GUILTY CA - Laci Peterson, 27, pregnant, Modesto, 24 Dec 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM. Actually, LAIP is a member of the network of state Innocence Projects founded by the Innocence Project. They all do excellent work!
JMO

Together with other innocence organizations, we work to broaden the reach of the innocence movement. We are the headquarters of the Innocence Network, a coalition of more than 70 independently funded organizations that provide investigative support, legal representation, and assistance to people with claims of innocence in 50 states and 12 countries outside of the U.S. Innocence Network member organizations have collectively exonerated more than 750 wrongfully convicted people since the Network was founded in 2005.
Statement on Developments in the Scott Peterson Case in California - Innocence Project January 18, 2024, the Los Angeles Innocence Project filed motions seeking DNA testing and post-conviction discovery on behalf of its client, Scott Peterson. Any and all inquiries about Mr. Peterson’s case should be directed to the Los Angeles Innocence Project, a non-profit organization wholly independent of the Innocence Project.

Statement on Developments in the Scott Peterson Case in California - Innocence Project January 18, 2024, the Los Angeles Innocence Project filed motions seeking DNA testing and post-conviction discovery on behalf of its client, Scott Peterson. Any and all inquiries about Mr. Peterson’s case should be directed to the Los Angeles Innocence Project, a non-profit organization wholly independent of the Innocence Project.
I did love how they made it clear they weren’t involved in this. A lot of damage has been done though by people associating the LA innocence project with the national one.

Don't know if it's been posted yet, but I glanced at an article today stating that his defense is now claiming that Laci was kidnapped during a neighborhood robbery. If they had any evidence of this, other than anecdotal, why not bring it up during trial??? Now is not the time for alternative theories. His guilt has been proven.
I thought Geragos brought up the "brown van" as a little red herring during the trial

I thought Geragos brought up the "brown van" as a little red herring during the trial
It’s all so silly. Not only do some burglars kidnap a pregnant woman, but they murder her, weigh her down, and dump her in the very body of water where her husband claimed to have been fishing.

BBM. Evidently, the Innocence Project is getting media inquiries and the statement is intended to redirect those inquiries.

The LAIP is, in fact, a member of the Innocence Network, which was established by the Innocence Project. There is a directory on the link below.

JMO

It’s all so silly. Not only do some burglars kidnap a pregnant woman, but they murder her, weigh her down, and dump her in the very body of water where her husband claimed to have been fishing.
Allegedly the "real killers" wanted to frame Scott Peterson for the murder so they dumped her body right where he was fishing the day she disappeared.

So apparently these killers learned that Scott had been fishing in the bay and decided it would be safe for them to go there to depose of her body and frame Scott at the same time. No worries about LE searching for Laci and being caught red handed with her body.

I just don't see that happening. It would make more sense to get rid of a body where there's less likelihood of a LE presence. And why try to frame Scott when these "real killers" would have no idea what evidence LE had at that time.

The burglars as the killers doesn't work for me at all. JMO.

Allegedly the "real killers" wanted to frame Scott Peterson for the murder so they dumped her body right where he was fishing the day she disappeared.

So apparently these killers learned that Scott had been fishing in the bay and decided it would be safe for them to go there to depose of her body and frame Scott at the same time. No worries about LE searching for Laci and being caught red handed with her body.

I just don't see that happening. It would make more sense to get rid of a body where there's less likelihood of a LE presence. And why try to frame Scott when these "real killers" would have no idea what evidence LE had at that time.

The burglars as the killers doesn't work for me at all. JMO.
I could see that happening, only in a really terrible movie.

I don't get what Scott's former lawyer is saying about possible new DNA evidence.

If they find the DNA of the burglars on some items related to the burglary how does that help Scott? Or if they find some previously unknown persons DNA on these items? That would tie them to the burglary and not Laci's murder.

I think the reporter had it right when she suggested if Laci's DNA is not found then this pretty much ends this inquiry. JMO.

I don't get what Scott's former lawyer is saying about possible new DNA evidence.

If they find the DNA of the burglars on some of items related to the burglary how does that help Scott? Or if they find some previously unknown persons DNA on these items? That would tie them to the burglary and not Laci's murder.

I think the reporter had it right when she suggested if Laci's DNA is not found then this pretty much ends this inquiry. JMO.
My guess is that they are looking for two things. First, test the DNA found in the van/mattress to see if any is Laci's. Second, they are asking to test items found with or near where Laci's body was found to see if THAT dna matches any found in the van. Again, that is just my guess.

Shouldn't the person who did murder a woman and baby be prosecuted for it?

The testing has 6 months to either vindicate Peterson or keep him in prison.

JMO

4. New Evidence Shows That Laci Was Abducted But Not Killed On December 24, 2002. On December 28, 2002, eyewitness Tom Harshman reported to police that he had just seen a pregnant woman fitting Laci Peterson’s description being pushed into a van earlier that day, just north of La Loma Park. (Exh. 19 [Decl. of Tom Harshman] at ¶¶ 3–11.)

5. Police Failed To Investigate Whether An Incendiary Van Fire, Discovered In The Airport District Early In The Morning On December 25, 2002, Was Related To Laci’s Abduction. A witness told police he had seen the Petersons’ dog in La Loma Park as well as “a bright orange” vehicle that “reminded him of a Cal Trans vehicle,” with “[a] ‘gang banger’ type [H]ispanic male” getting out of the van. (Exh. 2 at ¶¶ 51–54; Exh. 5 at ¶ 81.)
pg. 131...Considering the new evidence presented in this motion, including (1) D.M.’s confession to participating in not only the burglary of the Medina residence, but also the disappearance of Laci Peterson, (2) the public’s widespread knowledge of Mr. Peterson’s whereabouts on December 24, 2002, due to the Modesto Police Department’s decision to publicize that information, (3) Ralston’s review of sonar images and ROV footage and numerous cadaver dog alerts in a location apart from where Mr. Peterson was boating on December 24, 2002, i.e., not around Brooks Island, (4) confirmed sightings of large amounts of crabs feeding in the area of Ralston’s sonar images, consistent with the state of Laci’s remains and particles on the Target bag and duct tape, and (5) Laci’s shredded clothing fitting Ralston’s description of what he saw on the ROV footage when he believed he located a body, the evidence plausibly suggests that someone other than Mr. Peterson is responsible for the deaths of Laci and Conner and depositing their bodies in San Francisco Bay.

DNA results favorable to Mr. Peterson from the evidence collected from the orange van, on or near Laci and Conner’s remains, and the Medina burglary would undermine the prosecution’s theory that Mr. Peterson was the last person to see Laci alive and point to or even possibly identify the actual perpetrator(s) of those crimes.

There is thus a reasonable probability that the verdict or sentence would have been more favorable to Mr. Peterson if the results of DNA testing on those evidence items had been available at the time of conviction. 6. The Evidence Sought To Be Tested Either Has Not Been Previously Tested Or, For The Items Of Evidence That Were Previously Tested, The Requested DNA Testing Would Provide Results That Are Reasonably More Discriminating And Probative Of The Identity Of The Perpetrator (Pen. Code, § 1405, subd. (g)(6)).

While the duct tape from Laci’s pants and the stained fabric from the back of the burned orange van have been previously tested for DNA, additional testing is needed. The tape from Laci’s pants was tested in 2003 and shown to have human DNA present but “the DNA was not of an acceptable quality to generate a profile.” (90 RT 17206–17207, 17221.) More sensitive testing today could provide more information and possibly enough for a genetic profile that could identify the perpetrator(s) of the crimes against Laci and Conner Peterson. The stained mattress from the orange van was limited and not conducted in a manner that was reasonably designed to produce results that would identify individuals who may have been present in the van, so additional testing is warranted. (Exh. 13 at ¶¶ 21–23.)

Shouldn't the person who did murder a woman and baby be prosecuted for it?

The testing has 6 months to either vindicate Peterson or keep him in prison.

JMO

4. New Evidence Shows That Laci Was Abducted But Not Killed On December 24, 2002. On December 28, 2002, eyewitness Tom Harshman reported to police that he had just seen a pregnant woman fitting Laci Peterson’s description being pushed into a van earlier that day, just north of La Loma Park. (Exh. 19 [Decl. of Tom Harshman] at ¶¶ 3–11.)

5. Police Failed To Investigate Whether An Incendiary Van Fire, Discovered In The Airport District Early In The Morning On December 25, 2002, Was Related To Laci’s Abduction. A witness told police he had seen the Petersons’ dog in La Loma Park as well as “a bright orange” vehicle that “reminded him of a Cal Trans vehicle,” with “[a] ‘gang banger’ type [H]ispanic male” getting out of the van. (Exh. 2 at ¶¶ 51–54; Exh. 5 at ¶ 81.)
pg. 131...Considering the new evidence presented in this motion, including (1) D.M.’s confession to participating in not only the burglary of the Medina residence, but also the disappearance of Laci Peterson, (2) the public’s widespread knowledge of Mr. Peterson’s whereabouts on December 24, 2002, due to the Modesto Police Department’s decision to publicize that information, (3) Ralston’s review of sonar images and ROV footage and numerous cadaver dog alerts in a location apart from where Mr. Peterson was boating on December 24, 2002, i.e., not around Brooks Island, (4) confirmed sightings of large amounts of crabs feeding in the area of Ralston’s sonar images, consistent with the state of Laci’s remains and particles on the Target bag and duct tape, and (5) Laci’s shredded clothing fitting Ralston’s description of what he saw on the ROV footage when he believed he located a body, the evidence plausibly suggests that someone other than Mr. Peterson is responsible for the deaths of Laci and Conner and depositing their bodies in San Francisco Bay.

DNA results favorable to Mr. Peterson from the evidence collected from the orange van, on or near Laci and Conner’s remains, and the Medina burglary would undermine the prosecution’s theory that Mr. Peterson was the last person to see Laci alive and point to or even possibly identify the actual perpetrator(s) of those crimes.

There is thus a reasonable probability that the verdict or sentence would have been more favorable to Mr. Peterson if the results of DNA testing on those evidence items had been available at the time of conviction. 6. The Evidence Sought To Be Tested Either Has Not Been Previously Tested Or, For The Items Of Evidence That Were Previously Tested, The Requested DNA Testing Would Provide Results That Are Reasonably More Discriminating And Probative Of The Identity Of The Perpetrator (Pen. Code, § 1405, subd. (g)(6)).

While the duct tape from Laci’s pants and the stained fabric from the back of the burned orange van have been previously tested for DNA, additional testing is needed. The tape from Laci’s pants was tested in 2003 and shown to have human DNA present but “the DNA was not of an acceptable quality to generate a profile.” (90 RT 17206–17207, 17221.) More sensitive testing today could provide more information and possibly enough for a genetic profile that could identify the perpetrator(s) of the crimes against Laci and Conner Peterson. The stained mattress from the orange van was limited and not conducted in a manner that was reasonably designed to produce results that would identify individuals who may have been present in the van, so additional testing is warranted. (Exh. 13 at ¶¶ 21–23.)
That person has been prosecuted and found guilty already. Are you joking?

If they find the DNA of the burglars on some items related to the burglary how does that help Scott? Or if they find some previously unknown persons DNA on these items? That would tie them to the burglary and not Laci's murder.

His lawyer said in the hearing that they're not on a fishing expedition, but that's what it looks like. They don't appear to know that there's any specific evidence there that will help them, they're just hoping to find some. It's a farfetched reach imo and a waste of their donors' money. I don't get why they're staking their reputation to this dubious cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member