Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing from a bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, apparently nobody did see his staggering around that night, or fall, and then call police but to be realistic, he was walking pretty fast. Even if someone had called, short of them actively ollowing him to keep track of him to let LE know his ongoing location, cops would have never gotten to where a person would have initially said they'd seen him (location). Remember, this isn't a sleep l ittle one horse town, this is an incredibly busy area of downtown Nashville, tons of touristis, tons of pedestrian traffic, tons of intoxicated people staggering around, I'm sure. I really don't think that calling the cops would have helped, imo they wouldn't have responded or located him quickly enough, just based on reality.
Busy is right as are tons of intoxicated people. The guy at the Smoke shop who saw Riley stumbling by, and who spoke to Riley's crying mom, said he sees such sights 5 times a day, and thus didn't think to call 911. Now knowing what happened, he regrets that, but at the same time are cops going to even come because someone saw a drunk person staggering by his shop?

From personal experience, calling the cops and saying you see someone who might be a little too drunk stumbling around in a major city doesn’t make them respond with any sense of urgency whatsoever. Maybe if they’re getting into fights or trying to drive, but not just walking around visibly drunk. What I’m more curious about is the lack of beat cops that seemed to be out in a popular bar area—I also live in an East Coast city (though bigger than Nashville) and most of the going out strips have cops patrolling on foot and by car…

MOO.

I think they were "barred from leaving" until they paid their bill
If the picture posted earlier by DeDee is accurate, then it looks more like a 'pay-as-you-go' venue than one where you can run a tab. It would be impossible to chase down the the patrons to get bills paid.

Source: Years of working in college town bars coupled with years of drinking in college town bars.

If his Apple watch had the health features, eg. heart rate, respiratory rate, blood oxygen etc. Time of death...no heartbeat? Not sure. Also if the watch's battery is depleted, I imagine it wouldn't show anything?
Remotely, I have no idea. Can the info be accessed through the Cloud?

eta. # of steps, rate and distance. In Karen Read's case, the steps recorded on O'Keefe's phone are inconsistent with Read having hit and killed him while backing up. But in that case they had his phone (or watch)

Riley had a very nice iPhone. The 911 caller told the dispatch it's an iPhone 15 Max Pro. It's the Cadillac of phones.

iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max

Do you suppose he could have gotten mugged and it went wrong?
Edit: I suppose most muggers wouldn't hide their marks sfter the fact, though. . .

ATT, I'm leaning on Riley finding himself at the bridge with the homeless encampment where his phone died or was switched off. He could have sat down or laid down to rest a bit among them. It's possible, if this happened, that his pockets were easily picked. LE has interviewed two homeless people who said they saw Riley. There's more to come.

That’s where I’m at. He’s a grown man and responsible for his own actions, but at the same time, you look out for your friends.

Not only did no one leave with him, but they apparently didn’t even notice that he didn’t make it back to the hotel until the next day.

Back in my college days there were times when a friend was thrown out without us knowing, but when we did know, someone always went with them.
Right. And none of Natalee Holloway’s friends noticed she was missing until they were all ready to leave Aruba the next morning. They were partying with Jordan Vandersloot and his friends, saw her get into a car with them, they returned to the hotel and she didn’t, and I guess they all passed out until the alarm went off. And that was a group of females who sadly should have been looking out for their fellow female friend, but who were pretty drunk themselves. I don’t recall the details though as it has been so long, but maybe the girls she was with were not her hotel roommates, but my point is that people get a bit overly trusting and cocky and probably don’t feel it’s their responsibility to check on everyone they were with especially if they were inebriated too. Sad.

It’s all very worrisome, because he should have slept it off, and even if his pockets were picked and phone and cards taken, a big, smart college guy would know how to get in touch with his fraternity friends, hotel, and family. It’s as if he met with an accident or foul play.

ATT, I'm leaning on Riley finding himself at the bridge with the homeless encampment where his phone died or was switched off. He could have sat down or laid down to rest a bit among them. It's possible, if this happened, that his pockets were easily picked. LE has interviewed two homeless people who said they saw Riley. There's more to come.
That's the thing though. I've never found the majority of homeless people to be very good witnesses. I'm a bit skeptical. Just MO.

Last edited:
I live in Portland. Downtown at night, or even in the day, is full of people completely zonked on something or the other and you just don’t go up to them and offer “help.” We have had tourists assaulted and stabbed just for being in the wrong place, or even for looking at someone.

Once someone is an adult you can just presume that unless they are on the ground bleeding, or ask for help themselves, it is not good policy to approach them. Senior citizens and children are different of course as they are more vulnerable and pose almost no threat.
Yeah, honestly, if I called the police on everyone I saw stumbling around in broad daylight I’m pretty sure I’d get laughed at. Really, it’s just the way it in our culture.

And I have called police. They helped not at all. A woman who was so intoxicated that she wasn’t able to walk as well as Riley was trying to get into the entryway of our security building. It was late at night and she was likely cold and, again, couldn’t really walk. Silly me, I called the police. A police woman came up and started yelling at her to get up and move along. Prodded and prodded her to start moving again, yelling at and mocking her about how she’d been more drunk than her and could walk, so what’s the problem. The woman struggled to get on her feet, and she stumbled down the sidewalk. Never saw her again. Don’t know if she was raped, got hit by a car, died of exposure or whatever.

I stopped calling police long, long ago.

Yeah, honestly, if I called the police on everyone I saw stumbling around in broad daylight I’m pretty sure I’d get laughed at. Really, it’s just the way it in our culture.

And I have called police. They helped not at all. A woman who was so intoxicated that she wasn’t able to walk as well as Riley was trying to get into the entryway of our security building. It was late at night and she was likely cold and, again, couldn’t really walk. Silly me, I called the police. A police woman came up and started yelling at her to get up and move along. Prodded and prodded her to start moving again, yelling at and mocking her about how she’d been more drunk than her and could walk, so what’s the problem. The woman struggled to get on her feet, and she stumbled down the sidewalk. Never saw her again. Don’t know if she was raped, got hit by a car, died of exposure or whatever.

I stopped calling police long, long ago.
My strategy has always been to ask for EMS. In many places the police are backlogged, and you're not going to get a timely response for something like that. EMS has always shown up for me in minutes.

I’m not sure what you mean. I called 911. Is there something else to call?
I say that I need EMS specifically and play up the medical component. They've always been stationary at that point though, which is a difference. "They're not very responsive. I think they've taken something..."

Mar 15, 2024
Riley Strain's family focused on homeless camp, river search

Family friend and spokesman says..."I actually had a lady that I'm working some very good leads with that was actually out in the camps last night...."
Wondering if this is the lady that brings food and water to the homeless there.
Possible that what she may have seen is not published due to investigative reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M.Lee