Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing from a bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it interesting that the bar's issued statement says that Riley was served one drink and then two waters. Did he cut himself off of the booze or did the bar tell him he has had enough and gave him water instead. Would somebody at that level of inebriation suddenly realize they need to stop drinking and drink water?
I’d be surprised if he himself realized it in that moment. Likely the bar staff began to serve water. Or maybe one of the fraternity friends?

I'm still curious why they aren't releasing the last known video.

From the article:

Surveillance video last captures Strain on Gay Street near the James Robertson Bridge, according to Metro Police. However, investigators have not released that specific video to the public.

And:

He said Strain continued in the same direction up First Avenue. However, that's where Strain's trail stops. No other footage or cell phone activity go beyond that point, circa 10 p.m.

Other security footage just a block up, from the Justice A. A. Birch Building, doesn't appear to show Strain pass by, according to his family

A previous article:

MAR 14, 2024
The latest surveillance video that police are reviewing reportedly shows Strain walking north on Gay Street in between the Woodland Street Bridge and James Robertson Parkway Bridge, Nielsen said. Strain's family told KOMU 8 that the video captures Strain walking at 9:52 p.m. Friday. KOMU 8 has not seen the new surveillance video that police and Strain's family referenced.
That’s perplexing. What would be the point in withholding the footage?

On Saturday, Strain’s father, Ryan Gilbert, told WKRN the family has learned Strain’s Apple Watch location services had never been set up, ruining a lead they were hoping would bring them answers.

“We’re ready to get this over with. We want some answers,” Gilbert said. “We’re a week in, it’s not getting any easier. Time seems like it’s really to the critical point, and we want to ask anybody, if they know anything, to please share it.”

I don’t. It means absolutely nothing to a bar employee whether someone stays, especially when you’re talking about one that size. I can see them wanting someone to leave, but not the other way around.

What seals this however, is that if this friend paid his tab and then went after Riley, then they’d know he didn’t make it back to the hotel before they did, which was something like 16 hours later.

This second hand account didn’t pass the sniff test for me the second we heard it, and based on the bars account and the 911 call, it can’t possibly be true.

I do understand why that friend would make that claim though.
I bow to your superior knowledge of bars. I have practically none. Plus, you have more knowledge of how guys out drinking together behave. You may be right on target.

However, I will say, a 5 or better percent tip might be an incentive for enterprising servers. Upthread, somewhere, was posted the info that patrons give their card one time, it is swiped and returned. Patrons who don't stop and close out their tabs are charged a 15% gratuity when the server closes out for the shift. A server accustomed to receiving 20% tips might be motivated to get customers to close out their tabs and write in the amount of the tip.

Having worked in a number of fields over the decades, I don't recall a single one in which each employee did not develop certain individual ways of doing things.

If someone had figured out how to increase tips, they would pass that hint right along to co-workers.

MAR 17, 2024
Authorities in Nashville spent Saturday looking for missing Springfield native and University of Missouri student Riley Strain.

According to WSMV, Nashville emergency officials used two sonar boats, four canines, one Nashville Fire Department boat and crew, one dive team, and one drone and operator. Crews used the canines to narrow down an area near the Riverfront Park. They sent a team of divers into the water.

[...]

Emergency officials wrapped up their search around 2:30 p.m. Officials said they would not continue their search on Sunday unless they were requested by the Metro Nashville Police Department to do so, Loney said.

[...]

There's too many things we just don't know. Very odd situation with the fraternity brothers telling half truths and mistruths about the situation at the bar that night. Hopefully they're properly investigated.
For better, or for worse, I dont think they are going to be investigated.

At the end of the day, putting a strong spin on- or an out right fabrication as to why they did not make a greater effort to get RS to his hotel room is not a criminal matter.

For better, or for worse, I dont think they are going to be investigated.

At the end of the day, putting a strong spin on- or an out right fabrication as to why they did not make a greater effort to get RS to his hotel room is not a criminal matter.
Has anyone mentioned if there are working video cameras inside the bar? Maybe if someone slipped something into his drink it would show up on the camera. This bar is well known according to an article I read for women getting "roofied".

That's where his trail goes cold. :(

So sad. And the feeling of so close and yet so far . . . I'm sure they're all searching every inch of that block. When I saw that rock wall that appeared to be perfect resting height for a guy Riley's size, I wondered if he'd sat for a moment and perhaps fallen over the back the couldn't get back up. With the brambles eventually pushing themselves back up, Riley might be fairly well covered and out of sight of anyone looking over the top.

And I know I'm being silly. Because they are undoubtedly searching and searching again that block. I just wonder how far someone that drunk and with perhaps a head injury could actually stay on their feet without collapsing.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>
It seems to be a major problem in the Nashville bar scene. Some suggesting that the bartender or employees are involved due to how frequent it is happening. The local news has even talked about there being a "roofie problem" in the city and how implementing safe bar measures is needed.
How is Nashville addressing its roofie problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

Friday, March 8

At 9:35 p.m.: Strain was kicked out of the bar. He was followed down the stairs by one of his friends but his friend did not exit and returned upstairs.

Around 9:45 p.m.: Surveillance video from Downtown Smoke & Vape Shop on Church Street caught Riley stumbling and falling in a parking lot at 3rd Avenue and Church Street.

At 9:47 p.m.: Surveillance video caught Strain crossing 1st Avenue North to Gay Street.

At 9:52 p.m.: Video shows Strain walking north on Gay Street in between the Woodland Street Bridge and James Robertson Parkway Bridge. (This video has not been released)

Between 9:55 p.m. and 10 p.m.: Strain’s last phone ping was near James Robertson Parkway and Gay Street. Last phone conversation with one of his friends. Per LE, the phone ping covered about a two-mile radius and didn’t give them a direction of travel or any more detailed information.

Around 10 p.m.: A man who lives near the river, down an embankment from Gay Street, saw Riley stumble in/near the bushes. He said Riley continued in the same direction up First Avenue. Security footage just a block up, from the Justice A. A. Birch Building, doesn't appear to show Strain pass by, according to his family.

Like you, I've wondered if he sought shelter. I thought one of the construction sites, but crews would have found him.

He could have looked for somewhere to shelter along the river (I know they've been searching the banks too). We know he appeared to hit his head quite hard, so I wonder if the blow was hard enough that he died from it hours later -- somewhere he'd hidden and laid down to sleep.
If he did hit his head really hard, it could be a situation like Bob Saget’s death. The theory is that he fell and hit his head, went to bed and died- probably of a brain bleed. That could very well be the case with Riley tho I’d think they would’ve found him somewhere by now, no? I know it’s a large area, but I get the impression there have been large search parties. (Unless he is in the river). JMO

All IMHO
It is odd how many of these cases end with the missing person ending up in the water and not being found until the water gives them up.
I suppose it makes perfect sense though because if they just passed out in the bushes/ out of sight they would wake up at some point and make their way back and wouldn’t be missing. Likely they make it back before they are officially reported missing or someone uses data to “find their friend” passed out in the bushes and retrieves them.
That must happen with some regularity and we just never hear about it.
Obviously they don’t make their way back when they end up in the water.
It is so predictable and excruciatingly sad.
It’s a very, very strong pattern- the first thing that any of us who have followed similar stories think about.
My heart goes out to Riley’s family and friends. Praying they find him today.

was he actually hammered ?
He looked to me like every absolutely hammered person I’ve ever seen. They’d been bar hopping, and almost certainly pregaming prior to that.

With his build, I can’t imagine it would have taken much. A male with his friends doesn’t profile as a likely roofie victim in the first place, and there’s absolutely no evidence that occurred here.

This speculation came from that family friend who also claimed his friends were prohibited from leaving with him.

Alcohol explains everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s perplexing. What would be the point in withholding the footage?
Maybe...

1) There's someone else in the video and LE wants to avoid casting blame on that person. SM is vicious...

2) The video has sensitive content. Ex: Riley relieving himself or something along those lines.

3) The video is unclear in some way?

I dunno. Just some thoughts. MOO

As a young guy I wonder if his tolerance for alcohol was pretty low and this was not a norm for him. He looked beyond drunk. He was “hammered” by all appearances.

Also wonder how much he really drank before he landed at Luke Bryan’s? I hope this wasn’t some “hazing” type deal. Fraternity guys and all.

At the end of the day, I fear that Riley has succumbed and will be found in the River.

Alcohol is a dangerous drug. It kills just as others do.

So very sad for Riley and his family.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members