Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing from a bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may be a liability issue. If he were to injure someone (falling or something), the bar could be sued.
Dram Shop Liability Not Limited to Drivers

Remember that dram shop laws don’t just apply to driving. Any injury caused by any drunk person can lead to a dram shop lawsuit. So, if someone is drunk and falls on you, the dram shop law would apply and you could hold the business that sold the alcohol liable for your injuries, assuming you could demonstrate the other requirements of the statute.
I hope they release the bar footage. I’m interested to see if he actually drank two waters, or even one. Do bars charge for a water in hopes to “circumvent” the dram shop lawsuits. Paper trail…Basically, ensuring less, or no, liability should the person they kicked out for being over served cause an accident or in a case like RS.

Just thinking out loud…..

<modsnip-quoted post was snipped>

MANY- In fact, I know many college kids that carry liquid IV, Nuun, etc... to help with hydration. 2 orders of water could have been friends helping him, or him trying to sober up. Seems everyone thinks his friends are garbage and he's just another Mizzou "frat boy".

<modsnip>

ETA- There are many things that could have happened (intentionally or unintentionally). Until I have more information, I'll reserve judgement.
<modsnip - quoted post was snipped>There must be a reasonable explanation for the two waters. I assumed he needed them to quench his thirst. I have been around sororities and fraternities most of my life. My nephews who, 4 out of 5, pledged to a Fraternity. The other one wanted to live off campus and just pay dues so he could attend their parties. Hence, I know more about them, in general,... That's a broad brush stroke. I also follow the NOV 2022 murders of 4 Idaho college students that has a lot of news about fraternities mentioned.

pledge: a solemn promise or undertaking

Last edited by a moderator:
Possible that Riley in his drunken state thought someone was after him (possibly someone from the homeless encampment) and started down the slope toward the river to "escape" dropping his debit card in the process. In the process, he may have stumbled and fell into the river.
It’s possible. The only way this could come to light in terms of law enforcement is if there was a witness or witnesses who come forward. Why they haven’t yet would be a question, unless they are ashamed to admit they watched and laughed, and are waiting for their conscience to kick in.

I think the credit card is a red herring. I don't believe it was given back to him at the bar. If Riley's body is in the river, I do believe he was pushed.

JMO

So the Bar murdered him for his phone?

The way I see it in my head after reading every post here and in the Facebook group is this:
<modsnip - no MSM source/rumor>

This case hits home for so many reasons. I have a teenage boy. I also was in Nashville in October and was at Luke Bryan’s bar. The hotel we stayed at was on Gay street, right around the corner from where the bank card was found.

So sad for his family.

The figure seen running away from the last ping area between the bridges....could that be the person Riley interacted with during the "commotion"? (The homeless man yelling up the slope, and the man saying...he's ok, just a drunk").
The timing is right on.
It's chilling to think Riley may have been victim to this guy......possibly.
If so, what happened to Riley? Went down the slope to escape and ended up in the water? Pushed down?
Did this guy steal his phone....possibly?

is that video of someone running away available here on this thread?

It may have started as a mugging and escalated for whatever reason
Perhaps because he resisted, or tried to force the mugger to return the apparently expensive phone due to the cost?

As a side note, I have tried again and again to encourage to my children and their friends to view phones as semi disposible utilitarian tools- and to only buy used, moderately priced phones.

Not only do phones tend to get lost, but schools in my area have had some very violent incidents stemming from students trying to retrieve expensive phones.

As a side note, some professional salvage divers are said to carry only inexpensive dive knives to lessen the temptation to take risks in retrieving them.

I think the credit card is a red herring. I don't believe it was given back to him at the bar. If Riley's body is in the river, I do believe he was pushed.

JMO

If not given back to him, where did it come from?

I hope they release the bar footage. I’m interested to see if he actually drank two waters, or even one. Do bars charge for a water in hopes to “circumvent” the dram shop lawsuits.
I have never been charged for water by bar employees- and I frequent alot of bars as my wife and I have an unwritten agreement not to keep alcohol in our home.

Some bar employees have even given me a free fountain coke sans charge when I stated that I did not have money for another drink, but was waiting for my wife to get off work.

Employees at another bar I frequent put out a big thermos of free tea in the Texas summer- its not going to win any awards, but its free.

Though bar employees can offer a variety of free courtesies, one thing they cannot do is protect people from themselves.

Last edited:
The way I see it in my head after reading every post here and in the Facebook group is this:
<modsnip - no MSM or LE source>

This case hits home for so many reasons. I have a teenage boy. I also was in Nashville in October and was at Luke Bryan’s bar. The hotel we stayed at was on Gay street, right around the corner from where the bank card was found.

So sad for his family.
BBM Except the homeless guy who was interviewed said after he was told "He’s just drunk, he’s okay," Riley continued in the same direction up First Avenue. MOO

Welcome to Websleuths, by the way! :)

<modsnip - quoted post was snipped>There must be a reasonable explanation for the two waters. I assumed he needed them to quench his thirst. I have been around sororities and fraternities most of my life. My nephews who, 4 out of 5, pledged to a Fraternity. The other one wanted to live off campus and just pay dues so he could attend their parties. Hence, I know more about them, in general,... That's a broad brush stroke. I also follow the NOV 2022 murders of 4 Idaho college students that has a lot of news about fraternities mentioned.

pledge: a solemn promise or undertaking

I can think of numerous reasons for the waters. It could be his friends trying to help. It could be the kid trying to get right. Both are common every day of the week across the globe.

Liquid iv, Nuun, Gatorade, etc...are carried by many people I know of all ages (many in college, high school, etc...)

If you've been around sororities and fraternities your whole life, this shouldn't surprise you. It happens all the time. (and we don't even have the information, so it's all speculative)

I know I've have this conversation with my children, but I hope others aren't relying on brotherhood/sisterhood to protect them at all costs. They're still young.

Danny Santulli - Where was his fraternity? Oh wait.

The problem with that is somebody would've had to follow him for his entire route through town before taking his phone, cards, or whatever, since his last contact with friends was between 9:55 and 10:00pm. I don't think that's very likely. MOO
Also, I'm sure police would have watched the footage from each location where he was seen, to check whether anyone/car was following. The footage is remarkably clear.

There are cases where LE have spotted that someone was being followed at a distance.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member