shannon “Chase” Sizemore, 18, missing from gathering near strip mine, Hanging Rock, 24 Feb 2024

According to the Lawrence County Sheriff’s Office, police were investigating a report of underage drinking near Hanging Rock around Park Road when it was noticed that Shannon “Chase” Sizemore was unaccounted for. The investigation into his disappearance began around 1 a.m.

Picnic at Hanging Rock is set in the Australian outback and is fiction
Yes, that was just a bit of facetiousness. It's set in Victoria, though, not the Outback. ;)

Returning to the case at hand, it's quite concerning that over 24 hours have passed with no sign of Chase. However, the park spans 750 acres and is described as "remote", so it's possible when the teens scattered, he simply ran until he became lost. Hoping for a good outcome.

Found deceased

Truly awful news, I was hoping he was just injured somewhere. Evidently, when the cops came, Chase jumped in the pond to avoid being found. He likely consumed alcohol which impaired his ability to navigate the water, being dark added to the danger.

My thoughts are with his family. Everyone loved this kid - the whole community is grieving.

Truly awful news, I was hoping he was just injured somewhere. Evidently, when the cops came, Chase jumped in the pond to avoid being found. He likely consumed alcohol which impaired his ability to navigate the water, being dark added to the danger.

My thoughts are with his family. Everyone loved this kid - the whole community is grieving.
So heartbreaking. An 18 year old's brain doesn't comprehend how getting caught underage drinking may not be the end of the world :(. I feel so terrible for his family.

Not only impaired and dark…in February in the Midwest, water is COLD. I’m shocked an 18 year old fully clothed in hoodie and whatnot thought he could swim across a near freezing pond.

Sounds like he made it 50 feet, went into shock, sank like a rock. Even though kids heard splashing search and rescue couldn’t find any evidence of him in that pond for 36 hours or so.

“…they discovered a body in the pond closest to where the gathering…was being held.

They said that the body was fully clothed and was in the mud at the bottom of the pond.

The sheriff’s department reports Sizemore was located about 11 feet down and about 53 feet from the shoreline.

The water temperature was around 44 degrees.”

Moo...poor guy, probably just a mistake he ran into water. I live opposite a beach, every year there a beach parties, cops show up, everyone runs into the dark.. The cops won't chase them in the dark...moo

Finding lots of interesting information about cold water risks. I live in the Midwest well north of this tragedy (and have three children), but don’t know how common knowledge it is. It has been VERY unseasonably warm many days, but occasional cold stretches and many nights still in the 20s F. When it is 60° during the day in February, Chase just may not have realized the water was 44 and how cold that is to your body compared to air temperatures.

What are the 4 stages of Cold Water Immersion?​

Stage 1 - Cold shock

Stage 2 - Swimming failure

Stage 3 - Hypothermia

Stage 4 - Post-rescue collapse

Stage 1 - Cold shock​

A sudden, unexpected entry into cold water may cause a reflexive "gasp" (cold shock) allowing water to enter the lungs. Drowning can be almost instantaneous. When you realize you’re about to fall into the water, cover your face with your hands. Covering your mouth is an attempt to avoid gulping water into your lungs.

Stage 2 - Swimming failure​

• Loss of manual dexterity.
  • Inability to match breathing rate to swimming stroke.
  • Loss of coordination in the muscles in your arms and legs as they get cooler, increasing your swimming angle.
  • Increased swimming angle, requiring more energy to keep your head above water.
  • Possible drowning.

Not only impaired and dark…in February in the Midwest, water is COLD. I’m shocked an 18 year old fully clothed in hoodie and whatnot thought he could swim across a near freezing pond.

Sounds like he made it 50 feet, went into shock, sank like a rock. Even though kids heard splashing search and rescue couldn’t find any evidence of him in that pond for 36 hours or so.

“…they discovered a body in the pond closest to where the gathering…was being held.

They said that the body was fully clothed and was in the mud at the bottom of the pond.

The sheriff’s department reports Sizemore was located about 11 feet down and about 53 feet from the shoreline.

The water temperature was around 44 degrees.”
Bbm.
That is far deeper than I thought !
Awful.
When I visualize a pond, I'm thinking of a small body of water you could stand up in.
:(

Hypothermia can also strike VERY quickly at this time of year.

RIP, Chase.

I will admit after looking at the map and info about the area ,I didnt feel uplifted. I saw at least 9 bodies of water, even so I had hope.
I am really glad everyone will know what his untimely ending was and this will not be a 25 year mystery. It Had all the elements to be such a case to haunt his family for generations, with what if's. My sympathies to his loved ones of course!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M.Lee
Back