Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing from a bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who has served 22 year-olds alcohol for any length of time, imo. I agree with the OP. The bar staff was late in cutting him off.
Over-served him, late cutting him off, but then twice prevented his friends from helping: one not allowed to leave with him and Riley instructed to leave the front of the bar and not loiter - apparently he was compliant and easy going. Perhaps the bar needs to take over-served guests to an alcove until a friend is ready to accompany them? That way, no drunks loitering at the front or littering up the interior.

I personally see this as very largely on the management style and deficiencies of the bar and care of their customers.

While the laws protecting bars from prosecution are pretty strong, i.e. adults have responsibility for themselves, there are many mitigating factors involved here that may cause a serious problem for Luke Bryan's bar.

Stay away from Nashville!
That line of warning is likely to get more results faster than anything you could have said. Just let a city get a reputation for this treatment of its guests and see how quickly tourism tanks.

Horrible to blame his friends and bar employees imo. Riley was an adult and it isn't anyone's responsibility to keep him safe but himself. I live in a college town and people get this drunk every weekend, they aren't roofied, they aren't forcefed alcohol, they drink to get drunk, it is the whole point of going out to bars. You can't control, or convince, people that are that intoxicated of anything, including to stay put while the tab gets paid. Drunk people are obnoxious, and unpredictable, so you can't expect strangers to want to get involved.
This will probably have a bad ending and it is heartbreaking for his friends and family. I have a child the same age, so I can't even imagine the pain, but whatever happened, happened because Riley drank more than he can handle. I think instead of blaming others, this should be used as a teachable moment for all young adults who drink.

Over-served him, late cutting him off, but then twice prevented his friends from helping: one not allowed to leave with him and Riley instructed to leave the front of the bar and not loiter - apparently he was compliant and easy going. Perhaps the bar needs to take over-served guests to an alcove until a friend is ready to accompany them? That way, no drunks loitering at the front or littering up the interior.

I personally see this as very largely on the management style and deficiencies of the bar and care of their customers.
I’m not buying this narrative that his friend was barred from leaving. No bar is going to essentially commit false imprisonment. It doesn’t make any sense at all.

Bars are not babysitters, and untold thousands of people are likely kicked out of them every night across the country.

I just want to know the truth about what happened in regards to his friends, and their ability to leave. I think the same person relaying this particular account is the one who also suggested he was drugged, which there’s no evidence of.

Does anyone have any idea why drunk men gravitate towards water vs women? I find it odd!
I know drunk logic is NOt normal logic but why aren't women gravitating towards water as well?

I found this article by Anderson Cooper on CNN
I don't know. I have wondered too why they gravitate towards water. Is it because an expanse of water gives a sense of space, maybe because they feel claustrophobic on the streets and all the exaggerated sensory stimulation around them?

And why men? Or maybe it's just more common for men to get drunk and end up on their own. Women I think tend to stick together more perhaps, or if on their own are more often taken advantage of by predators, unlike men.
Maybe men too are more prone to paranoia and seek out a place that's appears "peaceful" so their brains can "rest".
It's an interesting question.

I don't know. I have wondered too why they gravitate towards water. Is it because an expanse of water gives a sense of space, maybe because they feel claustrophobic on the streets and all the exaggerated sensory stimulation around them?

And why men? Or maybe it's just more common for men to get drunk and end up on their own. Women I think tend to stick together more perhaps, or if on their own are more often taken advantage of by predators, unlike men.
Maybe men too are more prone to paranoia and seek out a place that's appears "peaceful" so their brains can "rest".

All great questions I recall years ago an article by an FBI agent/investigator explained why men head towards water but I cannot find it now.

Yep and he’s a skinny guy, fast metabolism. One of my best friends went thru a period of being way too skinny, he was like 125 at 6’1, no lie. He came home once after having two many White Russians and he was so hammered he couldn’t stand up.

If you don’t eat much or at all while drinking, you’ll get drunk really fast…then you may feel so warm and fuzzy that you keep drinking without realizing how quickly that can spiral.

I feel so bad for this poor kid and hope he’s a John Doe somewhere in a hospital just yet to be identified. The river nearby being so close is scary.

I’m new to this case…did his buddies continue to call him or go out to look for him once he didn’t show up at the hotel?
From what I've read, it seems as though they followed him out. He had said he was going back to hotel, but went in wrong direction. I'm guessing they went right direction.

Back in room, there's something about finding his room key there. He was missing just about 4 hours when they showed up at the police station to report him missing -- no phone calls, no being put off or being given the run around, they went to station to file a report, called parents, all the things you're supposed to do.

Or, that's the way I read it.

I’m not buying this narrative that his friend was barred from leaving. No bar is going to essentially commit false imprisonment. It doesn’t make any sense at all.

Bars are not babysitters, and untold thousands of people are likely kicked out of them every night across the country.

I just want to know the truth about what happened in regards to his friends, and their ability to leave. I think the same person relaying this particular account is the one who also suggested he was drugged, which there’s no evidence of.
I wonder if perhaps the friend didn't need to settle his bill before he could leave.

Horrible to blame his friends and bar employees imo. Riley was an adult and it isn't anyone's responsibility to keep him safe but himself. I live in a college town and people get this drunk every weekend, they aren't roofied, they aren't forcefed alcohol, they drink to get drunk, it is the whole point of going out to bars. You can't control, or convince, people that are that intoxicated of anything, including to stay put while the tab gets paid. Drunk people are obnoxious, and unpredictable, so you can't expect strangers to want to get involved.
This will probably have a bad ending and it is heartbreaking for his friends and family. I have a child the same age, so I can't even imagine the pain, but whatever happened, happened because Riley drank more than he can handle. I think instead of blaming others, this should be used as a teachable moment for all young adults who drink.
Completely agree, even as I feel so sad for him and his loved ones. I just discussed this very thing w/my 20 & 17 yos over dinner.
I do hope he is found soon. The uncertainty & waiting is probably torture for his family.

It seems likely that he had to pay his own tab before he was allowed to leave. I'd imagine there would be many unpaid tabs if they allowed everyone to walk out without doing so. I only wish they'd have allowed Riley to wait inside while the friend settled up. Perhaps that would have saved him from this unknown fate, perhaps not. JMO

''Geoff Newiss, who co-authored the University of Portsmouth research, studied each of the 150 cases to analyse why so many young men die in water.
His work shows that 70% of those who went missing on nights out were aged 25 and under, with 45% being under 21 – and more than one third were students. The winter months of December, January, February and March accounted for over half of all cases.

“What you find with men, there is a lot higher risk of fatality. These estimates are based on pretty ropey data, but it’s the best we’ve got. I always say if it’s a man missing on a night out and you haven’t got them back in the first 24-48 hours, then you are looking at a roughly 90% fatality rate. That is absolutely enormous. It’s probably the highest risk of fatality among any missing person category.”
Newiss added: “With women, there is a much higher rate of homicide. There are accidents as well. There was quite a famous case in York a few years ago which was very much the male profile of too much to drink and she went down by the river and stumbled in. But you don’t hear it as often with women.”
Shrewsbury and York are just two of the hotspots, along with Bath, Durham, Bristol and Manchester. Each place has two crucial things in common – a busy night-time economy and a river or canal running near the town centre.''

Watching these videos is heartbreaking and alarming...his poor family. I'll never understood why kids get THIS drunk
College town inhabitant here- it isn't really (with most of them, IMO) that they intend to get that blind drunk, but that they're fairly new to drinking and don't have a good idea of how much they can safely consume, don't know if there's a particular beverage that affects them badly, etc. The bars here in said college town do call cabs and pay the fare, they run a monthly tab with the cab companies. I really wish this was a universal thing.

Last edited:
I think there should be a campaign started nation wide that educates college students and young adults on the dangers of drinking and bodies of water near the walk home. We focus only on drinking and driving but there have been enough cases in the last couple years alone that demonstrate drinking and walking can also be dangerous.

The older I get the more I think alcohol is just so damaging and I hate that partying and being drunk is so normalied in American society, especially for people in their 20s. The video of Riley walking with his head down reminds me of the few times that I have been drunk. My head felt so heavy that I couldn't keep it up, was just a mess, saying and doing stupid stuff, waking up sick the next morning. Nothing cool or fun about being drunk imo

Back in the days when I drank, I liked water views because they were so serene and peaceful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imaguppynotashark