Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vic has the “no body, no parole” doesn’t it?

“Convicted baby killer Keli Lane has been denied parole under NSW's new ‘no body, no parole’ laws.
In a statement, the State Parole Authority said it was "not satisfied that the offender has co-operated satisfactorily in police investigations, or other actions, to identify the location of Tegan". The laws compel the Authority to deny her release on parole until she cooperates with police to find the location of baby Tegan's remains.”

Last edited:

“Telltale signs police may be closing in on her body include 1) a media opportunity to showcase the search for Ms Murphy's earlier this week (above) which a source noted sparked 'publicity (that) can get people talking 2) Police said fresh 'intelligence' had led them to the site in Buninyong 3) The use of technology detector.”

'What we're seeing here is likely intel offered up by people who might be persuaded with suggestions that remaining quiet could be considered aiding a suspected killer.'”

“Police advised the search was based off 'new intelligence from a number of sources' which had led them to return to comb through bushland in the Buninyong area.

Only one photographer and a television cameraman was permitted to enter the bush in what was later described by one of those operators as 'a show“

“The source claimed police would have been keeping a close eye and ear on Stephenson following that search.

'This kind of publicity can get people talking. Whether it's to another inmate, on the phones or to a plant,' he said.

While prison calls are all monitored by staff, countless inmates have incriminated themselves over the years by disclosing information on them.

Undercover police officers are also known to pose as inmates while alleged offenders await trials.“

“Telltale signs police may be closing in on her body include 1) a media opportunity to showcase the search for Ms Murphy's earlier this week (above) which a source noted sparked 'publicity (that) can get people talking 2) Police said fresh 'intelligence' had led them to the site in Buninyong 3) The use of technology detector.”

'What we're seeing here is likely intel offered up by people who might be persuaded with suggestions that remaining quiet could be considered aiding a suspected killer.'”

“Police advised the search was based off 'new intelligence from a number of sources' which had led them to return to comb through bushland in the Buninyong area.

Only one photographer and a television cameraman was permitted to enter the bush in what was later described by one of those operators as 'a show“

“The source claimed police would have been keeping a close eye and ear on Stephenson following that search.

'This kind of publicity can get people talking. Whether it's to another inmate, on the phones or to a plant,' he said.

While prison calls are all monitored by staff, countless inmates have incriminated themselves over the years by disclosing information on them.

Undercover police officers are also known to pose as inmates while alleged offenders await trials.“
Would they reveal if they’d found the phone or watch or anything relevant in this week’s search?
As mentioned already, a lot of big resources were thrown at a specific location for a limited amount of time.
Would they invest so much if the odds of a pay off were highly doubtful or very small?

This line from the article jumped out at me:

• She is presumed dead and buried in the bush

That's the first time I've seen anyone report that she's suspected to have been buried, specifically, as opposed to just left somewhere, put in a mine, covered with brush, or any of a number of other ways there are to hide or dispose of a body. I know it's the Daily Mail so it could just be them taking the usual liberties, but I wonder if they do have any intel that this is something the police believe happened.

I am trying to ascertain the probabilities - say compared to someone like Greg Lynn, if you are familiar with him?

Not trying to derail? sorry.

But PS is 22 years old and has made mistakes - to bring him under arrest so far. IMO

Just trying to work out the probabilities of whether he is such a mastermind to successfully conceal SM longterm. Obviously they haven't found SM - so he has been successful. I am just wondering why that is?

Did he act impulsively first - regardless of risk - CCTV, phone pings but after that he was a mastermind. Is that possible?? MOO
I tend to think he is not a ‘mastermind’, and that her body is somewhere that falls within a distance that he could have travelled to, dealt with and disposed of in the limited timeframe between 9am(?) and the time when phone pinged again later in the afternoon 5pm(?).
Based on this there is a ~8 hour return trip window. So if her body isn’t located close to where he encountered her, then it’s within radius of 4 hour drive from Ballarat (travelling at 100km/Hr this could be ~400km away - which means potentially over SA, and NSW borders), most likely an area PS has some familiarity with (if he is a dirt bike rider, then possibly remote bush area he has been to or considered before). If he disposed of the body by driving it away from the initial incident location, then there is extremely high likelihood of cctv and dashcam footage showing segments of this trip. Potentially also purchase of fuel, although if this was his intention, he may have had or purchased fuel for fuel tanks he could have taken with him). I think pattern of police search activity would have already indicated this already, so looking less likely.
If he disposed of her more locally, again I’m not of opinion it was mastermind-fully planned, I think he had been more ‘lucky’. Given terrain and landmarks, I’m tending to think a mine shaft because neither the body nor the devices haven’t yet been discovered with the extensive searching or burial. If she had been buried, I’m surprised signs of disturbance haven’t already been detected in searching. Dirt samples in tires and inside his ute may become very important if that’s the case.
Additional thoughts - if he did go with more local disposal site, then potentially he had an 8 hour window to dispose of SM. A sizeable hole could be excavated in such a timeframe. But this does beg question of whether he was spotted doing this by anyone in the vicinity but also how he accounted for his absence? Did he take a bike with him as guise for going riding for the day? Did he have his phone off and then claim he was in an out-of-coverage area?

Last edited:
Can I ask a random question about bail? I have googled a bit, but I'm hoping those with a bit more experience sleuthing will know the answers for Victoria. Can anyone, accused of any crime, apply for bail? AFAIK, there has been no mention of the accused applying for bail. From prior discussions here it seems that should the accused be found guilty, time spent in remand will come off his sentence, and remand is preferable to big boy prison. I would assume, based on the crime, that bail would be denied. Obviously I can't get inside anyone's head, but if you were not guilty, and confident of not being found guilty, would you not apply for bail to regain your rightful freedom? His hearing (or whatever it is) is 6 months from the time he was arrested. That's a long time just to get to the hearing, I assume a trial will then be many months later, if not a couple of years. That's a long time to sit in remand if you didn't do the crime. MOO
In Australia, bail is not generally granted for murder or treason.

HB, in VIctoria ,, and in most states, it is quite rare to get bail if you're charged with murder, there has to be really extenuating circumstances, and even then, it is still rare. That is probably one reason his barrister, lawyer, did not ask for bail. A refusal would have been almost certain. And this looks bad, the optics of it are not positive. Better not to ask.

There are no barriers to asking for bail, though. Anyone CAN ask, lots of people ask for it, and are granted it, providing they come up with the bail money, but not many charged with murder. The risk to the public is unacceptable, mostly.

Yes, it's a long time to sit in remand. His case will be moved along smartly, since it is a Supreme Court case, ( not a magistrates court, or a County court case ) as murder is, but even that takes a couple of months, sometimes longer.
From arrest to sentencing, and High Court appeal, I believe Baden Clay's case took 4 years.

I think he kept a trophy. I am sure he thought, no one can connect me to this killing. I want something to memorialize this event, something I can keep in secret, and take out ,and stroke it, possibly wear it, hold it in my hands..... phone, watch... this is my first shot at this , I want a memento, ear rings, rings.. mine. mine , mine..
He’s 20 whatever, I think more along lines of digital trophy in form a picture/video. I’m not convinced he has kept a physical item.

Shane Patton says, he has said nothing. He also said nothing at his hearing at the Magistrates court, except for agreeing with the magistrate that he could hear the magistrate. He was asked if he could hear, and he said , 'yes'.

That's it.
Can I just say…he sounds like a narcissistic “donkey’s butt”

I tend to think he is not a ‘mastermind’, and that her body is somewhere that falls within a distance that he could have travelled to, dealt with and disposed of in the limited timeframe between 9am(?) and the time when phone pinged again later in the afternoon 5pm(?).
Based on this there is a ~8 hour return trip window. So if her body isn’t located close to where he encountered her, then it’s within radius of 4 hour drive from Ballarat (travelling at 100km/Hr this could be ~400km away - which means potentially over SA, and NSW borders), most likely an area PS has some familiarity with (if he is a dirt bike rider, then possibly remote bush area he has been to or considered before). If he disposed of the body by driving it away from the initial incident location, then there is extremely high likelihood of cctv and dashcam footage showing segments of this trip. Potentially also purchase of fuel, although if this was his intention, he may have had or purchased fuel for fuel tanks he could have taken with him). I think pattern of police search activity would have already indicated this already, so looking less likely.
If he disposed of her more locally, again I’m not of opinion it was mastermind-fully planned, I think he had been more ‘lucky’. Given terrain and landmarks, I’m tending to think a mine shaft because neither the body nor the devices haven’t yet been discovered with the extensive searching or burial. If she had been buried, I’m surprised signs of disturbance haven’t already been detected in searching. Dirt samples in tires and inside his ute may become very important if that’s the case.
Police would have interviewed family and friends, for times PS was seen, on the Sunday.
This would limit time periods for SM being moved.
He could have moved her several times, even in the following days: perhaps further info required from family and friend, when PS had been seen.
I guess, interviews, CCTV, phone info, etc may be helpful, in trying to 'pin point' times, SM's body may have been moved.
Hope, we eventually hear, once SM's body is located.

That's the first time I've seen anyone report that she's suspected to have been buried, specifically, as opposed to just left somewhere, put in a mine, covered with brush, or any of a number of other ways there are to hide or dispose of a body. I know it's the Daily Mail so it could just be them taking the usual liberties, but I wonder if they do have any intel that this is something the police believe happened.
Crikey., Hestia . that's a bold claim there, in the DF.. er, DM. First I have heard of that actually stated in a newspaper. Hard to tell if that came from the police, or from around the water cooler at the DM.

That would mean he had a shovel with him, and a pickaxe. The ground is hard as , in the bush, been baking all summer, too, and that the dogs have missed it.. I don't know. Or he left her there, and went home for the equipment. You can't actually dig a grave, in the bush, with your bare hands. A shallow dip, maybe. It would take hours. ...

But anything is possible. .. . probable.. .. hard to dig a grave silently, too. . lots of banging and shuffling, groaning and puffing.. .. put me in the skeptical basket, on this one,

• She is presumed dead and buried in the bush

I think it is the reporter forming a conclusion because the searches that police have allowed us to see have been in bushland (as opposed to a mine or a dam or someone's back garden, for example).

The article does not mention more detail about that, further into the body of the article. It is an attention seeking sub-heading of the article.

It is probably not a bad conclusion ... if the mines in the area seem undisturbed, and considering the time it would take to weight down a body successfully so that it sank to the bottom of a dam.

imo

Would they reveal if they’d found the phone or watch or anything relevant in this week’s search?
As mentioned already, a lot of big resources were thrown at a specific location for a limited amount of time.
Would they invest so much if the odds of a pay off were highly doubtful or very small?

Maybe they did find those items and the subsequent search using tech dogs on Thursday at a ‘different location ‘was a show , or red herring .OMO.

Daily Mail Intel can be misleading. The last article shared here said the accused was holed up and hiding in a country home the past month, when everything else indicates he was going to work, going out for drinks with friends and continuing life as normal. He was even arrested in his work clothes at 6a.m

But temporarily residing in a vacant home = "holed up and in hiding"

So his strategy is to wait for the brief of evidence, see what it reveals, and then admit to <potentially> lesser crimes than he committed.

It would be nutty (for him) to make any decisions or admissions before he and his lawyer see the brief of evidence.

He obviously wants to get out of this situation (if he can) in the most favourable way for himself. imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant