GUILTY CT - Jennifer Dulos, 50, deceased/not found, New Canaan, 24 May 2019 *ARRESTS* #67

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cash bond is easiest legally - a 2 party transaction - no Bondsman/Surety intermediary. A family member or equivalent, on behalf of the defendant/felon, puts up the total bail amount, in cash, to the Court as assurance that that the defendant/felon returns from bail. The Court holds the money until bail has been complied with. The family member will get money back, minus fees, if the terms of bail are met (showing back up and not violating bail terms). If the defendant/ felon does not return - the whole amount is forfeited to the Court.

Surety bond is more complicated - a 3 party transaction. Really the only option at $6M. The team of a Bondsman, backed by a Surety Company, enters into a binding legal contract with the Court, on behalf of defendant/felon, assuring $6M could be liquidated by the Bondsman/Surety, for the benefit of the Court, if defendant/Felon disappears. The Court is not in the business of tracking down money from fleeing felons. The Court gets the $6M. Underneath the Surety Bond - a Family member pays a percentage of the bail in cash (amounts vary) and must secure the non cash remainder with collateral. The Bondsman/Surety can liquidate the family assets if the defendant/felon flees in order to offset the amount they gambled away on the Surety bond.

This is why bond will takes days in this case. Financial security for $6M will not be easy.
I'm confused on the first part.
Thought it was clearly stated that it was nonrefundable thus the family may make her sit there for 3 months.
Enlighten me.

Thanks for asking. IMO perhaps not direct threat, but I get a feeling there was some “back channeling” going on, (even possibly after FD’s death) bet MT (& possibly Troc crew) and FD’s Greek crew. AT creeps me out big time.

To me, for MT to reveal all she knew would’ve exposed a larger network of conspirators. She took the gamble.

Or at the least, due to what she knew, she (or they) feared speaking out strongly against him. STILL! JFd was fair game.

MT & FD came from “honor” cultures in which loyalty to “family” and “agreements” tends to trump all—not to mention the governments being sketchy… not that the US is that great! And not painting with a broad brush, obviously.

(IMO also, MT inherited Mama T’s disdain for rule of law and a tendency to exploit.)

I know this is all disjointed. Suffice it to say that at the least, I think there’s a code of silence (in the sense of dysfunctional/addictive family systems) going on. Maybe more.

Also, why I think AC headed for the hills once FD departed ~~~~

(removing tinfoil hat)
I'm thinking of keeping my tinfoil hat on for now! I'm still surprised she didn't turn on FD after his death, but this would make sense. If not a threat, maybe a financial incentive not to reveal info about co-conspirators or someone helping with her legal expenses if she agreed to plan her defense to fit a certain narrative? It's still unclear to me how they have been able to afford all of their defense so far.

IMO she did get a little twitchy and make a nervous glance to her right then look at the camera when JS was saying there was never any violence in the relationship, during closing arguments. AF seems to look too. Reading the jury for a reaction? Looking towards one of the detectives who asked her if she was afraid of FD in interview 3? Just a twitchy moment and a weird look at the camera? I can't tell. But throwing FD under the bus would have been the fastest way to plant doubt. Who wouldn't be afraid of him, knowing know what he was capable of? It's surprising they never tried to sell that story. Weird. MOO

Did you notice when the Judge, in response to the Mini Horn bail condition request, Judge said House Arrest with Electronic Monitoring, GPS monitoring.

Ha!

Electronic monitoring can be RF or GPS and both can create zones where the defendant can go. I think now that she is convicted- that would be limited to work, church, doctor, lawyer. And if they have a curfew, it monitors are they home on time.

However, specifying GPS monitoring by the Judge means she is in a higher offender category - not just a flight risk - but a potential danger to the public. GPS monitoring is just like what it sounds - you can be pinpointed like a cell phone 24/7. And it records location data and analyzes red flags in more detail. And - the felon has to pay a monthly fee for the device - lol.

All consistent with $6M bail and hopefully no bail on appeal.

I think the Judge is going to throw the book at her during sentencing. His post guilt verdict tone has changed IMO. Louder and scarier.

The special will also include an exclusive interview with six of Jennifer’s friends, who spoke with Dateline’s Dennis Murphy while the jury deliberated. Sona, one of Jennifer’s friends, told Murphy: “[Jennifer] was a person that shows up, she would’ve done that for us. For me, it was important to show up for her and her kids.” Asked how Jennifer’s children were doing, the friends shared that “they’re very impressive young people, and they are going to do amazing things.”

Click here to watch exchange.

I'm confused on the first part.
Thought it was clearly stated that it was nonrefundable thus the family may make her sit there for 3 months.
Enlighten me.
Cash bond is refundable - it’s the carrot to the stick that motivates the family to make sure she doesn’t run and/or they don’t help her run. If it was non refundable there is no incentive to comply and return to court.

There are all kinds of non-refundable fees - but the nature of the cash bond is carrot stick.

With the Surety - there is a non refundable portion (10%) because it’s more like a loan. Even if you comply with bail and return, the Bondsman/Surety assumed the risk of $6M on your behalf for which you pay that fee regardless. If you jump bail then the collateral for the remaining 90% (property deeds), passes to the Surety, and is then de facto non refundable.

If she (post verdict) agrees to disclose where JD’s body is …could that help reduce her up coming sentence?

MOO
I have wondered the same thing. I think she wanted to see if she could get away without being convicted but now she has, so that information, if she has it, is her last possible trump card.

I have not read everything but just want dto come back to say I am so grateful for you all who really dug in and I know always cared the most about justice - sorry if I rained on anyone's parade about playlists, I was just stressed thinking the jury might make the wrong decision, you certainly deserve the playlists and the right song at the end of all this! Also having watched the press conference with the family I think the sisters surely believe their sister is innocent - but do they not wonder why this "innocent" person would not take the stand? I know that is not to be considered and I am sure there are many other reasons for an innocent person to not take the stand but - why does she never speak clearly, why in this interrogations did she never seem to speak from a truthful place? I dunno. MOO.

I asked earlier and didn't see a response so @lucegirl
Can someone explain the bond? Judge R said "cash or surety", I think. So they have to come up with $6 million total (or real estate, etc that is worth that amt) or just a percentage?

$6M cash would involve only MT (or her maker) and the Court where she deposits $6M with the Court to guarantee her appearance. Once she's been sentenced, the Supreme Court rejects hearing her appeal, or the appeal is denied, and MT goes to prison, the cash deposit is refunded to the party.

A $6M surety bond would require an underwriter guaranteeing MT's performance (i.e., her appearance in court). Here, she enters a contract with the surety that will generally require two things: a one-time, non-refundable bond fee estimated at about $420K* (7% of $6M), plus collateral valued at $6M.

The composition of the collateral can be several things but typically it's cash, real estate, investment portfolio, etc. (To be clear, if you have a $6M property with a $5M mortgage, this is not sufficient and you need to come up with another $5M of collateral).

You might recall it was a surety bond where Fotis got in trouble after the Court learned his surety was going to revoke his bond after learning that Fotis misrepresented the value of his collateral-- leaving the surety at significant risk. The Court called an emergency bond hearing, and Fotis was a no show-- found in his garage after attempting suicide, and died a few days later.

ETA: *CT Attorney Walter Hussey provided the bond fee in this location is about 7%.

Walter Hussey

They did not expect this verdict and are clearly devastated.

There is ONE PERSON responsible for their devastation but they seem either willfully blind to that fact OR they believe she should be above the law.

She is NOT above the law, as demonstrated by the verdict pronounced by 6 jurors today.
Too bad Jennifer moved in with a married man and treated Jennifer horrible, as to even take her place in bed with Jennifer’s husband. She is guilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member