FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *4 Guilty* #22

I’m almost sure she served him the papers in September.

Knitpicker is correct, it was Sept 10 not Dec

DM proposed to WA on April 28, 2005
They were married on February 26 2006
WA filed for divorce Sept 10, 2012
DM returns from trip, finds divorce documents Sept 13. 2012
Divorce resolved and granted July 31, 2013

In the docket of Katherine Magbanua’s appeal, attorney for appellant John Browling, Esq. filed a Reply Brief dated February 29, 2024, with intriguing and interesting gist (see attached):
1. The trial court erred in failing to conduct a hearing on the propriety, under Marchetti, of Wendi Adelson’s invocations of her Fifth Amendment privilege.
2. It is without question in the facts of this case that Wendi Adelson is the primary beneficiary of the murder of Prof. Markel.

For the first point, one intriguing aspect is that with this kind of argued constitutional rights violation, Katherine Magbanua might get a shot at a new trial if the Court of Appeal finds the trial Court has erred. As a consequence, the appellate attorney of Charles Adelson could further make the same argument. I find these eventualities unlikely but we will see.

The interesting aspect is the question whether Wendi Adelson does not have a valid Fifth Amendment claim. Invalidating this claim puts the State labeled unindicted co-conspirator in jeopardy. She could be subpoenaed to testify without immunity under more vigorous examination. Thereafter, more evidence against her could be discovered.

For the second point, the documents of both courts evoke Wendi Adelson as the primary beneficiary of the murder of her two sons’ Abba Dan Markel. And their uncle Charles Adelson laments in recorded Jail Calls that their mother’s behavior with “many coincidences” the day of the murder made him look guilty in the eyes of his Jury.

This combination of “opinions” answers the wannabe YT pundits’ question about “why these strange Jail Calls happened from the first place?” These strange Jail Calls seem to be orchestrated by a conduit between Charles and his parents to rise “reasonable doubts” about “what if Wendi herself organized all of this? It is proven that Katie and Wendi are acquainted!” Notice, the allegation does not have to be true for the “reasonable doubts” to take roots! And recall, this strategy was used by Chris DeCoste, Tara Kawass, and Kristen Kawass in Katie’s trial! Donna Adelson’s trial, if it happens, will be really juicy!

“Stay tuned”, so sayeth Georgia Cappleman of The SAO2FL.

Ps: I caught the post at time to edit. Yes, she still may evoke the 5th but the point is about testifying with use and derivative use immunity, which has been done thrice in this murder case. Anyway, evoking the 5th at this potential fourth trial could have a similar character as implicit admission of guilt, in itself damaging. What the State Attorneys could do is just asking the relevant questions with proven facts (the many coincidences) and the witness repeatedly evoke the 5th. The incriminating statements against Donna will be made, and Wendi will look … mature for next step!

Attachments

• Magbanua appeal.png
    Magbanua appeal.png
    156.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
In the docket of Katherine Magbanua’s appeal, attorney for appellant John Browling, Esq. filed a Reply Brief dated February 29, 2024, with intriguing and interesting gist (see attached):
1. The trial court erred in failing to conduct a hearing on the propriety, under Marchetti, of Wendi Adelson’s invocations of her Fifth Amendment privilege.
2. It is without question in the facts of this case that Wendi Adelson is the primary beneficiary of the murder of Prof. Markel.

For the first point, one intriguing aspect is that with this kind of argued constitutional rights violation, Katherine Magbanua might get a shot at a new trial if the Court of Appeal finds the trial Court has erred. As a consequence, the appellate attorney of Charles Adelson could further make the same argument. I find these eventualities unlikely but we will see.

The interesting aspect is the question whether Wendi Adelson does not have a valid Fifth Amendment claim. Invalidating this claim puts the State labeled unindicted co-conspirator in jeopardy. She could be subpoenaed to testify without immunity under more vigorous examination. Thereafter, more evidence against her could be discovered.

For the second point, the documents of both courts evoke Wendi Adelson as the primary beneficiary of the murder of her two sons’ Abba Dan Markel. And their uncle Charles Adelson laments in recorded Jail Calls that their mother’s behavior with “many coincidences” the day of the murder made him look guilty in the eyes of his Jury.

This combination of “opinions” answers the wannabe YT pundits’ question about “why these strange Jail Calls happened from the first place?” These strange Jail Calls seem to be orchestrated by a conduit between Charles and his parents to rise “reasonable doubts” about “what if Wendi herself organized all of this? It is proven that Katie and Wendi are acquainted!” Notice, the allegation does not have to be true for the “reasonable doubts” to take roots! And recall, this strategy was used by Chris DeCoste, Tara Kawass, and Kristen Kawass in Katie’s trial! Donna Adelson’s trial, if it happens, will be really juicy!

“Stay tuned”, so sayeth Georgia Cappleman of The SAO2FL.

I'm confused by this. WA was granted immunity for her testimony at KM's re-trial, right? My recollection is that the defense did cross-examine Wendi. If they could question her on the stand, than how were they impacted?

Oh where do I begin? There was so much information at the end of the video...my head was spinning. I hoped many sleuths also had a chance to view TO THE VERY END!! Because I was more disturbed by the connection of all the attorneys, who "if you are correct" had no problem accepting stolen/embezzled money from their clients!!! Geeez lahweeez...this just keeps getting deeper and deeper. Family members working in law firms/accounting firms/medical facilities etc....why can't anybody just live on their salary??
However, KM's sister-in-law had been embezzling since 2012....long before KM met CA! Still feeling this was all CA's conniving...using KM to get to the underside of a crime. She was his employee with benefits. I still need to process so much of this....as I have always felt KM was the consummate Dragon Lady from a cartoon series.
But if she was so darned "wicked smart," what was she doing hustling bottles of booze in "not successful" nightclubs?? Where did all the money go? Why did she have old vehicles that were always breaking down? Again....too much to process right now.
I guess the sister-in-law's greatest accomplishment will be walking out of prison many years before KM.
And DA said her family was cursed.....apparently not exclusive to the A family.

Fanci reposted an old deep dive about KMs SIL a few weeks ago.

Busy with guests this weekend. Hope to watch it tonight.
Has to be a reason GC has never addressed this, right?
Seems if there was any connection to KM we would have heard about it, don’t you think?
Unless in some way it diffuses the issue of who paid for KM’s attorneys that can’t be traced.
What do you think?

So ironic that this woman was able to embezzle $ from a forensic accounting firm that specialized in finding where money is hidden. What a crazy case this is.

Discussion about KM's SIL with good links provided by poster reallybusy..

I’m not suggesting the embezzlement was in anyway related to the Markel murder so the fact that it started in 2012 and predates Katie’s ‘association’ with Charlie is irrelevant to me. It’s just an example of another nefarious and illegal operation that Katie was likely in the middle of. Although there is no proof she was in the middle of the embezzlement, to me it seems like a reasonable theory IF it is true Katie introduced the medical healer to her sister-in-law. I’m suggesting Katie is more intelligent that we give her credit for - she can be intelligent (or more intelligent than we think) and still have the same life struggles that many have, being intelligent doesn’t necessarily guarantee financial success. Katie is a professional scammer and knows how to use and manipulate people and I can certainty see her role in Dan’s murder being much greater that I initially thought after watching this video. Just one sleuth’s opinion.
Why couldn’t funneling the money be Charlies idea?

Why couldn’t funneling the money be Charlies idea?

Don’t have a lot of details, but the embezzlement started in 2012 so I don’t think this has anything to do with Charlie. Even if Charlie & Katie’s relationship preceded the start of the embezzlement, it would still seem unlikely he would be involved. Although Charlie is a risk taker and can be a bit reckless, I don’t think he’d be dumb enough to get himself in the middle of a scheme to embezzle money from a forensic account firm of all businesses!

Katie, on the other hand, I can easily see her being involved simply based on what’s being reported that she introduced her sister-in-law to the medical healer and they have record of her sister-in-law paying for some of Katie’s attorney fees. After sleeping on it, I take back what I said in a post yesterday that Katie might be more intelligent than we initially thought. Can’t make this stuff up!

Don’t have a lot of details, but the embezzlement started in 2012 so I don’t think this has anything to do with Charlie. Even if Charlie & Katie’s relationship preceded the start of the embezzlement, it would still seem unlikely he would be involved. Although Charlie is a risk taker and can be a bit reckless, I don’t think he’d be dumb enough to get himself in the middle of a scheme to embezzle money from a forensic account firm of all businesses!

Katie, on the other hand, I can easily see her being involved simply based on what’s being reported that she introduced her sister-in-law to the medical healer and they have record of her sister-in-law paying for some of Katie’s attorney fees. After sleeping on it, I take back what I said in a post yesterday that Katie might be more intelligent than we initially thought. Can’t make this stuff up!
I just finished the video. My timeline was off.

Unless in some way it diffuses the issue of who paid for KM’s attorneys that can’t be traced.
There was some ambiguous, non-committal statement from the government that they were satisfied the money used by KM to pay her legal fees came from a legitimate 3rd party as opposed to money that was obtained by SM, fraudulently. I can't imagine there being too many people out there in the world that would be willing to give up hundreds of thousands of dollars to pay a suspected murderer's legal fees. It's either SM or the Adelsons. Most likely the latter and I'd imagine they simply had a 3rd party pay KM for them. CA and DA would have been hugely motivated to ensure KM was as well represented as possibly, can you imagine how quickly she would have rolled on them if they hadn't fronted up with the $$ to pay her lawyers.

There was some ambiguous, non-committal statement from the government that they were satisfied the money used by KM to pay her legal fees came from a legitimate 3rd party as opposed to money that was obtained by SM, fraudulently. I can't imagine there being too many people out there in the world that would be willing to give up hundreds of thousands of dollars to pay a suspected murderer's legal fees. It's either SM or the Adelsons. Most likely the latter and I'd imagine they simply had a 3rd party pay KM for them. CA and DA would have been hugely motivated to ensure KM was as well represented as possibly, can you imagine how quickly she would have rolled on them if they hadn't fronted up with the $$ to pay her lawyers.
I agree. Imagine her SIL working so hard ll those years working, to store up treasures for herself by embezzlement, and then she just hands it over to Katie? Well, half of it.

same city, same building, same floor, same suite. what are the odds that this is just a coincidence?

Yes, that’s right: DeCoste is located in the same office building — and not just the same building, but the same suite (PH1) — as David Oscar Markus, the prominent, very successful Miami defense lawyer who represents Charlie Adelson.

CA hired this guy for his appeal.

~~~~~~
New court records show on December 31, Adelson’s appellate lawyer, Michael Ufferman, filed a notice of appeal of the judgment and sentence.

same city, same building, same floor, same suite. what are the odds that this is just a coincidence?

Yes, that’s right: DeCoste is located in the same office building — and not just the same building, but the same suite (PH1) — as David Oscar Markus, the prominent, very successful Miami defense lawyer who represents Charlie Adelson.

It’s important to note that the David Lat article you reference predates Katie’s sister-in-law’s arrest and since this article was written there is also proof that her sister-in-law did pay ‘some’ of Katie’s legal fees – how much is unknown. As far as how Katie hooked up with Kawass and Decoste, I wouldn’t doubt it if her representation was influenced / recommended by Charlie. Decoste’s firm being on the same building, same floor, same suite as David Oscar Markus only makes it more probable that the ‘recommendation’ came from Charlie.

At the end of the day, it wouldn’t surprise me if Charlie and the Adelsons helped finance Katie’s defense. At this stage, it’s only important if they can prove the money trail is tied to an Adelson other than Charlie. It would help with the case against Donna if proof is found that she willingly contributed and you can only imagine how KEY it would be if even partial financing of Katie’s defense can be traced back to Wendi. Obviously the Adelsons had a vested interest in Katie’s acquittal and would have easily agreed to pay her legal fees simply based on how high the stakes were and Katie’s acquittal would have been great for the case of their innocence. Money is no object when you are facing a potential life sentence.

Honestly, in my experience it’s not unusual for attorneys to refer to other attorneys in the same building. It could be that Katie needed representation and called Charlie, and he asked his lawyer to recommend something. Not saying that’s necessarily what happened, but the fact that they worked in the same building is not automatically evidence of foul play.

Honestly, in my experience it’s not unusual for attorneys to refer to other attorneys in the same building. It could be that Katie needed representation and called Charlie, and he asked his lawyer to recommend something. Not saying that’s necessarily what happened, but the fact that they worked in the same building is not automatically evidence of foul play.

Your suggestion is very likely exactly how it happened. Although you can never rule out conduct from a law firm that is unlawful, IMO, in this case it’s more likely all parties were operating within legal guidelines. There is also a major distinction between moral and ethical guidelines and legal ones. I doubt the firms that represented Charlie and Katie did anything that pushed any legal boundaries.

Last edited:

IMO - huge conflict of interest. and we know from the KM wiretapped call with SG's original lawyer Jim Lewis that these lawyers/parties were all in cahoots. and we had a guilty KM refusing an immunity deal - and now spending the rest of her life in prison - all thanks to the sage advice of her Markus-referred attorney?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dorsa50
Back