Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

All this talk of tortilla chips is making me crave tortilla chips and salsa.
lick.gif

I’ll share a favorite salsa recipe of mine called “Salsa del Norte”, from The Border Cookbook.

Recipe notes - I personally have only made it using the canned chipotles in adobo sauce, because I enjoy the smoky heat and flavor it adds.
At times, I have improvised/simplified it by making it with canned tomatoes. When I do that, I leave out the extra liquid (tomato juice?) that’s in the can, and pluck out just the tomatoes. But broiling the fresh tomatoes gives it a nicer complexity, I think.

Anyone else have a favorite salsa recipe you’d be willing to share?

IMG_0269.jpeg

P
My new foster furbaby, Bear really wanted me to share my oatmeal raisin cookie. He’s definitely been fed people food in the past. His Kitchen Supervisor skills are on point! Ha!

Yesterday was a batch of marinara and a skillet of cornbread. He inspected the broccoli from the garden too.
He has such a cute fuzzy face!

Sorry about typos in my above post. It wouldn’t let me edit when I noticed.

“And Costco’s organic tortilla strips…”
I have to make a point of staying away from the Taco flavored Doritos. I grew up eating those as a teenager, and was so happy they brought them back after so many years. But alas, after buying them twice, I discovered they are too addictive for me, so I now only buy the plain ones that we eat with salsa and Mexican food.

ETA: Sorry, I tried to quote your other post, but I’m having internet connection issues today. I really don’t know what happened.

I have to make a point of staying away from the Taco flavored Doritos. I grew up eating those as a teenager, and was so happy they brought them back after so many years. But alas, after buying them twice, I discovered they are too addictive for me, so I now only buy the plain ones that we eat with salsa and Mexican food.

ETA: Sorry, I tried to quote your other post, but I’m having internet connection issues today. I really don’t know what happened.
I had trouble quoting yesterday too :confused:

There are chemicals in Doritos or so I've been told. MSG is dangerous! Someone once told me that street vendors will shake MSG onto their offerings to make them more appetizing to tourists. Idk if that is true or not but I'd believe it. If Frito Lay can do it, anyone can.

There are chemicals in Doritos or so I've been told. MSG is dangerous! Someone once told me that street vendors will shake MSG onto their offerings to make them more appetizing to tourists. Idk if that is true or not but I'd believe it. If Frito Lay can do it, anyone can.
I wonder if MSG is the reason that I never liked Fritos? They are way too salty!

I wonder if MSG is the reason that I never liked Fritos? They are way too salty!
They really ARE too salty! It reminds me of Kramer saying "These pretzels are making me thirsty" :D

@PayrollNerd I meant Frito Lay as a company bc they make Doritos. Surprised Fritos do not contain MSG as so many processed foods do :rolleyes:

MSG has gotten a bad rap, and more recent research has a more balanced view of the ingredient:
Is MSG Actually Bad for You?

Fritos corn chips are entirely too salty. I eat a tiny cupful at a time. They combat the metal taste in my mouth after cancer treatment. Sometimes tortilla chips, potato chips or pretzels work too.

I can never finish a bag, even when I buy a small sized bag. I tossed out over a half a bag of Ruffles potato chips yesterday.

I read the ingredients on every single thing due to food allergies. I don’t recall seeing MSG on anything I normally buy.

They really ARE too salty! It reminds me of Kramer saying "These pretzels are making me thirsty" :D

@PayrollNerd I meant Frito Lay as a company bc they make Doritos. Surprised Fritos do not contain MSG as so many processed foods do :rolleyes:
I do not like anything Doritos. A month ago the food bank gave us the choice of 2 flavored popcorns. One bag was cinnamon sugar and the other bag was Doritos. I thought they were both disgusting but chose the Doritos. Kiddo came right over after work she was so excited to have them! Ha!

I do not like anything Doritos. A month ago the food bank gave us the choice of 2 flavored popcorns. One bag was cinnamon sugar and the other bag was Doritos. I thought they were both disgusting but chose the Doritos. Kiddo came right over after work she was so excited to have them! Ha!
Original Doritos or Tostitos are alright, but any of the flavored varieties are too salty and fake tasting. Garden Fresh, Late July, or Nino Salvaggio's corn chips are much less salty and have no artificial ingredients. We also like Costco corn chips but the humongous bag is way too much for the two of us.

We tried Dots pretzels a couple of weeks ago and did not care for them. We got the original seasoned variety that were too spicy and had a fake buttery coating with an awful mouth feel. DOT'S HOMESTYLE PRETZELS

Original Doritos or Tostitos are alright, but any of the flavored varieties are too salty and fake tasting. Garden Fresh, Late July, or Nino Salvaggio's corn chips are much less salty and have no artificial ingredients. We also like Costco corn chips but the humongous bag is way too much for the two of us.

We tried Dots pretzels a couple of weeks ago and did not care for them. We got the original seasoned variety that were too spicy and had a fake buttery coating with an awful mouth feel. DOT'S HOMESTYLE PRETZELS
My brother from Maine came to FL for a visit and introduced us all to Dots pretzels. Everyone liked them but me. I thought they had a weird taste. I didn’t like the sweet ones either. But then cancer has hijacked my taste buds, and so many things don’t taste good anymore.

I had heard so much excitement about how Costco started carrying Dot’s pretzels and wanted to try them. I had planned to buy a bag the next time I went to Costco. However they were giving out samples, and after taking one sample pretzel I thought they tasted terrible. Greasy, imitation butter flavored along with other seasonings that did not taste good IMO.

I have no idea where the hype about Dot’s pretzels originated. I’m so glad I tried a sample instead of buying a bag.

Fritos corn chips are entirely too salty. I eat a tiny cupful at a time. They combat the metal taste in my mouth after cancer treatment. Sometimes tortilla chips, potato chips or pretzels work too.

I can never finish a bag, even when I buy a small sized bag. I tossed out over a half a bag of Ruffles potato chips yesterday.

I read the ingredients on every single thing due to food allergies. I don’t recall seeing MSG on anything I normally buy.
I buy a box of 30 individual 1 ounce packages of chips at Costco. They are just the right size for a snack, and we can’t ever finish regular size bag of chips before they get stale.

Sometimes I save the crumbs and half finished bags of chips or crackers and crush them for a sort of breading. I usually freeze them and mix it with some other seasonings etc. But if they've already gone off, they cannot be saved sometimes!

Sometimes I save the crumbs and half finished bags of chips or crackers and crush them for a sort of breading. I usually freeze them and mix it with some other seasonings etc. But if they've already gone off, they cannot be saved sometimes!
Our mom used to heat up stale crackers and cereal in the oven to “crisp them up.” To me and my brothers they still tasted stale. But no food in our house ever got thrown out, and she wouldn’t buy more crackers or cereal until we finished what we had.

The stale cereal was our fault anyway. We’d dig through the boxes of cereal to find the prizes at the bottom of the boxes, then lose interest in the cereal.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imaguppynotashark
Back