Japan - Miyazawa family of 4 murdered, Setagaya, Tokyo, 30 Dec 2000 #2

Here are some photos and videos I could take quickly today. I was unable to hang around taking them for too long as it was busy with kids and families near and I didn’t want someone to think I was taking videos of them, especially with kids about the place.

I hope they can demonstrate the proximity of the surroundings a bit more to everyone. I’ll add a description to each video link to explain where it was.

As for the photos, when I was taking them a person was watching me quite intently from close behind me and it made me nervous so I didn’t stay to take more. Unfortunately the photos are nothing much new of the house as I had hoped. I think the only time to be able to take photos without causing possible disturbance to those around me would be at night time. Or without looking really dodgy!

Also, once again, no police officer to be seen.

The photo of the family name plate on the Miyazawa side by the door did make me feel particularly sad when I saw it.

I also noticed this time the other houses on the land, one directly opposite the Miyazawa’s, but as it has a family living in it I did not want to take a picture.

Here are the videos and photos:

View attachment 487422View attachment 487423
View attachment 487426
View attachment 487427
IMG_2893.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
As I understand it, a crime like this is exceptionally rare in Japan. If all that was heard was some banging, even if it was unusual, would that result in the police being called in a country where crimes such as this are virtually unthinkable? In the Miyazawa case, their family members next door seemingly thought nothing of it.
Funnily enough, the police are called over basically everything here. Including thumps and bangs in a house or apartment. Apartment complexes for example insist you call the police if your neighbour is noisy or you have an issue. Japan is a country of non-confrontation and as such the police are called for incredibly minor things. As mentioned in Nic’s podcast everyone in Japan is a curtain twitcher. It is precisely because serious crime is so rare that the police have time to respond and go to every call about any small thing.

A small anecdote of mine was when I was out jogging in north Shinjuku which is central Tokyo, I took a rest on a bench by an apartment block to talk on the phone to my friend. This was midday. I had the police called on me by a resident in the apartments saying she had recorded my decibels at above acceptable noise levels! I was quite astounded.

But as you also mentioned, the family may have thought nothing of it as they knew (or thought they did at least) who was next door and that it was most likely nothing.

I think the comparative remoteness of the Miyazawa home most likely a played a role in this, assuming it wasn't a personal, targeted attack. The killer was less likely to be seen than in a more heavily-trafficked area.

But that still doesn't explain the brutality or the subsequent desecration of the home and belongings. Killing, searching, stealing, tending to a wounded hand. It all could have been done without so much "overkill". Something was driving the killer. I would have said drugs, if only the tests hadn't shown there weren't any drugs in the killer's samples; unless it was a drug that wasn't tested for, which isn't totally impossible.
The problem is with the remoteness of the house, at least for Tokyo standards, is that the house in front was occupied. The house next door was occupied. The lights were on. At least six people in the immediate area, excluding the Miyazawa family. So, that's part of the mystery: the above would not have escaped the killer's attention. He went ahead with his plan anyway. Either he decided he'd come this far and the risk was worth it, or he's a raving lunatic. But one without any drugs in his system, as you say, or one that has never acted out again in this way (in Japan, at least).

There is also the problem with the noise. How can he murder four people "silently", spread out over several minutes, and the only thing that is heard through the paper-thin walls (albeit having rudimentary sound-proofing) is the wooden bang of the attic ladder being thrown up into place?

My least-worst theory so far:
1) He was very lucky.
2) The Miyazawas had either done nothing to anger him, at least directly, or something small they were not aware of.
3) There *were* shouts/screams but Ann Irie, her husband and son, Haruko, none of them heard them. Asleep, perhaps.
4) His escape was via car.

I see why the base has been considered.

But, were there no sand from the area close to Edwards base, would they have considered the possibility of a US serviceman's family member at all? What is left if we phase out the sand?

Because the sand is, to a degree, phaseable, by the fact that another, local, type of sand was found in the perp's pockets. He might have some sensory attraction to sand. If so, one can get different sands in different places.

Besides that sand, what else stays?

I am always thinking that we know very little about Mr. Miyazawa himself.
The secondary sand seems to be from the region around Yokosuka Naval base, another American stronghold. Then there's the matter of the DNA seemingly being Korean but the killer having never been to Korea, let alone having Korean nationality (that to me screams Southern California, or at least the US). Thirdly, you have the killer's total disappearance without any kind of flight record. We know the TMPD went straight to the airports to check with them Day 1. They got nothing. But moreover, why phase out the sand at all? We cannot say, well let's ignore this one part of the crime. The sand was there, both seemingly connected to US military bases.

Edit: we don't know the quantity of sand but I think it was small.

Just a random thought from me since I was there today…

We know the killer cut the phone line as Haruko was unable to connect when attempting to call on the morning of the 31st. Does anywhere mention a timeframe for when the killer did this and where he cut the line from?

The reason I’m wondering is because in the year 2000 most of the internet using world (if not all?) would still be using dial up internet or internet that was still reliant on phone lines. We know Mikio received an email with a password protected document, meaning he had to have internet access at that time to download it.

If the killer cut the phone lines before entering, assuming the lines were accessible from somewhere outside the house, this would have cut Mikio off of the internet. If the lines were accessible from outside I’d assume the killer would want to cut them as early as he could to prevent anyone from calling the police using the landline in the house. And there is an electrical box right by the window he supposedly entered from.
But if he cut them when inside the house, when and how did he do it? If he cut the line after the murder then what really is the point since there’s no one to prevent calling the police alive anymore.

The landline phone in the living room is still attached as seen in videos of inside the house. Perhaps he ripped the cable out but the phone was kept in place, resulting in no connection from Haruko?

And then, he would not have been able to access the internet on the computer he used. Maybe he just used it out of curiosity? I seem to recall he tried to access bookmarks on the browser.

Or he cut the lines as he left as an afterthought but that doesn’t really make much sense to me.

Thoughts anyone? I could just be rambling, it’s late here in Japan and I’ve been pondering all day.

Last edited:
Here are some photos and videos I could take quickly today. I was unable to hang around taking them for too long as it was busy with kids and families near and I didn’t want someone to think I was taking videos of them, especially with kids about the place.

I hope they can demonstrate the proximity of the surroundings a bit more to everyone. I’ll add a description to each video link to explain where it was.

As for the photos, when I was taking them a person was watching me quite intently from close behind me and it made me nervous so I didn’t stay to take more. Unfortunately the photos are nothing much new of the house as I had hoped. I think the only time to be able to take photos without causing possible disturbance to those around me would be at night time. Or without looking really dodgy!

The photo of the family name plate on the Miyazawa side by the door did make me feel particularly sad when I saw it.

I also noticed this time the other houses on the land, one directly opposite the Miyazawa’s, but as it has a family living in it I did not want to take a picture.

Around Chitose-Karasuyama station. This is a 15-20 minute walk from the Miyazawa house and the station it was reported the family did shopping at a few days before the murder.

And another one by the station.

The proximity of the road and apartment block I mentioned in a previous post. This road had regular steady traffic the whole time I was there.

Where the skate park of the area is to the house. A nice big thunk of a skateboard in the beginning there.

The back of the house and slope down to the river walk at the side of the house.

And back up the slope into the kids park behind the house with the road in front.

A slow walk down the road to the side of the house to get an idea of where the skate park and recreational areas are.

View attachment 487426
View attachment 487427
View attachment 487436
Dude! These are phenomenal! I see that the guy could have gone in from that balcony. That could be why Rei was killed quietly. Thank you!

Around Chitose-Karasuyama station. This is a 15-20 minute walk from the Miyazawa house and the station it was reported the family did shopping at a few days before the murder.

And another one by the station.

The proximity of the road and apartment block I mentioned in a previous post. This road had regular steady traffic the whole time I was there.

Where the skate park of the area is to the house. A nice big thunk of a skateboard in the beginning there.

The back of the house and slope down to the river walk at the side of the house.

And back up the slope into the kids park behind the house with the road in front.

A slow walk down the road to the side of the house to get an idea of where the skate park and recreational areas are.

View attachment 487426
View attachment 487427
View attachment 487436
You’ve had great posts and information to provide! Thank you so much. Yes, very sad to see their family nameplate.

We know the killer cut the phone line as Haruko was unable to connect when attempting to call on the morning of the 31st. Does anywhere mention a timeframe for when the killer did this and where he cut the line from?

The reason I’m wondering is because in the year 2000 most of the internet using world (if not all?) would still be using dial up internet or internet that was still reliant on phone lines. We know Mikio received an email with a password protected document, meaning he had to have internet access at that time to download it.

If the killer cut the phone lines before entering, assuming the lines were accessible from somewhere outside the house, this would have cut Mikio off of the internet. If the lines were accessible from outside I’d assume the killer would want to cut them as early as he could to prevent anyone from calling the police using the landline in the house. And there is an electrical box right by the window he supposedly entered from.
But if he cut them when inside the house, when and how did he do it? If he cut the line after the murder then what really is the point since there’s no one to prevent calling the police alive anymore.

The landline phone in the living room is still attached as seen in videos of inside the house. Perhaps he ripped the cable out but the phone was kept in place, resulting in no connection from Haruko?

And then, he would not have been able to access the internet on the computer he used. Maybe he just used it out of curiosity? I seem to recall he tried to access bookmarks on the browser.

Or he cut the lines as he left as an afterthought but that doesn’t really make much sense to me.

Thoughts anyone? I could just be rambling, it’s late here in Japan and I’ve been pondering all day.
I don’t think we were using dial up in 2000. I know I moved my office that year and I had it cat5 wired for cable internet. Of course that was business internet, but I think dial up was phasing out. Land lines were ubiquitous though.

snipped by me:
I believe there were four remaining houses in the Soshigaya Park area at the time of the murders. There are now two or three remaining, so the area doesn't seem to have changed massively. I think Nic has said the murders put a halt to a lot of the planned redevelopment. If the killing wasn't targeted for personal reasons against the Miyazawas, then those houses, standing conspicuously alone in the middle of the park, seem too striking to just be a coincidence. Whoever killed the family would, at the very least, have needed to be familiar enough with the area to know those houses were there. Which I'm guessing not everyone would know.
Every time I've gone to that park, I've seen people passing through to get from A to B. Skaters using the skate park. And people playing tennis. Cycling, jogging etc. The killer could've been a tennis player, they're seemingly always ignored despite being just as present in the park as skaters. He could've been a local school student. Or he could've met the Miyazawas (or come across them) previously, rending their remoteness of their house irrelevant. Once he marked them for death, the fact the house was in a park would've been a bonus. But there again, a house in very immediate proximity to other people. Ignoring the fact there could've been passing pedestrians or cars at any time. The population of Tokyo at the time was some 30 to 34 million people. There's no way he could've assured himself there wouldn't be one pair of eyes as he fled the scene.

SBM:

He didn't cut the phone line. Not sure where this has come from. I've speculated on it in the past but the Chief confirmed the phone lines were fine. I suspect the translation might've caused the problem: Haruko couldn't get through became, the call didn't connect, or some such.

It's possible the dial-up worked fine. Assuming the killer dialled up. Or that it didn't occur on boot-up. Alternatively, it was still online from Mikio's last usage. Either way, the killer was only active for 5 minutes exactly so I would warrant that whatever the motive for the murders, it wasn't this.

Do we know the quantities of sand involved?

@Charlot123 has speculated about sensory issues. Which seems reasonable if there were a larger quantity of sand -- perhaps multiple spoonfuls' worth.

I've wondered about inadvertent transfer of sand as an item was set on the sand and then later put back into the bag -- a book, sunglasses, etc. This makes sense to me if the sand was only found in smaller amounts, like maybe 1/4 teaspoon worth or less.

Do we know the volumes so that we can focus on the more probable scenarios?

MOO

So I looked through this Wikipedia today
(Inside, there is a pdf attachment with very detailed description of everything found by the police; I have looked through it once and it is very hard to do it again tonight. Marvelous work, but very meticulous). But, they don't mention the amount of the sand. They also add that some sand from Miura coast (analogous to the one found in pockets) was also in the bag, so, a mix. Glass micro-beads as well).

SBM:

He didn't cut the phone line. Not sure where this has come from. I've speculated on it in the past but the Chief confirmed the phone lines were fine. I suspect the translation might've caused the problem: Haruko couldn't get through became, the call didn't connect, or some such.

It's possible the dial-up worked fine. Assuming the killer dialled up. Or that it didn't occur on boot-up. Alternatively, it was still online from Mikio's last usage. Either way, the killer was only active for 5 minutes exactly so I would warrant that whatever the motive for the murders, it wasn't this.

Unlikely the motive was related to the computer. And, it seems the police is still unsure how the perp had entered the house, versions ranging from the back window to "let in".

But what does the attack itself tell us? The boy - strangled, lying on the bed, covered by the futon (very little blood). The father, attacked on the head, but also, his pants cut on the legs and thighs. (It might indicate that he was coming down from the attic, although the police thinks that Mikio was more likely in the computer room, so, coming up?). The daughter and mother, viciously attacked in the head and face. The mother attacked savagely, but afterwards, it seems both the daughter's and the mother's faces were covered (perhaps the bodies, too.) The police thinks the murderer does it if the victims are known to him. One, however, might interpret it differently. The cruelty seems to mount with each murder, and the guy has slaughtered the house. When all are dead, the perp is left alone and helps himself to the food, naps, etc. He "lives" in the house for a while, and it is possible that he feels it unpleasant to view his "job". So he covers everyone - except for Mr. Miyazawa. For a certain reason, the perp is unfazed by Mikio's dead face. I can imagine that covering the body of a dead "enemy" and maybe, even crossing oneself is ritualistic. But when it comes to Mikio, the attitude changes to "whatever". Does it mean anything, or is it random?

SBM:

My mistake, thanks for the correction. I’m not sure where I got that from, perhaps like you said it was because Haruko mentioned the call wouldn’t connect or from other articles I read. But good to know. I didn’t mean the computer being a motive, but just one more piece of the puzzle my tired brain last night tried to connect haha.

snipped by me:

Every time I've gone to that park, I've seen people passing through to get from A to B. Skaters using the skate park. And people playing tennis. Cycling, jogging etc. The killer could've been a tennis player, they're seemingly always ignored despite being just as present in the park as skaters. He could've been a local school student. Or he could've met the Miyazawas (or come across them) previously, rending their remoteness of their house irrelevant. Once he marked them for death, the fact the house was in a park would've been a bonus. But there again, a house in very immediate proximity to other people. Ignoring the fact there could've been passing pedestrians or cars at any time. The population of Tokyo at the time was some 30 to 34 million people. There's no way he could've assured himself there wouldn't be one pair of eyes as he fled the scene.
THIS is what I have also been trying to articulate, but possibly very badly. Yes, the neighbourhood is residential and yes the location of the house can be considered somewhat isolated due to where it’s standing. But Kamisoshigaya is still in Tokyo. The nearby station of Chitose-Karasuyama is a mere 10 minutes from Shinjuku which is CENTRAL Tokyo.

Kamisoshigaya, despite being a residential neighbourhood of Setagaya, is actually not that quiet or remote. It is busy. Especially where the park is and its surroundings. And, at least during the daytime, it is NOISY and there are many people.

Like Nic said, the location of the house was a bonus. But the killer could have easily been in the surrounding areas many times amongst other people.
Many angles focus on that the killer was able to slip in and out unnoticed and base that on the location but I just don’t think that is it. The killer made a huge mess inside that house and was just damn lucky he got in and out unseen. He really could have been seen at any time by someone in the immediate and other surroundings. He just wasn’t. Very frustrating.

Unfortunately my video links do not work, so apologies to those who wanted to see them. The videos I took demonstrate a bit more about what the neighbourhood is like. I will try to get those uploaded safely soon and post again.

Also, I’m not sure if anyone has read this article about a special Fuji TV aired in 2020 about the method of entry.
The article is Japanese (hit that translate button) but it says that Fuji TV made an exact replica of that side of the house, down to the exact size of the window the killer supposedly entered and exited and the height of the fence he would have climbed. They even used an actor wearing the same clothes and was the same height and build speculated.

It concludes that it would be impossible for the killer to enter or exit and leave zero traces of blood or fibres. Just look at how the killer would have had to have squeezed into that window.

Food for thought, and also the images from the special are fantastic.

Have a look if you have not seen it:

Edit: here are the images for easier viewing.

IMG_2897.jpeg
IMG_2898.jpeg
IMG_2899.jpeg
IMG_2900.jpeg

IMG_2901.jpeg
IMG_2902.jpeg
IMG_2904.jpeg
IMG_2905.jpeg
IMG_2906.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2900.jpeg
    IMG_2900.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
This one is even more interesting
The DNA database collection in Japan and they do solve a housewife's murder that happened in 2020

So things must be changing

Now, it might be a chatter, but here is a story about the suicide of a 17-year-old, the son of a well-known person, known for cruelty to animals in Setagaya Park

And the posts on the pet-hating board, with someone acknowledging murders of the family (again, may be a lie)

Two: Kuromitsi posts

Last edited:
This link in your FB is very interesting
(The perp may have a developmental disorder)

Nice find! The website is quite hard to navigate.

Here are some points from that article the author makes and theorises (not in order sorry) and I tried my best to translate into English with my own Japanese:

1. The killer was a child/very young with autism.
2. The killer was a former student of Yasuko’s cram school, said to be a Kumon school. These are very popular and widespread schools in Japan and do indeed take in students in their teenage years. He may have seen them at an entrance ceremony if he wasn’t a direct student of Yasuko.
3. The killer held a grudge against the Miyazawa family and was acting on pure hatred/grudge with intent to kill.
4. The killer did not think about his actions well and chose a knife that is weak/easily broken due to its purpose of cutting fish. This would not be the kind of knife a killer would choose to murder a person with effectively. It’s almost certain to snap and break.
5. The killer particularly disliked Rei due to his mental development issues, perhaps because it made the killer think of his own.
6. The reason the killer’s actions in the house were so bizarre is because he was a child/young and autistic. He didn’t plan as such, he just went in to kill.
7. After killing, he indulged in too much ice cream and tea and needed to poop and did not flush because he did not want to make any further noise.
8. The careless actions and focus on eating a lot of ice cream is indicative of childish behaviour and someone young.
9. His body type was incredibly slender to be able to fit in the window and not leave a trace so being much older than a teenager is unlikely.

That’s what I got from it from those interested. I’m not sure who this author is.

Last edited:
Nice find! The website is quite hard to navigate.

Here are some points from that article the author makes and theorises (not in order sorry) and I tried my best to translate into English with my own Japanese:

1. The killer is a child/very young with autism.
2. The killer was a former student of Yasuko’s cram school, said to be a Kumon school. These are very popular and widespread schools in Japan and do indeed take in students in their teenage years. He may have seen them at an entrance ceremony if he wasn’t a direct student of Yasuko.
3. The killer held a grudge against the Miyazawa family and was acting on pure hatred/grudge with intent to kill.
4. The killer did not think about his actions well and chose a knife that is weak/easily broken due to its purpose of cutting fish. This would not be the kind of knife a killer would choose to murder a person with.
5. The killer particularly disliked Rei due to his mental development issues, perhaps because it made the killer think of his own.
6. The reason the killer’s anctions in the house are so bizarre is because he is a child/young. He didn’t plan as such, he just went in to kill.
7. After killing, he indulged in too much ice cream and tea and needed to poop and did not flush because he did not want to make any further noise.
8. The careless actions and focus on eating a lot of ice cream is indicative of childish behaviour and someone young.
9. His body type was incredibly slender to be able to fit in the window and not leave a trace so being much older than a teenager is unlikely.

That’s what I got from it from those interested. I’m not sure who this author is.

Yes, they even mentioned the possibility of the perpetrator being the patient of some outpatient mental health facility, and Rei going to speech therapy in a similar place, too, if I translated correctly.

You know, I think the board has something in common with similar FB groups. Overall, it is "use at own risk" information, but occasionally, true gems might be found. The Japanese boards organizers seem to run into such problems, too, as they have issued a similar warning about a.sori's posts (re. the suicide of a teenager living near Setagaya.)

This being said, there must be certain truth in the stories about maimed animals in Setagaya Park. "Setagaya murders" Japanese Wikipedia mentions such occurrences, too. So, it probably happened, and clustered around december of 2000, but whether it was linked to Setagaya murders or not, remains unknown.

Yes, they even mentioned the possibility of the perpetrator being the patient of some outpatient mental health facility, and Rei going to speech therapy in a similar place, too, if I translated correctly.

You know, I think the board has something in common with similar FB groups. Overall, it is "use at own risk" information, but occasionally, true gems might be found. The Japanese boards organizers seem to run into such problems, too, as they have issued a similar warning about a.sori's posts (re. the suicide of a teenager living near Setagaya.)

This being said, there must be certain truth in the stories about maimed animals in Setagaya Park. "Setagaya murders" Japanese Wikipedia mentions such occurrences, too. So, it probably happened, and clustered around december of 2000, but whether it was linked to Setagaya murders or not, remains unknown.
In my time in Japan, going on 15 years, there have been several stories of animal killings in neighbourhoods. Most recently in Saitama, north of Tokyo, and it got the media talking about the possibility of escalation as it can be indicative of someone that will move onto bigger targets and even people.
Soon after that a man and his family were murdered around the same area, but a direct link between the two was not made as is the case in the Miyazawa murders too. It was just something people noticed.
That murder was a grudge murder by a neighbour and he was found quickly.

So it is absolutely believable and very possible that occurred in the neighbourhood around the time of the murders to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyRichard2006!
Back