Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing from a bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
But what if they are all high and intoxicated, what happens then? Do people assign a sober person to babysit a group of individuals who have consumed tons of alcohol? Logistics would suggest it doesn't work. It would be like herding cats.

I wonder about the legal drinking age sometimes and how it seems to coincide with a time in a young adult's life where they are officially independent, away from home in new setting, meeting new people and everything feels exciting and new. Up until they turn 21 it's illegal to drink so it stand to reason that the time they've officially become an adult is the time they also overindulge.
I love the idea of a buddy system, but agree that it doesn't work if everyone is intoxicated. I've had lots of discussions with my college student about drinking responsibly, about being a leader and about making good choices. I've said that if everyone is drinking, who will be making those good choices? No one. So it's great to have someone assigned to be the designated sober person. And if that ends up being my child more often than not, that's ok. I want it to be ok for them. I've reminded them that being the sober one is often amusing as drunk people can be funny! And it's good to be protective of anyone in the group who is more vulnerable. Sadly, though, I think I'm in the minority of parents.

this has also happened a lot in the upper midwest of the United States where there are a lot of lakes

going to pee and stumbling/losing balance makes sense. also makes sense we don't really see this happening with women because most likely the vast majority of women aren't going to be inclined to go pee in a body of water
It happens in Northern New York as well, where there are many rural colleges and bodies of water - including lakes, rivers, streams, etc. So many of these kinds of accidents could be avoided if young adults would use the buddy system.

I had a friend who liked to drink too much, to the point, she would need to be carried. We used to just call her dad and he would come pick her up. He never got mad at us or at her even, at least in front of us. I don't think he did though, although he should have had a talk with her about her drinking. He always thanked us for calling him and making sure she was safe.

Last edited:
I know
MAR 13, 2024
The Tennessee Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC) has opened an investigation after a Missouri college student went missing from downtown Nashville while on a fraternity formal.

[...]

“I wish that number one, they would’ve just called him an Uber or cab, or I mean something or waited for their friends, let him wait for his friends,” said Michelle Whiteid, Strain’s mom. “And I wish that somebody on the street would have helped him, just anyone. There were so many people; somebody has to know something… he would have helped anyone.”

Metro police told News 2 they are still working to collect surveillance video of the area. On Wednesday, March 13, Strain’s parents said they themselves had seen limited surveillance footage. They called on Luke Bryan directly for help.

[...]
I know so many others have said this, but as a mom, this is heartbreaking. We need to shift, as a society, away from being so isolated. If just one person had asked if he needed help or even followed him and called the police...though there are so many people drunk and wandering in towns like this, I don't know that anything would've been done. So so so sad. JMO

Why didn't somebody help? I can understand a parent's frustration, but I can hazard a guess as to why nobody stepped forward to help a stumbling drunk, 6 foot 5 inch young man. I think most everyone has experience with "mean drunks"--those people who when drink, turn mean, and want to fight. All it takes is one experience like that to make a smart person avoid drunk people all together. Expecting a stranger to help a drunk man is asking a lot. If anyone is going to help a drunk young college student, it is their friends--and I really wonder why none of his frat buddies helped him. Someone must have seen him get "kicked out" of that bar. Why didn't one of his buddies help him? There is more of this story than is being told. What happened in that bar? That's what I am wondering. JMO.

A frat buddy tried, apparently.

Possibly RS took off so fast in the wrong direction disappearing in the crowds and mayhem of 2nd St?

[..]
His friends last saw him on March 8 after they were kicked out of Luke Bryan's bar at 301 Broadway. His friend Brayden said he lost sight of him after they got kicked out and began looking for him.
[...]
Parents speak about missing 22-year-old Riley Strain last seen Friday night on Broadway

[...]
His parents said the Springfield, Missouri, native was in town with 50 of his fraternity brothers, and not one of them left the bar to make sure he was OK.

“I'm got going to lie — it's a little hard to know that somebody didn't go with,” said Riley’s stepfather, Chris Whiteid.
[...]
Emergency crews search river for missing college student Riley Strain

[...]
For some reason, none of Riley's fraternity brothers followed him as he planned to head back to his hotel.

According to Riley's family, his fraternity brothers didn't realize Riley never made it back to the hotel until early Saturday morning.
[...]
New video, 911 call give more details into the night Riley Strain disappeared in Nashville

[…]
“At approximately 9:45 p.m., he was asked to leave Luke Bryan’s bar,” Chris Whiteid explained. “They got separated. The boys called him, and he said I’m walking back to my hotel. They didn’t think anything about it.”

When the guys got back to the Tempo Hotel, they saw his Strain’s room key but did not see their fraternity brother. When they tried to call him, his phone was dead.

The boys told Chris Whiteid they went out searching for hours, checking his SnapChat locations, and assumed he made his way back to one of the other 30 fraternity brothers’ rooms.

“They started going through all the fraternity brothers’ rooms and nobody had him, so at that point, they called us,” Chris Whiteid said.

[…]

They said his Life360 ping and heads filled with confusion are all they have.

[…]

Son visiting Nashville on college trip disappears

all imo

Thank you...so do the drunk men see water and think I'd love to go for a midnight swim I wonder? To cool down?
We'd have to question those who survived drunk swimming to find out.

"Men had elevated risks for exposure, risk taking, and alcohol use. It was concluded that several factors contribute to their relatively high drowning rates, including a possible interaction between overestimation of abilities and heavy alcohol use."
I feel like it's a "bathroom" thing perhaps.

I live in MI and a 36 year old man was found in an HVAC room where he went to shelter. Could Riley possibly have done something like that if he suffered a head injury?
Whatever happened to him, I think a head injury is extremely possible as a cause rather than intoxication. I wonder if there are any witnesses or cameras that verify if he hit his head. It looks like he does.

they've checked dilapidated buildings and storm drains.
don't believe a crime is involved.
using multiple resources
last seen between the 2 bridges
homeless encampment down there
no sign of him on camera on birch st. building, between the bridges I think
parking garage checked
trying to find the homeless individual who saw him in the area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics