Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #3

Tragic. Sending all my positive energy to Riley's family and friends.

As someone who both went to Mizzou and grew up in Nashville, this one really struck home. Glad to see the city is looking at measures to improve safety downtown as a direct response to this tragedy. Ugh, so sad.

I'm just caught up.
Seeing the words "found deceased" in the title, I felt as if gut punched.
So devastating and heart breaking.
We expected this, yet it feels all too real now.

My heartfelt condolences to his mom, stepfather, dad and all who loved him. May they have all the support possible.
So so sorry.....
Rest in peace, dear Riley.

It’s possible, but I would presume much of the wallet’s contents would be waterlogged after two weeks, although plastic like a driver’s license should be legible.

I hate saying it, but a body in the water for two weeks is typically unrecognizable. I would guess his unusual height was the most overt clue. The water wouldn’t change that, if he was in one piece (sorry to have to say this).

I said awhile ago that I also feel terrible for Officer Young. I really do. From the video there was absolutely nothing tangible to indicate that Riley was headed for trouble, but I imagine the officer will beat himself up with the “if only” thoughts.

In NYC, cops do not normally say “how ya doin’” when they pass by. They are too too busy, there are way too many people walking by, and it’s not Southern culture here, of course. I thought it was remarkable that the officer on the way to a car burglary even bothered to greet Riley in the first place.

JMO
It was said that he was wearing the same shirt and watch which lead them to believe it was Riley. Personally, I doubt they’d confirm identity solely based on his height.

But I also read that when he was kicked out one of his friends started leaving with him. Then the bar refused to let the friend go with him. ????? Did anyone else read that? Seems impossible but …
Moo
Claims by friends that they were ohhh so desperate to accompany him, but were then stopped by bar employees with Gestapo attitudes and forced to settle their tabs in an excruciatingly slow process while their beloved fraternity brother slipped out of sight....

Should be taken very heavily salted.

Bar tabs are secured by credit cards in advance. People can leave at anytime. The card is then auto charged after a tip is added.

In the end, and seeking to stifle frustration, but it is frustrating seeing people want to assign blame to bar staff in this case....

Nice college boys can still make bad personal decisions regarding alcohol. Other nice college students can lie to put themselves in a better light. Bar employees try hard to find the mystical balance between safety and personal choices. They dont, however, have crystal balls.

He's young and dumb like most this age think they are invincible. They go out or away with plans to get wasted because somehow that's a good time. I'm not knocking him nor do I mean to sound harsh. I'm a mom with bad experiences from my own kids. They aren't bad people, just make poor choices. We need to change the idea that alcohol is fun. We need to change the party experience, happy hour, 1/2 price drinks, party buses and spring break vacation ideas to things that don't involve alcohol, especially Excessive alcohol.
Rest in Peace Riley, prayers for his family and friends.
It's the drinking to get drunk that's a problem. Riley wasn't the first and he won't be the last.

I'm hearing that Riley was found with his shirt on, despite the extensive NewsNation coverage of a homeless man wearing it.

I'm growing frustrated with TV host Ashleigh Banfield putting out misinformation. She and NewsNation need to be called out on this.

I'm hearing that Riley was found with his shirt on, despite the extensive NewsNation coverage of a homeless man wearing it.

I'm growing frustrated with TV host Ashleigh Banfield putting out misinformation. She and NewsNation need to be called out on this.
But she was only reporting what they had been told by a witness. News reports are only as accurate as the source.

This has been so sad to read through. Hopefully the officials can try to make this area safer. Too many tragedies happening in and around that waterway. And, hopefully they can install more surveillance. I know they didn't release everything, but from what I was able to watch, they can do better.

So sad. If only he’d been in an ER receiving treatment those first few days. :(

Missing University of Missouri Student Riley Strain Found Dead

Whiteid told PEOPLE that they visited "every emergency room" in Nashville, hoping to find Strain.

Don’t have much to add other than to echo that it took the wind out of my sails to see that Riley was found deceased. Even when it was the logical conclusion, it is so sad to see how this ended.

Especially young men who drink more than they normally do due to a celebration with a group of other young men, all out having a really good time!
Has it been discussed where he and the frat guys were before they were at the last bar, where he was asked to leave?? If he had only 1 drink and 2 waters there, that would hardly make him as incapacitated as he looked to be. Wonder if his drink was messed with i.e. drugs??

But she was only reporting what they had been told by a witness. News reports are only as accurate as the source.
I disagree. Journalists and editors of reputable news outlets don't publish statements from unverified witnesses who lack any proof or confirmation. Eg, a photograph, with a name and phone number so the journalist can follow up. Otherwise, those are called rumours, and just aren't published, same as on this forum.

JMO

So so sad. I feel terrible for his family and especially his mom. :(

I also read that the bar only served him one drink and then 2 waters. Has anyone (media)interviewed his friends?

What was the conduct that got him kicked out of the bar? He seems(ed) :( so non-aggressive.

But I also read that when he was kicked out one of his friends started leaving with him. Then the bar refused to let the friend go with him. ????? Did anyone else read that? Seems impossible but …

Moo
He was served one alcoholic beverage at THIS bar. His mom confirmed that he was at two other bars before this one. Others have suggested that the group were probably drinking on the bus trip and at the hotel- I concur.

While family (or spokesperson- I forget) confirmed that he was ejected for a conduct violation, they did not describe it, only said it was not an altercation with another customer. The violation was described as a "good deed". My *purely speculative guess* is that he touched a server, not in an aggressive way, maybe to "adjust" an article of clothing or something like that. More than incidental touching of bar staff is a sure way to get the boot from most places...but who knows? It's moot at this point.

Sad, but not unexpected ending : (

This....I totally agree. I have watched Ashleigh for a long time but her reporting on this has been totally off-putting...almost like tabloidish.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BJarv
Back